Thread: DJ's and Tips: What's your take?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,463 Posts
    My Mood
    Sneaky

Default DJ's and Tips: What's your take?

DJ's... recently a topic came up in newbie board and I was wondering what your take on the situation was.

http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=104223

Curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
    ^What Sophia said.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda57us View Post
    I wish there was an "auto-like" setting that I could just have applied to all of your posts Sophia....

Thanks
    Thanked 5,065 Times in 2,637 Posts

Default Re: DJ's and Tips: What's your take?

I'm with Philly DJ on this issue. If you expect the customers to tip you onstage, you should tip the fucking DJ who puts you up there several times a night.

While many DJs should be summarily shot instead of being paid, there are many of us who are actually busting our asses up there in the booth.

Gentleman X has no fucking clue what we really do, nor do a minority of dancers who get totally incensed when guys don't tip them onstage--no matter how unattractive they might be--but insist that the DJ should be ecstatic to get five fucking dollars at the end of the night.

Right...

This is particularly irritating in the case of those dancers who require a great deal of effort and imagination in order to compensate for having to put them onstage at all--not that the OP in that Newbie thread would fall in this category--for all I know she is a very attractive and talented dancer. But I have had many women that I have had to work with whose money I would gladly do without. I would literally prefer that they stayed home, kept their 10$, and made my job infinitely easier.

Seriously, if you have a woman who clears the tip rail every time she goes onstage, you have a woman who is making your job much more difficult. If anything, she should pay more, not less, LOL!

Nonetheless, I try to keep them happy, if only because an angry, extremely unattractive dancer who doesn't like what she is listening to is going to scare away more customers than she would if she likes what she is listening to, with a few notable exceptions (see my new thread as far as this is concerned).
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

Thanks

Obviously the most important job in the SC is the bathroom attendant....they should receive all the dancers AND dj's tips...I mean people would have wet hands and bad breath without us!!

Thanks

Dude you might be a troll, and probably are, but I'm leaving this up. It's funny as hell.

Just don't get stupid on us, lol...
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by THE OTHER JANITOR View Post
    Obviously the most important job in the SC is the bathroom attendant....they should receive all the dancers AND dj's tips...I mean people would have wet hands and bad breath without us!!
    because they cant dry their own hands

7. The Following User Says Thank You to britt244 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A DJ that actually works with me and has some fun with putting sets together is ALWAYS rewarded and very much appreciated by me. I've been lucky in that the majority of my experiences the DJs have been good; one in particular was a total doll, not ONLY working with the CDs I brought him and knowing my tastes, but would actually put thought into it, and get creative - would even run into the dressing room and tell me frantically - "Okay, hey, Rose, I was thinking of doing something a little different for ya next time, going from Prince to Peaches and ending with Motorhead - how does that sound?" (Sounds weird, but turned into a great set I used several times.)

Talking me up properly - meaning striking a balance between being enthusiastic and being obnoxious and unoriginal is a HUGE plus. That balance is NOT easy to find, and I acknowledge that.

DJ's who cooperate with playing my 3 song mix CDs but do nothing else, including not knowing how to cue up the music when there's a lengthy non-musical intro (even when I've explained it verbally SEVERAL times and even written "start track 2 at 1:16!" ON the CD itself), well, I never stiff them, but they usually get a little less. DJs who actually work against me, as in do not even pay attention to which genres I like or use decent tempos, they get the bare minimum. And ever playing Nickelback gets you permanently on my shit list.

The only situation in which I'm not sure how to appropriately compensate the DJ is when there's a circuit stage with multiple girls on it at all times, and the music is really just a mishmosh of everything. There's no sets to create, no mood to create other then "Yep, dudes, you're in a strip club," and nothing much is done to talk any one dancer up, other than stating our names ("Here comes Cherry, and then Rose, and that's Delilah right there,") as we clambered onto the stage each half hour set. That's tough on both dancers AND DJs I think.

