Thread: Miami dancers will be required to have permit in order to work by end of 2012

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 730 Posts

Default Miami dancers will be required to have permit in order to work by end of 2012

I went to work at a different club and was asked to bring my social security card which is odd since no club here (Miami) has ever asked me for it before. I asked why when I went in with it and the manager informed me that entertainers will now need a permit to work and will have to renew it every year, it will cost $112. This club in particular allowed 40 of its girls (the first 40 to bring in their SSC and worked 3+ days a week) and paid for their permit. Now I'm just curious how all the illegal immigrant girls are going to get by. I imagine the dives won't pick up and start doing this until they get raided or something? We will see.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 815 Posts

Default Re: Miami dancers will be required to have permit in order to work by end of 2012

Was that tootsies? As far as I know tootsies is the only club that requires ssc.. Doing this now seems a little early if it's not implemented til the end of the year..

Thanks
    Thanked 10,563 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

Default Re: Miami dancers will be required to have permit in order to work by end of 2012

there is already a legal requirement for every US business to verify the 'eligibility' of workers. This means proof of US citizenship ( US passport or social security card ), a 'green card', or a US state dep't issued work visa that is specific to the type of work ( which for exotic dancers is virtually impossible to obtain ). What's new is that the legal requirement is increasingly being checked by agencies of the US gov't ... with fines now being leveed on the businesses rather than the 'illegal' workers.

As to the local permit, this sounds like the city / county has passed a new dancer's ( business ) license law which is scheduled to take effect on the first of next year. If this is anything like dancer's ( business ) license laws in other jurisdictions, it will involve A. a check of legal work 'eligibility' using gov't databases, B. a criminal record check for past prostitution / theft / drug etc. charges, and C. a fairly stiff annual fee to benefit the local gov't coffers.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

I haven't been home in a while, the states, so what exactly is a permit? What does it do? Will ladies be on a payroll now? I don't understand what the purpose is.
    I am the naked hustle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 Times in 954 Posts
    My Mood
    Stressed

In some counties, you are required to either; have a business license or a permit issue by the sheriff and/or police department...or both (the business license AND the permit).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

What does it do? Does it mean that they can take your money from you?
    I am the naked hustle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,894 Times in 954 Posts
    My Mood
    Stressed

No. The purpose of the permit is to avoid being charge with indecent exposure. The license is for taxation purposes; you will file your taxes as a business entity.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

So you will have to show what you made on your taxes? Wait there is a permit and a license? I'm sorry, I'm so confused.
    I am the naked hustle

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

The 'stated purpose' of a city / county establishing laws that require exotic dancers to obtain dancer's licenses is to make sure that clubs are not allowed to hire dancers who have a past history of prostitution, drug use, theft, and other 'crimes'. This is basically a downscale version of the professional licenses required for nurses, massage therapists, accountants etc.

The 'stated purpose' of a city / county establishing laws that require exotic dancers to obtain an ( adult ) business license is to force the clubs to report 'payments' made to dancers to the gov't - which facilitates the collection of taxes due on those 'payments'.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by Melonie View Post
    The 'stated purpose' of a city / county establishing laws that require exotic dancers to obtain dancer's licenses is to make sure that clubs are not allowed to hire dancers who have a past history of prostitution, drug use, theft, and other 'crimes'. This is basically a downscale version of the professional licenses required for nurses, massage therapists, accountants etc.

The 'stated purpose' of a city / county establishing laws that require exotic dancers to obtain an ( adult ) business license is to force the clubs to report 'payments' made to dancers to the gov't - which facilitates the collection of taxes due on those 'payments'.
    Thank you!!! I see now! I do remember reading that if you had any charges like that you couldn't get one. So us dancers will not exactly be taxed.
    I am the naked hustle

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

^^^ well, where taxes are concerned, if the club is required to issue a report of dancer payments to the IRS and state tax agency as a result of the ( adult ) business license requirement, the IRS and state tax agency will expect that dancer to file a tax return and pay appropriate taxes ... and potentially come looking for that dancer if she does not !

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Wow times have really changed!
    I am the naked hustle

Featured Member
    Thanks

I asked the manager if it was for tax purposes, he said no. I asked if we were going to get any tax forms at the end of the year, he also said no. He said it was still up to us to report income/file taxes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to lokikola For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Was that tootsies? As far as I know tootsies is the only club that requires ssc.. Doing this now seems a little early if it's not implemented til the end of the year..

No not Tootsies I'll PM you the club

17. The Following User Says Thank You to lokikola For This Useful Post:

Thanks

i want to dance in miami but how long will it take to get a pemit?are they needed now?

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 815 Posts

I haven't heard about this yet.. I'll ask the owner of my club tonight when he comes in, he should have more info on this..

20. The Following User Says Thank You to crystalize For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Also if you know any good clubs I can work at I'm looking to come to miami yo dance for a few weeks every months I'm from cali ....thank u

Thanks

Weird, I assumed all jobs required showing an ID and a SS card at least.

As far as a work permit, this is really bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonie View Post
    The 'stated purpose' of a city / county establishing laws that require exotic dancers to obtain dancer's licenses is to make sure that clubs are not allowed to hire dancers who have a past history of prostitution, drug use, theft, and other 'crimes'.
    Wtf Miami. What exactly is the social benefit of excluding folks convicted of crimes from getting employment, seeing as how most crimes are committed for economic reasons, or as coping mechanisms for poverty (or at least correlated with it)?

The incarceration rate (percentage) in the US is the highest of any country in the world. Obviously slapping people with criminal records for stupid shit and then preventing them from then "reforming" and becoming "productive members of society" isn't working. It's almost like we WANT people who commit crimes to keep being "criminals" their whole lives or something...

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luna123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Also, I don't like the idea of dancers and other sex workers in socially-stigmatized professions having to register for a permit with the government. Seems invasive to me.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Luna123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

I don't like the idea of dancers and other sex workers in socially-stigmatized professions having to register for a permit with the government. Seems invasive to me.
    Absolutely agreed on this point. However, the US supreme court has ruled that strip clubs have negative 'secondary effects' on surrounding neighborhoods, thus local gov'ts have the right to regulate the operation of strip clubs based on their responsibilities to uphold public safety and public health. Within this scope, dancer's license laws are thus limited to checking for a past record of dancer 'criminal' activities that would have a potential direct bearing on club customers and neighbors, i.e. previous charges of prostitution, drugs, theft etc.

Weird, I assumed all jobs required showing an ID and a SS card at least.
    Legally speaking, all US businesses are now required to check the identity and legal work status of anyone they 'employ'. Hiring a person who is not legally allowed to work in the US ( citizen, green card permanent resident, or specific work visa ) can now result in large fines being imposed on the US business. Obviously, some US businesses are still willing to take a chance in this regard ... but these US businesses are also usually willing to take a chance on violating other laws as well i.e. prostitution, drugs etc.
    Last edited by Melonie; 03-27-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks

Has anyone worked at tootsies in miami lately? How has it been what is the house fee?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Daring

Can someone come back and tell us if Miami ever actually implemented the dancer's permit? I worked at 3 different Miami clubs in 2012, until October 2012, and wasn't told by mgmt about us having to get a permit. None other the other girls mentioned it either.

But, that was 10-years ago. I'd just like an update