Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cost of Stripping

Thanks

Default The Cost of Stripping

As I sit here paying yet another tax bill on my backowed taxes I do the maths again.

I have over twenty thousand dollars in taxable expenses for work. Twelve thousand of that alone is petrol. Four hundred for shoes. Six hundred for costumes. Three grand for the car. Plane tickets. Boots. Makeup.

Stripping is expensive.

Some wise girls used to say on here that it's stripping itself that makes it so you can't go back to another job. You can't afford your bills after stripping because your quality of life has increase but I wonder, is it because the cost of stripping is so high?

When I worked at a regular job, my income was $300 per week. All of it was mine. My bills were low and it left me with a few hundred a month to work with.

My stripping job my bills are $600 a week. Only $100 of that is rent! $500 is for food, makeup, shoes, taxes, etc.

So in reality I'm kinda earning the same % for bills money to spendable money, just higher end on the scale.

Then you gotta account the mental spending. The physical spending.

And you kinda realize we don't make that much in the end. It costs a lot to be a stripper.

Which is why you gotta love the job or you ain't gonna make it. And you're gonna think you have no way out. But you will, you just gotta stop counting the Cost of Being A Stripper into your bills.

(It's 3am, I'm musing, sue me)

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

- My Great Grandmother Bessie's Recipe for Success

Veteran Member Alia_of_the_Knife's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: The Cost of Stripping

QFT. I was personally fine after I switched back to a "regular job". And it really is hard to makes "gobs of money" as a stripper.

Luckily I always did my taxes so I could use all of those extra expenses as a tax write off. I admit it is a lot of the non-financial aspects of stripping that attract me to the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by vbmenu_register("postmenu_1597376", true); View Post
    Uh, unless she went at that bush with a jar of shoe polish, she doesn't look much like a natural blonde to me!
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/savings/w4tmpkz/]

Banned
    Thanks

If you claim deductions on your taxes, then how does it really make a difference? You'd have to pay your taxes anyways, so you might as well spend that money on taxable deductions like shoes and costumes, than not. It all evens out in the end. I don't see how stripping is more expensive than any other job where you make the same income.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joplin View Post
    If you claim deductions on your taxes, then how does it really make a difference? You'd have to pay your taxes anyways, so you might as well spend that money on taxable deductions like shoes and costumes, than not. It all evens out in the end. I don't see how stripping is more expensive than any other job where you make the same income.
    Huh? I don't really get what you're saying. If I was making 100k a year as a (bad) doctor, I wouldn't be deducting my shoes and makeup I NEED for work. My mum makes 40k a year and deducts almost nothing. While she makes less she deducts less and isn't trapped in her situation like we accuse ourselves of being.

G-d it's way to early for this. I will sleep on it.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

God/dess
    Thanks

12% of they money I make goes to tipout and cab. My cab ride is $20 and I usually tip well.

I don't care about the cost of shoes, ect. because it's all fun to me and I love to go shopping for them.

Thanks

I had a moment like this the other night. I was really sad when I realized that if I want to go back to school in the fall, I shouldn't get my hair extensions done anymore. Just an example. I have to use clip ins when my Great Lengths crap out. I'll feel cheap!

Thanks

Part of it may be that your expenses are particularly high. When I danced and also paid taxes, I spent less than 1k on clothes, makeup and shoes in a year. Stage fees, cabs, etc being different. As I never travelled to dance (outside of going to Guam, and all of those expenses were covered by the club), airfare etc was never much of an issue.

Are you a feature? I know many women on here have commented that featuring is a HUGE money sink.

As for myself, a self employed dancer living in one city, buying health insurance and paying student loans, my deductions were adequate to help with the pain of being self employed.

Nowadays, working a desk job and having the money taken out every paycheck, I sure do miss the freedom of being a dancer when it comes to taxes!

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Have you thought of ways to cut back on your spending? Maybe you're buying too much. I can't fathom spending $600 a week on items I need for work. How many costumes, shoes, etc. do you need? Maybe like 4 pairs of shoes maximum and 8 costumes maximum as well. Many girls at my club pay a makeup artist to do their makeup every night, if you do that, instead, invest in some makeup of your own and learn how to do your own makeup and hair. Maybe instead of spending $60+ per week in getting your nails done, do them yourself. I rarely get manicures & pedicures done, I do them myself and only get them done as a special occasion. If you tan or mystic, call around to different places that offer really good packages. The place I go to offers unlimited mystic tans per month at $59.95 per month. Instead of going out to eat, eat at home, pack a lunch bag, etc. Write down everything that you spend each week, save your receipts and evaluate on what you can cut back on. I used to go crazy with shopping and spend a lot of money all the time on new makeup, new lingerie, new jewelry, etc. I have so much stuff that I either haven't worn or maybe wore one time and decided I didn't want it after all. I have about 4 outfits that I wear on a regular basis but my locker is filled with stuff that I rarely ever wear, which I realize now was a waste of money for me. If you absolutely must have something new, try to limit it to 1-2 outfits per month, or see if you use a coupon or a good place to find great lingerie/costumes is ebay. I've gotten lots of good stripper outfits & lingerie off of ebay at a much much cheaper rate than I'd spend in Victoria Secret. This is just a suggestion on how to save money. It's taken me almost 2 yrs of dancing to finally realize that I don't need as much stuff as I used to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Wayward View Post
    I only get horny when I've tucked a few benjamins in my thong; it's a money fetish.."

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lysondra View Post
    Huh? I don't really get what you're saying. If I was making 100k a year as a (bad) doctor, I wouldn't be deducting my shoes and makeup I NEED for work. My mum makes 40k a year and deducts almost nothing. While she makes less she deducts less and isn't trapped in her situation like we accuse ourselves of being.

I'm just making up numbers but pretend you make 50k a year and merely for being in that bracket you owe the IRS 10k in taxes. It seems like more to a stripper b/c they themselves have to hand the money over while people who work for others don't, but essentially every tax payer has that expense.

As for stripping specific things like shoes and outfits, you can right off that on the 10k of taxes you automatically owe because you made 50k. If you spend 1000 on shoes, you'll pay 9k in taxes...it all still equals 10k out of your income.

I know nothing about doctors, but I'm sure they have industry specific deductions as well. Of coarse you wouldn't deduct shoes and make up for being a doctor becuase that has nothing to do with how you make money.

Thanks

I bought two pairs of shoes and 3-4 great outfits early last year and they are still going strong (and no, they aren't crusty and gross haha). I have basic but quality makeup--a couple of standard looks. I do my own nails. I have to have a car, gas and food regardless, so I don't really count those as stripping expenses.

I know I'm sort of an extreme case (I'm super frugal) but I still think stripping is about the lowest overhead vs. income business I could possibly think of.

Callyish

Quote Originally Posted by leogirl876 View Post
    Have you thought of ways to cut back on your spending? Maybe you're buying too much. I can't fathom spending $600 a week on items I need for work. How many costumes, shoes, etc. do you need? Maybe like 4 pairs of shoes maximum and 8 costumes maximum as well. Many girls at my club pay a makeup artist to do their makeup every night, if you do that, instead, invest in some makeup of your own and learn how to do your own makeup and hair. Maybe instead of spending $60+ per week in getting your nails done, do them yourself. I rarely get manicures & pedicures done, I do them myself and only get them done as a special occasion. If you tan or mystic, call around to different places that offer really good packages. The place I go to offers unlimited mystic tans per month at $59.95 per month. Instead of going out to eat, eat at home, pack a lunch bag, etc. Write down everything that you spend each week, save your receipts and evaluate on what you can cut back on. I used to go crazy with shopping and spend a lot of money all the time on new makeup, new lingerie, new jewelry, etc. I have so much stuff that I either haven't worn or maybe wore one time and decided I didn't want it after all. I have about 4 outfits that I wear on a regular basis but my locker is filled with stuff that I rarely ever wear, which I realize now was a waste of money for me. If you absolutely must have something new, try to limit it to 1-2 outfits per month, or see if you use a coupon or a good place to find great lingerie/costumes is ebay. I've gotten lots of good stripper outfits & lingerie off of ebay at a much much cheaper rate than I'd spend in Victoria Secret. This is just a suggestion on how to save money. It's taken me almost 2 yrs of dancing to finally realize that I don't need as much stuff as I used to buy.

Shes a showgirl. Its damn expensive to be a showgirl.

You need tons of costumes, do your own makeup, props etc...

Example for me...

I buy about one new costume a month... my costumes are anywhere from $400 to $1000 a piece.

I spend about $300 a month on 'extras' for my shows.

$500(give or take) every two months on printing for my posters/magnets.

$400 every two months on shoes/boots(I wear through mine quickly)

The list goes on.

Sadly for the type of stripping Lysondra and I do its not cheap

My travel expenses are what really kill me.

When im doing big feature shows in Ontario/Quebec it gets super expensive for me.

Last week my feature gig I dropped almost $200 for the week in pyro alone. Then another $200 for c02 and confetti for my confetti launchers plus a bunch of other smaller expenses.

God stripping is expensive

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dottie Rebel View Post
    I know I'm sort of an extreme case (I'm super frugal) but I still think stripping is about the lowest overhead vs. income business I could possibly think of.
    Yeah-huh. I mean, don't compare it to other jobs, compare it to other businesses. Where else is your only overhead makeup and costumes? A massage here and there. I don't have hair extensions or get nails done weekly. The majority of my work expenses are travel-related.

Goes to show how different the business can be -- there's the one extreme, where all you need is a bikini and a pair of heels, and the other, where you need trunkfuls of costumes, expensive photographers, and spend WHAT THE HELL! DID YOU SAY TWELVE GRAND ON GASOLINE?

Thanks

12 Grand? I think I would pass out and I already thought I was spending a lot.

I seriously need to get myself a hybrid. I really really try to be a frugal stripper but it's hard with temptation everywhere.

It's that damn MAC discount (that's not really a discount for me), I lose control in there and go buck wild. I hardly even wear makeup when I'm not working, and then I usually only work seven to ten days a month! That's it NO MORE!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anomar View Post
    Part of it may be that your expenses are particularly high. When I danced and also paid taxes, I spent less than 1k on clothes, makeup and shoes in a year. Stage fees, cabs, etc being different. As I never travelled to dance (outside of going to Guam, and all of those expenses were covered by the club), airfare etc was never much of an issue.

Are you a feature? I know many women on here have commented that featuring is a HUGE money sink.

As for myself, a self employed dancer living in one city, buying health insurance and paying student loans, my deductions were adequate to help with the pain of being self employed.

Nowadays, working a desk job and having the money taken out every paycheck, I sure do miss the freedom of being a dancer when it comes to taxes!
    Yeah, I am a showgirl. But the general idea still applies.

Lucky for me healthcare is free for everyone in Australia.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Wayward View Post
    Yeah-huh. I mean, don't compare it to other jobs, compare it to other businesses. Where else is your only overhead makeup and costumes? A massage here and there. I don't have hair extensions or get nails done weekly. The majority of my work expenses are travel-related.

Goes to show how different the business can be -- there's the one extreme, where all you need is a bikini and a pair of heels, and the other, where you need trunkfuls of costumes, expensive photographers, and spend WHAT THE HELL! DID YOU SAY TWELVE GRAND ON GASOLINE?
    Yes I did. Petrol here is $80-100 a tank and I usually use about 2 - 3 tanks a week. I'm thinking of converting my car to gas (the gas kind, not the oline kind) because the conversion costs 3 grand and MOST NORMAL PEOPLE make that money back in 3-4 years. I'll make it back in 7 months counting the price of gas per litre and travel with it.

Also, I am loving the train of thought typed into this.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leogirl876 View Post
    Some of these tips are very valuable. Sadly, I am a feature girl like Cally. 1-2 outfits per month is still around $600 a year. I don't buy NEARLY as many costumes as most of my counterparts and LUCKY ME can make costumes, so I find I'm fairly good in that department.

The lunch idea is good. Normally I pack easy to transport food into my car and eat McDonalds to fill in the rest. Not healthy or good in any situation.

I do save my receipts:

Baby oil.. $24 a month
    Toll Roads: $48 a month
    Shaving Creame: $26 a month
    Petrol: $1000 a month (For me, it actually IS important to know where the cheap fueling stations are and drive extra to get to them, haha)

So expensive to be me. I mean. I make more. But it's expensive.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

MsQwerty

The kind of stripping you do can make a difference.
    My costs are really low now - like really, really low. I could spend more but in my experience I make the same $ regardless of how much Ive spent on costumes, shoes or make up, in fact I think I make more$ more quickly in the cheap stuff.
    I realise that in your job though you do need to spend more on costumes, no cutting a shread of material for you! :-D

Thanks

Yeah, I got to claim like 50k miles on my taxes.

But there is a point of diminishing returns on what you invest in your business and it sounds like you may have reached it? I mean, would it really hurt your income if you used less baby oil or recycled some outfits from last year instead of buying new onces?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lena View Post
    Yeah, I got to claim like 50k miles on my taxes.

But there is a point of diminishing returns on what you invest in your business and it sounds like you may have reached it? I mean, would it really hurt your income if you used less baby oil or recycled some outfits from last year instead of buying new onces?
    I have to use baby oil in every show. And I've already been using the same 3 costumes for a year. They shred quickly and I'm shocked they've lasted this long. Once I do my pirate music I'll be able to use my currently closetted Pirate costume.

Other than that... not much I can do. I've been filling up at least one tank on Tuesdays lately which has saved me $40 a week so far... I bought baby oil/shaving cream/lotion in MASSIVE bulk and refill the containers when they go empty already. It's really hard to keep food cold on the road in a car for 12 hours so I tend to eat cheese snacks and jerky and McDonalds. It doesn't seem worth it to keep ice and an esky in my backseat just so I can have a cheaper drink twice a week, hahaha. It'll cost more for the ice in the end.

Can't think of much else. I already sell my used boots and costumes to pervs... I already drive less. :/

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MsQwerty View Post
    The kind of stripping you do can make a difference.
    My costs are really low now - like really, really low. I could spend more but in my experience I make the same $ regardless of how much Ive spent on costumes, shoes or make up, in fact I think I make more$ more quickly in the cheap stuff.
    I realise that in your job though you do need to spend more on costumes, no cutting a shread of material for you! :-D
    But it was nice working in the club, yanno! My entire outfit was FREE (THANKS BRENDITA) except my g-string and boots, which I had worn for a month prior anyway. (Uh err... the boots not the gstring)

Mmm club dancing is so much cheaper.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

I guess this has already been discussed, but I don't find stripping being any more expensive than a normal job would be. At another job, I'd still have to buy gas, shoes, clothes, blah blah blah. Of course, I'm just a regular dancer and I'm cheap. I don't need a million elaborate outfits.
    If you think school is hard, try being stupid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bella21 View Post
    I guess this has already been discussed, but I don't find stripping being any more expensive than a normal job would be. At another job, I'd still have to buy gas, shoes, clothes, blah blah blah. Of course, I'm just a regular dancer and I'm cheap. I don't need a million elaborate outfits.
    For a 'normal' job, getting your nails done or teeth done would be bonuses. In this job they effect your money. So it costs more to be a stripper.

Look like a woman
    Think like a man
    Act like a lady
    Work like a dog

Thanks

^I guess... but I can't see myself not getting my nails done (I get fakes because I'm a biter) or taking care of my teeth. Stuff like fake tanner and a new pair of plastic heels would be out the door, but that's less than a couple of hundred bucks a year for me. I might actually spend MORE if I just had an office job for eating out and stuff.
    If you think school is hard, try being stupid.

AudreyLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by Lysondra View Post

If there is a dress code you certainly CAN deduct shoes/clothes. If you are say a hairdresser and the dress code is all black clothes you can deduct that (at least in the US) If you are a nurse and have to wear scrubs and white shoes you can deduct that. BUT most of the time the standard deduction is higher than a itemized deduction so people dont do that.

Back to the OP. I could never handle being a feature but I certainly do admire you girls. I used to want to be one but once I found SW I thought better of it...

Thanks

I've always kept books through out my career. Every once in awhile I'll get them all out and actually see track my progress over a decade of dancing in earnings and also spending. yes I'm anal like that.

Even though I've not purchased a new pair of shoes in 3 years. (and I work weekly) And I buy maybe 3 gowns a year (120 a piece) , bottoms are provided to us from work. I still spend every year without fail and no matter if I'm working in a club where I need way more. Like years 3-5 I bought 3 pairs of shoes a year, and at least 2 outfits a week! It all factors out to the same amount combined with makeup and hair...

10,000 and that's not counting a boob job and some other misc nips and tucks. In total since I began dancing I've spent over 80,000 on myself. That's counting orthodontic care, outfits and surgeries.

I type this as I sit in my boyfriends xmas pj pants and a free t shirt lol.

God lets count in what I pay to work! 120 in the gate, plus the 15 to valet, 15 to the house mom and 20 to the DJ and makeup artist. It makes my head spin . And trust me I've done all I can to cut spending. Hence the same shoes for 3 years that I keep gluing back together. No extensions and I've even given to not coloring my hair for 2 years.

Maybe this is why I horde makeup and outfits and refuse to get rid of anything. I mean refuse it has it's own closet.
    as damp as a cellar. . . all mildewy I'm as damp as a cellar. . . all mildewy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast