Thread: Avatar

God/dess
    Thanks

Default Avatar

The visual effects were dazzling (see it in 3-D) but the story was kind of lame, predictable, and clearly agenda-driven.
    "never trust a big butt and a smile"-- Bell Biv DeVoe

If you're in your twenties and aren't a liberal, you have no heart. If you're in you're forties and aren't a conservative, you have no brain - Winston Churchill

Banned
    Thanks

Default Re: Avatar

Most critics liked it; it appears to be a movie that must be seen on a big screen. Well what passes for a big screen today.

Isn't is about 2 hours and 40 minutes long? I think I will take one of my special friends in case I need stimulation. I will be thinking about that 10 foot tall Smurf babe. Our children would be Blueish.

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Earl_the_Pearl View Post
    Most critics liked it; it appears to be a movie that must be seen on a big screen. Well what passes for a big screen today.

Isn't is about 2 hours and 40 minutes long? I think I will take one of my special friends in case I need stimulation. I will be thinking about that 10 foot tall Smurf babe. Our children would be Blueish.
    The critics would be likely to like it because they tend to share the political leanings of its message. It is 2 hrs and 40 minutes long and should be seen in #D on as big a screen as possible, though I'm not sure its necessarily worth shelling out extra $$$ for IMAX. That 10 ft smurf babe is pretty hot in real life too.

http://www.zoesaldana.com

If you're in your twenties and aren't a liberal, you have no heart. If you're in you're forties and aren't a conservative, you have no brain - Winston Churchill

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bem401 View Post
    The critics would be likely to like it because they tend to share the political leanings of its message. It is 2 hrs and 40 minutes long and should be seen in #D on as big a screen as possible, though I'm not sure its necessarily worth shelling out extra $$$ for IMAX. That 10 ft smurf babe is pretty hot in real life too.

http://www.zoesaldana.com
    I plan on checking out this film sometime this week. Not sure what political leanings you are referring to, as I heard the story is a typical star wars type theme (evil empire tries to kill innocent people/aliens). The Pandorians seem to be much more attractive than ewoks and wookies.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this technological breakthrough in film making. It's been a while since The Matrix was created with some really ground breaking film technology, and Avatar seems to have pushed the film making threshold much like the Matrix and Star Wars in their day.

Promote yourself and earn more money! This is a business that is owned by strippers for strippers. Let's make that money!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,133 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

It was fabulous Paris. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen. I saw nothing wrong with the story. He kept it simple but interesting at the same time.
    Sorry I missed church. I was too busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free." The Dark Knight

"you conjunctively engender an intoxicating combination of wicked, wholesome & insanely intelligent" - a friend describing me

Quote Originally Posted by lestat1 View Post
    ^^^ It's a penis, not a martini shaker.
    Blessed Be

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JayATee For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paris View Post
    I plan on checking out this film sometime this week. Not sure what political leanings you are referring to, as I heard the story is a typical star wars type theme (evil empire tries to kill innocent people/aliens). The Pandorians seem to be much more attractive than ewoks and wookies.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this technological breakthrough in film making. It's been a while since The Matrix was created with some really ground breaking film technology, and Avatar seems to have pushed the film making threshold much like the Matrix and Star Wars in their day.
    You and I are at opposite ends of the political spectrum so we might react differently to the storyline. ( take a wild guess who the bad guys here are invading an alien planet to plunder their natural resources).

Nevertheless, we will however agree ( I assume) that the film-making technology is groundbreaking. Make sure you see it in 3D. If you don't mind the extra $$$, I'd even suggest seeing it in 3D IMAX.

Actually it uses the same technology that Christmas Carol uses, only on steroids.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

It's definitely visually stunning but I'm not comfortable labeling it an epic. The LOTR series was epic. This was very good but not to the standards of LOTR IMO. The plot is more or less the same as Dances with Wolves or The Last Samurai. As far as the special effects: 10/10. As far as the story/acting/etc.: 8/10.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,291 Times in 1,133 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

To each their own I guess... Me and all my friends have agreed Epic doesn't do it justice.
    Sorry I missed church. I was too busy practicing witchcraft and becoming a lesbian.

"If you're good at something, never do it for free." The Dark Knight

"you conjunctively engender an intoxicating combination of wicked, wholesome & insanely intelligent" - a friend describing me

Quote Originally Posted by lestat1 View Post
    ^^^ It's a penis, not a martini shaker.
    Blessed Be

Thanks

I expected this movie to suck. In truth the movie felt mediocre in terms of plot, but!.. and a big but.. this is the first time I've seen a 3-D movie and really walked away feeling OKAY, I'm a believer... 3-D is what might bring me into the theater. The movie was a like a living dream, the 3-D effect good enough I forgot about and was "in the movie", totally forgetting reality for a time, and isn't that what a movie should do?

It helped a LOT that several characters were likable. I found myself caring if they lived or died, and too many movies fail because they fail to make us like (even superficially) at least one character.

I would say this is the movie that is the pivotal point for 3-D in the industry.
    I promise not to look down on you if you can laugh at lawyer jokes. - minnow

Thanks

Such an awesome movie! Saw it on Christmas day, and am planning a trip to Portland to see it at an IMAX theater. Didn't really see anything political about it, but I suppose if you follow politics closely, everything looks political.

So, who is going as a Na'vi for Halloween this year?

Promote yourself and earn more money! This is a business that is owned by strippers for strippers. Let's make that money!

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 670 Posts

You can't really have a good vs. evil story without political innuendos... Someone's got to be the bad guy...

The Bad Guys in Avatar: Greedy amoral corporate officers that seek to collect precious natural resources from natural and unspoiled foreign land and have no concern or compassion for the natives or their habitat.

Sounds a lot like this -
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...-disaster.html
    http://chevrontoxico.com/about/rainforest-chernobyl/
    Last edited by jack0177057; 02-18-2010 at 05:51 PM.