Thread: So We Bought A Mustang

God/dess
    Thanks

Default So We Bought A Mustang

It's a really sexy 2003 Ford Mustang GT, turbo charged, and it's really sexy. Whoever had it before us cut the exhaust pipes short so it's loud as fuck, but I secretly like that.

Only problem, it's a stick, and I BARELY know how to drive one. So I'm still in our other car, my bf is gonna drive the Mustang until I get up the guts to learn how to do it myself!

Anyways, I was just excited and had to share!!
    This is not the one we bought, but it looks EXACTLY the same.

Thanks

Default Re: So We Bought A Mustang

<-----is jealous. I miss my Mustangs. I want to buy another one...

Featured Member
    Thanks

Do you know who did the turbo upgrade? I hope you didn't pay 'premium' price for the turbo, and as an aftermarket upgrade, I hope you had a performance shop check it out.

Other than that, I hope you enjoy the car.

Thanks

Congrats!!! Get yourselves down to Austin.. I wanna drive it

Animals are my friends, and I don't eat my friends.
    - George Bernard Shaw

madmaxine

I recommend you find someone with an older vehicle to help teach you how to drive stick, instead of mangling the Mustang's transmission while trying to learn on it.......

Coolness though. (Camaro lover here, but Mustangs have their merits.)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

I bought an '03 Mustang too! Last month, actually! It has a convertible top, is automatic, and is silver, though. Congrats!!! I had always wanted a 'stang for soo long. Proud owner, here!
    The Official Sandra London Website and Blog

My Live and Grind Emporium:

Listen to Playtime with Sandra Radio.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Mrs. UtahMike drives a black '98 Mustang convertible. Sexy as hell car, but the roof leaks, so we have to keep a bath towel in the back window well to soak up the water.

Banned
    Thanks

Nice car!

Featured Member
    Thanks

i drive a mustang gt too! don't be scared of stick, i learned how to drive on stick...probably pissed a lot of people off along with the way with my stalling but manual is way more fun, especially in a gt!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Twisted

PCQ- Congrats on new ride- good color, too. A few "items"

1) Sounds like prior owner was at least somewhat serious about mods. If he took the time to mod engine & exhaust, I wonder what suspension, brake, transaxle, and shifter mods were accomplished. If a "Hurst" shifter was installed- Good, as it has shorter, more precise throws than standard transmission should make learning manual easier for you. As for other non-standard parts, replacement could be a problem, depending on whether manufacturer is still in business. If the tach is reading much more than 1600 RPM's in top gear @ 60MPH on level surface, you may have a higher ratio axle installed- great for acceleration, not so great for gas mileage.

2) Not to get too technical, but, most likely car has supercharger as opposed to turbocharger on it. The former is driven by belts, and is the most commonly used mod. The later is driven by exhaust system, and is generally more expensive & complex than SC.

Anyway, hope you have fun on the wide open panhandle roads

Thanks

congrats! i just got a new car too.
    "Maybe some women aren't meant to be tamed. Maybe they're supposed to run wild until they find someone, just as wild, to run with." -Sex and the City

Thanks

Congrads.

Don't fear driving a stick. You can learn the basics in a few days, though it is a lifetime of practice to master (and involving and fun too!)

God/dess
    Thanks

Well the bf is driving it for now, until I decide to try my hand on the manual transmission. And as far as the upgrades and stuff, I don't know jack about cars, but trust my bf is obsessed, so he's making all the effort and taking the time to ensure it's all a-ok.

But it's so cute, right?! *excited*

ajbaer

I just went for a ride in one of these yesterday with the top down! My old boss has one (I'm really good friends with the entire family) and so we went out to lunch yesterday and drove around in the Mustang. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Thanks

Very nice, congratulations. Learning a stick isn't hard, it just takes practice. Take it to an empty parking lot and work on synchronizing the pedals starting from a stop. As long as you don't ride the clutch you won't hurt it. You'll stall it more than a few times but you won't hurt it. Of course first time you're in traffic you'll forget all your timing and stall it And remember with an automatic all you're doing is steeering, you're not driving unless it's a stick.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minnow View Post
    1) Sounds like prior owner was at least somewhat serious about mods. If he took the time to mod engine & exhaust, I wonder what suspension, brake, transaxle, and shifter mods were accomplished. If a "Hurst" shifter was installed- Good, as it has shorter, more precise throws than standard transmission should make learning manual easier for you. As for other non-standard parts, replacement could be a problem, depending on whether manufacturer is still in business. If the tach is reading much more than 1600 RPM's in top gear @ 60MPH on level surface, you may have a higher ratio axle installed- great for acceleration, not so great for gas mileage.
    Non standard parts won't be a problem, there is always going to be someone who makes it. The mustang has more aftermarket suppliers than almost any other car. Cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by minnow View Post
    2) Not to get too technical, but, most likely car has supercharger as opposed to turbocharger on it. The former is driven by belts, and is the most commonly used mod. The later is driven by exhaust system, and is generally more expensive & complex than SC.
    The turbo also has less parasitic loss and is good over a greater range than a s/c.

It's her car, I trust that she knows it is a turbo.

I wouldn't worry about gas mileage. If it is a bolt on turbo kit, as long as you don't engage the turbo, no loss. Also, if it has headers, exhaust, intake (filter), TB, and/ or chip, it will improve the gas mileage as they make the engine more efficient.

The only things I would be concerned about is chassis, rear diff/ suspension and brake upgrades. If they put in a turbo (or even s/c), did they put a pair of sub-frame connectors on the car to prevent chassis flex. And better brakes to stop the car. And trailing arms on the rear to get the power to the ground and prevent rear diff flex.

Can you tell I've had a mustang too. lol

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
    As long as you don't ride the clutch you won't hurt it. You'll stall it more than a few times but you won't hurt it.
    Also, don't rest your hand on the top of the shift handle. I ruined the transmission of a Triumph Spitfire back in the seventies by doing this. Seems it put downward pressure on the forks, so they became distorted. Perhaps this is not a problem with modern day manual transmissions, but it cost me significant bucks back in the day.

God/dess
    Thanks

^That's weird, it seems like everyone does that. And makes that little jiggle move after they switch gears, too...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UtahMike View Post
    Also, don't rest your hand on the top of the shift handle. I ruined the transmission of a Triumph Spitfire back in the seventies by doing this. Seems it put downward pressure on the forks, so they became distorted. Perhaps this is not a problem with modern day manual transmissions, but it cost me significant bucks back in the day.
    You are correct. The constant partial pressing on the stick can cause parts to wear. Here are 3 good reasons not to get into that bad habit:

1.) Like Mike said, in most cars you risk wearing out the the transmission faster.

2.) Ask any driving instructor, and they will all tell you the same thing. Your hands belong on the wheel. Shift and put your hands back on the wheel. You have much better control if you need to make a high speed avoidance maneuver with two hands on the wheel.

3.) For those who think it is cool to drive with one handed at the 12' o clock position. It's great fun when the airbag goes off, often breaking a person's forearm, and certainly driving their arm into their face doing some nice bonus damage.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCurlieQ View Post
    ^That's weird, it seems like everyone does that. And makes that little jiggle move after they switch gears, too...
    Sometimes people jiggle the stick when it is in neutral, which they do to check that the car is out of gear. They do this because when they are at a stop, you should put it in neutral, and let the clutch out (keeping the clutch depressed will wear out a part). That jiggle is probably not doing much damage, but I also don't recommend making it a practice once you now where neutral is.

If you do leave the car in gear, and let the clutch out at a stop light one of two bad things will happen:

1.) The car will stall, and/or..

2.) The car will lurch forward, possibly hitting the car in front, and then stall.

So people reasonably learn to be paranoid and double check that they are in neutral.

If you see anyone jiggling the stick when putting into gear, they either have learned a very bad habit, or have a bad tranny they are trying to work around. If for example the synchros are shot, they may have to fight it to get the gears to mesh, which I suppose looks like they are jiggling the stick. There is no need for this on a working transmission. Shift, and put your hands back on the wheel.

God/dess
    Thanks

^Thanks for the tips! I'm gonna looks so cute driving around in my new old car! lol