+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is how to use the psychology of sales to your advantage in the clubs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,518 Times in 560 Posts
    My Mood
    Sick

Default This is how to use the psychology of sales to your advantage in the clubs

Hello ladies! I thought I'd make another how-to in the hustle hut because it seems like these threads aren't popping up as often (i.e. more girls asking questions than making how-to threads lately). I know when I started dancing I loved the how-to threads from veteran dancers, so here it goes:

Basic Sales Skills:
    • Emotion always wins in sales. A customer's emotional response to you takes precedent over everything else. You could be the most beautiful, educated, witty, and skilled dancer but a negative emotion will illicit a decline of your sale. An example of this would be you having a resemblance to someone he knows that incites a negative emotion (ex girlfriend, close relative) in the context of the situation. These impulsive emotional responses from customers are not controllable, which is why first impressions count. Your customer will likely decide if he will consider a dance from you before you finish your first sentence. If you can evoke a positive emotion and gain their trust then you will make the sale. In a perfect world, you want the customer to think with their emotions and primal impulses rather than logically (generally speaking), although this doesn't always happen.
    • Evaluate what service to offer the customer, when the timing is right, and which customer to approach. Don't offer the most expensive room to a truck driver passing through on a strict time table, or a discounted dance to the business professional in an Armani suit drinking fine champagne. Select your customer, size them up as best you can, and then decide by their body language/arrival time when your approach is appropriate.
    • Customers want to buy from you. People LOVE to be sold on something, but what they don't want is to be deceived or fooled into spending their money. Customers generally also dislike the hard-hitter car salesmen type tactics you see in infomercials. Remember occam's razor: "the simplest explanation is probably the best one". Keep your explanations of what you're offering to customers simple, and always avoid sounding robotic or scripted. Instead of thinking about "selling the customer a dance" think of it as "helping a customer get a dance". You can say that to yourself anytime you think of the word "sell". Instead you can say "I need to help three more customers get dances so I can make my goal tonight". Your 'pitch' could start as simply as "I'm really enjoying talking with you Peter, I'd like to help you have a memorable evening...".
    • The human race is always yearning for what they don't have. There is always something they wish they could improve causing dissatisfaction with their lives. Customers in strip clubs are probably either looking for attention, companionship, an experience, or stress relief. If you can present your dances as a solution to their issue then your closing rate will be high. Customers looking for attention may be dressed well, flashing money. Customers looking for companionship may be alone and appear awkward but eager to talk to you. Customers looking for an experience may be with friends, drinking, or celebrating something. Customers looking for stress relief may have a rigid posture and seem disinterested, aloof, or withdrawn (thinking to themselves).
    • People will spend more money on something if it is convenient or particular to that venue. Strip clubs have a great commodity in this sense, there's not many places you can watch multiple women dance naked, enjoy a beer, have great conversation, and get lap dances. Even legal brothels don't offer the same experience, their service focuses more on individual sexual services (or threesomes, orgies) than a party for everyone there at the same time. Since this is true, you should make a point to stress how unique strip clubs are (not so bluntly, of course). An example of this would be "Isn't this is so great that you are getting to watch naked women perform AND have a chance to have any one of them on your lap in private?". That will subtly remind the customer that he should make the most of his time with you because this type of fun is unique to strip clubs.
    • Customers make the final decision to buy based on truth and reason. A potential customer may really like the idea of getting a dance from you because it will put a stop to his loneliness, but if he can't justify it based on the truth then he won't buy. Your job is to create an illusion (a false/manufactured "world of truth") that convinces him that it IS logical to buy a dance with you. This concept touches on previous points: he has to have a positive emotional response to you, he has to trust you, he has to believe that he can justify his purchase later. If you understand what void he is searching to fill (attention, companionship, entertainment, or stress relief) then you can tailor your responses if he seems hesitant or needs more affirmation. To a customer looking for attention you could say "I bet your friends would be jealous you had the sexiest woman in the room naked on your lap". To a customer looking for companionship you could say "Wouldn't it feel so good to have some quality time with a beautiful woman?". To a customer looking for entertainment you could say "You won't find anything more exciting than a naked woman crawling all over you!". To a customer looking for stress relief you could say "There is nothing more soothing than being rubbed and caressed by a sensual, naked woman".
    • People tend to like the popular option; adaptation, acceptance, and a sense of belonging are what cause this. If customers see you getting tipped on stage by a lot of people, selling lap dances over and over to various people in the crowd, and appearing "in-demand", desired, or popular then they will want to join in. You've probably noticed that when you really get on a roll with selling dances back-to-back to new customers that you'll go on that way for a while. Some people call this phenomenon being a "super stripper" or "in the zone", but it's actually a combination of things. Supply and demand is important, if the demand for you is high but your time (supply) is limited because of repeat sales then people will waste less time contemplating getting a dance with you. It's sort of a psychology thing, sort of an opportunity thing, and sort of a sales skills thing all mixed together. To add to this point, if you aren't busy then try to appear busy. If you sit around too long on the floor and no one is interested then go in the dressing room for five to ten minutes to freshen up and create the illusion of demand.

This is a short list and I'm going to add more to this thread very soon.
    I hope this helps!
    -Laurisa
    If you are willing to do for one year what other's won't, you can spend a lifetime doing what other's cant.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sick

Default Re: This is how to use the psychology of sales to your advantage in the clubs

How to Build Instant Rapport and Gain Your Client's Trust:

-In order to make a sale your customer has to trust you, there is no arguing that. No one is going to buy anything from someone they believe is deceptive or has ill intentions, this is even true for illegal business--a criminal isn't going to pick up drugs from someone they think is lying to them about anything. So always remember that honesty is the best policy, but I'm going to clarify that for you. Honesty in a strip club does not exist to a point, in that the experience is a manufactured 'relationship' lasting a few minutes to a few hours with no expectation of continuance. It is a lie in and of itself based on what logic tells us, you are manufacturing an illusion of interest in a customer in exchange for money. Since this is true you have to be diligent about creating authenticity which can be done by giving special attention to the detail of your limited interaction with this person. In doing so, you will appear honest and genuine, therefore generating trust, respect, and rapport from your customer.

-To further elaborate on the above point: In a romantic/sexual relationship that progresses in a way that is considered socially "normal" there are 7 basic steps: 1.) Introduction, 2.) Friendly communication, 3.) Spending time getting to know one another, 4.) Acknowledging an exclusive dating relationship, 5.) Making a commitment (engagement, moving in together), 6.) Marriage, 7.) Sexual relations. We all know that many people skip these steps, mix them up, and don't marry everyone they date/sleep with but humor me for educational purposes.

-In a strip club setting you have a VERY limited window of time to decide what steps your manufactured relationship with your customer will see. I'll help paint the picture for you so you can visualize it in your mind. Consider your approach to the table your introduction to this relationship. Consider your introduction and initial one or two comments to the customer your friendly introduction. Consider your questions/responses that involve a dialogue between you and the customer your spending time to get to know one another. Consider the customer giving you a sincere compliment or buying you a drink to be acknowledging an exclusive dating relationship. Consider the customer verbally agreeing to a dance making a commitment. Consider walking back to the lap dance area holding hands marriage. Consider the actual lap dance sexual relations. Try to reflect on your past relationships and think about how you felt during each stage (regardless of the ultimate outcome). As you and your customer progress through this manufactured relationship you should reflect on the "seriousness" of the relationship and respond appropriately. This means getting friendlier and friendlier as you progress, which is simultaneously sending positive signals toward your manufactured boyfriend-for-the-minute. Remember that all sales situations are unique (because all customers are unique) so you may skip some steps if it's appropriate, just like any "relationship".

-Building on these concepts, I'll touch on rapport more directly rather than through abstract ideas. First I'm going to tell you some facts about rapport that you may or may not be aware of. First off, people get along with and respect/trust people who are similar to them. This is similar to how studies have shown men look for wives who are like their mothers if they had healthy, nurturing relationships. Familiarity and consistency is comforting to people. With that in mind, you may have a difficult time building rapport with a customer if you are naturally excitable, speak quickly, have a dry humor, and are outgoing and they are introverted and nervous. The great news about this is that you can easily evaluate your customer's personality type and adjust accordingly if you are conscious of this concept. When you approach someone you should always appear confident, but don't draw on any personality traits too strongly until you've identified the customer's personality traits. So, keep your initial introduction short and sweet so that you can quickly "change" your presentation after they respond. An example of this would be walking up, smiling, and saying "Hi, I'm Laurisa" while extending your hand. If they grasp your hand firmly then match them, but do not be dramatic or let this feel forced. If they touch your hand gently then remain soft in your embrace. There is some technique to this, but I can usually size up a customer's personality by how they look at me before I speak because I've always paid attention to these things.

-More on how to identify customer's personalities quickly: Men who are really outgoing will usually lean back quickly, make strong eye contact, and make a dramatic smile or hand gesture as soon as I appear. The more introverted customers tend to remain still, glance softly, and have a blank or nervous expression. As time goes on you should be able to spot their personality from a few feet away with about 30 seconds to a minute's worth of observation. Outgoing customers are usually at the tip rail or near the stage (near the action), talking to their friends, or scanning the room with their eyes looking for excitement. Introverted (shy, quieter, calmer) customers usually sit more still, are seated in calmer areas of the club (booths, back of the club, maybe the bar), and may glance at their watch/phone.

-Since you now understand how to identify a customer's personality type you now understand how to build rapport with them on the basis that like attracts like, and people buy from people they trust (who are also similar to them in some way). Manufacturing a similarity to build rapport and increase sales takes forethought and identification of your own personality type so you know what to tone down, what to emphasize, and with who.

-Common beliefs, interests, ideas, likes, and dislikes also build rapport in the same way similar personalities build rapport. Since psychology tells us that people are egotistical and self centered (which is an innate instinct of survival) it is highly likely you will find out at least one thing your customer likes or dislikes within a minute or two of meeting as long as there is an active dialogue (i.e. don't sit there and stare at the stage without saying a word). Since most men in strip clubs want their ego's stroked in one form or another there's an opportunity to manufacture a similarity (unless you actually can relate to what they are saying) which will build rapport. If a customer says "I had the worst day at work today, my boss made me work late and I missed the football game!" you could build rapport by manufacturing a similarity starting with something like "I completely understand" or "I can relate to that..." or "I know what that feels like". Don't just say the phrase and leave it alone, build on the idea. You could say "I had to work a day shift today because Bambi was sick so I had to miss the football game too" or "My boss asked me to stay an hour late last night because two girls were sick and had to leave early". The end result should sound something like this: "I know how that feels, last night my manager made me stay an hour late since two girls had to leave early". You don't have to provide too much detail (especially with a manufactured similarity) because "lies" are better kept short and sweet. It is important to note that positive similarities are more effective than negative ones, because they illicit a positive emotional response. Try to manufacture a similarity that is positive.

-Remember this about "manufacturing" stories and similarities to build rapport: People who are bad at telling (a.k.a selling) lies generally provide too much detail, seem nervous, speak quickly, fumble with words, fidget, and avert eye contact. Appear calm and fluid, concise in your speech, and don't elevate your speech, increase the speed, or twitch if you are manufacturing a story to gain a customer's trust. Another issue with too much detail is that you may forget everything you told them if they should recall your "story" later in the night (or another day) which could backfire and will ruin your rapport.

-Another useful tip about "manufacturing rapport" (because it is such an integral part of quick, effective sales/instant rapport): don't manufacture a similarity that could backfire if the customer challenges you. (i.e. don't claim to be an expert on something you aren't--like fluent in French when you only know ten words). If the customer is talking about something you absolutely cannot relate to/build on then ask them a question that will spark meaningful conversation. For instance, don't say "Is microbiology fun for you?". You should say something like "Can you tell me something most people don't know about microbiology?". This will build their ego (you are making them the authority on the topic) and give you a chance to build rapport based on what they say next. If they say "Microbiologists have to go to school for twelve years and pass a psychological screening to be licensed", you could say "I can relate to that, I'm an English major right now at xyz university and it feels like I've been in school for an eternity".

Once you've built an adequate rapport you can initiate the sales portion of your conversation based on what I mentioned earlier in the original post, but remember, you are HELPING them--not selling them.
    If you are willing to do for one year what other's won't, you can spend a lifetime doing what other's cant.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Default Re: This is how to use the psychology of sales to your advantage in the clubs

^Can I just say you're awesome?

I didn't realize how many of these things I unconsciously do! And some things that I dont, like if I can't relate to someone, asking more probing questions and "relating" to them somehow. Definitely going to use that!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine16 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Have you had professional sales training? This is an awesome read!!! Thank you for this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Wayward View Post
    I only get horny when I've tucked a few benjamins in my thong; it's a money fetish.."

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sick

I took strip and grow rich but other than that no.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Don't offer the most expensive room to a truck driver passing through on a strict time table
    This sort of flies in the face of the traditional never judge a customer.

Why would I not offer a luxury suite to someone that is just passing by?

Justify the cost.

Seen many a customer who say "I'm just here to watch" or "I'm leaving soon." stay and spend wads of cash.

That or the most unlikey of customers return week after week to spend on their favorite dancers.

The art of sales is selling ice to Eskimos.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripper Hacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sick

Stripper hacks, I thought I told you to block me. Now go write your nice thread about sales and we can talk.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laurisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Laurisa, please tell me why dancers should not entice customers to spend a little more and stay a little longer.

This is Hustle Hut right?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sick

Do yourself a favor, re read what I said. Then tell me if you are taking it out of context. Girls should not always offer the most expensive option. It wastes time and can turn customers off if you keep going down the list of services from.expensive to cheapest when they keep saying no. Also, someone on a lunch break or catching a flight has a time table, I was making the point that you should use common sense when upselling. Stay out of my threads, you annoy everyone with your back and forth nit picking.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laurisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,834 Posts

Just to bring things back on topic - thanks for posting this! I've pasted it into a note on my phone and am going to read it before every shift. It's all stuff I normally do, but you just wrote it very motivationally, so I think it'll serve as a good push before I hit the floor!

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shanna dior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have to agree with Stripper Hacks. Many times it has happened that my CR customers have come in dressed very casually while the guys who come in dressed to the 9s in suits etc dont spend a damn thing, hence dont judge the customer right off. Im not saying you have to offer casual-looking guys or guys on a schedule the most expensive CR, as Laurisa rightly says this can and does turn off some customers. But still try and sell them, just be wary about it. I get your point about guys on a schedule too, however..guys sometimes lie to us about this as an excuse for saying no to dances/CRs! Its happened that guys have said "o i have to leave right now
    " "i have to get back to work" or "i have a flight/meeting tomorrow morning early" but have then gone on to stay in the CR all night. They want convincing to live dangerously and go off their schedule lol....I had a great CR with a guy one night who was supposed to leave town early next morning but ended up extending his stay for a day to come back and see me.
    Its also happened that they said they had to leave cos of their timetable and then they ended up getting dances from other girls/staying way longer, meaning they used that as an excuse to say no to me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Faithy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Stay out of my threads,
    Stripper hacks, I thought I told you to block me. Now go write your nice thread about sales
    I don't appreciate being bossed around or being told what to do.

I'm just not sold on the idea that we should be leaving money on the table just because someone claims to be in a hurry, and I challenge the theory that has been recommended.

Not only is the trucker scenario a negotiation for money, it is now a negotiation for time.

They want convincing to live dangerously and go off their schedule lol....
    Exactly. (Nice work by the way Faithy for getting him to extend his stay.)

A customer is in a big hurry yet he has time to stop at a strip club. Okay.

In other words don't get hustled by customers.

(i.e. don't claim to be an expert on something you aren't--like fluent in French when you only know ten words).
    The best thing I've read all day.
    Last edited by Stripper Hacks; 04-06-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sick

Since you just don't get it I'll help you out.

Blocked. Now you can talk to yourself all you want.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Laurisa For This Useful Post:

Thanks

wtf is up with people always derailing your threads, Laurisa? At least you're actually posting useful and informative how-to threads.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to shanna dior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

God bless you Laurisa

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Shanna Dior if the thread is solid it's not going to get derailed.

I only challenged the one item that that I saw a flaw with.

My sales training did not start with being a dancer and sales 101 is this:

Never. Judge. Customers.

Some of the cheapest customers I know are millionaires. Some of the customers that I would never think to spend money save up and drop $500 plus every now and then or come back on a weekly basis and spend everything that didn't apply to living expenses and food.

Do not judge truckers on a time crunch.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Stripper Hacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Stripper Hacks, you're clearly missing the point of the thread and the useful advice within it.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanna dior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Uh. Please delete... My money is being taken by the strippers following this advice

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Chevious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sick

^^You aren't being serious about that right lol?

Thanks

Great posts Laurisa! Many thanks. I especially liked this:

Quote Originally Posted by Laurisa View Post
    [*]The human race is always yearning for what they don't have. There is always something they wish they could improve causing dissatisfaction with their lives. Customers in strip clubs are probably either looking for attention, companionship, an experience, or stress relief. If you can present your dances as a solution to their issue then your closing rate will be high. Customers looking for attention may be dressed well, flashing money. Customers looking for companionship may be alone and appear awkward but eager to talk to you. Customers looking for an experience may be with friends, drinking, or celebrating something. Customers looking for stress relief may have a rigid posture and seem disinterested, aloof, or withdrawn (thinking to themselves).
    This is a much better and easier way to look at costumers than trying to decide their type of personality! I am finding it really hard to read costumers personalities from far but this I can definitely do much easier! Very helpful. THANK YOU so much for taking the time to share your advice.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to cairalis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Flirty

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing Love the stuff about not alienating custies who are shy. I never really though about that..how we can come on strong and not even realize it because we do it all night but it can be really scary for a custie who isn't used to it lol

34. The Following User Says Thank You to ShayBaby For This Useful Post:

Thanks

no laurisa...love it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,282 Posts
    My Mood
    Sick

In regards to the sales options for different customers ie. trucker reference.. another technique to try is something like "vip is $x... (pause and read reaction)
    - if he freaks out - then give cheapest option
    - if he looks interested but hesitant - give some coaxing - "Its so much fun! VIP is my favourite..blah blah blah - flirt away
    - if he seems not interested but doesnt freak - suggest middle options

With this technique when he hears the cheaper option it seems much less scary and the customer almost feels like they have negotiated something less expensive. We used it all the time selling gym memberships - always go in with the highest possible price point (cause it might work) but if it doesnt make the customer feel like they are getting a special deal then by the lower price point.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,481 Times in 1,282 Posts
    My Mood
    Sick

PS I thought all this was very helpful and plan to re-read before work this week

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessie_tinydancer For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Awesome as always thank you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast