Thread: learning to dance in later years

Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 727 Posts
    My Mood
    Cool

Default learning to dance in later years

Hello Ladies!

When I was a kid I would take dance classes and as soon as I expressed my frustration over not getting down one of the dance moves, my mom took that as a cue to pull me out and ive been frustrated about that ever since because if you start young I guess it's easier to build flexibility.

I'm now in my mid 20's and would like to start dancing as a hobby and/or passion..not exotic but more like jazz style of dancing which requires lots of flexibility. Has anyone started dancing in their 20's and made pretty good progress with it? And are there adult dance classes that are made for adults?

Thank you

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,124 Times in 3,086 Posts

Default Re: learning to dance in later years

I took dance classes as a youngster but I don't see anything wrong with this, as long as you don't expect a dancing (non stripping)career. Yes there are dance classes for older ages, including dance classes for senior citizens.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,711 Times in 4,721 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

Don't worry about the flexibility thing. Flexibility is something that can come and go, no matter what age you are. Kids are more flexible, but if you don't keep up your flexibility training, it doesn't matter how flexible you were, because you'll lose it over time. And if you want to become flexible again as an adult, you can. I'm 23 and just started flexibility training for the first time since high school. I was in dance classes from ages 5-18 and I was fairly flexible, but not extremely. After practicing on my own the past few weeks after years of nothing, I'm more flexible than I ever was when I was in dance classes. I can almost do the splits now and I've never been close. Flexibility is not something you need to train from a young age to accomplish - but it is something you need to do consistently if you want to gain and retain any progress.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member SweetPinkCupcake's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 386 Posts

Look on Amazon, too. I started learning how to club dance that way. I always go by the reviews on the DVD on Amazon and then order. Then you can do it in the privacy of your own home.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SweetPinkCupcake For This Useful Post: