Page 135 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137 LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 3415

Thread: The Totally Random Thread...

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,686 Times in 1,520 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Default Re: The Totally Random Thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Rule View Post
    All very interesting.

That’s not the big one attached to the Moravian College is it? I pass by there all the time. That’s wide open and the FRS radios would have enough distance to cover the grounds, but might be subject to overpopulated bandwidth competing with it. FRS is pretty popular in those townhouse complex’s that border it, and the landscaping crews that work them.
    No, it’s not.

Anyhow, here’s an example I did up with Chirp.

94B3491C-5B32-4A02-9AF1-6D1DDE97B8E8.jpeg

So, slot 0 is set up in a pretty standard repeater configuration with a +5 offset, so you’d be receiving at 462.5500 and transmitting at 467.5500 with a DCS tone of D116N. Slot 1 is the talk about setting for that, and you can see the “S” in the column which says “skip”, which indicates that it’s not on the radio scan list. Unfortunately and unlike with commercial LMR radios, there isn’t a means to provide a DTMF key assignment for scan add/delete.

Slot 2 is set up for a repeater using split DCS tones (and also non-standard DCS octals). So, someone using a repeater capable blister pack radio like the Motorola MR-355R or a Midland GMRS radio wouldn’t be able to operate on that repeater, as they don’t have the capability to do split tones, inverted DCS tones, or DCS tones not found on the Motorola standardized list.

1F1BD808-6519-4000-8F2F-69AC55E6684F.jpeg
    65EAE51C-E04C-4828-A89A-F2E7FF941E90.jpeg

And then, of course slot 3 is set up as the corresponding talk around channel to that repeater.

Slot 4 is one way to set up a store-and-forward repeater, using CTCSS. You could also do it with DCS split tones, or you could use the same octal and go inverted either on the xmit or receive side… that’s where the DCS Polarity (“DCS Pol”) comes into play. NN means you’re using non-inverted tones on the xmit and receive, RR means you’re using inverted tones for both, RN would be inverted on the xmit side and non-inverted on the receive side, and NR would be non-inverted tone on the xmit and inverted tone on receive.

Then the last slot is just a dual simplex frequency in narrowband, as the mode is set to NFM (12.5 kHz) rather than wideband (25 kHz on these Chinese imports, rather than the 20 kHz medium band).

If you’re using just a single CTCSS tone, then you’d use the Tone option; ToneSql is for the receive side when you’re using split CTCSS tones. DTCS code for xmit and receive if you’re using single tone DCS, otherwise you’ll enter in a separate DCS octal for the receive side.

Cross mode is for when using split tones… DCS to DCS when using split octals, CTCSS to CTCSS when using split tones, and you could also cross DCS to CTCSS or vice versa.

Duplex, you have four options. + for half duplex with a positive offset, - for a negative offset, (None) for regular dual simplex, then you have Off, which you can use to set a receive only simplex frequency, e.g., if you wanted to program in National Weather Service frequencies.

Then, if you’re using an offset for a repeater, you put in the difference between the xmit and receive frequencies, unlike most commercial radio software, the BaoFeng software, etc., where you’ll put in the actual frequency. So, for your typical +5 offset, you’ll select + under the Duplex menu, then you’d put 005.0000 in the Offset menu. Which, +5 is typical in LMR and GMRS, but not so much in ham radio.

Then there’s your mode… FM for wideband, NFM for narrow band. The equestrian center uses an organizational GMRS license grandfathered in from 1984, so they can operate in wideband. My regular job uses UHF LMR frequencies, so those have to be narrow band, and now they’re considering going to DMR or NXDM digital. Personally, I think DMR is the better of the two. And more likely, especially if they expect us to buy our own radios.

I took screen shots of the menus for the radio features, but that’s all pretty self explanatory, and would already be familiar to you. More the same as what you’d get from commercial radio software, minus features such as DTMF keypad function, trunking capabilities, selective calling, etc. Even the Part 90 BaoFengs are still consumer radios… realistically, they’re slightly above toy grade. Which is why I cringe whenever I look on Amazon and see people inquire about using them in operations which requires Intrisically Safe radio equipment, or supposed firefighters who completely overlook or ignore NFPA 1802 requirements.
    Last edited by AChildOfBoredom; 09-01-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Life asked Death, “Death, why do people love me but hate you?”

Death responded, “Because you are a beautiful lie… and I am a painful truth”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,072 Times in 2,640 Posts

Last two nights were fantastic in the club. This industry is emphatically not dead.
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,687 Times in 771 Posts
    My Mood
    Crappy

Got my first haircut since the outbreak. I usually keep it very short and neat, so it was getting ridiculous. I've a small blemish on my hairline that's become more visible over the years and decided to take the opportunity to try a completely new hairstyle to conceal it. I was super apprehensive but it went pretty well. It also feels much better in the heat.

Still doing well on the benzo taper- very few withdrawal symptoms. Got reconnected with my psychiatrist, which was something else I'd been worrying about.

Got ambushed by two super-hyper but very friendly dogs while on my walk. It was great, but way too close to traffic.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

About time, hippie.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,508 Times in 1,358 Posts

They have open barbers here - I don't have to look like 2007 Britney Spears

3D4D571300000578-4232324-image-a-3_1487272198688.jpg

What I'm hoping for 2021
    3D4DB31C00000578-4232324-image-m-6_1487272240471.jpg
    Where Am I? The Beach

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,200 Times in 3,594 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

I'm really curious to see Chris Evan's accidental penis shot!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vyanka For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Taking charge of the equestrian center radio net just became much more of a pain in the ass. It’s always guys… aside from the barn manager, crew/barn leads, and riding instructors, everyone gets assigned a two-way radio that has 16 channels, is about 4” tall by 2” wide, and we buy them in bulk for less than $10/each. But of course the guys just need something more “badass” (and also be mindful that a few of them actually buy and wear those t-shirts from targeted Facebook ads, as well). So this one comes up to me with a BaoFeng UV-5R, asks me to program it, and tells me the woman who runs the equestrian center and program (also, my employer’s wife) said it was okay. So I take off the battery, look for the FCC ID and don’t see one, and I tell him I won’t do it because it’s not a legal transceiver outside of ham radio use (even if it did had an FCC ID, most have something like 2AJGM-UV5R, which is only Part 15 certification… that means it’s only legal legal for scanning and receiving outside of ham bands - never transmitting. It can be used in ham radio because ham radio doesn’t require certified equipment… you can even build your own transceiver, but you are responsible for ensuring it doesn’t cause interference).

So he complains to the equestrian center director, and now we’re locked in this back and forth over it. I am adamantly against the idea of letting equestrian center employees buy and use their own radios. She counters that we do it at my regular job. I counter that we also have to present the company who maintains our repeater network with the radio and FCC ID identifier and they have to give their blessing before we’re allowed to use it. She says, “why don’t we just have them do that with you, the ?”. I tell her I have a lot on my plate as is. She suggests that I just make a list of approved radios, and I tell her that would be just as much of a pain in the ass, as there are hundreds of LMR radios on the market, I’d need to look up specific FCC IDs to ensure the ones they bought had the correct band split, and, realistically, it’s the equestrian center… they’re not paying them the kind of money where they’ll be out buying $2,000+ Harris radios… they’re going to be looking at these cheap Chinese imported consumer radios, so BaoFeng, Zastone, Retevis, Radioddity, etc. So I would have to soft through hundreds of different radio models and aliases, figure out which ones have Part 90 or Part 95E acceptance, then seek out specific sellers who carry radios which have the FCC ID sticker on them (a legal requirement of the FCC for all services outside of Part 97, to include scanning and receiving under Part 15). So she asked if they really took it seriously and I told her the odds of getting caught may not be particularly high, but the FCC can impose fines of up to $25,000 per offense if they ever did roll through, and we’ve already been threatened with being reported to the FCC by GMRS users (even though what we’re doing is 100% legal*), so there is a chance of being audited by the FCC if they follow through with those threats. Then I asked her, keeping in mind that the equestrian program - who is the license holder for the radio service - is a nonprofit (whereas the facility itself is not), did she really want to roll those dice?

You’d think that would be the end up, but I’m gearing up for round two. This is a woman who has trained world class champions, including Olympic medalists. When it comes to anything pertaining to equestrianism, the equestrian program, or the equestrian center itself - even if it has nothing to do with actual equestrianism and is an area entirely out of her domain - she absolutely, positively HATES the idea of losing an argument to anyone she perceives as being subordinate to her (which I’m not but I sorta am).

I’m a radio hobbyist. I hold an individual GMRS license, a General class amateur radio license (which I’m hoping to upgrade to Amateur Extra by year’s end), and I’m a co-owner of a two-way radio communications business. So it’s perhaps not a stretch to say that I know one or two little things about this. But she’ll be hitting the books, hoping to find a “gotcha” somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,187 Times in 4,623 Posts
    My Mood
    Sad

Does anyone do vanilla streaming on here? If so, which apps are good for that? I plan on using it to advertise my vanilla business.

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Today is officially “Don’t Talk To Me Right Now” Day.

I can operate all manner of heavy equipment. Backhoe, front end loader, skid loader, excavator, scraper, telehandler, etc. Even the things I don’t have experience using operationally I at least can get it in and out of the shop, load it onto a trailer, etc.

Know what I apparently can’t handle? An old Montgomery Ward riding mower. I put it into second, let off the clutch, and right away this thing launches into a wheelie. By the time it came back down, it was too late to react, and I ended up smacking into a column… incidentally, right where the fire extinguisher was mounted. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a group of people collectively laugh so hard in my life.

You might say “nothing harmed but my pride” (and a fire extinguisher), but it was harmed really badly.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,639 Times in 2,583 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Thank God the lawn mower is unharmed.

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    Thank God the lawn mower is unharmed.
    You should’ve been there to act as a buffer between the mower and the extinguisher.

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

It appears the mower lucked out without my help.

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

There was paint transfer. You could’ve prevented that.

Featured Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AChildOfBoredom View Post

I can operate all manner of heavy equipment. Backhoe, front end loader, skid loader, excavator, scraper, telehandler, etc. Even the things I don’t have experience using operationally I at least can get it in and out of the shop, load it onto a trailer, etc.

Know what I apparently can’t handle? An old Montgomery Ward riding mower. I put it into second, let off the clutch, and right away this thing launches into a wheelie. By the time it came back down, it was too late to react, and I ended up smacking into a column… incidentally, right where the fire extinguisher was mounted. I don’t think I’ve ever heard a group of people collectively laugh so hard in my life.

You might say “nothing harmed but my pride” (and a fire extinguisher), but it was harmed really badly.
    Pics or it didn't happen! Preferably a video! ;-)
    Originally Posted by
    I don't know what it is about me that says "wife me up." Everyone wants to choke me or date me. Or both. This job is weird.

Originally Posted by Nocturnelle
    ... Kittens are assholes but they're just so darn cute.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CFMNH44 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Are you able to paint an extinguisher silhouette on the side of the tractor?

A-10-killed-Cow.jpg
    ED E’ SUBITO SERA

Ognuno sta solo sul cuor della terra
    trafitto da un raggio di sole:
    ed è subito sera

--Salvatore Quasimodo--

=============================

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maximvsv For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

The touch up painting will give you something to do in your spare time.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Somehow that got me to think of a Youtube clip..; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBJ__rcBGA0
    Fitness is not about being better than someone else - it's about being better than you used to be.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimbe For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by CFMNH44 View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen! Preferably a video! ;-)
    If I find out anyone took either and releases it, I’m chopping their fucking nuts off.

Quote Originally Posted by maximvsv View Post
    Are you able to paint an extinguisher silhouette on the side of the tractor?

A-10-killed-Cow.jpg
    No, I get a riding mower and a fire extinguisher. The policy here is, “you wreck it, you rock it”. So there’ll be decals for me to place on one of my toolboxes soon, I’m sure.

Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    The touch up painting will give you something to do in your spare time.
    I already have more important things to do, and plenty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbe View Post
    Somehow that got me to think of a Youtube clip..; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBJ__rcBGA0
    Having grown up on a farm,I can tell you, things like that happen more often then you think.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by kimbe View Post
    The only safe place to ride on a tractor is the drivers seat, (and on the older machines you are expected to pay attention) basic rule.

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

TIL…

my former roommate almost went into law enforcement. I’m glad he was able to be honest with himself and make the right decision about it

96AA6ABE-61AD-47C2-82B2-C9A1F1983B45.jpeg
    0167AE16-0AE5-4A85-B183-290730E264D9.jpeg

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,878 Times in 5,465 Posts

TIL…

my former roommate almost went into law enforcement. I’m glad he was able to be honest with himself and make the right decision about it

96AA6ABE-61AD-47C2-82B2-C9A1F1983B45.jpeg
    0167AE16-0AE5-4A85-B183-290730E264D9.jpeg
    Thank God he did that soul searching. Sadly we all know the "Wheeeee I get to beat people" crew are always too interested in being police.

(Side note- not all law enforcement is bad, I can admit that. The Catch 22 of that occupation is if most really thought about it before doing the career, they'd probably opt out.)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    Thank God he did that soul searching. Sadly we all know the "Wheeeee I get to beat people" crew are always too interested in being police.

(Side note- not all law enforcement is bad, I can admit that. The Catch 22 of that occupation is if most really thought about it before doing the career, they'd probably opt out.)
    I suppose a part of me is curious how it would’ve turned out. He never had that “macho” complex where he had to wear his veteran status on his sleeve, wear those “badass” t-shirts from targeted Facebook ads, etc. Then again, it’s also JCSO we’re talking about, and that probably wouldn’t have influenced him for the better.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to AChildOfBoredom For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Maybe we will get some rain from Beta.

We got about 4.25 inches
    Last edited by slowpoke; 09-23-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 15,187 Times in 4,623 Posts
    My Mood
    Sad

I've been having a bunch of bees and yellow jackets in my backyard, harassing us for our drinks(watermelon juice). I read something about them wanting sugar even more in autumn so I put some honey outside near the back fence where we don't hang out at. As soon as I put it out, a hummingbird went right to it. I watched the little guy swoop down for it and eat some and fly away. I'm not sure if those are supposed to have honey and that wasn't my intention to attract a hummingbird. That made my day though.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Maybe put up a feeder. Not all migrate.
    Last edited by slowpoke; 09-23-2020 at 08:24 PM.