Thread: Stupid "Security Protection" virus!

Thanks
    Thanked 14,531 Times in 3,944 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

Angry Stupid "Security Protection" virus!

About a week ago, I noticed the Security Protection virus pop up on my computer. It kept shutting down all my processes so I put my computer into safe mode and did a system restore to a point before the virus went active. I knew that was a stall at best, but at least I could access the internet to find out what to do with it. It's back again. Sometimes it pops up as Security Protection - now, though, it's mostly just going to a blue screen saying that my computer crashed. I found a site that listed the registry keys I needed to delete, but I couldn't find them... so I ran Rkill to stop the Security Protection processes and ran Malwarebytes. It said it found the trojans and got rid of them. But when I restarted my computer the icon was still there, and my computer crashed again. When I restarted it, the icon was gone, but my computer just keeps crashing over and over again right after I turn it on. The only way I can manage to do anything is to put it into safe mode. I ran Malwarebytes again and it says there are no risks. I don't know what the hell is wrong.

I know this isn't a computer forum, but I was wondering if anyone has had and successfully dealt with this virus. I've spent over $300 in the past few months fixing the powerjack and keyboard on my computer. I'm just about to drop over $700 on rent on a pet deposit. I really really don't want to have to take it into the shop and spend more money on it right now. Nothing I'm turning up on google really seems to help, since I already ran an anti-malware program that said it deleted all the risks.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Default Re: Stupid "Security Protection" virus!

Its a bad program. I got hit by it a few times. I just did what you did. I think its a virus used by the sellers of the security program to force you to buy their programs. I had 3 other software programs and was well protected. I didnt need this one.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bashful

Not all anti virus catches the same things. You could try AVG free for anti virus. Another good one is Stopzilla but you may have to pay for that. For nasty spyware/adware try a version of AdAware.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinkerBall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

You might want to try running Trend Micro's Housecall Anti-Virus. I've had some luck with it getting rid of stubborn malware.

There could be a rootkit virus that is re-infecting your PC every time you restart after you clean it with MalwareBytes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jannisary For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The technical name for what you have is rogueware. Some of the more aggressive apps like WinFixer are ridiculously difficult to remove even manually when you know what to do...dozens of registry keys, about a dozen system files and a few directories!

I found a guide for removing what it sounds like you have:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...ity-protection

Looks like you need to boot into safe mode (shown in the guide) and take a few extra steps with malwarebytes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Krill_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 364 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

If you get sick of trying to monkey with your computer just do a total wipe and reformat.

U Mad?

trololololol meets metal <3

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EvilChick1989 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Sunset View Post
    About a week ago, I noticed the Security Protection virus pop up on my computer. It kept shutting down all my processes so I put my computer into safe mode and did a system restore to a point before the virus went active. I knew that was a stall at best, but at least I could access the internet to find out what to do with it. It's back again. Sometimes it pops up as Security Protection - now, though, it's mostly just going to a blue screen saying that my computer crashed. I found a site that listed the registry keys I needed to delete, but I couldn't find them... so I ran Rkill to stop the Security Protection processes and ran Malwarebytes. It said it found the trojans and got rid of them. But when I restarted my computer the icon was still there, and my computer crashed again. When I restarted it, the icon was gone, but my computer just keeps crashing over and over again right after I turn it on. The only way I can manage to do anything is to put it into safe mode. I ran Malwarebytes again and it says there are no risks. I don't know what the hell is wrong.

I know this isn't a computer forum, but I was wondering if anyone has had and successfully dealt with this virus. I've spent over $300 in the past few months fixing the powerjack and keyboard on my computer. I'm just about to drop over $700 on rent on a pet deposit. I really really don't want to have to take it into the shop and spend more money on it right now. Nothing I'm turning up on google really seems to help, since I already ran an anti-malware program that said it deleted all the risks.
    If you don't have any luck here - you can always try THIS....it's a PC and Home Technology Forum:

www.avforums.com

Registration is FREE - and I have had several problems solved by posting on the Forums there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Good Girls keep diaries....Bad Girls don't have the time..!!"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pussyinboots For This Useful Post:

Featured Member FiendishGyrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,534 Times in 734 Posts

or switch to Linux instead of Windows or OSX. There's only like two hundred viruses for Linux compared to maybe a million for windows and several thousand (maybe) for OSX.

Linux is the best option for being virus free.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FiendishGyrator For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EvilChick1989 View Post
    If you get sick of trying to monkey with your computer just do a total wipe and reformat.
    just do this. either take it to a computer store and get is fixed for 50 bucks or download windows onto a cd and do it yourself (this is hard if you dont know how to do it)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hangin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bashful

If you have the recovery disk you can reload your original system or you can buy the disk from the pc manufacturer. That would wipe out everything you've done since then. There should be some anti virus that will handle what you have so you don't have to do that. I would try different free anti virus software products until you get rid of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TinkerBall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Mellow

Here check out this help forum for maleware.

It gives a step by step process for asking for help from their forum.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

I definitely wouldn't just wipe it and reformat without trying the tech forums more first.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jannisary For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,531 Times in 3,944 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

Thank you for the replies, everyone! I did have to borrow my friend's Windows 7 disk as I couldn't find mine, and just do a total wipe and reinstall. I didn't want to have to go there, but it got to the point where the virus wiped out everything. All my documents, folders, and programs were completely gone. The only thing left on there was the recycle bin and the stupid-ass virus program... while I was in "safe mode" no less Vicious little virus. So there was really no point to me trying to save it anymore... there was nothing to save lol Thankfully, I backed up all my important files onto an external hard drive the second I realized I had a virus, so I just have to go through and redownload programs.