Thread: Something is going on...(club closures)

Thanks

Default Something is going on...(club closures)

over the past 3-4 years, clubs in Vancouver have been shutting down at an alarming rate. When I first started dancing here 5+ years ago, there were 23(+) clubs in the Metro area. Now, if the rumours of the latest closure are true, there are 8, with one definitely to be gone soon. 15 club closures in 4 years! WTF!

Is this happening anywhere else?

Feature costumes for sale!

Thanks

Default Re: Something is going on...(club closures)

If anything, we're getting MORE clubs here. I wonder what's going on - how is the political climate towards strip clubs in your area?

God/dess
    Thanks

When I lived in Lubbock, TX there were a few clubs inside city limits, and a few all-nude outside the city. In the two years I lived there, ALL the topless clubs inside the city closed completely (had liquor licenses revoked for supposedly bullshit reasons), and the only club outside the city to maintain its licensing had to go from full-nude to bikini bar. But that's the Bible Belt for you.

Thanks

We haven't really had any clubs shut down, (one, but that was for water damage in the club from a flood), but it has been announced that the city will not be issuing anymore S.O.B. licenses, so there won't be any new clubs.
    I believe you Dottie and you have my support

Thanks

I'm going to take a guess here, but I have a feeling that strip clubs are no longer hip places to hang out. Clubs everywhere are dying.

Twenty or so years ago, there weren't nearly the number of clubs as there are today. Hell, strip clubs have annual conventions in Vegas and Florida. It used to be a back alley type of activity, not something hipsters would be seen participating in. I get the feeling that the novelty is wearing off, and the market is adjusting to reflect it.

Add to that, the factor that governments have their hands out for more and more strip club money. The new "pole tax" in Dallas is a perfect example. More and more cities are requiring that exotic dancers pay for a special license to work, and sometimes that price is quite high.

Then there is the risk of getting busted by LE or Liquor Licensing because the dancers are doing their jobs, like lap dancing or topless dancing. It is all just too much for most businesses to bear.

Those that make it through will likely be around for decades to come, and will offer the best of the best for both dancers and customers.

Promote yourself and earn more money! This is a business that is owned by strippers for strippers. Let's make that money!

...hehehe... email me to ask me where i am ! (i dare you!)
    Thanks

Gold Coast:

When I started in 2001 it had Santa Fe Gold, Bad Girls Surfers Paradise, Crazy Horse, Players and Spank (under various names yet same location and always a strip club at that location).

Santa Fe Gold and Berlin Lounge Bar were bought out, demolished and Hollywood Showgirls was built on that spot. Players is still around. Crazy Horse has shut down recently (in the last few months in 2007). Spank has changed names and owners yet there has always been a strip club in that location and is thus now (once again in the last few months in 2007) with new owners again under the name Toy Box. Bad Girls closed and was re-vamped into an "exclusive" nightclub called The Ruby Tramp. Cheerleaders is the newest addition and took over the spot formerly where The Shack/Sugar Shack was located (a nightclub).

Melbourne is interesting too. It has had a growth in strip clubs with even one more looking to be added to "the scene" (Dreams the first 6 star strip club in Australia) next year.

Cairns has had the addition of one strip club .. same owner of the already existing strip club up there (it used to be a one strip club town). Mackay has had the addition of a strip club where there was not really one before... Rockhampton lost a strip club and is gaining a strip club and a nightclub (demolition of the old strip club site and being turned into a strip club and nightclub by new owners).

Especially in Melbourne... it's the complete opposite!

enter: E3167322D9 for your 10% discount

Featured Member
    Thanks

AHEM.

http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63993

Posted 3-23-06.

Paris and I agree, I see.
    Grinding is for coffee and meat.
    "I want to entertain people who wish to be entertained, not be an expensive but poor substitute for someone who can't find themselves a prostitute."-Asurfel
    Those Who Hear Not The Music Think The Dancers Mad.
    “Belgian Trappist Organically Farmed Multiple Orgasm Inducing. Bed Shaking, Neighbors Complaining, Heirloom Radishes”

ruru123

Vancouver police and the city are trying to clean Vancouver up for the 2010 Olympics. They're trying to close my club down (#5 Orange) for the year. Keep trying to find things to slap us with. I heard they kind of got a little more better lately, and not as bad, but that's most of the reason for the club closures i think anyway...the damn Olympics! which is going to be GREAT, (if we have any clubs left..lol)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Breezy

^^Yes, I was going to say this about the Olympics. That is what I heard too.

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurlieQ View Post
    When I lived in Lubbock, TX there were a few clubs inside city limits, and a few all-nude outside the city. In the two years I lived there, ALL the topless clubs inside the city closed completely (had liquor licenses revoked for supposedly bullshit reasons), and the only club outside the city to maintain its licensing had to go from full-nude to bikini bar. But that's the Bible Belt for you.
    how long were these clubs topless and nude before being shut down/turned bikini?

God/dess
    Thanks

I know of two clubs around here that shut down in the past five years. And another one has switched to male dancers only. I think that the first one closed because of the hockey strike a few years back (they were near the arena), and the other because it was always kind of lame. But there's a law here that makes it impossible for any new strip clubs to open, and any clubs that close cannot be reopened. A weird law, but a bit scary. Except, given the size of this city and the number of strip clubs, I think we're a long way off from the bad times.

It is curious about Vancouver though...that seems like a lot of closures.

Thanks

I want to say that it's because of the Olympics, but I know that's not the whole story. If anything, they're using that as a front. Van is just full of self-rightous, bible banging politicians and I feel truly sorry for the girls who are relying on Van clubs exclusively to make a decent living.
    \

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by miabella View Post
    how long were these clubs topless and nude before being shut down/turned bikini?
    Years before I ever came to town. Like I said, I live in the 'Bible Belt'. Amarillo, where I currently live, isn't so bad. But in Lubbock, just to buy alcohol, you have to leave town and go to "The Strip". I drove out there the first day I lived in Lubbock, and it was lit up like Vegas. So weird, that town.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,566 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

IMHO clubs closing in Vancouver is probably due to two main reasons. Reason #1 which has already been pointed out is that there is increasing political pressure for Vancouver to 'clean up their act' prior to the 2010 olympics.

However, there is also a reason #2 that can't be ignored. In essence, many US west coast industries used Vancouver as a low cost expansion location. Some industries that immediately come to mind are the film industry, computer software / game industry, etc. Also, Vancouver is heavily tied to the lumber industry. When the Canadian Dollar was worth US$0.75 or US$0.85, these industries could indeed operate at 'bargain' prices from a US dollar / US consumer standpoint. However, now that the exchange rate is basically 1 : 1, higher Canadian taxes and higher Canadian energy costs now make Canadian operations non-competitive compared to their US counterparts. As a result, lots of paychecks in the Vancouver area have been shrinking / disappearing ... although only the lumber industry related job losses have been widely publicized. Of course the exchange rate has taken a terrific toll on US tourism and shopping sprees in Vancouver. Arguably the flow of dollars has now reversed i.e. Van residents shopping south of the US border, which is also taking a toll on Vancouver retailers. Put this all together and it means far fewer 'discretionary' spending dollars floating around Vancouver these days, with a direct impact on the total number of 'discretionary' dollars walking in the front door of Vancouver strip clubs.

Thanks

The Olympics would be a good explanation, but the closures started before we got them...though they have increaed since.

There's also the fact that property values are so high, running a stripclub/fleabag hotel (almost all SCs in Van are in hotels due to old licensing regs) is less profitable than selling the land to condo developers.

But that doesn't explain why no one has opened any new clubs.

Of note is the fact that the city of Van bought the last club to close (Drake)

*sigh*. It honestly doesn't affect me much, being a sporadic and travelly dancer, but I feel connected to the industry here, and hate to see it suffer.

Callyish

Im still pouting about Mugs!!!!

This shit is pissing me off!! I fall in love with Vancouver and dancing there and all the clubs start vanishing on me *cries*

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lildreamer316 View Post
    AHEM.

http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63993

Posted 3-23-06.

Paris and I agree, I see.
    The only thing you can count on is change. I find it amusing that since then, Oregon has legalized live sex shows and has basically stopped prosecuting prostitution crimes.

</>threadjack

Promote yourself and earn more money! This is a business that is owned by strippers for strippers. Let's make that money!

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Scarlett, the main reason that there are no new clubs opening is that there are no new licenses for them. A few years ago, city council shut down any new strip club licences, those that remain are the only ones that can still have it. Apparently, the owners of the Drake (old owners) still have their licence and have the opportunity to reopen in another location, but will probably not due to the lack of customers, etc. I have heard on the grapevine that either the Number 5 or the Penthouse are the next to go. The Cecil will be shutting down in the next few years, as it was bought by a developer in 2001 ( I think it was that year). Sadly, this stinks! I think that the first thing that the Olympics tourists will be thinking about is the strippers and the hookers. If they are all gone, where's the fun?

Thanks

Ya, but the licenses for the shut down clubs are being bought/sold...so, is someone buying them and just not using them? Because that sucks. I mean, there are no less than 15 unused sc licenses floating around out there.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I think that what's happening is that when a club shuts down (and the building is destroyed or used for something else) their license is taken away. But when the club cuts a deal with the city or the buyers of the building, they can retain their licensing. I think that the Drake still has its strip licence, but may just use the liquor licence if they reopen. After the Cecil hotel is demolished, they will still have the license but the owners are unsure of reopening in another location. I think that there may be a few licenses out there but noone is willing to open a dying business.

Do you know of Uranus on Broadway and Kingsway? They still have their licence, and are willing to sell/lease so that someone else can reopen the strip club. But mind you, the place has been vacant for a few years now, noone seems to want to use the space.

Melonie, concerning your comments, I think that you may be being presumptuous. Certainly, Vancouver has been seeing the loss of many American based industries, but our economy is still booming. Many of the "regular" clubs in the city are thriving and busy. The main reason that the Strip clubs are going, is because the city is looking for infractions on our part. They are looking for any reason to get us out. I have to say that I found your comments (and I quite aware of your status on SW as the "financial" guru) a little unknowing and unresearched, under the guise of sounding like it means something. Vancouver has lost most of their clubs in past years, long before the dollar was at par. As well, I have actually noticed an increase in American customers since the dollar rising (weird I know) coming to Vancouver to party. While some retailers may be suffering a few losses, many stores are now pricing their items at par with the American dollar to withstand patrons heading to the border. I know that the American economy is heading for disastor, but B.C. has many thriving businesses that you may want to be come aquainted with before making such American ego-centric comments. I have to say, having worked in the clubs for a few years and just living in Vancouver for my entire life, that there hasn't been too much of a drop in discretionary spending (nothing different than say what all the clubs in North American seem to to be feeling).

Thanks

^ The Penthouse, Cecil and Brandi's have all slowed considerably...not necessarily because of Melonie's hypotheses, but still. The number 5 remains strong because its a bit of a niche market...being the only place in town where the dances are full contact.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I am under the impression that most strip clubs have slowed down the world over, certainly Vancouver is no exception. All I am saying is that there are many clubs and businesses that have not suffered too many losses. Brandi's really only slowed down considerably after all the reports in the newspapers, and because they lost their liquor license for a while. The last time I was there, there was a hour long wait between dancers on stage (!), so guys seem to have little patience for that. The Penthouse also has the same problem, long wait times. As well, they also seem to rent out the club for many non-strip club events. So it has become less dependable. The Cecil has slowed down a touch, but it seems to be the club of choice for those not wanting to deal with all of the drama at the Number 5. Certainly, the number 5 still has their niche market. But I have found, with talking with custies, that fewer and fewer people are willing to risk themselves to party there. Also, many dancers refuse to work there due to poor management and agressive dances.

I think that one of the main problems, unsaid so far, in Vancouver strip clubs is the increased gang squad presence. We all know, who work here, that the best money comes from those who may be getting it illegally. Since the increased security measures taken on by the Vancouver police force, many of those guys refuse to come in, making it more and more difficult make money. Mind you, there are still a few regular guys that make it worth while. Looking over my earnings from the last few years, yes they have gone down. But I think, in refute to Melonies comments, there are so many other factors than just an at par dollar and business losses (like logging)

Thanks

Anyone interested in working at The Paramount contact me at [email protected]

Thanks

Its weird, I think the girls here (vancouver) can sense that theres not as much money floating around.. so it sorta affects their attitude as well. Like they go to work, and they try, but they dont quite expect as much even.

I hadnt been to a strip club in about half a year till recently and I definitely picked up on it right away just observing the interactions going on around me.

And thats not to say a lot about the guys in the clubs... man they look so boring and drained.

That all might just be that strip clubs arent like you see them in movies and ppl dont have fun ideas like "Lets go dump our money at a strip club!" like they do in vegas. And Ive been there too and I dont regret it.

Hopefully clubs here make it to the olympics to cashin heh. And ill see those tourists at the tables too.

Dear God plz send money to Oregon K luv you bye
    Thanks

Meh, PDX just keeps opening up more and more...
    Order Avon through my website!

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxine View Post
    (Being Catholic never truly leaves you. It's a lifelong disease.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysondra View Post
    Hey, lapdances cost at LEAST 5 chickens. If you be offering them for one chicken, you be lowballin' girl.