Thread: Should I colour my hair?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,713 Posts

Default Should I colour my hair?

As many of you know, I have just spent an entire 13 months growing my hair out. No colour, no blow drying, washing it only once or twice a week. I'm planning to grow it about probably another 10 inches- right now it is bra strap length.

The thing is though, the bottom 6 or so inches are once colour (from the last time I dyed it) which has faded to a coppery brown (its ok I guess) and the rest of it is my natural colour: this ugly, dingy, dishwater blonde. It's mostly this colour: .

Should i take the plunge and dye it? I will not EVER be lightening it again so please do not suggest I go blonde (plus my husband isn't a fan of blonde hair) but I'm considering one of these colours:
    darkchocolatebrow-haircolor-greatlengths.jpg
    VV04.jpg
    ashlee-simpson-cloverfield.jpg

Ultimately, I want it about this long and in this style:
    9645273-pretty-girl-with-very-long-curly-hair-in-a-fashion-portrait-looking-in-camera.jpg

My hair is about that texture anyway.

So should I wait until it's the desired length? Or go ahead and dye it because I'll be depositing colour instead of stripping it? Cutting it is absolutely not an option, so I am not going to cut the old colour off.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,387 Posts
    My Mood
    Chatty

Default Re: Should I colour my hair?

Well, if you're taking good care of the hair you have, and you really don't want to keep your natural colour as your "forever colour" - then yeah, I think you should dye it now. I don't see the point in waiting until it has grown out to the exact length you want to dye it; you'll have to spend more time with a hair colour you're not happy with for no real reason. I've read that hair dye results in slower hair growth because it damages the scalp- so that would by my only concern. Have you noticed this phenomena (I haven't....)?

I really LOVE the chocolate brown colour. Definitely my favorite. The other two more reddish colours are pretty as well, but I find that I get tired and bored with red quickly (In like - 6 months) and want to change it to something else. Then you have to wait for those red undertones to fade/washout or even strip them out which would require lightening....

And I find chocolate brown brings out grey/light eyes better.

If you're not sure about the colour, you could always try a Demi-Dye that'll mostly wash out in a months time. Get to try it before you commit 100%.

Now the only problem is figuring out how to deposit the colour in a way that it will all be uniform (as you're currently two-toned and don't want to lighten anymore).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 702 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy

I'd go with the chocolate brown. Red washes out/fades too fast
    "You can close your eyes to reality but not to memories -Stainslaw J. Lec

Confuscius say: "Man who pull bra stap get bust in face"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to papillonluvr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,331 Times in 1,407 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by papillonluvr View Post
    I'd go with the chocolate brown. Red washes out/fades too fast
    This.

I used to dye my hair red and it was a pain in the ass. In a matter of weeks, it would turn into this hideous, light copper color. I think red hair is beautiful, but it takes a lot of commitment and you have to touch it up a lot.

Banned
    Thanks

I've had red colours before, so I know how much work they are. I've had black and cool dark brown but never the chocolate, so I am leaning towards that. If I wasn't so chicken shit I'd post photos so y'all could see. I'm just worried about stunting my hair's growth or making it dry and fucked up again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 702 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy

Going darker is better than bleaching, that's for sure. And going brown, you won't have to touch up nearly as often as red so there'll be less damage to your hair.
    "You can close your eyes to reality but not to memories -Stainslaw J. Lec

Confuscius say: "Man who pull bra stap get bust in face"

Thanks

In case you don't already do this, I'd suggest doing a once a week hair masque. I use Redken and also a Cholesterol mask once a week or whenever I see my hair looking a little dry. It has helped me a LOT since I have bleached blonde almost platinum hair and it is a few inches from waist length. So if it can help my parched hair it could certainly help yours! And take Biotin too, because that encourages growth! Sorry if that's a little off topic but I wanted to share stuff that's helped me.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxtc View Post
    MEN - poorly designed creatures

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BunniHops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,387 Posts
    My Mood
    Chatty

Med - If you go pure deposit with only a 10vol, you really won't fuck up your hair much at all. In fact, the dye might 'fill in' some more porous parts of your hair, and make it feel healthier/stronger.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 4everresolutions For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BunniHops View Post
    In case you don't already do this, I'd suggest doing a once a week hair masque. I use Redken and also a Cholesterol mask once a week or whenever I see my hair looking a little dry. It has helped me a LOT since I have bleached blonde almost platinum hair and it is a few inches from waist length. So if it can help my parched hair it could certainly help yours! And take Biotin too, because that encourages growth! Sorry if that's a little off topic but I wanted to share stuff that's helped me.
    Thanks, I appreciate it. I have to be really careful with masques because I'm deathly allergic to coconut (damn you Aussie products, damn you..) but I will definitely look into it, as well as the cholesterol. I do only wash the new growth on my hair too.. I put conditioner on the dyed part and wash the rest.

I'm always looking for new hair growth ideas.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,293 Posts
    My Mood
    Sick

hmmm I like the ashlee simpson colour but you mentioning this actually made me think maybe I should leave my hair alone for a while. Mine is similar to the photo bucket pic too... I usually add some highlights but want long hair... no cuts or colour for 13 months? You have inspired me.

Banned
    Thanks

Ok, so here's some pics of the situation at hand. All the blond crap is new growth, the rest is dye.
    <-- That's how I normally wear my hair, so the growth isn't so obvious.

<-- Here I pushed it all back so y'all can see how bad the colour demarcation line is.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and dye it. I can't stand being so 2 toned. It's less obvious when I let it be wavy and curly, but here it's freshly ironed so it looks ICK and obvious.

AUGGGH SO EMBARRASSING.
    Last edited by mediocrity; 02-22-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,293 Posts
    My Mood
    Sick

I don't think it looks that bad. I was picturing more of a contrast. But I'm a firm believer of doing what makes you happy regarding your appearance. So if u feel really self conscious, go for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,480 Times in 2,024 Posts
    My Mood
    Brooding

The chocolate brown is probably going to be the easiest to maintain as it'll hold the best and you won't have to redye your ends very often, if at all.
    But I like the red the best for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by camille27 View Post
    i am losing my fucking mind and i really just want this chloroform dream because i think that would just get me right with jesus.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DesuvsDeath For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 1,220 Posts

well..I got to see Meds head or top of....lol I like the dark red but I'm a guy & really don't know much of this stuff.

Banned
    Thanks

Here's a better angle:

I went and got it trimmed today, I think I'm going to make a colour appt soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,434 Times in 977 Posts

If you want to go brown, decide which "type" of brown. I use a level 3 red/violet based (3 RV) brown. I usually mix it with a 3 N (neutral). It doesn't look red or violet, it looks super dark brown, but really makes my eyes and tan stand out, much more than other level 3 browns. I hate the golden-y browns on me! There is neutral, warm, red based, and other types of brown that are all the same level of darkness. 3 is really dark, 2 is basically black.

I say ask for a demi permanent color. It's a deposit only, ammonia free dye that won't damage your hair at all. It washes out in a couple months or so, so you are not committed to the color. It does not permanently color your hair, it will 100% wash out eventually. If you want to dye it yourself, use a volume 10 developer with it, nothing higher. If you go for an appointment MAKE SURE they are NOT using permanent hair color on you! It will damage your hair, and you don't need it. Demi is perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by AznExtasy View Post
    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You can say that again.. not just on here but men in general. Guys are so damn lame, the only way they can halfway make up for it is by opening their wallets.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Tools

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J.D. For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Thanks, JD. Anything golden is off the table for me too. I will definitely make sure they're doing demi dye deposit only. I swear if anyone fucked up my hair after all this I'd just shave it and start buying wigs.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,229 Posts

I recently cut six or so inches off of my hair. Before, it was the length you say you want and loosely curled. I've dyed my hair dark brown (basically black) for years and it is naturally blonde. My main suggestions from my experience are to keep your hair hydrated (+1 for weekly conditioning masks) and to make sure that you do not frequently deposit dye on top of dye. I was dumb and let my friend do my hair for a long time. I probably had seven layers of dark dye on the last half-foot or so of my hair, which made the ends very dry and prone to looking crinkly if I put my hair up in a bun and then took it out later, while the rest of my hair remained in natural loose curls. If you really want your hair that long, you may also want to consider adding some lighter brown in it for dimension. I keep my roots dark and add lighter colors several inches down, sort of in an "ombre" style. It easier to keep up because you just put your base color dye on the roots and don't have to highlight that area after.

Also, keep in mind that the longer your hair becomes, the thinner layers make it look. I had some pretty basic layers in my hair from when I was going back to blonde when it was a little under my shoulders, but by the time it hit my hips, my ends looked very thin. Having your hair the same length makes it look fuller/healthier at more extreme lengths.

Final thought: how many times did you dye your hair? You may have good results with products like Rusk Elimin8, Color Oops!, or similar ones that shrink dye particles. Using these products will bring any dyed hair back to the color it was before being dyed. If you have bleached your hair before, depending on how many times you've dyed since, it may go back to that brassy orange bleach shade. The trick to getting the best results with these sorts of products is to rinse your hair for an eternity after using them. If you don't get all the dye particles out, then when you dye your hair again, even if it's a super light shade, the color will grab very dark.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuesdaymarie For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

^^ awesome advice and as far as how many times I've dyed it... Oof. Every 8-12 weeks since I was 13. This is my first time having virgin hair since I was 12.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 530 Posts

I know you may not care for home remedies..but I have a good one for repairing hair after dying. If you repair the hair after dying, you will NOT experience much breakage and it will help repair the damage. I had waist length hair but cut off about 4 in. I want my waist length back and fast, it is possible if you maintain your current routine of not washing as often, not heat styling and I know how u feel about conditioner washing, but it can be done without a smelly scalp lol.

Heres what I do and recommend: I low-poo or wash my hair with baking soda/acv rinses ONLY once a week. The next day after that, I always cowash with a MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER WITH NO PROTEINS. From there I do not co-wash as it seems to make my hair more oily. I do not co-wash as a means of washing period, i make my own low-poos diluting shampoo or use baking soda. I style and maintain that style for a few days, and the night before I know I am going to wash, I will do a deep moisture treatment with oil (evoo or castor oil) overnight, then wash it out with a mild low-poo, condition, etc and finish routine from there.

The only time I use proteins, is after I dye. Protein fills in all the little holes that dying etches into your hairshaft. My hair is low-porosity so I am protein sensitive, but I use it about once a month. Moisturizing treatments the rest of the time.

V05's tea therapy line has no proteins in it, most of the others do.

A good and organic protein treatment: EGG WHITES. I mix with a protein enriched shampoo, let sit for about 30 mins and RINSE. I would recommend letting the dye "set" before washing, then doing this protein treatment. If you are not comfy using raw eggs, try a mayo pack (yes it does work and contains alot of protein) After u do your protein treatment, rinse with ACV (apple cider vinegar) it will close the cuticle and make ur dye job last longer, and you will have the softest, shiniest hair ever!!!

You may also want to look into castor oil treatments/vagisil (yep you heard me right) or acv scalp treatments, once or twice a week. These all help with faster, fuller hair growth. Healthy scalp=healthy hair. I have never tried vagisil, but my castor oil I use in lashes, brows, and hair to promote nice, full growth and I have noticed a big improvement in growth.

Do you have low porosity or high porosity hair? Look up on how to do a porosity hair test online and do it. It will help you find out if you need proteins/moisuture or a balance of both. My low porosity hair requires more moisture then protein, I use proteins very sparingly. High porosity hair benefits more from the use of proteins on a weekly basis. If I used a protein treatment once a week like this and in the daily hair products I use, my hair would feel like HAY, fried even though it is not. It is very important to know your hair's porosity so you can find the right products that will benefit your hair.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    If you want to go brown, decide which "type" of brown. I use a level 3 red/violet based (3 RV) brown. I usually mix it with a 3 N (neutral). It doesn't look red or violet, it looks super dark brown, but really makes my eyes and tan stand out, much more than other level 3 browns. I hate the golden-y browns on me! There is neutral, warm, red based, and other types of brown that are all the same level of darkness. 3 is really dark, 2 is basically black.

I say ask for a demi permanent color. It's a deposit only, ammonia free dye that won't damage your hair at all. It washes out in a couple months or so, so you are not committed to the color. It does not permanently color your hair, it will 100% wash out eventually. If you want to dye it yourself, use a volume 10 developer with it, nothing higher. If you go for an appointment MAKE SURE they are NOT using permanent hair color on you! It will damage your hair, and you don't need it. Demi is perfect!
    TY
    I have always dyed my hair permenantly but I want to start doing demi. How long it usually takes demi to rinse out. I do not want to damage or torture my hair any longer, i ahve some previously dyed hair that is growing out and will eventually be cut off, and I am trying to find a more hair friendly way to dye. I have thought abut using henna/indigo as well.

Featured Member
    Thanks

My two tone is worse, but I need to give it time to recover from last dye that went awry I look like I have a BLACK ombre, light roots...not good lol.

Banned
    Thanks

I did it! Trimmed and dyed with a demi dye like JD suggested, and it came out great! Sorry for the toothpaste on my bathroom mirror. Fuck it's hard to take a picture of your own back.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,331 Times in 1,407 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Your hair looks great! I love the style and especially the color. My hair used to be cut like yours (the V shape in the back) and I miss it.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to sammii For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sneaky

the color is beautiful and your hair looks sooo thick and healthy!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to glitzy For This Useful Post: