PDA

View Full Version : Parallels

FBR
04-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Any of you guys know much about Parallels?

My IT is an Apple junkie because of no virus issues, superior interface etc and is trying to convince me to switch away from my Windows machine. I have a few important applications that only run under Windows but he claims with Parallels I won't know the difference.

What about gaming? I'm not a huge gamer but I do like to fire up a single player FPS once in a while.

FBR

mr_punk
04-05-2007, 05:33 AM
i thought so. it's an emulation program. i've used Virtual PC in the past and the computer would just bog down. also, the double boot was a pain in the ass. however, judging strictly from the reviews. it sounds like this program is a much better: http://lunapark6.com/parallels-desktop-for-mac.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,126824-page,1-c,utilities/article.html

What about gaming? I'm not a huge gamer but I do like to fire up a single player FPS once in a while.well, it doesn't support 3D acceleration, but it's supposed to supported in an upcoming version. still, it might not be a problem depending on system requirements of the games you play.

Casual Observer
04-05-2007, 04:07 PM
If you like gaming, stop right there. Macs still suck for gaming, though they just suck less than they used to...World of Warcraft, for example. Don't think you can boot up STALKER or Red Orchestra with it and get anything approaching a good gaming experience.

As to whether or not Parallels is the right move for you, that's entirely dependent on your Windows applications. Just because something can run under Parallels, doesn't mean it will run like it does under Windows natively.

There are other issues to consider with regard to platform changes--initial hardware costs, productivity losses attributed to learning the new interface (The GUI of OS X isn't better than WinXP or Vista, it's merely different), and as ever the case, availability of applications both now and in the future.

All that said, now that Apple has a real OS paired with real hardware (basically, PC hardware), it's the best time in probably 25 years to own an Apple.

xdamage
04-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Agreed with the comments above. If you like playing 3-D PC games then I'd stick with Windows. C.O. is right regarding the notion that a lot of times people confuse the different they know with "better". Often times what people refer to as "intuitive' is just what they learned.

For fun I I like playing around with Linux, and I've been testing Vista by running these OSs using VMWare as virtual PCs within Windows XP. They both run fine that way, but forget about playing 3-D games in VMWare sessions. I'd probably try out OS-X if Apple hadn't tied the OS so tightly to their hardware, but that's the way Apple does business; they sell hardware, and the OS is kind of secondary to that. Anyway, XP, Vista, various Linux distributions, they all do more or less the same things but in slight different ways. Which is best really depends on some pretty subtle factors (e.g., do you need OS source code? do you like fiddling with lots of free open source code? do you search files a lot? do you play lots of PC 3-D games? and more).

Howie
11-26-2007, 05:26 PM
The last computer I purchased has Vista on it and I hate, hate, hate it. I was too cheap to pay the extra $$$ to "upgrade" to XP. Nothing works the way I expected it to. Next time I will explore buying a MAC if my programs will run on it. Never been so pissed at MicroSoft before. What were they thinking?

Lunarobverse
11-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Parallels (and VMware) is not an "emulator". If you're running Windows under Parallels, you're actually running Windows on Intel hardware, just as you would on any other Intel machine.

The difference is that you're running Windows as if it were a program on Mac OS, not as the sole operating system. So Windows, and any programs you'd run in Windows, are going to run just as well as they would on the equivalent hardware; the only caveat being it will only be using as much RAM and HDD space as you allow Parallels to use, I believe.

And if the game you want to run doesn't run properly under Parallels/VMWare on Mac OS.... just dual-boot with Boot Camp and run freakin' Windows all by its lonesome. PC World tested a bunch of laptops with Vista (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html) and the name of the laptop that ran Vista fastest rhymes with "Scrapple BackLook Show". :)

Katrine
11-26-2007, 10:07 PM
I was thinking of the parallel port. Sheesh, if you don't keep up with technology, might as well never have known a thing. I can't even find a decent pirated copy of Vista anymore (not that I'd want to ;) )

FBR
11-26-2007, 10:12 PM
^^ lunar thanks for the input. My IT has convinced me that my software of choice will run on a Mac. So I will probably go that route when I upgrade next.

FBR

Lunarobverse
11-26-2007, 11:07 PM
Cool, glad I could help out a bro!

lestat1
11-26-2007, 11:19 PM
I usually just go like this: | |

Ferret
12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
I've heard remarks from software gurus that Parallels performs in impressive fashion.