Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is Christianity just for the delusional??

Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 2,649 Posts

Default Re: Is Christianity just for the delusional??

As for the original question, since there's been some interesting replies we'll let it stand.

But this is worth pondering:

God pissed about dildos.jpg
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,245 Times in 754 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    You forgot option C:

If you believe in the wrong god, you could possibly make GOD more angry and end up in hell. There is zero evidence that the god you believe in is any more real than the god or gods of people of other faiths.
    Option D: All Gods are the same God under different names. If God exists you can't tell him what to do... No reason he can't talk to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    I remember when my "born again " sister wouldn't go see " Cats " on Broadway because her pastor told her it was " demonic ".
    I wouldn't go see it because the movie causes NIGHTMARES. It's fucking terrible.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

Thanks

Willie B. Hardigan,

I want to find out how much you actually know about your Religion: What was Jesus Christ's real name? (Hint: Christ is a TITLE, not a name, his name was NOT Jesus), what was it? I know, do you?
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    Willie B. Hardigan,

I want to find out how much you actually know about your Religion: What was Jesus Christ's real name? (Hint: Christ is a TITLE, not a name, his name was NOT Jesus), what was it? I know, do you?
    Yeshua ? Hebrew for Joshua I am pretty sure.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I really wish you hadn't done that. I wanted to see if he knew. But yes, it's Yeshua. And also yes, it's a variant of Joshua, though they did name kids Joshua. But his true name was Yeshua.

Christ is Classical Greek for Messiah, or at least it's the one that approaches it the most. Essentially, it means "One who is anointed."

Oh well, no worries, as the Australians say. But I would have liked to have seen him dance around for a bit.
    Last edited by Raziel; 10-28-2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: One who is anointed

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B. Hardigan View Post
    I believe in GOD:
    A:
    if im wrong - nothing
    if im right -- HEAVEN
    B:
    If you dont believe:
    if youre right - nothing
    if youre wrong - HELL

That is not belief, just negotiation and accomodation. IMHO
    I loved going to strip clubs; I actually made some friends there. Now things are different for the clubs and for me. As a result I am not as happy.

Customers are not entitled to grope, disrespect, or rob strippers. This is their job, not their hobby, and they all need income. Clubs are not just some erotic show for guys to view while drinking.

NOTE: anything I post here, outside of a direct quote, is my opinion only, which I am entitled to. Take it for what you estimate it is worth.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,105 Times in 2,649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    Yeshua ? Hebrew for Joshua I am pretty sure.
    Give that man the prize!
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 1,604 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Djoser View Post
    Give that man the prize!
    WTF about me????? I knew it firmly AND knew what Christ meant. I don't get a bumper car???????

(I'm. just kidding)

Thanks

I went to a Catholic school (which in Australia is how to get your kids a better than public school education without paying the private school fees). I first realised I was an atheist in high school, I just did the required religion education and attended mass because I had to. Being in choir made it tolerable because I love to sing, even if I was singing about God and Jesus. Anyway, many new Atheists go through the angry Atheist phase in the beginning. For some people this means enjoying engaging Jehovah's witnesses in religious debate for fun. I never got into this - I hate conflict. After studying Psychology I've realised the mental leaps people's brains can do if someone wants to believe something. Which means that nothing I say to someone will convince them that the evidence says their beliefs are wrong. Tim Minchin's "Storm" describes it best: https://youtu.be/HhGuXCuDb1U

Thanks

Shit, I always fight with Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't even come to my house anymore. I wish they'd come back, pissing them off is hilarious.

But we can never really know whether there is a God or not. It's not a giant deal, as I live on Earth, not Heaven.

Thanks

BTW: I doubt Miriam (Mary), an Israelite peasant, is going to even be able to name her kid TWO GREEK WORKS. How the fuck is she even going to know Greek? That was all Paul. Paul hijacked the whole thing. They should call it Paulianisty. Paul was a scholar, he knew Greek.

And another BTW: Who the fuck is Joseph? His wife gets knocked up and he just buys that GOD put the kid in her? Occam's Razor. The simplest, most direct explanation tends to be the correct one. Basic Scientific principle. What's more likely, that an all powerful God inserted a Baby into Miriam, or that Miriam fucked some dude and got knocked up? Joseph was an idiot.
    Last edited by Raziel; 10-28-2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Idiot

Thanks

BTW: I doubt Miriam (Mary), an Israelite peasant, is going to even be able to name her kid TWO GREEK WORKS. How the fuck is she even going to know Greek? That was all Paul. Paul hijacked the whole thing. They should call it Paulianisty. Paul was a scholar, he knew Greek.

And another BTW: Who the fuck is Joseph? His wife gets knocked up and he just buys that GOD put the kid in her? Occam's Razor. The simplest, most direct explanation tends to be the correct one. Basic Scientific principle. What's more likely, that an all powerful God inserted a Baby into Miriam, or that Miriam fucked some dude and got knocked up? Joseph was an idiot.
    Hmmm. I agree that believers have to do some serious mental gymnastics to accommodate their beliefs to scientific reality. Except for that nut with his Noah's Ark in Kentucky. His solution is to just lie to children. From personal experience , children do NOT like being lied to. It's a great way to get them to distrust their parents. It did for me .

And the Jehovah's Witnesses are a truly wackadoodle bunch imho.

That being said , I don't see a reason to mock religious belief. Especially those of sincere Christians who do a lot of good in this world. Let them believe what they want so long as they observe the 11th Commandment - "Keep Thy Religion To Thyself And Do Not Try To Impose It On Me " .
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks

I'm not MOCKING Religious belief, Eric, I'm questioning it. I believe that if god does exist, IT is probably something totally different than what we have ever imagined. And I do NOT believe that Yeshua was it's son. I think Yeshua was a great spiritual teacher who had a lot of great things to say. But I don't buy for a second that he was God in a man suit. He never says he was in the Gospels. He calls God "Father" but most Rabbi's did then.

Everything I typed is what I feel.

Look, I'm usually not angry with you. But please don't imply that I am MOCKING religious belief.
    Last edited by Raziel; 10-28-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks

You're not going to be able to fit the mind of GOD into a BOOK.

Thanks

I'm not MOCKING Religious belief, Eric, I'm questioning it. I believe that if god does exist, IT is probably something totally different than what we have ever imagined. And I do NOT believe that Yeshua was his son. I think Yeshua was a great spiritual teacher who had a lot of great things to say. But I don't buy for a second that he was God in a man suit. He never says he was in the Gospels. He calls God "Father" but most Rabbi's did then.

Everything I typed is what I feel.

Look, I'm usually not angry with you. But please don't imply that I am MOCKING religious belief.
    Actually he did. Sorta. In the Book of John. Mostly he called himself the "Son Of Man" meaning he was God in human form, living as a human being. Others repeatedly call him "Son of God ". I'll never forget one of my nuns almost fainting in Religion class when one of the kids said that Christ had to pee and poop. Well , yeah , if he was in human form. We know that he ate and drank and could feel pain and bleed and feel emotion and shed tears.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks

Son of man? Where does that say he is God? And the book of John is mostly theological. We don't know when it was written. And "Son of God?" How can he be the Father and the Son at the same time? Dude, that shit makes no sense. Mental backflips.

As for "Son of God," other people can call him whatever they want. He never calls himself that. Other people will do that. He was like a GOOD cult leader.

Thanks

TW suicide:

One of the reasons I didn't kill myself as a teenager was because I didn't believe there was an afterlife or somewhere I could go to where I'd be happy and see the family members that had passed before me.

Thanks

Well, Shy, Agnostic. I drive Religious people crazy.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,869 Times in 1,604 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

I’m thankful towards the JWs and Mormons for one thing, at least. I always keep some of the literature they give me in my purse so when someone I have no interest tries chatting me up, I can pull that out and ask them if they have a moment to talk about JC. Works like a charm.
    Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

26. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Son of man? Where does that say he is God? And the book of John is mostly theological. We don't know when it was written. And "Son of God?" How can he be the Father and the Son at the same time? Dude, that shit makes no sense. Mental backflips.

As for "Son of God," other people can call him whatever they want. He never calls himself that. Other people will do that. He was like a GOOD cult leader.
    Then you must have a lot of fun with the whole Trinity concept. Father , son and Holy Spirit. Christ is supposed to be God in human form. "This is my son with whom I am well pleased ; for God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son to die for us " ( John 3:16 ) etc. If his father is God then Christ is God or so I was taught.

My big problem with most "born agains" and Christers is believing that a just and loving God would reject a gentle soul like the Dalai Lama ; or Gandhi or many others I have met who have lived very generous and compassionate lives without being Christian. Would god really reject Plato , Socrates and Aristotle and consign them to the infernal regions just because they never met Jesus ?

As you point out the, Christian Church that we know today is primarily a Pauline Church as it was St. Paul who helped set up so many early churches around the Mediterranean region. All those epistles he wrote were to encourage and guide the members. Luke , "the beloved physician " was Paul's best bud. Most of the members if those churches spoke Greek. Most of current Christian doctrine comes from Paul and his writings. Including my personal favorite , speaking in tongues. Absolutely ridiculous and meaningless babbling imho. Women should be quiet in church is another one. Then there is St. Augustine and his "City Of God " saying you can beat blasphemers and non-believers ( i.e. those that disagree with him ).
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks

^ Well, I guess I can't argue with that. Dammit, Eric.

Thanks

^ Well, I guess I can't argue with that. Dammit, Eric.
    Why would you ? It's all historical fact.
    A
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks

I'm just teasing you, dude.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123