Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: there's a rat in my house

Thanks

Default there's a rat in my house

seriously im ashamed to post this. i though rats only went into run down filthy houses. but low and behold there is a grey rat entering my house every night and im very afraid.

my neighbour is having renovations done so i wonder if the rat came from there?

now im too afraid to walk around my house at night. i went ino the kitchen to get a drink before and it was about to walk in there and saw me and ran.

im also worried that we could catch something from it. my dad put down some rat poison yesterday when we first saw it but it's still the same one (im pretty sure) in here tonight.

what's the best way to get rid of vermon?

i feel dirty........
    Quote Originally Posted by Corgan View Post
    when regulars turn cheap, it's time to kill em off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysondra View Post
    You're still a vagina.
    There are many stereotypes about the industry that I work in. Sometimes they can be true but human beings are very diverse creatures and cannot be pigeon-holed into one category.

Some of the most effortlessly beautiful, kind, intelligent, successful, motivated, driven and ridiculously hilarious women that I have ever met have been dancers. I've met the best friends that I've ever had in this industry.

Thanks

Default Re: there's a rat in my house

A cat maybe ? We used to have a few small mice , then got a couple of cats. No more problems

Thanks

^^^
    not an option unfortunately.
    You're still a vagina.
    There are many stereotypes about the industry that I work in. Sometimes they can be true but human beings are very diverse creatures and cannot be pigeon-holed into one category.

Some of the most effortlessly beautiful, kind, intelligent, successful, motivated, driven and ridiculously hilarious women that I have ever met have been dancers. I've met the best friends that I've ever had in this industry.

ajbaer

Humane mouse traps, a cat or a snake. Warning with poison, if you have any animals it can poison them (for the most part)
    Probably from renovations. If you live in a community where people leave their trash out (even blocks away) rats linger. He may have been cold and decided your place looked nice.

Thanks

Unfortunately and very sadly for me I dont have any pets right now so the poison is ok. I would never let it be put out if I had any pets. I dont even like the poisoning idea, I think it's cruel.

I love snakes but if I had one I wouldnt let it kill and eat a wild rat that could carry disease/poison, not to mention rats can really harm a snake trying to defend themselves. I have seen large pythons with huge scars from rat attacks which is why i would only feed a dead rat to a snake.

I heard of some sort of mouse/rat trap that lets out a gas and euthanises the rat. This sounds more humane to me than the traps that spring shut on them.
    Anyone know what they are called?
    You're still a vagina.

ajbaer

here's one option.

a humane home made one
    Rentokil has a machine called the RADAR. I just spent 15 minutes trying to find out how to purchase one. You may need to contact them.

ajbaer

^^Radar is the gas one.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

haha...the title made me think for a moment that your husby was up to no good lol.
    Rat traps are humane...they kill quick by breaking their necks or crushing their skulls. Also, they don't wander off all poisoned and die somewhere out of reach where they can rot and stink the place out.
    You have to find the spot where he's getting in and block it up securely or else some other critter is going to come in.

Featured Member
    Thanks

The poison probably don't work. Rats are very very smart. They take a nibble, and if it upsets their stomach, they won't eat any more. I recommend a humane trap. Bait it with something they can't carry off, like jam or yogurt.

Thanks

Like Bobby said, FIRST you have to find where it is coming from, a little hole somewhere in the house, garage, or something. Just to make sure no more come in and then the best way is the mouse trap, it kills it instantly.
    PABLO SPEAKS THE TRUTH...

Veteran Member
    Thanks

We eat meat. Just kill it with a normal mouse trap. Stick the cheese to the metal very tightly so mouse can't eat cheese without springing the trap. The glue paper works well but you have to kill the mouse yourself. Drop it in a bucket of water with a little bit of weight so it drowns.

Yeah and if youre living in a house cover any holes on the outside.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hockeybobby View Post
    haha...the title made me think for a moment that your husby was up to no good lol.
    Rat traps are humane...they kill quick by breaking their necks or crushing their skulls. Also, they don't wander off all poisoned and die somewhere out of reach where they can rot and stink the place out.
    You have to find the spot where he's getting in and block it up securely or else some other critter is going to come in.
    When did neck breaking and skull crushing become humane?
    Seriously! I musta missed the memo or something.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jasmine View Post
    When did neck breaking and skull crushing become humane?
    Seriously! I musta missed the memo or something.
    I meant a humane way of killing the rat. Of course a live trap can be used as well.

Featured Member
    Thanks

To the person who mentioned glue traps: NO!! It is the least humane way to do away with rodents or pests. They can die of dehydration before you ever find them, and some are so desperate to get off the trap, they chew feet off! It's a horrible way to go. Please, please, please don't use a glue trap.

MsQwerty

I love rats )-:
    Probably call pest control. If youre renting the real estate should organise it for you.
    Having a rat in the house doesnt mean your house is dirty, theyre everywhere! I forget what the statistics are now but I think more houses have had them than not.

Thanks

The humane house trap link is GREAT, I just have to say. Really impressive.

MsQwerty

Here ya go - you dont need to worry too much about catching diseases really (-:

>>Up till now, only one virus, known to spread from rats to humans has been found in Australia, the LCMV, and it's only been found in mice. According to CSIRO's Dr. Grant Singleton, no other rodent borne viral diseases, found overseas have been detected, but that doesn't mean they're not here. However, there are a number of rodent borne bacterial diseases that have caused health problems in Australia. And his team of rat catchers has been trapping rats in the inner suburbs of Melbourne, to see if they carry any of these diseases.

"If we know the diseases are here then it can help medicos diagnose early and to treat early."<<

ajbaer

Quote Originally Posted by cherry_sin View Post
    The humane house trap link is GREAT, I just have to say. Really impressive.
    Thanks

philadelphia suburbs (delaware, actually)
    Thanks

The DIY soda bottle one works well, but I don't think it would work for a larger critter like a rat. When I worked at a stable, we had a constant problem with rats/mice in the feed room. We kept the sweet feed in big 50 gallon galvanized steel cans. When it gor low, say an inch or so, we did the dowel/paper towel holder with peanut butter thing suggested further down the DIY thread. It worked astonishly well. I think the most we ever caught in one night was 16. The commercial traps made by Hav-a-Hart work well too but are around 30 bucks. Here's a link: http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps/0745

Avoid using poison. We had a rat in the DJ booth once at an old club and the janitor threw bait out. The rat died under some stuff we couldn't take apart and stank up the booth for several days, it was awful.

The title of this thread is making me hum that UB40 song "Rat In Me Kitchen".
    waffles are just pancakes with little squares on them.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Dont be embarrassed! There is a plague of rats and mice in Melbourne at the moment, has been for a few years. I found that out when I had a mice problem, the pest control man told me. Good luck killing the little bugger off.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...hehehe... email me to ask me where i am ! (i dare you!)
    Thanks

I'll let you borrow the resident cat in my household.

No mice or rat problems with HIM about... I learnt that many many years ago.

We let a mouse run into the unit. It sqeeked it's last squeek .. and Puddy proceeded to happily munch on it until all that was left was its tail.

He loved it. No doubting his killer instinct.

enter: E3167322D9 for your 10% discount

Thanks

I have a rat in my house too...his name is Toki and he lives in a little cage and likes to sit on my shoulder . Hehehe I love my pet rat.

As for "vermin" rats...hmmm...I don't think I would like that too much. I wish I had some good advice. Do you have any idea where it might be coming in from?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.
    -

Thanks

I love pet rats too. I love all animals. I cant have a wild rat living in the house tho. I would prefer to be able to get rid of it without killing it coz I have a problem with the moral issue of killing any creature. Im going to look at those links thanks ajbaer.

Im also glad to hear it's not dirty to have a rat in your house. I was wondering if the house wasn't clean enough or something. I have had mice before but never a rat inside the house.

I was trying to catch him on my camera's video last night. He was hiding behind the tv unit and i was sitting there with my phone ready but he wouldn't come out.
    He is actually quite cute.

MsQuerty thanks for those links too, Im glad they dont carry diseases. I was thinking "black plague" before.
    You're still a vagina.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ava Jadore View Post
    I have a rat in my house too...his name is Toki and he lives in a little cage and likes to sit on my shoulder . Hehehe I love my pet rat.

As for "vermin" rats...hmmm...I don't think I would like that too much. I wish I had some good advice. Do you have any idea where it might be coming in from?
    This is a pretty old house and there seems to be lots of places it could be getting in from. I had a look around and there are some spots that it could have squeezed through.

Does anyone know how much the pest control people generally charge?
    You're still a vagina.

Thanks

Name is Maryann and make it a pet.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

- My Great Grandmother Bessie's Recipe for Success

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast