Thread: Mr Hyde's Top 7 list of movies that will make you want to kill yourself

Thanks

Default Mr Hyde's Top 7 list of movies that will make you want to kill yourself

7-The Wrestler-This movie teases you and makes you think the protagonist has a chance at redemption, and he does...except his choice of redemption makes you want to kill yourself

6-Million Dollar Baby-This movie is also a tease, with one of the two main characters redeeming herself only to end in a fate that makes you want to kill yourself

5-Schindler's List-The longest of the most depressing movies ever made. Watching this movie is like marching slowly to the edge of your own grave and then killing yourself.

4-Leaving Las Vegas-There is no tease in this movie. You know what the main character is going to do, he's going to kill himself and we get to watch him do it so slowly that it makes you want to do the same to yourself.

3-The Mist-Most of this movie it not depressing really, but the ending is so damned shocking and depressing that it makes you want to kill yourself

2-They Shoot Horses, Don't They?-This movie reverberates today, given our economy, and the whole thing is like watching people kill themselves for a nickel while someone mocks them for it because that's the best chance they have for redemption. Actually, that's not what it's like, that's what it is. I think I'll kill myself now.

1-Requiem for a Dream-There is nothing about this movie that is in the least cheerful. Not one thing. The title says it all...a funeral dirge for the dreams of its protagonists. By the end of it, you will want to do nothing more than go stare at a wall and hope that you never see it again, and then you'll remember the theme music and then you'll kill yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,383 Posts
    My Mood
    Chatty

Default Re: Mr Hyde's Top 7 list of movies that will make you want to kill yourself

Oh wow, great list - all of those movies sound hella depressing.

I'd like to add one though, if that's alright

8. Passion of the Christ - (Spoiler Alert) Jesus Dies.

Thanks

Default Re: Mr Hyde's Top 7 list of movies that will make you want to kill yourself

Heck - just about every chinese love story kung fu movie made ends with the damsel killing her self. Then you want to kill yourself knowing "the great sadness" due at the end.

Thanks

i love your list, especially agree with The Mist.

i have one to add too: The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas. 8 year old boy in Nazi Germany befriends 8 year old boy in concentration camp. Ends very very badly. This movie f-ed me up, though i highly recommend it.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

* Ningyo Hime's the little mermaid. this is a sad movie, but i HIGHLY recommend it. it was one of my childhood favorites and this is before the disney version came out. unlike disney, it is true to the original hans christian anderson tale (in the real story, marina kills herself at the end). it's a 1970's anime version (which got me into anime as a kid). i've been lucky enough to find a copy on dvd. maybe not a good addition for hyde's list- it doesnt make me want to kill myself at all- it makes me think of something happy from my childhood (and how fortunate i am that i got REAL fairytales, ex: bluebeard). i have read reviews from people on amazon that this little mermaid version disturbed them as kids. *sigh*
    here's a clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTEIUleZhe8
    you can find more on youtube (dvd is VERY rare)

these are sad:
    * last exit to brooklyn. a hard to find movie. (havent seen it, but read the book). same author as requiem for a dream (hubert selby). there's a part in it about a prostitute named tralala. very fucked up.
    * recycled life. sad documentary about people living in guatemala's dump. makes you think about recycling big time.

i'll keep adding as i think of more.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post

4-Leaving Las Vegas-There is no tease in this movie. You know what the main character is going to do, he's going to kill himself and we get to watch him do it so slowly that it makes you want to do the same to yourself.
    One of my fave films, yet I forget who plays the male lead. Help anyone?
    A civilian spends money to look good
    A stripper looks good to make money
    A civilian may be after your wage
    A stripper laughs at your wage

Thanks
    Thanked 3,253 Times in 1,343 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Jezzebelle View Post
    One of my fave films, yet I forget who plays the male lead. Help anyone?
    Nicolas Cage.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trem For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh yeah!!!! Thanks
    A civilian spends money to look good
    A stripper looks good to make money
    A civilian may be after your wage
    A stripper laughs at your wage

Thanks

I think that movie 'Precious' could probably battle it with 'Requiem' for #1 spot......