PDA

View Full Version : Oh My ...

Hot2Trot
04-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Is it me or did it just get hot in here?

>This (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20070409/sc_livescience/newharddrivesholdaterabyteofdata)< reminded me of you lunchbox ;) .

Oh yeah!

Perhaps I won't be needing those floppy disks after all ...

:flirt: .

xdamage
04-11-2007, 08:41 PM
If you have need of a terrabyte worth of storage, and have no plan to back it up in case of harddrive failure, or deletion/corruption due to a virus/worm, you deserve the pain of losing it all. Basically anyone that needs one of these also needs a 2nd and possibly a 3rd to do a proper mirror + backup solution, so figure more like $1000/$1500. But then ... there was a time not so long ago when 25 MEGABYTE harddrives cost many thousands of dollars, and the drives were the size of washing machines, and the cartridges the size of man hole covers. Pretty amazing how much has changed in such a short period of time.

Hot2Trot
04-18-2007, 09:30 AM
xdamage, you are seriously speaking jargon to me with the "proper mirror + backup solution" bit ;) .

Perhaps you can enlighten me on some of this information?

For example, I do have massive amounts of files that I need to "backup" and have no idea how to do so. I have been using my hardrive out of ignorance, since I don't trust CD's for sh*t - Just one, scratch (whatever) and your info is eternally wiped out;

I know (now) that I should be not be backing up on my hard drive;
Don't yell at me; LoL :P ) .

For right now I am looking for the least expensive, yet most effective solution. I chocked this up to be floppy disks, but you all laughed at me when I said that :blush:.

Can I use an external hard drive? What kind? What do I look for in the specifications?

Thanks.

:flirt: .

xdamage
04-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Actually, you can often scratch CDs without losing data (for the Engineering types, it's been designed that way, data is interleaved so that a typical scratch does not affect a lot of continuous data, and is error corrected on two levels so missing data can be detected and recovered). The same is true of DVDs; you'd be surprised how resistant they are to light scratches, although a heavy scratch, particularly in the direction of the spin can cause data loss.

Writeable CDs and DVDs are relatively cheap so you can make multiple copies, but that's a pain to do.

The reason everyone laughed about the floppy disks is they hold such a small amount of data, and guess what, they can go bad too! And they don't even hold much data - like 1.44mb for the typical PC floppy, not even enough to put a song file on without spanning disks.

If your computer has a USB 2.0 port, the minimal solution would be to buy an external USB 2.0 backup drive, plug it in, and copy all files by hand. Better would be to use a backup program and set it up to copy your data files. The one I use would be too complex for your needs, and since I use raid mirrors I don't need to do any backups by hand. I'll leave it to others to suggest a backup program that might work for you.

If your computer has a USB 1.x port, then you could still consider an external USB drive as most will work, but copy times will be very very very (did I say very?) slow.

Most of us would also consider adding an internal drive but that requires a bit more knowledge and there is a risk of damaging your system.

p.s. a mirror solution requires a raid controller and two drives, all data is written to both drives so if you lose one you can replace it, and not lose any data, but setting up a raid is not something I'd be able to explain online here. The thing is a raid mirror just protects your data if one drive goes bad, but it does nothing for you if you get a virus/worm that damages or deletes your data. So you still really need yet another drive and backup plan to keep a copy of your data on a drive that virus/worm cannot damage. I do both, mirror + backup, but again, not something that can be easily explained on line.