PDA

View Full Version : so, did anyone buy a Jesus phone?

mr_punk
07-01-2007, 06:22 AM
i was mesmerized by the hype and was going to seek salvation (ie: buy) at the local apple store. however, i changed my mind once i saw the long line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjYWJkGBXA

GenWar
07-01-2007, 05:37 PM
I turned away at the line on Friday.

But I stopped by an Apple store in NJ on my weekly drive through the Garden State and picked one up. I am registering it now...I'll let you know.

Mrs. Gen is still pissed about some dude buying an 8 gb iPhone for his 7 year old son. *shrug*

-gen

mr_punk
07-01-2007, 09:02 PM
But I stopped by an Apple store in NJ on my weekly drive through the Garden State and picked one up. I am registering it now...I'll let you know.what? you mean, it didn't turn a glass of water into a Chateau Lafite out of the box?

GenWar
07-02-2007, 05:14 AM
what? you mean, it didn't turn a glass of water into a Chateau Lafite out of the box?

Approaching the 12 hour mark and the thing is still not working. I am still "Waiting for (them) to process my authorization" or whatever. Truthfully, starting to get a little pissed.

-gen

xdamage
07-02-2007, 06:50 AM
I think I'm going to pass or at least wait a year. As much as I like gadgets, I already have a PDA, an IPod, and a cell phone. The IPhone is a nice combo device, but it's sort of a case of it's another combo device that does a lot of things mediocre vs doing all things well. Plus I guess I want to wait and see how long it takes for Apple to work out all of the bugs.

In the case of my PDA I have several software programs I depend on, plus it has a stylus, several apps to take notes (verbally, writing free-hand, writing on a virtual keyboard, etc.) I'd really miss those.

In the case of my IPod, I have a 30GB model and love not having to screw around with picking what to listen to in advance. The smaller 4GB or 8GB in the IPhone means I'm back to having to pick and choose in advance what to take with me.

Then there is the cell phone, which is nothing special, but the rate for 4 lines is a fraction of what it would be for 4 IPhones. I do like the unlimited data anywhere and web browser/email of the IPhone, but I get by with my PDA and it's WiFi capability. There are usually WiFi services in hotels, and some restaurants.

Plus there is the issue of battery life, and having to trade off talk time for music, and PDA time. With 3 devices if I run one down the other 2 don't stop working. Still, maybe I'll look again next year. The IPhone looks slick and as combo devices go it has a lot of appeal, but I'm in no rush. I think if I didn't already have these other devices I'd be more inclined to buy one now.

SeppeSai
07-02-2007, 07:55 AM
I joke with the ATF that the iPhone is perfect for her and when it was announced, I told her that she was the first one I thought of that such a device was aimed at.

The high-end phone she recently acquired takes care of her phone/PDA work and she received an iPod from me as a thank you gift, so she's already covered for all that stuff, though.

It wouldn't surprise me to see her with one one of these days, though. She loves that stuff.

lunchbox
07-02-2007, 05:12 PM
I'll spend 600+ on a phone later this month when the ubiquio 503g comes out.

GenWar
07-03-2007, 06:58 AM
well, I got it working. It took about
36 hours but it's done.

GenWar
07-03-2007, 06:35 PM
^^^ I posted that from the iPhone. It is great. Probably not worth the massive cash outlay but a fun, great toy. :)

Katrine
07-03-2007, 10:13 PM
Are cell phones the new penises?

xdamage
07-04-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm sure you've heard the old saying -

The Difference Between Men and Boys is the Price of their Toys

Toys rock.

doc-catfish
07-05-2007, 02:48 PM
With 3 devices if I run one down the other 2 don't stop working.
Also with 3 devices, you still have access to the other two (not to mention all the critical data inside them) should one get lost, stolen, or broken. Convergence has its downside you know.

But just to review:
Doc's MP3 player = his two computers. I do have a CD walkman that can play MP3 files off of CD-Rs.
Doc's cell phone = $60 old school Nokia prepaid phone. No cool flip, no camera, no color screen, no nothing...but for about $10 month and no service plan...it does the job.
Doc's PDA = Don't have one, don't need one...unless the address book of the cell phone counts.

So I must still be a boy, or a man that would rather save his money for toys that he actually wants.

Much like the PT Cruiser, Harry Potter books, and the PS3, I personally don't see why all the iPhone hype is about, other than to relieve a bunch of people of their money for a somewhat mediocre product, and provide Applesnobs another means of rubbing in how hip they are all while they drink their overpriced lattes and show off their gay emo wardrobes to their gay emo friends. (Not in anyway implying that GW is gay, or worse yet emo for buying an iPhone. You know how he always tests drives everything for us).

This posting on another board, albeit intended as a joke, expresses my sentiments:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/archive/topic/187548-1.html

mr_punk
07-07-2007, 07:06 AM
Are cell phones the new penises?actually, it's a new feature on the jesus phone. although, the iPhone is slim. it's width and height make it rather bulky to fit inside a pocket comfortably. which makes it perfect for stuffing it into one's underwear. however, apple warns users not to set it to vibrate.

Katrine
07-07-2007, 03:33 PM
I'd love to have one, and have gotten many Apple products as gifts over the years from boys in love with me. Hmmmm....next victim?

Guenevere
07-07-2007, 03:43 PM
My cousin bought one and called me on it to brag *mumbling incoherent curses* I guess there's a month trial period that you can return the phone if you don't like it? Anyone heard of that?

We just had to buy the hubby a new phone two months ago so he'll be giving me his new blackberry pearl and we'll be buying him the iPhone soon. We're Apple freaks so we have to get it!

GenWar
07-07-2007, 08:14 PM
When I bought mine, the lady said I had 14 days to return for any reason or 30 days if I had problems with AT&T Service. Little did I know it was a foreshadowing omen.

-gen

xdamage
07-09-2007, 07:29 AM
When I bought mine, the lady said I had 14 days to return for any reason or 30 days if I had problems with AT&T Service. Little did I know it was a foreshadowing omen.

-gen

I am curious what you're impressions are of this gizmo. Sounds like you're having issues???

GenWar
07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
My previous phone was a OLD nokia that came free with my contract back in 2004. It was absolutely ancient with no email, no camera, no color screen...nuthin. It could text but that was about it. I knew I needed a new phone and for some reason I decided to ignore how much I hate apple, how much I hate new technology (6 months til Vista, can't wait!), and how much I hate apple (did I mention that?) and get an iPhone. Indeed, as sensitive as I am, I found myself reading doc's description above and laughing so hard that I forgot to be offended :)

Impressions? hmm: Let's see...

Texting - The QWERTY keyboard is nice. it is much faster than the number pad. However, it is very difficult to text while driving, as, with the thumb pad they have, you HAVE to look at the screen while you text or you end up with gibberish. So far, I have just been swerving a lot. But the features of keeping the text conversation indefinitely and text correction on the fly (not that lame "Karnov the magnificant says you want THIS word..." crap that most phones do...it simply gives a potential fill in word as you type and you just hit space to use it.) are both very helpful.

Calendar - Been using it. Didn't want or need it but I been using it.

Photos - I don't own a camera. So the 2 megapixel jobbie on the phone is a nice little tool. I have been screwing with it but I think I will probably stick with my current photo system ("Hey, honey, come get a shot of this!")

YouTube - Everyone I know and have come in contact with has seen the SNL Short "Dick in a Box" with Justin Timberlake. Other than that, haven't used it.

Stocks - yeah. right.

Maps - Well, Rhonda has a pretty good GPS system, so this hasn't come up much. I might be loving it when I travel somewhere other than by car, but that hasn't happened yet.

Weather - I had hoped for more (I am a weather freak) but the brief link to Yahoo's Weather service is SOMETHING more than the old phone has. I check the temperature almost hourly but I imagine most people...don't.

Clocks - They're pretty.

Calculator - This rocks...it is like a full size calculator with normal buttons. I do like the calculator.

Notes - this is actually handy. I used to have endless slips of paper in my pockets with notes to myself. I have cut that in half with this feature. Addresses. Movie times. Notes to self. Receipts for charges. All of it goes in the phone.

Phone - The Bluetooth 2.0 is nice to interface with Rhonda's bluetooth capabilities. There is nothing like speakerphone in the car. Other than that, it is a phone with a nice fancy interface.

Mail - It IS nice to get work email all the time. Right now, the IT guys are still trying to figure out how to let me send mail without "opening up our server to the whole world." They'll get it eventually...meanwhile, just reading it is a god's send.

Safari - This web browser is pretty cool. It is TINY...and the zoom can be tricky...it apparantly only wants to zoom on stuff it thinks is relevant and a lot of times that area is full of links. So it can be challenging to zoom without clicking (tapping the screen is tapping the screen). Also, it will choke on some pages I visit and kick me out to the main screen. This can be annoying.

IPod - Haven't used it. Haven't uploaded one damn song or movie. Hey, I have an 80 gb Ipod that is half full and I don't listen to IT. What do I need another 4 gigs of stuff not to listen to for?

On the whole, I am happy with it. My wife paid a substantial portion of it as a birthday gift, so I didn't spend $550 like most people. And I needed a new phone anyway. If you are NOT a technophile/geek, $500 doesn't mean a lot to you and you are in the market for a new phone anyway, I say get it. It is cute and fun and it impresses people. If you're broke or have a good functioning phone, you will regret the investment. If you are a geek, you'll have more fun with increased functionality, including expansion options and the new Generation 3 internet available. Further, the people who it impresses will only annoy you with their questions.

Just one man's random thoughts...

-gen

Oh yeah...my issues. The Activation was a freaking NIGHTMARE. Ironically, this is because I was already a cingular customer. Technically, I was an AT&T Wireless customer for years and years. Then Cingular bought them. So the network was not integrated...I was a "blue" customer in the "orange" world. (Their terms, I shit you not.) So, the online activation didn't work. I had to call three times before I lucked on to someone with a clue. They sent me to a store to get my color changed and then I tried again. STILL didn't. I basically spent 2.5 hours on two different phone lines with two different tech support numbers before they got me working. Once I was working, it's been mostly smooth sailing since. If you are not a Cingular customer, it should be a much smoother process for you. Which doesn't make a lick of sense.

xdamage
07-09-2007, 03:14 PM
One of the guys at work bought one and brought it in. First impression is that it's pretty slick, but the devil is in the details. A few weeks from now is when he should have a good sense of what works well, and what doesn't.

FBR
07-09-2007, 06:49 PM
I have a junky old ordinary cell phone. I mean, I can take pictures (although I dont know how to download them so I dont bother) but I cant do all the other cool stuff. But, on the other hand, Verizon gave us the 15 phones for free to get our business.

I should be having penis envy but Im not. There must be something wrong with me.

FBR

mr_punk
07-09-2007, 09:24 PM
One of the guys at work bought one and brought it in. First impression is that it's pretty slick, but the devil is in the details.true, it almost always seems to be the case with first generation technology.

Casual Observer
07-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Please...it's not even a 3G phone. It's on a slow-ass network with spotty coverage. It doesn't support Flash or Java.

Admittedly, it's a nice interface, but I won't be giving away my Blackberry anytime soon.

lestat1
07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
The day any cell phone sounds better during a phone call than a $19 land-line phone from Walmart, then I'll be impressed. From what I've experienced and what I've heard and read, there does not yet exist such a cell phone.

aggieed
07-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Strangely enough, given my occupation being surrounded by the latest and greatest in technology, I actually shy away from the stuff outside the office. My phone is two years old and does nothing but phone calls...no camera, no music, nothing. I don't carry a bunch of electronic gear either like Batman and his belt of accessories.

So no, I didn't buy a "Jesus" phone and have no desire to do so.

Mastridonicus
07-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Please...it's not even a 3G phone. It's on a slow-ass network with spotty coverage. It doesn't support Flash or Java.

Admittedly, it's a nice interface, but I won't be giving away my Blackberry anytime soon.

If you own an xv6700 (or similar)...you can flash update to AKU 3.5 seamlessly and get a theme that duplicates the interface....*whistle*

Oh, and btw, the iPhone is nice. Really, Like most things Apple, it takes what a lot of people don't know, and makes it SIMPLE. However...that commercial where it shows the business, then the phone number in a nice little layout, so you can click n call all from maps.app?

Well when there is a typo? or incomplete number? Nothing shows up. Not the WRONG information. NOTHING.

There is a TON of stuff like that. They'll work it out I'm sure, (I only fucked with the software on an emulator) but you can't provide updates and software revisions on a phone. You're buying a phone. Other features are nice, but the PHONING ability needs to be solid and unchanged.

Also, smsthreader is a great app for all windows mobile users who want IM style threads.

My 2 cents

I PICKED this phone cause I can put my mp3's and movies on there (4g of space) and with PIE and/or Opera I can view youtube and shit, plus with wireless I can use it as a skype phone and have network accessible shit. So to me, the iPhone is all that, just not with the ability to troubleshoot problems. Blah blah blah.

Richard_Head
09-09-2007, 02:39 PM
Probably old news by now but Apple has cut the price of the iPhone by $200, you can now get it for $399, here's a link (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/8gb-iphone-price-cut-by-200-4gb-iphone-gone-296705.php).

Any more feedback on it now that it's been out a bit?

Mastridonicus
09-30-2007, 02:18 PM
http://iphone.unlock.no/

*whistles*

Lapaholic
09-30-2007, 03:16 PM
^^ Apple released a software update that pretty much makes any hacked iphone unworkable. http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-bziphon0930,0,1695711.story

I thought it also may disable some non-hacked iphone but I cant find that source - damn!