+ Reply to Thread

Thread: easy on your body pain killers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 657 Posts
    My Mood
    Goofy

Default easy on your body pain killers

So I have a disorder that causes a lot of pain. The Doc prescribed a pain reliever (amitriptyline), and said to take an over the counter pain med if it gets to be too much.

For me, it's almost every day it's too much, so much so I can't move my shoulders or sleep. I've been taking Advil 2-3 times a day, 4-600 mg at a time. But that can harm you over the long term.

I'm not going to be able to see a dr for about a month, so I'm here to ask those who have knowledge in this area.

Does anyone know of pain meds that hurt you LESS over the long-term than ibprophen? Like is Acetominophen less harmful? Should I alternate between advil and tylenol?

Thanks!
    "You can close your eyes to reality but not to memories -Stainslaw J. Lec

Confuscius say: "Man who pull bra stap get bust in face"

Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,311 Posts
    My Mood
    Chatty

Default Re: easy on your body pain killers

Can you be more specifc about the type of pain you're experiencing? Different ones work in different ways; some are better for muscle soreness and other at better for sharp, shooting tooth pain etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,311 Posts
    My Mood
    Chatty

I just googled amitriptyline, and I see it's considered an Anti-Depressant? Is your pain - like, tight muslces and stuff?

In general, acetaminophen (Tylenol) seems to be the worst choice for a chronic pain problem. It does the most damage to your liver for the least "payout" in terms of pain control. Its only ever really helped me with an occasional, slight headache.

Asprin (Bayer) is another one that I find has little pain payout for the potential risks (not to mention it's hard on the stomach). If you have heart issues or problems with circulation it would be a good choice, but as you're young I very much doubt it's needed.

Ibuprofen (Advil, Mortrin, Motrin 800 for a stronger dose) is considered an NSAID Non-Steriodal Anti-Inflammatory drug) and it's a pretty big 'cure all' for general pain. Toothahces, headaches, muscle strains. Take it with food. Very low impact long term on your liver, kidneys and stomach lining because it really doesn't stay in your system long...and therein lies the downside. You have to take it every 6 hours, and I find it only REALLY works for half that time.

Naproxen (Midol, Alieve) I fucking LOVE this stuff TBH. It's a major Anti-Inflammartoy (yes, also a NSAID, but it works better than Ibuprofen). It takes away muscle soreness and cramping, and hits more radiating, sharper pain well too. Alieve 12-hour means that it really lasts all day (closer to 10 hours for me, but still impressive). There are cardiovascular risks associated with this one I think, you'll have to google it, but long term - this is what I use when I'm not taking perscription drugs. Not hard on my stomach at all, but when I take the Midol form...I kind of get drowsey for an hour.

It's not really a good idea to 'mix' your pain killers if you don't know what you're doing - even if they OTC. If you want to take say - Asprin and Alieve, make sure you take the Asprin first, wait 30 minutes, then take the Alieve. You want to space them out with a full stomach. But mixing shouldn't really be needed.

Hope this helps get you through until your appointment. Maybe the doctor can perscribe something more long term then like Celebrex or Naprosyn or something.

Feel better!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4everresolutions For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,713 Posts

Elavil huh? That stuff made me hear voices. I was prescribed it for Interstitial Cystitis back in 2001. Obviously it didn't work for me, but that isn't the point. I'm guessing fibromyalgia or shingles complications. For either of these, I'd go with Naproxen. You have to take less for the desired effect.

When you go back to the Dr maybe talk to them about imipramine. I switched to imipramine from Elavil and not only found it more effective, but it didn't make me feel crazy. How long have you been on the Elavil? You posted things have been emotional around your house etc lately, you think maybe the Elavil is affecting your moods negatively? It's actually pretty common.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy

I have rapid cycling bipolar, and the Dr knew that. I've been on it since October, and honestly I don't think it's adversely affecting my moods, but I haven't been monitoring them as I should...

At a low dose Elavil can be used for pain, at higher doses it's an anti-depressant and also used for anxiety. I'm on the second lowest dose-had to up it since it stopped working. Which it's doing, again.

I take it for myofascial pain in my shoulders. This SUCKS, btw. It's like constant cramping which causes headaches as well.

I guess I'll keep on the Advil til I run out (almost at the bottom of the bottle anyways), and then get some Aleve. When I get back to the doc I'll ask about imipramine.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy

Here's a link about myofascial pain syndrome:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/myo...ndrome/DS01042

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by papillonluvr View Post
    So I have a disorder that causes a lot of pain. The Doc prescribed a pain reliever (amitriptyline), and said to take an over the counter pain med if it gets to be too much.
    I've been prescribed amitriptyline for multiple sclerosis related pain. It made me foggy and confused; hard to explain but kinda like the world was on one side of a sheer veil and I was stuck on the other. I got off of it after 2 months (and I'm on other meds now) but I'm in for other recommendations I could suggest to my doctor to try.
    Toronto-based, very rough draft, constantly asking for input!

Our bodies, our rules.
    Stand together or fall apart.

Thanks

Weed.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy

LOL I smoked it in Colorado, but not here in Japan.

+ Reply to Thread