Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting Religions - Is there a RIGHT reason?

Thanks

Default Converting Religions - Is there a RIGHT reason?

There's a religion I want to convert to, but I don't know if I'm wanting to for the right reasons. The thing is, I don't actually really believe in the whole 'God/religion' thing. But, I believe in the idea and the people and the sprituality of this religion. I really like it for those aspects. I respect the values and morals of this one, specifically.

This religion isn't the type to be knocking on your door at 7am and they believe in hard work, determination and doing your best. I really like that. They have values for actual reasons and maintain them the best they can not so much out of faith, but out of what they feel is necessity... and I like that too.

But I was talking to a friend of mine and he said my reasons for converting were 'selfish', 'immature' and 'shallow'. And I kinda thought.. is there a RIGHT reason to change religions? I mean, do I really have to believe in everything a religion has to offer to be considered less 'shallow' for joining a faith?

I really respect the people of this religion and have always found them to be amazing people and I relate to them on a pretty nifty level. I just don't actually believe in the whole God part. Which is funny because I find their rituals to be rather healing, spiritually.

So yeah... a lot of chitter just to ask: If a religion inspires you emotionally and spiritually, does it have to inspire you religiously to be a 'good reason' to join a faith?

Or am I just faking it if I do?

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

- My Great Grandmother Bessie's Recipe for Success

Dear God plz send money to Oregon K luv you bye
    Thanks

Default Re: Converting Religions - Is there a RIGHT reason?

Maybe converting is too strong a word in your case.

I like a lot of things about Buddhism, but since I've deemed it pretty much impossible for me to be religious, I just study it and borrow some things. I borrow things from Christianity and Wicca too but don't consider myself an actual practicer of any of those things.
    Order Avon through my website!

Quote Originally Posted by madmaxine View Post
    (Being Catholic never truly leaves you. It's a lifelong disease.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysondra View Post
    Hey, lapdances cost at LEAST 5 chickens. If you be offering them for one chicken, you be lowballin' girl.

Thanks

Yeah but I actually want to go to these religious events and be with these people and everything. I don't want to borrow parts of the religion to follow in my life - I actually want to go and be a part of the community because I also like the people.

I actually do want to convert (you have a ceremony and everything) and be a part of it all. Not just stand on the side and go 'Yeah, I'll do this and this...'. :/

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Well...as long as you can unconvert any time you want, then what's the harm? You seem like a free spirit willing to give anything a whirl, so why should this be any different? What if your only motivation was that you thought it could be fun...you thought it could make you happy? Is that shallow?

hb

Thanks

Apparently people of this faith might not accept me because my reasoning to convert are purely self-benefiting. But I thought ANY reason to join religion was pretty much that. I believe in everything (or I respect the beliefs if I don't follow them myself) in this religion... I just don't believe in their God!

Yeah... that's what I thought. Like, is there any good reason to join a religion?

I want to be a part of the society, the culture, the food, the general beliefs system (I think they have great moral beliefs, even if I don't follow them personally)... basically it's a religion I can really respect.

And if anyone is wondering why I haven't said what it was, it's because some people here are of that faith and I want their opinion before I offend anyone.

The people of this religion DO have to accept you, though... or you can't convert. They won't let you. So I'm questioning it. But I really want to.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

If they might not accept you simply because they don't like your reasons for converting, well, that would make me have second thoughts, but, that's just me.

But as to whether there is a "right" reason, I don't think so...it's "right" if it feels right to you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I want to be a part of the society, the culture, the food, the general beliefs system (I think they have great moral beliefs, even if I don't follow them personally)... basically it's a religion I can really respect.
    Lysondra, which of their moral beliefs which you think are great aren't you following? Are you sure they are that good?

MsQwerty

Hmmm, it doesnt sound quite right, yet it doesnt sound so wrong either IMO. Are you sure youre not just a bit lonely and that if you werent you wouldnt want to join?
    I want to know what it is!
    I came close to converting to Rastafarianism at one point but had the same problem. Love so much about it but I just dont believe in god so that was that, lol.

Yekhefah

It depends on the faith. You can't be a Christian atheist, but you can be a Jewish atheist. I think if you feel at home in that community then it's cool to look into joining it, but at the same time you don't want to live a lie. If you want to PM me with specifics, I'm curious and will try to help; I've read a lot on different religions.

Thanks

All religion sucks and isn't worth a shit.

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

Thanks

It can't hurt to try it out for awhile and see... I can't imagine any religion would make you completely commit on Day One to the entire doctrine. There's probably a window of time for you to play with while you learn more about it, participate in some of the stuff, and eventually decide what you want.

I think people's worship is their business... kind of hard to tell from the outside what the "right" reasons would even be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AlexxaHex

You're not going to be a Jehovah's Witness are you?

Featured Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine View Post
    That's a pretty harsh opinion to just shout out... Besides I've seen religion help people, but I guess helping people "sucks and isn't worth a shit"

Featured Member
    Thanks

Apparently people of this faith might not accept me because my reasoning to convert are purely self-benefiting. But I thought ANY reason to join religion was pretty much that. I believe in everything (or I respect the beliefs if I don't follow them myself) in this religion... I just don't believe in their God!

Yeah... that's what I thought. Like, is there any good reason to join a religion?

And if anyone is wondering why I haven't said what it was, it's because some people here are of that faith and I want their opinion before I offend anyone.

The people of this religion DO have to accept you, though... or you can't convert. They won't let you. So I'm questioning it. But I really want to.
    Talk to the a "leader" of the religion...