Any thoughts on that, guys? (I really hate circuits, and would not work at a place that has them again. I NEED the stage, and have to create my own mood and personality when I'm up there - it's never ever the same when I'm up there for half an hour at a stretch with 15-20 other girls dancing to random music. I can't build any momentum that way.) Like I said, I know it's not easy on the DJs either, but at those clubs it seemed like most of the DJs just gave up as a response to the challenge.
    "Before I conceived you, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were here an hour, I would die for you. This is the miracle of life." -- Maureen Hawkins

"I just can't get over how much babies cry. I really had no idea what I was getting into. To tell you the truth, I thought it would be more like getting a cat." -- Anne Lamott

Thanks

I usually gave the DJ about $20, no matter what I made. Sometimes it was 10%, sometimes more, sometimes less. Most girls gave the minimum of $5. I would also give an extra $20 for allowing me to skip a set. That often made up the difference.

Every club is different. I believe the 10% should be used as a guideline. If I danced one stage set, then was in VIP all night making $1,000, not fucking way in hell is the DJ getting $100. And all of my DJ's loved me and I took good care of them, so neener neener.

Keep in mind, I worked mostly in Texas clubs where stage is a joke, DJ's don't "pump" up the dancer, and $5 is standard expected tip.

Djoser's club is different. There is excellent stage money to be made.

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Thanks
    My Mood
    Brooding

^ katrine couldn't have said it better. i agree with her !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoseWhite View Post
    would even run into the dressing room and tell me frantically - [I]"Okay, hey, Rose, I was thinking of doing something a little different for ya next time..."
    Haha I have done that for many of the special ones. You have to be careful, though some of them will take it the wrong way and assume you are kissing their ass. But they are the dumb ones, you learn to be careful how you handle those. The ones who understand we are putting on a show I will bend over backwards for, because they invariably respect what i am doing for them.

I remember the first few times I did that at this club when I started there, the other dancers looked at me like I was crazy...

The only situation in which I'm not sure how to appropriately compensate the DJ is when there's a circuit stage with multiple girls on it at all times, and the music is really just a mishmosh of everything. There's no sets to create, no mood to create other then "Yep, dudes, you're in a strip club," and nothing much is done to talk any one dancer up, other than stating our names ("Here comes Cherry, and then Rose, and that's Delilah right there,") as we clambered onto the stage each half hour set. That's tough on both dancers AND DJs I think.
    Well that's the dilemma I face every night--it's a factory club with really short songs and multiple stages, but the owners want me to put on a show, and the dancers want individual attention--at least as far as their own music on their first song goes, and often the next one they have to share on the main stage. They (the owners and the dancers both) effectively want their cake and to eat it, but nonetheless that's what I try to do. Plus if I cannot talk up the special ones in a special way I will be forced to resign, lol, so I make it harder on myself.

It's by far the most exhaustive work I have ever done. Designing shopping centers was child's play by comparison.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks

That's a serious juggling act!!! But clearly you are really making an effort and doing your very best, which counts for everything. If anyone's up to it, you are.
    "Before I conceived you, I wanted you. Before you were born, I loved you. Before you were here an hour, I would die for you. This is the miracle of life." -- Maureen Hawkins

"I just can't get over how much babies cry. I really had no idea what I was getting into. To tell you the truth, I thought it would be more like getting a cat." -- Anne Lamott

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine View Post
    I usually gave the DJ about $20, no matter what I made. Sometimes it was 10%, sometimes more, sometimes less. Most girls gave the minimum of $5. I would also give an extra $20 for allowing me to skip a set. That often made up the difference.

Every club is different. I believe the 10% should be used as a guideline. If I danced one stage set, then was in VIP all night making $1,000, not fucking way in hell is the DJ getting $100. And all of my DJ's loved me and I took good care of them, so neener neener.

Keep in mind, I worked mostly in Texas clubs where stage is a joke, DJ's don't "pump" up the dancer, and $5 is standard expected tip.

Djoser's club is different. There is excellent stage money to be made.
    i agree. i usually give him 15/20, which is only 10% of my night on the weeknights. i DON'T really go on stage. i'm busy selling lap dances so i stay off. i could say that i guess thats because of him, because he doesnt put me up, but there are girls who WANT to go up constantly. the club doesnt make you go up if youre busy so thats not even like thats up to him. if i were lap dancing and got called, no manager would even allow me to stop to dance on stage.

not many girls tip over the $10 we owe anyway, as far as i know. one night i gave the monday night dj more and he was like what's that for?

Thanks

Yeah in most clubs I have worked a dancer automatically gets skipped if she goes in the Private Dance room. In my present club they only get skipped if they are in the Champagne Room. I know damned well there are a lot of dancers at my club now who would never go up if they didn't have to, including one of the hottest women I have ever worked with.

The girl dances like a dream, but hates going onstage. She is so fucking good she even fooled me until I got to know her after a couple months. She's also a great tipper, at least 20$ every night no matter what. You better believe I spoil her, lol...
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks

I always give the DJ ten percent of my earnings after the house fee or $20, whichever is more. I thought ten percent was the industry standard? I work in a club with only $20 lapdances and no upsells. On a busy night it's normal for a girl to do a 6 song set (4 songs on the mainstage, two on the side). If I'm lucky enough to make a grand, then it's probably because the DJ skipped me several times. So heck yeah, he'd get that $100.

The DJs at my club are awesome too, so they deserve anyway.

Thanks

Well 10% is sort of a standard--sometimes it's official, sometimes not.

In some clubs, like my present one, they aren't required to tip jackshit.

I think 10% is cool if the DJ is actually doing a good job, but the need for it being 10% decreases drastically the higher the money the dancer makes. Like I'm not going to bitch if a dancer makes 2 grand and tips me 50$, which routinely happens where I work. That's a good tip, period.

I have also worked with DJs who scrupulously kept track of every dance every dancer did on a little sheet every night, so they could demand the 10%. That's fucking anal, lol...

The policy I have found works best for me is to just refuse any tip at all if the dancer in question didn't make any money that night, and tell her to be nice to me when she does bank. They tend to appreciate this, and also the fact that I'm not some idiot robot up there just pushing buttons all night.

The ones that like to claim that about all DJs are almost invariably the ones I wish would stay home and keep their fucking 5$, since they almost invariably look like shit and I have to work way harder to compensate, lol...
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

God/dess
    Thanks

I resent being told to tip out 10% to a DJ who is dealing with 50 dancers and perhaps plays one set a night for me, but then I know he probably really fucking resents having to kick 50% of that back to the house, which is what happens in some clubs.

I just try to hit in the middle. Tip more for special treatment, and in a stage-heavy club try to take extra-good care of them because they have more to do with your money. In TX I would rarely tip $20 -- I would pay the DJ $20 and he'd keep me off stage. If I actually went up, sorry to say, they probably got slightly less, since stage is so spectacularly non-profitable there.

Here in PDX I absolutely never tip the minimum because I know the DJ has to kick back a certain amount to the house, so that + the minimum is what I consider the lowest amount to tip. They make a difference for me, though and it is worth it to try to keep them happy and feeling good about helping me. I definitely get my damn music played, no Nickelback, and put on stage when good tippers are in the club or at the rack.

Thanks

Yeah, it's hard to argue with that, and I see where you are coming from with the kickback to the manager. Which I've heard can be as much as a grand a night in the big Vegas clubs, for instance. Which sounds like extortion to me, really.

Fuck, I doubt very much I get 10 % now, which is unusual for me since I always got that in Daytona whether it was required or not. But I am making more than I did then, so who fucking cares?

But it is true that money talks. It's a matter of mutual respect. Like if a girl walks out without tipping me without saying a word, because she made no money that night. All she has to do is say so and I will understand. This is not respectful, and on a night when I'm in a bind to get a girl onstage instantly, and none of the girls awho tip me well are ready, guess who gets called, lol? Give respect, you get it back, that's the bottom line.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Djoser View Post
    Like if a girl walks out without tipping me without saying a word, because she made no money that night. All she has to do is say so and I will understand.
    I totally saw two girls do this to our day DJ this week! And he wasn't going to let them tip him in the first place because he knew they'd had a bad day. But then they just walk out without even talking to him, which is, yeah, very disrespectful.

Banned
    Thanks

Well there have been a LOT of great points made int this thread so far so hopefully i can contribute with my take on things.

I try to maintain a happy medium between the girls the cuties and the management, i try to play something that is within reason of the genre the dancers like , while maintaining a good positive high energy vibe to the room, people who are in the mood to party are having a good time and spending money.
    now were i to play floorkiller after floorkiller (ie: wicked game or in the air tongiht * both great songs but total floorkillers) night after night, it would drop the energy and customers would not pay as much attention. 10% doesnt seem like a whole lot to ask assuming we are playing something good you can get into and the customers are spending good money. Now i apply this as to girls who are doing stage and private dances, the girls who are sitting in VIP and are bought off list, thats different, and if im not doing anything for you, i wouldnt exepct anything back.

The real problems come when its a girl who bitches nonstop about what SPECIFIC SONGS in a SPECIFIC ORDER she wants to hear and then at the end of the night tries handing me five bucks, guess what honey, im way less inlined to deal with your insanity now, and when i see a custie or group of guys who i KNOW has money, who do you think im gonna tell about it? you? guess again.

im not the entertainers boss, im a coworker, and i try to get along with them as much as possible and just try to make their day a little better whether it be tellling them a joke or just having a nice pleasant conversation with them. You girls are hardworking and put up with too much bullshit to have to deal with me being a prick to you too.

Thanks

I always believe you get what you pay for. Hell yes, I want the dj to play good music for me, find me customers, let me know if a customer is looking for me (my club is huge), let me skip stage if I want, be nice to me, etc.

So, I always tip 20 bucks. Unless I made no money, then I tip ten. But it would have to be a really bad night.

DJ's do a lot for you... they have to concentrate on a lot of things, set up the order...etc....at one point our club had 6 stages running at once. That's a lot of work to do!

My dj is super cool, makes CDs for me, is always nice, always puts me on a good stage, etc. If I didn't tip him or undertipped him, I'm sure he wouldn't be as cool with me as he is.

And why would he be? I wouldn't go out of my way to do for somebody who doesn't do for me.. ya know?
    Sexy Jasmine after getting fucked over at work:

God loves strippers and when guys do things like that its an automatic ticket to HELL!

Quote Originally Posted by anomar View Post
    Perhaps you stopped spending money on her. Strippers need money to operate. They are like coin operated juke-boxes of love.

Thanks

It's very interesting to see all the 'Tipping Djs' threads that have rolled through SW. It amazes me how some threads can go so negative and some so positive.
    I really have to thank everyone on SW for being the most supportive and awesome group ever!!

Stripper-Made Dancewear! Who knows better than a fellow stripper!

Curious Guest
    Thanks

Hello all, first time posting here and looking forward to becoming a fellow positive contributing member to the forum.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but it was the most relevant one I could find in search.

Thanks to everybody for sharing their feedback, especially DJoser and RoseWhite!

I'm a big believer in providing value first, so instead of asking how much more can I make in tips as a DJ, could any of the ladies here share WHAT DO THEY WANT from their DJ and also WHAT COULD WE DO TO HELP YOU MORE? (whether that's to make more money or to help you stay off the stage?)

@DJSteve - Respect to your craft for wanting to keep the vibe of the room but am I mistaken in thinking that it's really the dancers that are OUR clients, NOT the patrons? So if a dancer wants the weirdest song like some polka-cat-meow-techno, if that helps her get in the zone, that should translate into her helping the guys get in the zone. I personally have never gone to a strip club for the music and have never left/stayed because of it. It was always for the girls but that's just me so I'm open to hearing if other guys care about that.

@RoseWhite - What you describe below sounds cool as hell and hope that dancers in my future club are that creative and artistic.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by RoseWhite View Post
    A DJ that actually works with me and has some fun with putting sets together is ALWAYS rewarded and very much appreciated by me. I've been lucky in that the majority of my experiences the DJs have been good; one in particular was a total doll, not ONLY working with the CDs I brought him and knowing my tastes, but would actually put thought into it, and get creative - would even run into the dressing room and tell me frantically - "Okay, hey, Rose, I was thinking of doing something a little different for ya next time, going from Prince to Peaches and ending with Motorhead - how does that sound?" (Sounds weird, but turned into a great set I used several times.)

Talking me up properly - meaning striking a balance between being enthusiastic and being obnoxious and unoriginal is a HUGE plus. That balance is NOT easy to find, and I acknowledge that.

DJ's who cooperate with playing my 3 song mix CDs but do nothing else, including not knowing how to cue up the music when there's a lengthy non-musical intro (even when I've explained it verbally SEVERAL times and even written "start track 2 at 1:16!" ON the CD itself), well, I never stiff them, but they usually get a little less. DJs who actually work against me, as in do not even pay attention to which genres I like or use decent tempos, they get the bare minimum. And ever playing Nickelback gets you permanently on my shit list.

Any thoughts on that, guys? (I really hate circuits, and would not work at a place that has them again. I NEED the stage, and have to create my own mood and personality when I'm up there - it's never ever the same when I'm up there for half an hour at a stretch with 15-20 other girls dancing to random music. I can't build any momentum that way.) Like I said, I know it's not easy on the DJs either, but at those clubs it seemed like most of the DJs just gave up as a response to the challenge.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djmakemoney View Post
    Hello all, first time posting here and looking forward to becoming a fellow positive contributing member to the forum.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but it was the most relevant one I could find in search.

Thanks to everybody for sharing their feedback, especially DJoser and RoseWhite!

I'm a big believer in providing value first, so instead of asking how much more can I make in tips as a DJ, could any of the ladies here share WHAT DO THEY WANT from their DJ and also WHAT COULD WE DO TO HELP YOU MORE? (whether that's to make more money or to help you stay off the stage?)

@DJSteve - Respect to your craft for wanting to keep the vibe of the room but am I mistaken in thinking that it's really the dancers that are OUR clients, NOT the patrons? So if a dancer wants the weirdest song like some polka-cat-meow-techno, if that helps her get in the zone, that should translate into her helping the guys get in the zone. I personally have never gone to a strip club for the music and have never left/stayed because of it. It was always for the girls but that's just me so I'm open to hearing if other guys care about that.

@RoseWhite - What you describe below sounds cool as hell and hope that dancers in my future club are that creative and artistic.

Peace
    You work for the club, and as such your foremost thought it to follow what rules the club has for you. They may give you tons of leeway or keep you on a tight leash.

How you work within those guidelines is how you will make it work. Work is work, its not a dating pool, treat it like a job and you will do well. Try to get laid and you wont last a week.

The dancers are your co workers, not your clients. You work together as a team, and both sides make money. If you are a salaried employee, always keep in mind the Club will always throw it in your face of who signs your check. Try to keep the dancers happy but there is compromise on both sides.

if a dancer wants three songs and is alone on stage, as long as they dont put everyone to sleep, or will make guests angry, go for it. if your running multiples they know they cant get their way everytime already, but you being new will get the so and so does it for me, of which you cannot fall for, or 10-1 you will have a manager up your backside for not using your head.

Common Sense is your best friend, and im sure the other DJ's on here will give you good advice as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,964 Times in 3,520 Posts

As a dancer, my only expectations/wants of a DJ are to not be an asshole & to play literally whatever I ask him. My favorite DJs who I'm happy to tip out are the ones that will let me write them a list & only deviate from it if they ask me first.

Please, please don't argue with me about "the crowd". If I had a nickel for every time I argued with a DJ because "You can't play Bring Me The Horizon on a Friday night!", and then I made a ton of stage tips from dudes yelling "I love your music, did you pick that yourself?!"....

Staying off stage is sometimes good, sometimes bad. I will say if there's a customer(s) tipping really well, please, please cut songs down so everybody can get up there in time. It's always a bit of a "womp-womp" moment when you get on stage just as the drunk guy runs out of $$ to throw.

Don't be a drama queen & don't EVER bitch about your tips. EVER. One of our DJs just got fired because of his attitude, part of which involved a lot of entitlement. He would count the room sheet & chase girls down saying "You made $700, why'd I only get $30?" He bitched to a manager one time because I made $1200 and he expected $120 of it... you better believe I stopped working on his shifts for the next YEAR... He lost out on much more than that $120 with his shit-fit.

Oh, and we always love when the DJ encourages tipping & shames non-tippers for us. Think of some funny ways to do it. One of ours likes to do "Wait, am I at Strip Club? Yes? Ok, I thought I walked into Local Gay Bar for a minute, there's a whole lot of dudes talking to each other & ignoring the beautiful naked women on stage!"
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Goddamn just got home from a saturday night and saw this. I'm not going to go read what I wrote back then--too tired and also I don't want to get drawn into how things may or may not have changed, it's been 12 years.

It's weird, I've gotten more conservative in some ways, and less so in others.

Anyway welcome aboard djmakemoney
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton