Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wigs

Thanks

Default Wigs

Can anyone point me in the direction of a reputable site for wigs that they've had good experiences with? A google search of " wigs" sometimes takes me to some pages that don't look trustworthy. Lace front or not, I'm open. Thanks!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Default Re: Wigs

I've got a long list of good quality Wigs Links somewhere on this laptop.....give me a short while and I'll find them for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls don't have the time..!!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pussyinboots For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,463 Posts
    My Mood
    Sneaky

Quote Originally Posted by pussyinboots View Post
    I've got a long list of good quality Wigs Links somewhere on this laptop.....give me a short while and I'll find them for you.
    OOoOoOooOooh! I can't wait to see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
    ^What Sophia said.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda57us View Post
    I wish there was an "auto-like" setting that I could just have applied to all of your posts Sophia....

Thanks

hairsisters.com is very extensive. You may not want to order from them since apparently they take forever and 10 days to get your package to you, but they are top notch because women actually log on and review the hair. Some take pictures and post videos. It's really a godsend. We know how terrible a wig can look on a mannequin or in a picture but comes to life on someone's head.

If you see a wig you are interested in, try looking for a review on youtube. Lots of ladies on there try them on for everyone to see. Better them than me!

Sites safe to order from:

http://www.samsbeauty.com/#

http://www.blackhairspray.com/

http://elevatestyles.com/p/
    Last edited by PleasureVictim; 05-31-2011 at 03:41 PM.
    Women of color:
    Shake your ass and preserve your heritage.
    Bang those fucking drums.
    Do it for the present and future generations.
    Have fun and stick it to the man at the same time.
    (bad-dominicana)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PleasureVictim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Here's my links - I have used nearly all of them at one time or another, and they all Ship internationally:

'Hot Hair' (Nice variety):- http://www.hothair.co.uk/

'Wig Salon' (Do real hair wigs too):- http://www.wigsalon.com/

'Mandeville' (The Rolls-Royce of real hair bespoke wigs):- http://www.mandeville-wigs.co.uk/?gc...FQEY4QodhFTAcQ

'Missy Hair' (Good for black girl's fashions): - http://www.missyhair.co.uk/index.php...=asc&mode=grid

'Natural Wigs' (All human hair weaves):- http://www.naturalwigs.co.uk/trendco-human-hair-wigs/

'Simply Wigs' (Good range of styles):- http://www.simplywigs.co.uk/

'Wigs Of London' (Top quality human hair and synthetic weaves):- http://www.wigsoflondon.net/

'World Of Wigs' (Real quality range of weaves and wigs):- http://www.wigworld.co.uk/

Hope this helps you find something....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pussyinboots For This Useful Post:

Thanks

^Thanks so much!

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 730 Posts

Since we are on this topic, I'm just wondering how easy is it to lose your wig while working??? I'm not planning on getting into a brawl, so I'm talking more about dancing and stuff. Not even sure I want to wear a wig yet but...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by lokikola View Post
    Since we are on this topic, I'm just wondering how easy is it to lose your wig while working??? I'm not planning on getting into a brawl, so I'm talking more about dancing and stuff. Not even sure I want to wear a wig yet but...
    Wigs are actually a fairly close fit and are kept very firmly in place by the net. Dancing and pole work shouldn't be a problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    Thanks

I've been ordering lace fronts from hairsisters.com for 2 years now. Never once had a problem with deliveries. I've order from them while I lived in Germany-7 days for delivery, I've ordered from them while I lived in Miami- 7 to 9 days for delivery. I've ordered from them while I've been living in Hawaii 4-5 days for delivery. I love them! I have nothing but positive things to say about them. My favorite lace front brand is "Freetress Equal The Luxury Integration"

Banned
    Thanks

Front lace glue it on, make sure your back adjustments are tight enough but comfortable. I do pole tricks upside down sweating, never once had a problem. It always looks natural. Try to get the wigs with baby hair it really gives the extra natural kick. Just make sure to buy an advance hold lace front glue that you can't sweat off.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,267 Times in 730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rudi View Post
    Front lace glue it on, make sure your back adjustments are tight enough but comfortable. I do pole tricks upside down sweating, never once had a problem. It always looks natural. Try to get the wigs with baby hair it really gives the extra natural kick. Just make sure to buy an advance hold lace front glue that you can't sweat off.
    Sorry I'm so clueless about this, but don't lace front wigs mean you keep them on for several days? Or can you take it off when you get home?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Sorry I'm so clueless about this, but don't lace front wigs mean you keep them on for several days? Or can you take it off when you get home?
    You're right.......although extended wearing will depend on what adhesives you use, your body chemistry, how your skin responds to the adhesives, and how frequently you wish to re-apply the wig - it's your choice.

It's important for you to take care of your hair and scalp condition underneath during extended wig wearing. Most folks can get 2-3 week hold with the right adhesives, washing, and nurturing their own hair in between applications.

Of course, if you are bald or have significant hair loss, you are likely to achieve a much longer hold......but I'm sure that this doesn't apply in your case Sweetie...!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pussyinboots For This Useful Post:

Thanks

if ur in nyc take the 6train toward da bronx..last stop..pellham bay...as soon as u get off the train you will see a beauty supply store next to a diner... i think the guys name is mike...he will have anything and everything and you can try them on..his persona and customer service will seperate himself from any website or store.. my 2nd choice would be in freeport long island on merrick road...they may be far but its worth the trip...(hope this helps as well)

xoxo DJ Paulitto

18. The Following User Says Thank You to paulitto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Funny you mention this...

There was a newbie at work that spun around the pole and her wig flew off on the floor, not good.

Everyone, including the DJ, saw it go flying and the DJ started cracking up on the microphone, not good.

So, please pin your sh$$ down, if you're going to flaunt a wig.

Thanks

Thank Goodness I smartened up! The old me is dead and gone.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to So Fine Divyne For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by paulitto View Post
    if ur in nyc take the 6train toward da bronx..last stop..pellham bay...as soon as u get off the train you will see a beauty supply store next to a diner... i think the guys name is mike...he will have anything and everything and you can try them on..his persona and customer service will seperate himself from any website or store.. my 2nd choice would be in freeport long island on merrick road...they may be far but its worth the trip...(hope this helps as well)

xoxo DJ Paulitto
    So you saying this place is real good? Im relatively new to NYC so I haven't found the best wigs yet. found one good one at wigs and plus. trying to find a good spot! The Bronx is far from where i'm at but if you say its real good i'll make the hike!

Featured Member lifetravelergirl's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

I started looking at wigs again. I never went through the first time except for Halloween at work. I bought a Sepia brand wig ((before this thread)) and it is too tight on my cranium O_o . My big ol' head needs a bigger wig than that. I measured and I am (around the cranium) 22 3/4, ear to ear 13" and nape to hairline 13".

I am worried about ordering a wig and having it be too small, too tight. Was looking on Ebay and asked a question, the seller said that her wigs fit up to 23" but in the auctions it says different, like some of them say they fit up to 22 1/2 and some of them say they fit an average size head. Of course you can't return wigs for hygienic reasons O_o ...

Does anyone else who wears wigs had to deal with the size issue?

Thanks

I have not tried this technique, though I have a couple of wigs that need enlarging. maybe after I finish sewing my outfits for my next strip trip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rbi6...5&feature=plcp

If you need to fill your wig out, I've used this technique and it works very well.I usually buy the synthetic weaving hair on tracks at sally hansen. They are a bit shiny but are durable ( I can use a flat iron at a low temp and have dipped them in very hot water) and blend nicely. If the shine is too much, just apply some baby powder to it. I have also taken apart the wefts of some of my worse for wear wigs and used them to fill out the newer ones. Save your old wigs ( wish I did when I first started wearing them ).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLdN3vvmh40

I have really long dark hair and have no problem pulling off the blonde. You can grab a cap in a light color but I usually just wear the wave caps I can get a Wal -Mart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wavebuilde...-1-ct/10319241 Cheap and easy to find at 3 am when I get my shopping done. I also flat iron my hair and slick it down with http://www.walmart.com/ip/Olive-Oil-...z/10324833.You can also lightly spray the oil sheen on your wig to keep it from frizzing.

I am not a fan of Sepia wigs. I bought both the Misty and Electra wigs and the caps ran small. They also were not very durable and heat styling trashed them. I have not had this problem with any of my other wigs ( Forever Young, Jenny's Hair Sense, various brands that I don't know the manufacturer ). I wore it to work and It kept slipping and looked like crappy the end of my shift. I will add that both wigs came down to the top of my butt and I am 5'10. The really long ones take alot of maintenance, but I have had 6 of the Forever young Lavishly Wild wigs and a couple other brands of the same length and never had them look fried at the end of a shift. On the flip side, if your wig is half way down your back or shorter, they do tend to hold up better.

I have never tried Incognito wigs because i always felt they looked too much like crap Halloween wigs. I think for the price, I would try Forever Young. I have owned about 20 of them and have never been disappointed. Jenny's Hair Sense Josephine is another one that fit really well and was a work horse. The only two cons is that they are very shiny and you will have to apply baby powder to it and I can rarely find them for under 70 bucks. There used to be a place I bought them for 40 but they went out of business. Some times you can get lucky and catch an auction on ebay.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thrillgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Thank you Thrill Girl for all the awesome information ^_^ !

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

I am very happy with the wigs from jennyhairsense on Ebay. They felt good while I was wearing them. The color wasn't quite right for me I don't think so I just ordered another one O_o ...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Bestlacewigs.com
    Fridaynighthair.com
    Rpgshow.com

&! They arent really that hard to make. Youtube has a wealth of info. Since I've found out about lace closures, I dont order wigs anymore.
    - follow me on twitter! @ihateCocoa & on instagram! Welcome2Hollywood

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 278 Posts

I know this thread is a little old but there are so many wig threads that I didn't want to start new one.

The only wig I've ever own cost like $25 and was terrible; it was really hot and itchy, shed like crazy and was a ratty, tangled mess 5 mins after brushing. It was synthetic. The human hair ones that they had at this wig shop all looked really dull--like dead hair.

After that, I assumed that to get a decent wig, I'd need to shell out $200+. But on a lot of the links I see posted around SW, there are tons of wigs that look nice for like $30-40. Can I really get a comfortable and natural looking wig for so cheap?

Also, if the wig pictured has a center part, is it possible to part it differently? Or is it just sewn that way? I'm looking mostly at lace front ones---I really like the ones that have the lace on the top too so it looks more natural at the part.

The ones that are wavy, do they stay wavy even after you wash them? Or do you need to heat set it after every wash?

This is turning into 20 questions (wig edition) and I swear I've been googling like mad for answers but one more: As far as gluing the lace ones, someone on here said that you should wear it for a few days (weeks?) so that you don't damage your hair by taking it on and off every other day. How is this even possible? Do you just shower with the wig? And does the wig get all gummy where you put the glue/tape?

I'm gonna continue on with my googling but any advice or helpful tips would be awesome.
    "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." ~ Emma Goldman

Thanks
    Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,705 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheeky

There is a current and active wig thread already going lol but allthe same..

I wear a lace front in my day to day life and CAN NOT imagine for the life of me gluing it on and wearing it for days moreless weeks! I like washing my hair, and unwashed, shedding hair/natural oils gunking up/sweat and smell/ all of that would go down. Just doesnt seem right on any level to me. You can wear a lacefront without gluing it in...check out wig websites, most of them have a lot of detailed info in their faqs about the different ways to wear a lacefront.

For the ones with natural parts..yeah you can part it another way..just that the "skin" part wont be there, since generally its only in one place where they set the part. Or you can look for wigs that will specifically say that you can part it in any way, because they have the "skin" part go all the way across, giving you flexibility.

Yes, if its wavy/curly..then when you wash an airdry it, the waves/curls will spring back. You cant put heat to to *all* wigs, they have to specifically state so, and even then theres a heat limit. Personally, I have curled my wigs, and after I wash them, they spring back to their original waviness. After awhile though, it doesnt spring back exactly the same, but all the same, if my wig gets wet (like iM out in the rain or whatever) as it dries, it looks nice again.

Yes its possible to get a decent wig for that cost...I personally havnt paid more than $50 for mine, though I do sometimes buy them on sale. Also I take very good care of them with regular gentle washes.

Go to a different wig shop if all the ones in the one you went to had low / bad quality wigs. Around here, we have Elegant Hair Supply which is a major hair store, bigger than a Target store dedicated to all things hair and they have a huge selection of probably close to 200 wigs. All the same, I do like to order online because I can get better deals that way, and I read reviews/watch YouTube video reviews of the hair that I want to get. Most of them, the decent ones anyway, will have at least a YouTube review about it.
    Don't blink. Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkSharpie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,832 Times in 10,244 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Yeah, I love wigs, although I don't own one now..one thing I'd like to say, I think it's important to get your wig thinned/styled by a hairdresser. It makes them look more natural, not so 'wiggy'.
    I have to find some links, & will post them..

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlkSharpie View Post
    There is a current and active wig thread already going [...]

Damn. I suck.

But thanks so much for the info. I think you answered all my q's :-D As far as glue/tape goes, do you recommend against using that and just sticking to combs/pins?

I saw some lace fronts that said specifically that they were "no glue." I'm going to check out some of the faq's on the online stores now.

I haven't done a lot of searching for a brick and mortar wig shop. The one I bought my wig from was really cheap. All the wigs were $25 or 2/$40. The other one I checked out all the wigs were $200-500. I need to do some research and find a middle of the road place. I do like the idea of trying on a wig in a store and then shopping around online for the same one at a discount.

@whilerz I totally plan to take it to my friend to cut/style it for me (she's a stylist). I think that's really good advice. The ones that I've seen that are $300+ usually have better cuts than the cheaper ones. But if I can get a decent quality cheaper one, my friend can shape it up for me for dirt cheap and hopefully it will look as good as the expensive ones.

Thanks! I'm off to google some more.
    "If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." ~ Emma Goldman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast