+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camming and Child Support

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Default Camming and Child Support

My son's father owes me hundreds of dollars in support, and it's well known that in my state, the child support agency cracks down hard on situations like these. I was looking up his public record and discovered that another one of his children's mothers (he has THREE others) is taking him to court for child support next month. This motivates me to follow suit. (I would have had to eventually, because he's not going to pay on his own in my opinion.)

The problem is that I printed out the form to apply for the state child support agency's services, and they want to know my occupation and income. I have no idea what to put down! They also want my social security number (I think it's required), so if I fib about my job, I don't know if they'll run a check on me and find out where I actually work. I haven't received my tax forms from SM yet (I started working there a few weeks ago and recently hit the $600 mark) if that's relevant at all.

What to do? Any info helps. Thanks ladies!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to moonjade6 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,653 Times in 3,153 Posts
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Camming and Child Support

Making recommendations actually involves knowing the answers to a few specific questions ...

- how does your son's father's income compare to the number of children he must potentially pay child support for ? If there are in fact four children involved, Alaska law limits the maximum amount of child support to 36% of your son's father's income ... of which you would potentially get 1/4th or 9%. If your son's father is earning $100,000+ per year, then 9%= $9000 per year is worth going after. However, if your son's father is only earning $40,000 per year, 9% = $3600 is far less motivating.

- how does your son's father view your custody arrangement ? While adult webcam work is 'legal', family courts often take a dim view of single mothers who cam because of the potential of exposing the child to 'adult' influences. If your son's father is currently living with one of the other three mothers, and one of his other children, from an economic standpoint it could make a whole lot of sense for him / them to attempt to gain full custody of your child ( and thus legally avoid having to pay child support to you ). Filing a child support claim will potentially open this 'Pandora's Box', and you would be potentially vulnerable due to the official documentation that you are now working in an 'adult' industry being provided as part of your filing.

- if you are in fact earning a significant amount of money per week from camming, a family court / your son's father's attorney can potentially access your bank records to actually see how much 'cash flow' exists ... and project your future income from this. The family court may in turn 'pro-rate' the amount of child support you receive from your son's father based on an argument of excessive burden on his income ( if trying to maintain a household with one of the other mothers ), or 'unfair' distribution of child support when the father's earnings PLUS the mother's earnings are added together in your own case as well as the other mothers.

- Also, if you and / or your son are currently receiving any sort of social welfare / medicaid benefits, officially documenting a $600 per week income level may jeopardize your future eligibility for these benefits as well. While this is likely to happen anyhow when your webcam host files a 1099 automatic income report next spring for your 2012 earnings, bringing it to the attention of the family court / state agencies as a result of your filing could cause this to happen much sooner.
    Last edited by Melonie; 04-15-2012 at 05:45 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Melonie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Thanks Melonie. I was hoping that you would be one of the responders!

To my knowledge, my son's father (from what he tells me) is unemployed, and working with a temp agency to try and find work. Oh, I'm actually in Wisconsin, not Alaska (AK is where I tell most of my clients I'm from).

Technically we have joint custody, but my son has never stayed or lived with his father--he barely even visits. To my knowledge, he is single and has visitation of his children. My baby's father has a tendency to be very secretive about his life, so I don't know about his other custody cases, or how often he sees his other children, or their mothers. I know that he has no desire to gain full custody of my son, especially with his situation (no job I think, and no car). And, he doesn't know what I do for a living.

At the moment I'm earning a few hundred a week on average (not quite $600), but I'm expecting my earnings to increase when I put my son in daycare next month (allowing me to work at least double the hours). Maybe it's a better idea to apply after I put him in daycare, so that I can tell the court that I only work when he's out of the house?

I'm on EBT and Badgercare (the state funded healthcare) currently, but once my earnings increase to a certain level, I don't plan to stay on these benefits. But from what you're saying, I've concluded that it might be best to wait until I'm a little more stable. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,653 Times in 3,153 Posts
    My Mood
    Hungover
    Blog Entries

^^^ if your son's father is currently unemployed, IMHO taking all of the 'disclosure' risks associated with filing a child support claim ... in hopes of receiving 9% of his $300 per week unemployment check or $27 ... definitely sounds like a 'losing' proposition.

I also hate to mention this on principle, but with a child's welfare at stake I probably should. The 'equivalent cash value' of BadgerCare + EBT 'food stamps' + other available social welfare benefits for you and your son can easily add up to $10,000 per year if you wind up having to pay for health insurance coverage out of pocket, having to pay full price for food, utility bills, day care etc. After some quick searching, in your situation the Wisconsin benefit eligibility limit on income is about $23,000 per year ( = $440 per week net income ). Since your webcam host is going to report this income, you face a potential dilemma. If you limit your camming so that your average earnings don't exceed $440 per week you can maintain eligibility for benefits. If however you increase your average earnings to say $600 per week, between the higher taxes due on that income plus having to pay for health care out of your own pocket plus having to pay full price for food, utilities etc. you could be WORSE off than if you had only worked enough to earn $440 per week !!!

This 'moral hazard' situation of earning $440 per week with benefit eligibility essentially equalling earning $750 per week without benefit eligibility, and with people earning something in between actually winding up 'worse off', is a pet peeve of mine. However, as this could have a major impact on you and your son, it's worth thinking about.
    Last edited by Melonie; 04-15-2012 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,054 Times in 3,300 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moonjade6 View Post
    My son's father owes me hundreds of dollars in support, and it's well known that in my state, the child support agency cracks down hard on situations like these. I was looking up his public record and discovered that another one of his children's mothers (he has THREE others) is taking him to court for child support next month. This motivates me to follow suit. (I would have had to eventually, because he's not going to pay on his own in my opinion.)

The problem is that I printed out the form to apply for the state child support agency's services, and they want to know my occupation and income. I have no idea what to put down! They also want my social security number (I think it's required), so if I fib about my job, I don't know if they'll run a check on me and find out where I actually work. I haven't received my tax forms from SM yet (I started working there a few weeks ago and recently hit the $600 mark) if that's relevant at all.

What to do? Any info helps. Thanks ladies!

As far as what to put down on the form, you can say 'self-employed', 'chatroom host' or 'model'. I'm not sure which would be better.

I'm finally getting child support from my out-of-state ex, and I've never mentioned the word 'camming' or 'cam girl' to any of the people over there in NY.

I wish you luck. *HUGS*

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,673 Times in 2,386 Posts

I would say something like affiliate marketing (and be sure you put out some links to your affiliate cammodels SM account on twitter, etc. It does add up when you get signups)!

I see no reason to elaborate on exactly what else you do. Nobody ever asked me what my responsibilities entailed when I worked in a hospital so I don't see it's any of their business. Just report your income correctly and pay your taxes and that should keep you out of hot water.

My favorite adult
    website host

~ affordable, reliable, fast

10. The Following User Says Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Melonie View Post
    ^^^ if your son's father is currently unemployed, IMHO taking all of the 'disclosure' risks associated with filing a child support claim ... in hopes of receiving 9% of his $300 per week unemployment check or $27 ... definitely sounds like a 'losing' proposition.

I also hate to mention this on principle, but with a child's welfare at stake I probably should. The 'equivalent cash value' of BadgerCare + EBT 'food stamps' + other available social welfare benefits for you and your son can easily add up to $10,000 per year if you wind up having to pay for health insurance coverage out of pocket, having to pay full price for food, utility bills, day care etc. After some quick searching, in your situation the Wisconsin benefit eligibility limit on income is about $23,000 per year ( = $440 per week net income ). Since your webcam host is going to report this income, you face a potential dilemma. If you limit your camming so that your average earnings don't exceed $440 per week you can maintain eligibility for benefits. If however you increase your average earnings to say $600 per week, between the higher taxes due on that income plus having to pay for health care out of your own pocket plus having to pay full price for food, utilities etc. you could be WORSE off than if you had only worked enough to earn $440 per week !!!

This 'moral hazard' situation of earning $440 per week with benefit eligibility essentially equalling earning $750 per week without benefit eligibility, and with people earning something in between actually winding up 'worse off', is a pet peeve of mine. However, as this could have a major impact on you and your son, it's worth thinking about.
    Thanks so much Melonie! I needed to know the exact earning ceiling I would have to hit before I was ineligible for the benefits I'm on. Like I said, I'm earning a few hundred/week having just started at the end of February. I believe I can live off the $440/week limit until I get settled in (I'm renting out a room for only $450/month, trying to save up money for an apartment this summer) and save up money, then I can end my benefits and shoot for the moon financially! lol

+ Reply to Thread