Thread: Lyrics Born is bringing sexy back.

Yekhefah

Thumbs up Lyrics Born is bringing sexy back.

I'm feeling sexy and slinky again sometimes, mostly thanks to Lyrics Born. Last night I got on the pole here in my living room and started rocking out to "Callin' Out" and "Bad Dreams." I'm looking forward to doing it again today. Anyone else into Lyrics Born? Clubs NEVER seem to have these songs, which is a bummer.

Thanks

Default Re: Lyrics Born is bringing sexy back.

Man, Yek... I've been following Lyrics Born since about '95 or so, back when he was with another cat, Lateef (they were a duo called Latyrx). He's one of our real Bay Area rap gems.

If the clubs rocked more indie hip-hop (Lyrics Born, Jurassic 5, Souls of Mischief, etc.) -- life would be stellar! I only get to spin that kind of stuff at the local bar once a month. Least those who follow that stuff REALLY appreciate it!

Now get back to pole. ^_~

"In life, we DO a lot in order to accomplish mundane trivial things before we die, but it is in death and after death in memories that we will truly live, because it is in the level of care and detail that a person paints of us with stories from their memories and experiences with us that give us meaning."

Yekhefah

Heh, I dance to it a lot when I work. Lyrics Born, Jurassic 5, Lucas, Ben Harper, etc. I didn't really know what to call that genre - "indie hiphop" is perfect. I feel kind of stupid for not thinking of that, LOL. I usually get compliments on it. I wonder why more girls don't dance to this music?

I've listened to "Bad Dreams" about fifteen times today. It about sums up my life right now, and still manages to be sexy somehow!

Thanks

I use Calling Out a lot actually.
    Number of times Rickrolled on stage: 6

Marasmus ... "Ladies don't fart. They butt-laugh."
    Marasmus says, "Oh no, that wasn't gas, it was merely a rectal chuckle."

Marek says, "A friend of mine got punched in the face by a dominatrix stripper about two weeks ago and I thought of you."

Yekhefah

What do you put it with? I like to start the set with "Callin' Out" and then follow it up with either "Bad Dreams" or Ben Harper's "Bring the Funk," depending on my mood. What else does it go well with?

Thanks

I either use Bodyrockers - I Like The Way You Move, Gorillaz, or I go old school with Let It Whip by Dazz Band.
    Number of times Rickrolled on stage: 6

Marasmus ... "Ladies don't fart. They butt-laugh."
    Marasmus says, "Oh no, that wasn't gas, it was merely a rectal chuckle."

Marek says, "A friend of mine got punched in the face by a dominatrix stripper about two weeks ago and I thought of you."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yekhefah View Post
    Heh, I dance to it a lot when I work. Lyrics Born, Jurassic 5, Lucas, Ben Harper, etc. I didn't really know what to call that genre - "indie hiphop" is perfect. I feel kind of stupid for not thinking of that, LOL. I usually get compliments on it. I wonder why more girls don't dance to this music?
    Heck, it's so far off the mainstream, the typical demographic who listens to that genre is usually a college student who's expanding his/her mind, so the average person rarely hears stuff like that. With commercial radio pretty much giving indie labels no chance to shine *coughscrewyouClearChannelcough*, college radio and clubs that play that sort of stuff are the only place you'll find that.

Plus, people who listen to that and praise it over the commercial stuff get labeled as "backpackers", which used to be a quasi-term of endearment, but now it's more associated with "hip-hop snobbery." Shame really...

Quote Originally Posted by Yekhefah View Post
    What do you put it with? I like to start the set with "Callin' Out" and then follow it up with either "Bad Dreams" or Ben Harper's "Bring the Funk," depending on my mood. What else does it go well with?
    Could mix that out into "Saturday Night" by Ozomatli... or you could easily blend that into "Cutie Pie" by One Way. =)

"In life, we DO a lot in order to accomplish mundane trivial things before we die, but it is in death and after death in memories that we will truly live, because it is in the level of care and detail that a person paints of us with stories from their memories and experiences with us that give us meaning."

Thanks

Last edited by Christany; 03-12-2010 at 12:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by markx View Post
    I'd have to have a "4 simease twin strippers gave me head and then lite themselves on fire" story to blow anybody's mind here.

Yekhefah

Adding to my download list... thanks, guys!

BTW, I've been listening to Lyrics Born's "U Ass Bank" skit all day and giggling like crazy to it. "Whoa. You have no fucking money. We're sorry! Goodbye!"