Thread: Anyone running on Linux?

SpeakngEZ

Default Anyone running on Linux?

I just started using linux exclusively and I'm wondering if I should expect to encounter any problems with cam sites. My nerd friends are skeptical, saying MFC wouldn't take the time to make the program compatible with linux because, well, girls don't often use linux.

I'm downloading the software for MFC today. I haven't tried CW or WC yet. Even if you're not using my cam sites, anyone care to share experiences? I'd appreciate it-- I haven't had much time to work lately and I can't take more time just to debug.

SpeakngEZ

Default Re: Anyone running on Linux?

Noooope. Can't run MFC on Linux. That's a bummer.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

You won't really be able to any good camming with linux. It is really hard to find an appropriate driver for your cam. You will be lucky if you can get sound or get your mic to work. Only sites you can work off are the ones that do not have additional cam software such as mfc. Overall your video quality everything else is really going to lack. I tried camming with linux and did not go over so well.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Mfc won't even take the time to make mac compatible software and everyone has a mac

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I have been using Linux for years. And, yes, you can run cams through it. You have two options:

1. Install WINE, a Windows emulator, and try installing the MFC junk through that.
    2. Install VirtualBox and run your Mfc through the virtual machine (running Windows).

In both the above you'll see a performance hit, but if your host machine is peppy enough, this may not matter at all. Shoot me a PM if you want more advice.

Linux rocks!

SpeakngEZ

Quote Originally Posted by penandink1019 View Post
    1. Install WINE, a Windows emulator, and try installing the MFC junk through that.
    2. Install VirtualBox and run your Mfc through the virtual machine (running Windows).
    [...]
    Linux rocks!
    I've been considering doing this since I started using Linux, DF told me I could do it. He needs to get around to showing me how to run Windows through Linux so I can try it out. That way I won't have to shut down and restart my comp whenever I want to cam. He gets offended when I take tech advice from other guys though (anyone, really, but let's face it, from guys). So I just need to wait.

On a side, SW thinks that "tech" is a misspelled word but "i", not capitalized, is just fine.

ETA: He's been putting off doing it because he doesn't think my computer can handle it. He has a point-- my comp tends to overheat when I watch a youtube video. I have to keep an icepack under it when I cam.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Ice pack? That's a new one. Sounds like "DF" can help you but won't, either because he's a brat or--more likely--because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

holy eff why didnt anyone tell me about WINE earlier? soo much cheaper than buying a laptop just for camming

has anyone had success running mfc on crossover? it installed fine but it wont let me click on any links when i log in and it wont let me go on webcam
    arggg doesnt work with winebottler either

update- so it looks like WINE doesnt work for MFC but Virtual box does. you just need a valid copy of windows. apparently some webcams dont work on it though (including mine)
    Last edited by lagirl; 04-24-2011 at 07:18 AM.

SpeakngEZ

Ice pack? That's a new one. Sounds like "DF" can help you but won't, either because he's a brat or--more likely--because he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Sounds like you're the one who likes to run his mouth when he doesn't know what he's talking about. DF (short for dear finacee) does this kind of stuff for a living-- he's a senior web developer. I've seen him use virtual box on his own system. He drops everything to help me when he can. But he's right about my comp-- it's a piece of shit. It runs at temperatures that should fry the hard drive and it has 2 GB of memory. It simply would not be able to handle such a program.

ETA: And I think that you're just pissed because the stripper doesn't want to PM you to talk about computers.
    Last edited by SpeakngEZ; 04-24-2011 at 11:01 PM.

SpeakngEZ

Quote Originally Posted by lagirl View Post
    update- so it looks like WINE doesnt work for MFC but Virtual box does. you just need a valid copy of windows. apparently some webcams dont work on it though (including mine)
    Thanks for finding that out!

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakngEZ View Post
    Sounds like you're the one who likes to run his mouth when he doesn't know what he's talking about. DF (short for dear finacee) does this kind of stuff for a living-- he's a senior web developer. I've seen him use virtual box on his own system. He drops everything to help me when he can. But he's right about my comp-- it's a piece of shit. It runs at temperatures that should fry the hard drive and it has 2 GB of memory. It simply would not be able to handle such a program.

ETA: And I think that you're just pissed because the stripper doesn't want to PM you to talk about computers.
    SpeakingEZ, glad you and DF solved the tech issue. Peace.

P.S. 2GB is plenty for VirtualBox on Linux, silly, even with the relatively "fat" Ubuntu distro. You might want to change your in-house tech "expert."
    Last edited by penandink1019; 04-25-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks

SpeakingEZ, glad you and DF solved the tech issue. Peace.

P.S. 2GB is plenty for VirtualBox on Linux, silly, even with the relatively "fat" Ubuntu distro. You might want to change your in-house tech "expert."
    I agree about 2gb being plenty for Linux. My nephew runs Ubuntu on an older laptop with 512kb RAM and a 1.8Ghz single core processor. It never runs hot and it starts up faster than with Windows XP (what it had originally).

Thanks

I've been considering doing this since I started using Linux, DF told me I could do it. He needs to get around to showing me how to run Windows through Linux so I can try it out. That way I won't have to shut down and restart my comp whenever I want to cam. He gets offended when I take tech advice from other guys though (anyone, really, but let's face it, from guys). So I just need to wait.

On a side, SW thinks that "tech" is a misspelled word but "i", not capitalized, is just fine.

ETA: He's been putting off doing it because he doesn't think my computer can handle it. He has a point-- my comp tends to overheat when I watch a youtube video. I have to keep an icepack under it when I cam.
    Do you literally mean an icepack? Like ice in a plastic bag? That sounds really dangerous under a computer. If it leaked at all, you could fry your laptop. You can get a laptop cooler at Walmart for $20 or less. It is just a device with fans in it that plugs into your computer and pulls hot air away from the computer.

Web developer does not necessarily equal PC technician. A web developer works on software whereas a PC technician works on hardware. They are completely different and most people are not experts in both. My husband is more of a hardware geek and I am more of a software person although I do know some of the hardware aspects. I think maybe your fiancee does not know as much about computers as he thinks he does but doesn't want to admit it. That would explain why he doesn't like you talking to other people about your computer.

SpeakngEZ

I mean a medical icepack. No actual water. It's a product defect that it runs at such high temps but it's long past the warranty and I won't be able to afford a new one for another couple months. When I first got the laptop, we called the company to demand an explanation but they refused to believe that it could be happening. (It's been proven as an actual defect since.) I had a cooling pad at some point but it's long been burnt out. It literally shuts itself down if I'm watching youtube without my icepack. Piece of crap.

And 2GB might be plenty to run virtual box if I actually had 2GB free, silly. See, other programs are already on my computer taking up space. I didn't say I had 2GB available. I don't even have space for my camming clips-- I put them on a thumb drive. But even IF it did have enough space, the program would still make the computer work too hard to keep its temp down, especially since I'd be running the MFC software and my music at the same time. When I get a new laptop, I'll use the program. But right now, it's not an option.

Any web developer that doesn't do his own tech work isn't worth his salt. Mine knows enough to build his own computers and sniff out a burnt ram. It's a jealously thing for him that he doesn't like me talking to other nerds for computer advice. If your husband was a plumber, don't you think he'd be offended if you called someone else to fix the drain?
    Last edited by SpeakngEZ; 05-05-2011 at 08:03 PM.