It's what I did, and I still have a lot of similar doubts as you, but like you I saw some of the good aspects, and have since seem even more of the good things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jester214 View Post
    That's a pretty harsh opinion to just shout out... Besides I've seen religion help people, but I guess helping people "sucks and isn't worth a shit"
    Great logical disconnect there jesus. You must be very successful at herding your sheep.

"Have you ever been to American wedding? Where is the vodka, where's marinated herring?" - GB
    "And do the cats give a shit? No, they do not. Why? Because they're cats."-from The Onion

Quote Originally Posted by Mia M
    If a cupcake was tossed at me... well, I'd only be upset if it missed my mouth

God/dess
    Thanks

if you don't believe in the god of this religion, then you aren't really converting to anything, you're just being Yet Another Appropriator.

Same as California Buddhists and other such non-converting 'conversions'.

not all religions are about self-benefit and solipsism, either.

Thanks

If it's okay with them, then you should join. If they don't want you unless you believe in their god, then don't appropriate their shit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Whoa.....good word: Solipsism

Thanks

Lysondra those sound like all the right reasons to me!!

Sounds like you have faith in the religion you have found, and you believe in it... what better reason could you have in becoming a member of said religion?

Plus religion is really personal, your friend should MHOB.

My mom converted religions and when I was little but by the time I was 14 I chose to go back to my religion I was baptised (Catholicism) because I have a very strong connection to the Virgin Mary and Jesus.
    Sexy Jasmine after getting fucked over at work:

God loves strippers and when guys do things like that its an automatic ticket to HELL!

Quote Originally Posted by anomar View Post
    Perhaps you stopped spending money on her. Strippers need money to operate. They are like coin operated juke-boxes of love.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Katrine View Post
    What if I decide to covert and worship you

Hot , funny girl worship sounds cool.... If I ever fall off the Catholic wagon, I may jump onto the Katrintholicism train....
    Sexy Jasmine after getting fucked over at work:

God loves strippers and when guys do things like that its an automatic ticket to HELL!

Quote Originally Posted by anomar View Post
    Perhaps you stopped spending money on her. Strippers need money to operate. They are like coin operated juke-boxes of love.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yekhefah View Post
    It depends on the faith. You can't be a Christian atheist, but you can be a Jewish atheist. I think if you feel at home in that community then it's cool to look into joining it, but at the same time you don't want to live a lie. If you want to PM me with specifics, I'm curious and will try to help; I've read a lot on different religions.
    Thank you.. because I had actually wanted to convert to Judaism.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

Alright, now that Yek has replied - it was Judaism. It's not JUST the people or my lonliness. It's that I really love the reasoning behind their beliefs even if I can't follow some (like the stricter Jews believing in not seeing their wives naked before marriage out of respect and honour, not really anything else). There are things in the actual beliefs I can't follow, like nudity and the usual... but other things... bringing the light toward you, the people.... I even want to go to Shabbat and Kiddush and things. I just really like Judaism as a belief system. As a community.

Jews are strong-willed and passionate, they are not forceful in their beliefs and are very understanding and humble. They believe in hard work and doing your best, they are active members in helping their fellow Jews... it's just the overall 'style' I like.

I think Yek gets what I mean. I don't believe in the God... but I want to be a good Jewish girl with the faith system of everything else.

I think it makes more sense now that you know the religion.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MsQwerty View Post
    Hmmm, it doesnt sound quite right, yet it doesnt sound so wrong either IMO. Are you sure youre not just a bit lonely and that if you werent you wouldnt want to join?
    I want to know what it is!
    I came close to converting to Rastafarianism at one point but had the same problem. Love so much about it but I just dont believe in god so that was that, lol.
    Hahaha, exactly.

It's not the lonliness, I don't think. I've been thinking about it for awhile. I like Jewish men, they seem more caring, open and fun. I get along with them. They are hard workers. Can't date a Jewish boy if you're not Jewish, hahaha, but that's not it. It's... the people in general. The food (omg challah!!).... the culture... the use of very long gutteral words..(I kid)

Even the Hasidic Jews I can appreciate. They don't force their beliefs, they are very humble, they respect everyone for themelves and in return only want to be respected. It's THAT part of the Jewish religion I am finding peace in. The over-all understanding and friendship of it.

You don't see Jewish people complaining that Halloween is offensive, :laughs:. They are understanding, have great history, have great ideas and morals that I find logical even if I can't follow all of them. The fact they can have all these beliefs and still follow them out of faith without being forceful impresses me.

I just... really like Judaism.

I'm repeating myself.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

one thing with judaism(i was raised jewish)...I dont know what form of it you are thinking of converting to, but if it is a more conservative one, you might likely have to take a ton of classes, etc. and explain why you want to convert before they will let you.

if you;'re looking for reform judaism...it's easy though.

If you don't believe in the god though, you might find a lot of things akward unless you are simply planning on being social and not going to any sort of services/holiday stuff, etc.

Just some random stuff i've known a few people who wanted to convert and they ran into issues, so just wanted to share.

I'm glad you like it and I hope it works out for you

Thanks

No, I was planning on converting to Progressive Judaism... but I do want to take the classes and I don't mind doing it either.

I don't believe in the God part, but I find the services and holidays to be spiritually satisfying. I mean, the prayers to God may not be my god, but I feel a 'release' when I do them. Like even though I don't think my prayers are going anywhere, I am happy to have said them... does that make sense?!

I know there's a big deal with the 'let you' convert, because it's not like Christianity where you're all 'Okay, I'm Christian!'.... so that's where I thought I might run into problems.

Hopefully Progressive Jews will understand. ^-^

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast