Thread: Knees? Check. Legs? Check. Hips.. *Sigh* Check.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bitchy

Duh Knees? Check. Legs? Check. Hips.. *Sigh* Check.

I have been dancing a few months now, and my body has long since adjusted. Pole Work, Floor Work, etc, and you think I would be used to this by now. Can any of you lovely ladies please tell me how the HELL to deal with bruises? Short of Knee Pads and Midieval body armor, I am at a complete loss. You see, I am an unfortunate soul in that I bruise VERY easily. I'm not EVEN kidding! You can pinch me and literally sit and watch it form in like 3 minutes. It also doesn't help that my roots are pure scottish. My mom is red headed and freckled, and I take after her. Other than I inherited black hair and brown eyes from my daddy who is more than 1/4 Cherokee indian. I have that pale, pale, skin, and I don't tan, and when I say don't, I mean CAN'T. I literally burn and peel no matter what I do. Don't get me wrong one of the few things I ADORE about myself is the contrast that the dark hair and eyes throw against the pale skin. People like to tease me i'm a born Goth! But geez!

I have had problems with anemia, I have the Paraguard IUD and it makes me prone to heavier bleeding when i'm on my cycle, and I have to be careful to make sure I have a higher iron and magnesium intake around then, but I just had my iron checked and it's back within the normal range, so I know that isn't it. I hate that when my husband gives my hips a gentle squeeze (as is one of his gestures of affection for me when he's walking by me, or i'm sitting in his lap and we're cuddling.) I jump about 3 feet in the air and yelp. Then it makes him feel like crap because he made me yelp! Seriously HELP!
    Last edited by SouthernButterfly; 11-02-2011 at 02:11 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 728 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Default Re: Knees? Check. Legs? Check. Hips.. *Sigh* Check.

Arnica tablets will help to prevent bruising, and the cream helps to reduce it once it's already happened x

Thanks
    Thanked 6,893 Times in 2,672 Posts

I get bruised knees like it's my job, so I took to rocking over the knee socks or thigh highs all the time. It may not seem like much, but that layer of fabric makes quite the difference - not to mention covers any bruises!

Thanks

Not a cure but Sally Hansen aersol legs will cover those babies right up. You can use it on your entire body.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanna dior View Post
    I get bruised knees like it's my job, so I took to rocking over the knee socks or thigh highs all the time. It may not seem like much, but that layer of fabric makes quite the difference - not to mention covers any bruises!
    Snap. i'm the same colouring as you (celt skin types dont have the melanin except in freckles, i think) and i still bruise through socks or stockings, but not as, er, violently, and of course you cant see them! i also wear TONS of foundation if i ever get my legs out. like, wasting my really good face stuff just because i cant stand my bare legs

ETA - the hips are worse, just pile on the cover up!! i wear literally 3 layers of makeup on my side, and it's still visible. although i suspect its more a case of me being a bit drunk and over ambitious with my tricks by the end of the night ...

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bitchy

Covering them up really doesn't concern me, it's the pain and my poor husband when he squeezes my hips in his little affectionate way. I don't want to lose that because he's afraid of hurting. me.
    Being a sex symbol is a heavy load to carry, especially when one is tired, hurt and bewildered. - Marilyn Monroe

“I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.” - Marilyn Monroe

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.” - Marilyn Monroe

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I love the dark hair and eyes with very pale skin look! My mom had black hair, dark violet blue eyes, and white skin and I always wanted to look like her.

It took me a while to realize that coloring my light brown hair to blond was a much more flattering choice for my coloring.

I don't have too much advice for you except to avoid asprin and blood thining products if possible. I bruise easily and I'm clumsy (bad combo) so that's what I try to do.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 673 Posts

You should do a search=) There have been numerous threads on this subject and there is a ton of useful information floating around in SW history^^

Thanks
    Thanked 20,663 Times in 6,706 Posts

You'll bruise more easily when drinking (which thins the blood), and also when taking ibuprofen, etc.

I know that isn't very helpful, but...::shrugs::

Thanks

Pay attention to EXACTLY what is causing the bruises and then stop doing that or modify the action so it doesn't cause bruising. For example, sometimes I slam my shin into the pole while climbing and bruise as a result. This is avoided if I just pay attention to what I'm doing and climb carefully. Likewise, my shins used to get really beat up during lapdances because I never asked customers to empty their pockets. Now I ask and my shins are thankful.

If you gently rub over the bruise (as if you are exfoliating the skin there) it will increase circulation and help speed up recovery. A hairbrush works great for this.

Featured Member FiendishGyrator's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,536 Times in 735 Posts

blackstrap molasses for iron intake and period issues.

put a minty toothpaste on your bruises and a sheet of saran wrap over it and sleep on it. It fades the bruises a LOT faster.

You can also freeze spoons and massage the bruise to bring blood to the area to help drag away the dead blood cells that's left in the bruise area and help heal the bruised blood vessels faster.
    Ungoogle yourself:

Also, now offering phone sexins!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiendishGyrator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,663 Times in 6,706 Posts

Yeah, for really intense bruises you can try the "coin trick"...I've used it in the past for hickies (haha).

You take a coin with ribbing on the side (like a quarter) and, pressing down firmly on the bruise, actually push the dead blood cells out of that area. This can be pretty painful, but it massively speeds up healing and makes suspicious bruises (hickies, hand prints, etc.) go away. If you're doing it correctly--and with enough pressure--you'll see results quickly.

I've never tried it on a deeper bruise though, so maybe it wouldn't work as well. It could end up just being extraordinarily painful.

Weird, I know.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

Baby powder helps reduce friction and pressure from floor and pole work. It also helps keep you fresh I always put it on at work. Put a little extra on knees and where ever else you are bruising. Stay off the pole for a couple weeks and see if the amount of bruises reduce. The pole is what bruises me the most. After experimenting with your routine, you will be able to hone in on what is causing the bruising.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Dead

It took me about a year (maybe even a year and a half!) of dancing before my knees and body adjusted to the bruising of pole work and floor work. Now I no longer bruise...I think I also got more graceful and no longer banged my knees as hard on the floor and pole while dancing. But while I was bruising all the time during the initial stages of dancing, I would rub vitamin K cream mixed with arnica gel at night and it would do wonders in terms of speed up healing time. You could buy Vit K and arnica at a gnc or vitamin shoppe. I bought it online. You could also apply the vit K by itself or the arnica by itself but together it is an amazing combination.