View Poll Results: What OS (operating system) do you use?

Voters
439. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows

360 82.00%
  • Mac

87 19.82%
  • Linux

17 3.87%
  • Other

2 0.46%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Camgirl's Guide to Computer Health

Thanks
    Thanked 1,281 Times in 319 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Default The Camgirl's Guide to Computer Health

This thread is currently ON HOLD due to Stripperweb glitches. There's too much code in these posts to re-write them every time I want to do a simple edit. Much of the information here is still completely valid.
    This thread is currently ON HOLD due to Stripperweb glitches. There's too much code in these posts to re-write them every time I want to do a simple edit. Much of the information here is still completely valid.

Ladies, as many of you know our computers are very important to us. They provide us with a means to clothe and feed ourselves and the ones we love. That’s why it is so important to take good care of your machine! A few simple steps taken once a week can keep your computer healthy, safe, and most importantly lag-free.

I'd like to keep this thread up to date with the most effective, free, and user-friendly maintenance tools, as well as instructions on how to keep your Compy running as smoothly as possible. All while written in a format that's easy to understand for the computer challenged.

I apologize if the thread seems Windows-biased at times (I myself am a Windows girl). I’m open to suggestions from users of other operating systems, of course!

Table of Contents:
    FAQ – Frequent Questions, Problems, and how to solve them
    But I already have Norton/Kaspersky/Some program that came with my PC!
    How do I remove my old antivirus, or a trial version that came pre-installed?
    I don’t know what’s taking up so much space on my hard drive! Is it a virus?
    I have a program that won’t completely uninstall.
    I installed one of the programs on this list, and it also installed ____! What gives?

Virus and Malware Protection
    Antivirus Programs
    Antivirus Removal Tools

Computer Maintenance Tools (and how to use them)
    Disk Defragging
    Cleaning Temp Files and Registry
    Space Management
    Neat Tools to Have
    Last edited by Decalyn; 11-21-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Default Frequent Questions, Problems, and how to solve them

FAQ – Frequent Questions, Problems, and how to solve them

But I already have Norton/Kaspersky/Some program that came with my PC!
    Many anti-virus programs shipped with store-bought computers are actually limited (or trial) versions of very expensive commercial products. However, they also aren’t very forward in telling you that – at first. As such, they may provide some basic level of protection, but any advanced features (in some cases, even the ability to remove a threat!) are usually disabled until you extend your license or buy the full program. Some pre-installed antivirus programs don’t prompt you to buy the full program until there is actually a problem, and by that point it’s a bit too late.
    Even if your version is listed as being the “FULL” version of the commercial product, paid antivirus programs and suites are a subscription-based service, usually paid yearly. Just because you have the full version now, doesn’t mean it won’t expire!

How do I remove my old antivirus, or a trial version that came pre-installed?
    To remove ANY antivirus program, you must often use a separate tool to completely remove the program’s components from your system. Simply uninstalling the program will not be sufficient. Each antivirus should have it’s own tool.
    As irritating as it may seem to have to download a separate program to uninstall your current antivirus, the reason for this is actually a security feature that helps to prevent viruses and malicious software from simply uninstalling your antivirus itself to get at your computer.
    Check out this post under “Removal Tools”.

I don’t know what’s taking up so much space on my hard drive! Is it a virus?
    It’s fairly simple to see what programs and directories are taking up the most space on your hard drive, without having to search through every folder for the large-sized culprit. Please see this post under “Space Management”.

I have a program that won’t completely uninstall.
    Many programs make certain changes to your computer and hide files away that aren’t always removed when the program is uninstalled – this is completely normal behavior. Check out this post under “Neat Tools to Have”.

I installed one of the programs on this list, and it also installed ____! What gives?
    All of the downloads linked to in this guide have been thoroughly researched by myself or another user who has experience with the product.
    ALWAYS read carefully when installing any program instead of blindly clicking “next”. Freeware is kept free by including external applications (addons) in the installer. Simply deselect these “offers” when they are presented in the installation process, or select an “advanced” or “custom” installation option so that you can choose not to install any addons, toolbars, or other such items.
    Last edited by Decalyn; 07-10-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Default Virus and Malware Protection

http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/sho...=1#post2375128

Virus and Malware Protection
    NOTE: You should only ever have ONE antivirus program actively protecting your computer at a time.
    ** When installing ANY antivirus, completely remove your previous antivirus using its removal tool if one is available! Google “____ removal tool” or check the manufacturer’s website! **

Let me start by saying this: The BEST virus and malware protection is YOU. If you practice safe browsing habits, you’re less likely to have something nasty installed on your computer.

Avast Free Antivirus

OS: Windows (2000, XP, Vista, 7) Mac (OS X 10.5.x, 10.6.x, 10.7.x), Linux (x86 platform only, with GLIBC version 2.1 or higher and pthreads libraries installed)
    Download Links: WINDOWS (Select the Free Antivirus option, first column) | MAC | LINUX

PROS: Avast is one of the best free antivirus suites currently available. It’s installation is quick and painless, it’s interface is clean and user-friendly, and (most importantly) it does an amazing job of keeping your computer safe with minimal memory usage.

It offers both scheduled and on-demand scans, as well as real-time protection. Scans are very quick compared to similar programs as well. A very VERY good feature is that unlike other antivirus programs it’s database updates in real-time.

What does that mean in English? It means that as the people over at Avast learn about viruses and how to combat them, they’ll give you (automatic) updates as they go. Other programs prompt you do do a database update once a day/week, leaving you potentially unprotected versus new threats for anywhere from a few hours to a few days.

There are many amazing features to go on about, but to keep it short I’ll leave you with one last: Shield toggling. If your live protection is getting in your way for any reason, you simply need to click the Avast icon and select to disable your shields for a few minutes, a few hours, or until your computer is restarted. You can turn them back on in the same way at any time.

CONS: Avast by default has a verbal sound effect whenever it updates or scans. Camgirls should remember to turn this feature OFF, or else you could be interrupted mid-show by a loud woman announcing that your virus definitions have been updated.

Note: When installing Avast Free Antivirus (or pretty much ANY free program), make sure you select “Custom Installation” to avoid installing any extras that may be included (such as desktop widgets and browser addons). Simply deselect any unwanted features and continue with the installation as normal. Remember, always read through your install screens instead of blindly clicking "next"!

Malwarebytes

Download Links: WINDOWS

PROS: Malwarebytes is a great supplement to your antivirus suite. It is one of the few exceptions to the “one antivirus-related program at once” rule. Because it is non-invasive, it can run scans without compromising the security of your already-installed antivirus program.

CONS: While a great supplement tool, I wouldn’t recommend using MWB on its own. As a tool it is too light, lacking many features in the free version. However it is still capable of catching things other programs can miss, so it is useful to have.

Antivirus Removal Tools
    While I will try to keep this list up-to-date, it is always best to go to your AV's manufacturer's website and download the removal tool for your specific version.

Avast
    Windows: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
    Mac: You may remove the Mac version through normal uninstall means
    Linux: There are two ways of installation on ubuntu: deb packages, or the tarball archive. For tarball archive way, uninstall using the mkinstall.sh script, with the -u switch. For deb package way, use standard package removal procedure in your package manager.
    Note: avast4 server depends on libavastengine, thus, you must remove the libavastengine first, then the avast4server.

AVG
    http://www.avg.com/ca-en/utilities

Microsoft Security Essentials
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2435760

Norton
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/nort...=english&ct=us
    Last edited by Decalyn; 08-07-2012 at 07:21 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Default Computer Maintenance Tools (and how to use them)

http://www.stripperweb.com/forum/sho...=1#post2375130

Computer Maintenance Tools (and how to use them)

Disc Defragmenting
    How often: Once a week, minimum.
    Why: Whether you have lots of files, or several very large ones, you may be surprised to know that your files aren’t always stored in one “chunk” of data. While they may appear all neat and tidy in their folders/directories, their actual locations around your hard disk vary. Some files are even split into multiple parts scattered around your system.

“Defragging” is the process of taking all these files and organizing them on your disk so that all the parts are in the same place. This can greatly improve the speed of your machine, depending on how fragmented it is already.

NOTE: Defragging and Macs
    Unlike Windows, Mac systems are built to keep your files in order and together as you access them. As such, defragmenting your Mac will usually do you very little good. If you have very little disc space remaining, or frequently work with files 20MB+ in size, your cheapest solution is to backup your data and reinstall your operating system before moving your files back.

Auslogics Disk Defrag
    http://www.auslogics.com/en/software...efrag/#details
    How-to: Using Auslogics is ridiculously easy. Simply open the program, select your hard drives, and then click the dropdown and select “Analyze”. In the grid you will see a color-coded visual representation of your drive, and how fragmented it is. After it analyzes, simply click “Defrag” and leave the program to do it’s work. You may want to leave your computer for a while, as depending on how fragmented your files are, the defrag process may take a while. On the bright side, the more frequently you run the program, the less work it will have to do, making the process much faster!

iDefrag (NOT FREE – ABOUT $30)
    http://www.coriolis-systems.com/iDefrag.php

If backup and reinstall is not an option, the cheapest option sadly is to purchase iDefrag. Programs that defrag Macs are so uncommon that there aren’t any free alternatives. iDefrag is the cheapest solution on the market that will defragment your Mac without the addition of a bunch of expensive, difficult-to-understand features you will likely never use.

Cleaning Temp Files and Registry
    How Often: Once a week, minimum.
    Why: In the day-to-day operations, a computer has to store a great amount of temporary data. Over time, these temporary files can add up, bogging down your system as it tries to sort through all the junk to find what it needs. Cleaning out these files is sort of like doing spring cleaning: Getting old crap out of the way so you can store new crap. It can also, depending on the program used, remove dead shortcuts.

CCleaner
    http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
    How-to (Cleaner): CCleaner may look slightly intimidating when you first open it, but it is very simple to use. In the “Cleaner” tab, simply select the checkboxes for items you would like to have cleaned out. Be careful, as the greyed-out boxes, while you can click them, are generally something you don’t want to clear out unless absolutely necessary (such as saved passwords).

Once you have selected the items you would like cleaned, click “Analyze” and CCleaner will check through the files for things that are useless or unneeded, junk files. Once it’s done analyzing, select “Run Cleaner” to clean them out. You may have to Analyze and Clean multiple times for CCleaner to find all the junk. The more frequently you run the program, the less work it will have to do, making the process much faster.

How-to (Registry): The same process as the cleaner, for the most part. All the boxes may be checked in the Registry tab before selecting “Scan for Issues”. CCleaner will scan through your registry for errors, unused extensions, and other such things. When it finishes, select “Fix Selected Issues”.

Ccleaner will ask you if you want to backup any changes it makes. This is not mandatory. The program will then start going through the list of errors and things to fix. You can either click through them one-by-one, or simply select “Fix All Selected Issues” to have it automatically fix everything.

As with the cleaner, you may have to Analyze and Fix several times to catch all the errors. This is normal.

Space Management
    The following tools display the contents of your hard drive in an easy-to-read visual format called a Treemap. It color-codes your files by folder, and the size of the box represents how large it is. This makes it easy to see exactly where all your disc space has gone to!

How-to: While different programs for different operating systems, WinDirStat, Disk Inventory X, and KDirStat are all essentially the same program in different packages. Simply start up the program, select the drive or area you would like it to look at, and then let it do it’s thing. It may take a while depending on the size of your drive and how much you have on it. Once it is done, it will display the Treemap, allowing you to see how much of your space is used by what folders, applications, and files. Simply mousing over a square on the map will tell you what file/folder it represents.

This is a great way to find out just what is taking up so much space on your computer!

WinDirStat
    http://windirstat.info/

Disk Inventory X
    http://www.derlien.com/

KDirStat
    http://kdirstat.sourceforge.net/

Neat Tools to Have
    These are some of the most handy tools I’ve come across on the world wide web. They have different uses that can be used to clean, optimize, and generally improve your computer’s performance.

If you know any awesome programs (that are user-friendly) you would like added to this list, just comment or PM me!

Revo Uninstaller
    http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html
    What is it? Revo Uninstaller is a program that, as the name implies, uninstalls things. It will first attempt to uninstall the program through any included uninstall tool, but after that it provides a check through your system and files for anything the installer has left behind!

How-to: After starting up Revo, it will load a list of everything you have installed on your computer (that it can detect). This may take a minute or two. Simply select the problem program, and click to uninstall it. You can then select to use only the included uninstaller, or to run a more thorough check for any files left behind. Click through the prompts (reading them first!) and you’re done!
    Last edited by Decalyn; 07-10-2012 at 06:37 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Default Change Log

Changelog

07/08/2012 10:23A Added Malwarebytes to the Antivirus list. Thanks to ThatOneGirl for the suggestion!
    Last edited by Decalyn; 08-07-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Changelog post :D
    The Camgirl's Guide to Computer Health!

Quote Originally Posted by EvelynHeartsYou View Post
    Go go gadget sympathy tips and niche fetishes!!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Decalyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 947 Posts
    My Mood
    Stressed

Default Re: The Camgirl's Guide to Computer Health

Thank you!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay12 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,933 Times in 1,856 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky

Quote Originally Posted by Decalyn View Post
    [CENTER]
    A note to the mods: This thread is intended specifically for Camming Connection. Our computers are our livelihood, and taking good care of them is just as important as some of the other topics featured in CC. Please be considerate and do not relocate this thread. Thanks.
    Ok, how about if I make it a sticky instead?

I state for the record that I've gotten much less overzealous about moving threads. I didn't even move the ones that should have been moved into the newbies subforum.

Re platforms. I have four different machines in my regular use. My mac that I use for every day stuff. The windows tower that I use for video editing and Second Life. The windows laptop that I use for camming and the Linux server that I use for backups and data storage (RAID 5 baby!).

I

Quote Originally Posted by Renton View Post
    Him: we could meet... im 5ft 9 sexy italian with a 8 inch love stick...imagine playing with me... how would you do it
    Me: I would cut off your dick and feed it to the pigs

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IsobelWren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

I wasn't expecting that. o.O Thankies, Isobel.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 717 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

This is probably going to save my laptop's life.
    (no joke, I have a laptop graveyard in my cam room closet).
    Thank you!!!!

[/FONT][/URL]

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissEgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by MissEgo View Post
    Thank you!!!!
    A laptop graveyard sounds... scary. D:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Decalyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 717 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

^ It's quite the sight, yeah. Bf won't let me near his computer, says I'll "kill it". :/

[/FONT][/URL]

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MissEgo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,249 Times in 1,351 Posts

Decalyn... You need to be told that you are a goddess and a scholar every day of your LIFE.

You are amazing. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your knowledge and your fantastic work and actually making it easy to understand!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Incantatious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,211 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Incantatious View Post
    Decalyn... You need to be told that you are a goddess and a scholar every day of your LIFE.

You are amazing. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your knowledge and your fantastic work and actually making it easy to understand!!!
    I concur with this! You are amazing Decalyn and we are very lucky to have you!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

@[email protected]

I... I was just trying to help.

*hides in the corner*

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Decalyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 254 Posts
    My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Decalyn View Post
    *hides in the corner*
    Nuh uh. Nope. Not allowing it. This is a fabulous thread, so you better come out here and take the credit for it

Thanks
    My Mood
    Goofy

Thank you decalyn! this worked like a charm! really sped things up. as they say Time = $$$
    i also agree with this being stickied. i am sure some of us are like me computer dorks..but not the kind that is actually good with computers. its good to know the basics of maintenance and this thread reminded me to defrag dis B!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,718 Times in 4,097 Posts
    My Mood
    Lurking

Decalyn, you truly made of amazing!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissEgo View Post
    Thank you!!!!
    Maybe we've now found the cure for our bouts of Computer Leprosy? LoL

Decalyn,
    I'm super excited about this thread, most of what here is basic (which is awesome) but I'd be awesome it it would expand a bit over time too :p our caming related tech info is so spread out its hard to find answers... oh and did you draw that main image? Cuz its super cute ;p

OK so this is probably above & beyond the scope of this post but figured I'd ask anyway. When my last hard drive was dying I cloned it using Acronis True Image (awesome program will copy EVERYTHING on your hard drive, programs and all) The only issue is the old Hardrive was tiny so when I copied the cloned hard drive image over the new hardrive it only formatted part of the drive. Later I formatted the second half into useable space. Currently the drive is in 2 partitions, one 116 GB and the other 582GB, i'm wondering if there is a safe way to move the partition (ie: even up the sides)
    Last edited by Mistress Anika; 07-13-2012 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Added a Question

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistress Anika For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Yes I did, lol.

What OS are you using? :p It's pretty easy to do on windows.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,339 Times in 1,931 Posts
    My Mood
    Hungover

This thread is AMAZING - just spraying some love on it

Quote Originally Posted by Procrasturbator View Post
    So how many stumps can you fit in your pussy?

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to roast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

I have an additional suggestion for malware removal. I use Avast (and it is FANTABULOUS at what it does), but I did end up with a couple of smaller things that Avast didn't pick up. I used Malwarebytes to clear them off. I've done the same thing with my in-laws' computer, and cleared off a couple of pieces of malware that were causing the PC to act all wonky.

(I hope it's okay for me to post this; I'm nowhere near as smart as Decalyn, who is a goddess among techs. w00t!)

I like the soulful sounds of explosions, romantic walks to the fridge,
    and sometimes making designers cry.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThatOneGirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

I actually have MWB myself! I don't know why I didn't add it. will do as soon as I'm on an actuall compy (is on my phone)

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

you are awesome!!thanks so much for making this!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 780 Posts

Thnx SOOOOOOOOO much Decalyn!!! i mean it! we have been needing a thread like this since forever. i wanted to add some stuff to the list too:

to check pc for proper RAM upgrades; http://www.crucial.com/index.aspx - this will tell you exactly what u need for ur pc when upgrading!

this is a MUST to go with the antiviruses; to be use along with malewarebytes and ur normal antivirus - http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSp...-10523889.html i got this from coolbreeze a while back and it has kept my pc great health

also to remind those just in case they dont know; updating drivers is a MUST. it is good to get a program that will do this for you. i use drivermax http://download.cnet.com/DriverMax/3...-10572602.html - the free version only lets you download up to 2 drivers per day. the pro version will do it all; i have the paid version which i paid $30 for the year. this is great to have cuz i constantly have to update my drivers.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubblegumbitch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,247 Times in 1,020 Posts
    My Mood
    Psychedelic

i always thought this thread was a "how to not fry your brains for being on the computer too long" lol

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JoJoX For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast