Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gum, candy, medical supplies--what, am I a walking Walmart?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,119 Times in 2,651 Posts

Default Gum, candy, medical supplies--what, am I a walking Walmart?

I got into the habit of buying candy for the dancers from working with an Old School SC DJ, the immortal Indian--whom I believe Mr C has met (which is very cool and somehow not surprising). At first I thought it was dumb, since I hate candy, but you could see they loved it. He didn't get where he did by being a dumbass.

So it was no surprise to discover, when I started at this club, that the DJ was expected to buy gum for the dancers. But what I quickly discovered, and rapidly grew to get annoyed about, was that we were supposed to buy gum for the entire fucking bar--even customers would take it! But the dancers would freak out if you happened to run out early, they would get severely stressed about it, it was ridiculous.

The senior DJ when I started didn't give a fuck, he just piled the gum up there, which is in some ways a great idea--and he is one of the best I have ever encountered. But I'll be damned if it'll be taken for granted from me, LOL.

One of the bouncers would start the night by just taking an entire pack of gum from the night's supply without even asking. When I was running out a couple times and saw dancers giving gum to customers, and told the dancers not to give customers gum, they looked at me like I was the biggest jerk/idiot ever. I didn't argue about it, but that's when I started keeping the fucking gum inside the booth instead of on the ledge where every asshole in the club could just help themselves to free fucking gum.

One of the managers tried to suggest I keep the gum on the ledge, I refused. But this bouncer was the worst, he would get indignant about the gum issue, like it was his Holy Right to Gum, and started actually sneaking/stealing a pack when he thought I wasn't looking.

The fucking guy actually bitched at me one night when I brought up how stupid it was. "Well the other DJ did it." Well, I don't care what the other DJ did, I have never been required to buy gum for the entire bar in any other club. "As much money as you make, blah blah..." I couldn't believe it. As I told him, I am not a walking Walmart.

He's buying his own gum now.

Right now I have two waitresses pissed off at me because I told them no more gum when I was running out a couple weeks ago, can you believe this shit? I finally got sick of it and cleared the air with one of them tonight, after the absurdity of it struck me even more clearly. The other one is still pissed, but she knows I could give a flying fuck, lol.

I actually don't mind buying the fucking aspirin, gum, superglue, etc. for the dancers--what the hell, they tip me really well, I like taking care of them. What's funny is, you can see when you explain to everyone else how stupid it is, they really can't argue with you. I mean, WTF?
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

Thanks

Default Re: Gum, candy, medical supplies--what, am I a walking Walmart?

well at least they dont expect you to buy tampons for their lazy asses.................or do they?

Thanks

Haha! No, they don't expect it, but I have been asked if I had any in emergency situations. So hell yeah I bought some, as well as every legal medicine there is, superglue, band-aids rubber bands for money, you name it.

If they cop an attitude because I don't have any of whatever it is, tough shit--but they don't. And if you always have what they need, they tend to tip very well--like a lot more than a few packs of gum, some aspirin, and a box of tampons, lol.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks

That's ridiculous! In my entire dancing career, I've had only one or two DJ's bring mints or gum with them for the DANCERS... and that was only to get more tips.
    If you think school is hard, try being stupid.

Thanks

Ahahaha...they made you into the housemom!

If you start making costumes, you could get a decent second business rolling there.
    \

God/dess
    Thanks

^LMAO! Exactly! That's what's going on here. Put an extra tip jar in the booth and keep all of your shit in pretty little plastic pink baskets 'marked' so that they know you expect more money from them!

Thanks

Get safety pins. Those are really important.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AudreyLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by kitty260 View Post

If you start making costumes, you could get a decent second business rolling there.
    Thats what I was thinking!!!

Maybe a little tip jar for gum/candy/mints/etc? Small glass with a cutesy label on it?!

EDIT: someone else said the same thing but its a good idea. theyll figure it out...

Featured Member NatalieFRPhilly's Avatar
    Thanks

Damn that's some bullshit. Mr. C used to have mints/candy awesome loved that idea. You're not the fucking housemom though. Who is that immature that they are going to be mad at you about some dumb gum? It costs like 2 bucks for a three pack at the supermarket. Sometimes I hate the environment we work in because of some of the dumb asses we work with. Sorry that the girls are bugging you about that you don't deserve the extra bs.

Thanks

Oh.. this explains something... Our DJ always has like 5 packs of gum sitting on the edge of his booth.. I guess maybe he's supposed to bring it for us. I always wondered why he always had so much gum sitting there. I never take it 'cause it looks bad chewing it. When I chew gum, I chew it like a cow, not a lady, lol.. So I stick to mints when my breath needs freshening.

Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyLeigh View Post

Maybe a little tip jar for gum/candy/mints/etc? Small glass with a cutesy label on it?!
    LOL Like a child's lemonade stand sign, in big scrawly backwards letters written in crayon?

Lmao Djoser, who would ever think when they grew up they'd be debating stripper/gum techtonics.

Aggravating!

AudreyLeigh

^^^ LOL... hell yea - if theyre going to act childish over gum.... it can be your inside joke...

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

First of all, dancers should not be chewing gum out on the floor! It's very tacky and unlady like! Second of all, what the fuck can't they buy their own gum? It's not up to you to supply the entire club, that does after awhile get to be rather expensive and a pain in the ass to have to always go to the store to buy the shit! I'd tell them point blank, if you want gum, go to the store and buy it! What retards! And oh, isn't that what the bathroom attendant is for anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Wayward View Post
    I only get horny when I've tucked a few benjamins in my thong; it's a money fetish.."

cameron_keys

Quote Originally Posted by Djoser View Post
    The senior DJ when I started didn't give a fuck, he just piled the gum up there, which is in some ways a great idea--and he is one of the best I have ever encountered.
    Hmm...if it is who I think you are talking about I dont remember him ever giving us shit for free. Unless you were Chech...specifically named Chanel...then you could have all you wanted of anything in the world.

Sorry....but you already know this was not my favorite person in the world!

And fuck a whole bunch of you buying gum for the whole damn bar. Bring a littel IF YOU WANT TO. But when it runs out and dancers bitch(as if you are the fucking gum fairy???) tell them that there would be plenty for them if they didnt give it out to every Tom Dick and Douchebag that walk in the door.

Thanks

I've worked in more than one club that forbid dancers from chewing gum while on the floor. Perhaps you should make that suggestion to management? lol.
    Check out my new eBay auctions.......

Thanks

our dj keeps the mints (not gum) up in the dj booth so only dancers and staff that go back there can get mints.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    ......just to feel.....the half-blood prince...

Thanks

I second Andygirls suggestion! At my club your not saposto chew gum on the floor if you do the managers will tell you that you look tacky and make you get rid of it.

If all else fails you could always get one of these
    http://www.gumballmachinefactory.com/product/1208.html

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

This one club I checked out would fine the dancers $100 each incident for chewing gum on the floor. I think it look horrible to chew gum out on the floor while we're supposed to look sexy, not look like cows!
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Wayward View Post
    I only get horny when I've tucked a few benjamins in my thong; it's a money fetish.."

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 328 Posts

well, if you put all the gum out and the bouncers/waitresses take it all, and the dancers get upset..tell the dancers who took it all.. haha if your club is anything like mine, the dancers will make a big scene and take care of the problem for you. my club is kinda ghetto tho, and our girls would probably fight someone over gum =X haha

Pamela

Quote Originally Posted by leogirl876 View Post
    This one club I checked out would fine the dancers $100 each incident for chewing gum on the floor. I think it look horrible to chew gum out on the floor while we're supposed to look sexy, not look like cows!
    Yea been there done that! Also giving out asprin can be dangerous, and no one knows this until someone has a severe reaction and ends up in ICU and sues. Our club did not allow any staff to give out asprin, etc. anything in the way of Meds.
    Last edited by Pamela; 12-03-2007 at 05:22 PM. Reason: phone call..

Thanks

Meh. If I worked in a place where I was forced (expected) to tip the DJ out large sums, I'd sure as hell be eatin' all his gum, poppin' his Tylenol and using his bandaids. And how!

Feature costumes for sale!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,481 Times in 2,041 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by kitty260 View Post

Ha haaa! You're the housedad now! I could see if these people were asking but to get angry about it is silly. It's 25 cent gum!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leogirl876 View Post
    First of all, dancers should not be chewing gum out on the floor! It's very tacky and unlady like! Second of all, what the fuck can't they buy their own gum? It's not up to you to supply the entire club, that does after awhile get to be rather expensive and a pain in the ass to have to always go to the store to buy the shit! I'd tell them point blank, if you want gum, go to the store and buy it! What retards! And oh, isn't that what the bathroom attendant is for anyway?
    ^^^^
    my biggest pet peeve.

also when i worked for your club(djoser) they had a no gum chewing rule, right there in back on a giant rule board... times have changed i see lol. seriously i have never heard of a dj or anyones else besides a housemom be expected to provide gum wtf?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett_vancouver View Post
    Meh. If I worked in a place where I was forced (expected) to tip the DJ out large sums, I'd sure as hell be eatin' all his gum, poppin' his Tylenol and using his bandaids. And how!
    We are totally forbidden to even mention tips to the girls. We can't say 'hey you forgot...', 'hey that's not very much...', or anything like that. They don't have to give us jack shit, lol. Nonetheless I get 15$ on average per dancer, some a lot more, some less. It's not just the gum, though, haha!

I really don't mind buying the gum for them, it's just the other staff that I draw the line with, or the ones that give it to customers. And it's very much in my interest to get rid of the headache one of my favorite dancers might get one night, etc. Also the dancers are paranoid about their breath for one thing, there's a lot of them who come running up to the booth right before they go onstage to get it.

The basket or tip jar is a good idea, but I don't like tip jars and used to take them down in other clubs where the other DJ had one. Besides, the other DJ that works there gives gum freely to everyone in the club, as did my predecessor--so I already look like the cheap jerk as it is, by comparison, LOL...
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

philadelphia suburbs (delaware, actually)
    Thanks

I do bring mints. They started out being for me, but hey it's a tin of Altoids, who cares, I'll share. I have now expanded it to include those IceBreakers Sours and the LifeSavers ones in the little tins too. (I think those were Natalie's favorite, incidentally.) I agree about the gum thing, it just looks trashy on stage most of the time unless it's somehow part of your act. We have a housemom, so she provides most of the things mentioned, that's her job. I have tissues, band-aids, hand sanitizer, q-tips, ibuprofen, gas-x, and lately the orange-flavored Alka-Seltzer Cold stuff. It's in the booth for me, really, but if a girl wants some I have no issue with it. I'm sure I WOULD if it became like Djoser's situation, where I was expected to bring enough for the whole bar or something.
    waffles are just pancakes with little squares on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast