Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Incredibly Detailed Guide to Computer Shopping

Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 407 Posts
    My Mood
    Twisted

Reminder The Incredibly Detailed Guide to Computer Shopping

I often see threads on here asking about if a laptop or desktop is good for camming. To make things easier, I wanted to start a thread about how to shop for computers, decide laptop vs. desktop, and the basics on desktop building.

The Specs
    I know how absolutely overwhelming the list of technical specs on any computer can be. I swear sometimes they just add extra information or split things up just to make a computer look more impressive.
    The things you really need to pay attention to are:
    Processor—brand, speed, cores, model
    You will find that sometimes they won’t list the exact model and generally this is done to keep you from looking up that model’s benchmarks online. If the model is listed, you can google the model name plus benchmark to find out how it compares to other processors.
    SM recommends an i5 bare minimum and an i7 for camming. Keep in mind that all processors of one line are not the same. There are lower end i7s that will not allow you to run the encoder properly and mid to low end i5s that will give you trouble too. Always check the benchmarks to see how it performs. A good rule of thumb is you want a processor with 4 cores MINIMUM (6 is better, 8 is GREAT) with a high ghz listed. (ex: a 1.9ghz processor will not be anywhere near as good as a 2.7ghz one, but be sure you check the model as some low end processors will have a high ghz but less cores and overall processing)
    AMD vs Intel. This is the eternal tech nerd debate. When building a computer, if budget is your concern, go with an 8 core AMD processor. If budget doesn’t matter, go with an i7 Intel processor. For laptops, most will have Intel. The best thing to do is just look up the benchmarks on whatever processor is in the computer, and see where it falls in the list as both AMD and Intel are compared in the same list. Overall, brand does matter.

RAM—current capacity, max capacity, is it upgradeable?
    4GB is the bare minimum for RAM, and you always want to be able to upgrade it. A system where you cannot upgrade the RAM will shorten the shelf life. For the best performance, I recommend 8gb of RAM. 16gb is excellent and well rounded. Many desktops can go up to 32gb of RAM, but you won’t need that unless you are seriously multitasking such as editing videos while camming or gaming.
    **Many Apple laptops now have the RAM soldered to the motherboard to prevent upgrades.

Hard Drive—capacity, cache
    Capacity—The bigger the better ESPECIALLY if you record your shows or make clips.
    Cache—This isn’t always listed for laptops, but basically this controls how fast your hard drive pulls the data you need. The higher the cache the better your hard drive will perform and the faster your programs will load.
    If you’re building or have a choice, I only recommend Western Digital or Seagate hard drives. WD has an amazing warranty exchange that is super easy if it breaks. Seagate also has great customer support. Both those brands have tiered hard drives to quality. Green/Blue are usually the low end. Black is usually the high end.
    Graphics—integrated/dedicated
    Since us girls are always camming/video editing/etc… I strongly advise against integrated graphics. A dedicated graphics card you can replace once it becomes outdated and it has its own memory to support the card as opposed to sharing RAM with the rest of the computer. Again, you can always search the model of the video card in google with the word benchmark to see how it performs.

USB ports—how many, what speed
    We use TONS of USB devices, so get a computer with an absolute bare minimum of 3 usb ports and preferably 4+.
    USB 3.0: this is a necessity and NOT an option in the camming world. USB 3.0 runs significantly faster than 2.0 and is best for tuner cards and webcams vs. 2.0. Make sure anything you’re buying has at least 1 USB 3.0 port. (PS: the usb 3.0 port is generally labeled on your computer. Apple’s new lightening connector is also very fast)

Things to consider while laptop shopping
    Size and weight: Ultrabooks are super lightweight and portable, but often have much less power than a comparably priced normal laptop. A good rule of thumb is the smaller you get the less power you have. 17” computers tend to have more dedicated graphics options available as well as 10 key (the number pad on the side).
    Who you’re buying from: If you aren’t buying from a reputable place, don’t even bother buying. You can shop online, but if you can’t find information on the store, or it isn’t in the US, RUN! The last thing you want is a laptop with no warranty and no way to return it if you have problems.
    Refurbished vs. New: New will have a longer manufacturers warranty in most cases, as many refurbished devices only come with 90 days. If the refurbished product is cheaper and has a 1 year warranty, go for it. If the refurbished is cheaper but has a 90 day warranty, it is up to you to risk it. If they're about the same price or close in price, GO NEW!

BRANDS!
    In an ideal world, specs are important and not so much the brand. In the real world shit breaks. Brand is important to an extent, as you want to make sure that your warranty is legitimate and you can get support if you need it. All brands have horror stories related to tech support, but it can be difficult to determine which are legitimate or idiots who like to scream if they don’t get their way. Most main brands (Apple, Dell, HP, ASUS, Lenovo, Sony) will have good tech support and honor their warranties. If you’ve never heard of the brand, google it. There are some scary brands out there surrounded by nothing but fail.

I will absolutely be adding more later, but this took a long time to type. Feel free to add info tech savvy girls, and I'll be happy to put it in the original post! Also, don't hesitate to ask any questions or ask me to add a topic you have questions about!
    Last edited by twistedprincess; 04-11-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Default Re: The Incredibly Detailed Guide to Computer Shopping

Laptop vs. Desktop

This is a common debate. If you move your camming area often, or just need portability you will end up with a laptop. However, be prepared to spend a decent chunk of change ($900+) to get a system that will perform as needed. With a tight bidget, desktop is the better way to go. You will also be able to get more power out of a quality desktop than you can out of a quality laptop. (It's hard to make high performing parts so tiny!)

If you are willing, building a desktop is the most cost effective way to have a computer that will last for years. I'll go more into how to build, parts checklists, etc... later. It isn't as hard as you might think at first and you will be able to tweak and upgrade it as technology advances.

Building your Own Computer
    It's not as scary as it seems.
    (If you are building a gaming PC and you have any questions I suggest PMing them to me or asking in the thread, as I'm not going to cover gaming builds in the overall guide)
    Building your own computer is the most cost effective way to get a pimped out computer for camming, gaming, or plain old ordinary use.
    When you're building a computer, be sure to factor in the cost of a mouse, keyboard, and monitor if you don't already have one. Also add an operating system and any software you want.

Core Components

Tower/Case Price $20-$200 (most people buy ones around $40-$75)
    When looking for a case, it is very easy to be overwhelmed by the kinds and colors. Keep in mind that there are so many cases in so many colors because people just like stuff that looks cool. Overall, there isn't much of a difference between most unless you're building a gaming PC.
    Things to look for:
    Size:They come in three main sizes: Micro, Mid, and Full. Most people are perfectly fine with Mid, but if you have very little space you may want to build with a Micro tower. Just be careful to check the measurements if you are getting a large video card to ensure it will fit. Full cases are mostly for hardcore gamers or computer users who pack their towers full with goodies.
    Fans: Most cases come with 1-3 fans. The more fans, the better the airflow. You can add more later, but it's a pain. 3 is my overall recommendation one on top, one on the front, and one on the back
    Brand:Brand is pretty lackluster for the cases. Check the reviews before you buy! I can personally recommend Cooler Master, Antec, ThermalTake, NZXT, and Rosewill. Rosewill happens to be my personal favorite just because they have amazing customer support, but they're all really good. Your case with come with your basic manual for building the computer.
    Is It Pretty I know function over form is important, but since you have so many choices all around the same price point, you might as well get one you like!

Before you move on to other parts, you're going to have to make a few decisions.
    Do you want an Intel or AMD processor?
    Intel always comes out with the latest and greatest first. That's just how it's always been. However, AMD is never far behind and is always cheaper. If you're budget conscious (or nerdy and like to overclock) I will always recommend AMD. If you have the extra money to spend, go Intel. (As a personal note, all of my systems run AMD but I don't want my opinion to be your deciding factor.)
    What peripherals do you want?
    Do you want a Blu-Ray player? A DVD Burner? If you use many SD card for cameras, do you want a card reader? Will you want a wireless card? If you're not sure now, remember part of the beauty of building yourself is that you can always add parts you want later. Just make sure that if you may want it, your motherboard can support it.

Motherboard $50-$200 (most $80-$100 will do the job) The motherboard is what makes everything work together and talk nicely. The first choice you have to make is Intel vs. AMD. If you get an AMD motherboard, an Intel processor will not work with it and vice versa. Once you've made that choice it is all about brand and function.
    Things to look for:
    Processor Socket Look only at motherboards that can socket your motherboard. If going AMD, you will want a motherboard with the AM3+ socket. Be sure to check your processor as it will always tell you what kind of socket it needs.
    Brand Asus and Gigabyte are my favorite all-around motherboard brands. They both have good tech support and make motherboards for both AMD and Intel. MSI and Biostar are my next choices.
    PCI Express 2.0, PCI Express, and PCI slots Alright, I know these sound similar, but they are very different. PCI Express 2.0 is mostly used for video cards, so be sure you get a motherboard with 1-2 PCI Express 2.0 slots. PCI Express and PCI slots are used for some peripherals so when you're looking at the bits of addons you may want (wireless card etc...) make sure you have enough slots for all the parts you may want to add.
    Ram Slots/Max Ram 4 slots. When you're getting budget motherboards, be sure to check the maximum RAM amount allowed in the specs. I always suggest max 32gb, so you have plenty of room to upgrade. Also, make sure it says DDR3 and Dual Channel (it would be really unlikely to find an old DDR2 motherboard, but just in case!)
    USB ports Make sure you have plenty of ports for your needs. Almost all motherboards have USB 3.0 ports available on the back, but if you got a case with USB 3.0 on the front panel, make sure you get a motherboard that has places to plug those in!
    Things you shouldn't worry about unless you're hardcode/gamer Overclocking and dual bios are things you won't have much need for in normal use. Onboard video is nice if you're feeling cheap, but for legitimate usage you're going to want a separate video card.

CPU/Processor http://www.cpubenchmark.net/ to compare processors
    No matter what brand, you want a high ghz, high core amount (4 core minimum), and high cache.
    You all know Intel i5 or i7, plus we already talked about it in the previous section, so I'm not going to rehash it here.
    AMD you're going to want the FX line for their newest processors. If you're going AMD you can easily afford the high end 6 core or 8 core processors. Just be sure to check the cache and ghz.

RAM
    Obviously you already know how much you need from before. When you're building though, there is a bit more to consider than just the amount.
    Make sure you're buying DDR3 to be compatible with your motherboard. DDR and DDR2 are still on the market for old systems, but all new ones should use DDR3.
    Speed avoid 1333 RAM, just trust me on that. You will want 1600 or 1866. There are higher speeds which are obviously faster, but again the average user won't need them.
    Timing The easiest way to explain this is the lower the number, the better.
    Latency Another thing where the lower the number is better
    Voltage Wait, you're in for a switcheroo! The higher the voltage, the better as it helps the RAM work faster.

Hard Drive $60-$150
    Brand The only hard drive brands I truly recommend are Western Digital and Seagate. Both have excellent support and are great products.
    RPMs Some green drives don't have RPMS listed as they're eco friendly and thus try to spin at less power consuming speeds. Overall, the higher the RPM the better the drive.
    Capacity Bigger the better, in my opinion. 500gb is the smallest I recommend. Usually it is only a pittance more to get 1TB
    Cache The cache stores data so it doesn't have to send the hard disc searching for every little thing. A bigger cache is nice, but not an absolute must

Solid State Drive(SSD): if you have the budget and want super fast load speeds, you can get a solid state drive to install your operating system and main programs on. SSDs do not have moving discs in them (hence the name solid), so the computer pulls the data faster. They're generally pricey and much smaller than normal HDDs, which is why most people only put long load time programs and the operating system on them. For example, adobe takes forever to load so I keep it on the SSD to make it open faster.

Video Card $50-$600 (most average cards are good for around $100-$150, for medium spec gaming or higher end video editing a $200-$300 card will be sufficient)
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/ to compare benchmarks
    Really look for a good promo and compare benchmarks. These are also something the reviews and warranty will be very important to check on.
    I prefer 2gb video cards, but for most things a 1gb video card is sufficient. If you want to game or improve in the future, video cards are super easy to upgrade.

Bluray/DVD/CD drive Just pick one and buy it, there really isn't too much to it unless you make a living burning DVDs. Bluray are obviously more expensive, but you can get a dvd/cd burner for about $16

Wireless Card If you're going to be hard wired you don't need this (and I always recommend hard wired). There are a lot of cheap ones, but this is not where you want to cut corners. Find one with good reviews.

Those are all your main parts. The rest is just extras.

As for building it, there are many really good tutorials. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw is part 1 of a short 3 part video series on it. They recently remade this, but their old one recommended smearing thermal paste for the processor. That is completely outdate and most people will be just fine with the thermal paste that is already on the processor. Basically, this is an excessive step you can completely ignore

One step you don't want to forget (and is covered in your handy dandy manual that came with your case) is the spacers for your motherboard. They screw in to the case, and your motherboard screws in the them to keep it from touching the actual case.

I swear it sounds way harder than it is

Buying the Parts
    If you're not in a rush, subscribe to www.newegg.com promo blast emails. They hit your email every couple days, but the promo codes and sales are well worth it. Grab a part here and there, and you can get all the parts you need and save a couple hundred.
    When shopping, I always find the parts I want at newegg and then price check with amazon.
    Last edited by twistedprincess; 01-08-2013 at 06:18 AM. Reason: lol called a processor a monitor ><

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Thank you so much for taking the time to type all that out for us! I have to say, I will use this guide when I take my new levono back lol

I have been researching, and although they are a bit more $$, the MSI (gaming computer) has a 2 year warranty on parts and - Labor is 2 years limited.. Not to many are like that

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxtinamariexx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,960 Times in 6,444 Posts

I NEEDED this exact thread since I plan on buying a laptop soon, so thank you so much for posting this!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by xxtinamariexx View Post
    Thank you so much for taking the time to type all that out for us! I have to say, I will use this guide when I take my new levono back lol

I have been researching, and although they are a bit more $$, the MSI (gaming computer) has a 2 year warranty on parts and - Labor is 2 years limited.. Not to many are like that
    My only concern about MSI is they have terrible customer service and the best warranty in the world doesn't help when no one will talk to you. I had problems with an MSI video card that failed and needed an exchange. It took almost a full month before they approved the RMA.

http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/MSI

They do have a longer warranty than many other companies though, and maybe they'll step up their customer service.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twistedprincess For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,153 Times in 3,294 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

For camming, I would just use the rule of thumb to buy a mid-range i7 windows laptop, unless you have an unlimited budget.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 580 Posts

Am I the only one who thought this would be a thread on how to shop, using your computer? Lol!

I was like, "how's this chick gonna tell me anything I don't already know about Gilt.com?!?"

:-) /threadjack
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarmouse0707 View Post
    What I DO have issues with, is that this was a couple of years ago And Judas is still in the freezer.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jessica1001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 781 Posts

thank you twisted. i was needing to know this exact info cuz i wanna build a custom of computer for camming. i also wanted to add that Toshiba is a really great brand as well. i have been using this brand since i started camming and it has been very dependable with little to no issues.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bubblegumbitch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,000 Posts

Wonderful! Thank you!!!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cool

Thank you very much Twistedprincess! And great timing for us as we were currently trying to figure out what new and better laptop to buy. We were still having quite some doubts concerning the graphics card and other technical stuff. Unfortunately we noticed that the nerds in the shops don't really understand much about camming requirements. So we basically gave up on asking them for advice.... This however is such a great help!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to SabrinaThomas For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member VoluptiousBriadda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 409 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

lol did I inspire this thread since I just posted all those questions?if so,im glad I did! this is PERFECT girl,and I honestly believe it should be a sticky!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasianBytch View Post

If you are ashamed of your body don't expect someone to pay to see it. If you can't act like your body is a treasure how DARE you charge people to see it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VoluptiousBriadda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by GlamourRouge View Post
    For camming, I would just use the rule of thumb to buy a mid-range i7 windows laptop, unless you have an unlimited budget.
    Yep

I hope to finish and add the section about building a computer today.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to twistedprincess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,019 Times in 11,356 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Bump!!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,658 Times in 728 Posts
    My Mood
    Bored

Quote Originally Posted by twistedprincess View Post
    Most main brands (Apple, Dell, HP, ASUS, Lenovo, Sony) will have good tech support and honor their warranties. If you’ve never heard of the brand, google it. There are some scary brands out there surrounded by nothing but fail.

Lenovo great tech support....when I used to have a Lenovo about 3 years ago I got a defective computer and it fried its own motherboard within like 2 months of me having...I called them up within 2 days they sent me a prepaid postage box to send back my computer in and in another 4 days the sent me a brand new computer...I also had issues with my charger after having it awhile longer and they did the same thing (sent me a box prepaid and then sent me a new charge asap)

....Asus support is HORRIBLE....do they even have support lol....About 6 months ago the charging port on my Asus gave out and I went through a circus trying to get them to receive my laptop and fix it....(it was still in the 6 month manufacture warranty.)
    First of all they wanted me to pack and pay for the postage...okay this may not seem like a big deal but it sort of is because every other company I've ever dealt with has...(Lenovo, HP, etc...) and its hard to find the right box/ packaging to sent a laptop in...plus expensive as hell with weight + insurance...(there is no way I was sending my computer to them as sketchy as they were being without insurance....all I needed was for them to say it was broken in shipping when it got there and they wouldn't replace it...)
    Anyways then they were unclear about how long it would take (5 days, a week, 2 weeks?) so I spent about a week trying to hunt down a supervisor on the phone (if you ask costumer support for a supervisor they tell you there isn't one present, finally they gave a number for a guy who never answered the phone and never responded to voicemail.)
    So...while my Asus was a good computer...I would never buy one again.

HP tech support I can vouch for...my mom had something go wrong with her computer..they overnighted her a box with prepaid overnight postage to send back then once they had her computer fixed it in a day and overnighted it back to her..

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missbeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm pretty sure my new one will be an i7 Lenovo laptop or i7 Toshiba laptop.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrownFox View Post
    I'm pretty sure my new one will be an i7 Lenovo laptop or i7 Toshiba laptop.
    I just bought a i7 Lenovo 2 days ago because my asus charge went dead from using it so much and I figured instead of spending $50 on a charger for it I'd rather just break down and finally upgrade(my asus only an i3 and everytime I would try to run a gold show and start getting 30+ ppl in my room the computer would freeze) ..so far so good lol..
    Best buy in my area actually had a really good deal on an i7 toshiba with a HUGE screen which I almost bought because of the screen size but I figured it might be to bulky for moving around during shows plus my boyfriend said the specs were slightly better on the Lenovo so I just decided on it...but it may have been worth giving up slightly better specs for the larger screen size I still don't know lol..
    The only thing I know for sure is I HATE windows 8...you have to use your email to set up the computer..very invasive...of course I set it up with ONLY my camming persona but the the night I got it I had it hooked up to my tv for music and shows during a party and my friends were like...that's not your email or your name *facepalm*... Lucky I just made up a story about making up a name and email to put in bc I hate how invasive windows 8 is and they bought it but jeez...Why did they have to make it so invasive.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missbeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah, I've read that A LOT of people hate Windows 8. Some people are saying that it sucks to use when you don't have one of those touchscreen computers. And wow about the touchscreen laptops that are out now...what will they think of next?

The reason I'm considering Lenovo is that I've been reading good things about it online (including this and the AC forum), and I've rented a Toshiba laptop before from Rent-A-Center and had a good experience with it.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

I just got a new laptop recently. My first one was the HP envy amd 10 processor with 6gbs of ram. Had it for one week. It kept freezing. Got stuck at the 15% mark for updates. I got it for $550 at bestbuy. It was an open box option. Took it back and got the HP envy i5 processor 6gbs of ram. Had that one for three days. Had the very same issues. Even though this one was straight out of the box. Went back to bestbuy and now have the Lenovo p500 I7 processor 8gbs of ram. For only $700. So far its been super fast. I would love to say this laptop is awesome except the touchpad goes haywire! Screen gets bigger and smaller. Sometimes it gets very sensitive and pages open up on my all the time. I have adjusted the specs for the mouse capabilities. It will work fine for awhile but then it goes crazy again. I contacted Lenovo for updated drivers and the customer support didnt have any info on this model? WTF? She said that "they were backed up on uploading info to their system and were working as fast as they could"

So Im going to take it back to bestbuy and have the Geeksquad work there magic on it. Maybe they can go into he bios and delete and install new drivers. Personally I dont like to go in and do stuff like that. Im afraid I may make it worse. As for windows 8, ugh not sure if this was a good time to by a new laptop. I really wish I had bought one a few months ago when the stores still had quad cores with win 7 on them. Too many compatibility issues! And bugs. So basically Im not sure if the issues I am having are hardware related or software related? Also I recently bought the bcc950 conference cam, but because its not completely supported for windows 8, it doesnt always work correctly. Crazy cam just came out this year and logitech has no patch for it? I have to reboot my system everytime I want to use it in correspondence with my logitech software to record content. One more thing that I will have to send back. IT works fine on my 3 year old gateway dual core. But thats not what I wanted it for. I wonder if the sony handicam works well with windows 8? I'd like to know before I spend anymore time buying and returning things. Grrrrr

Thanks

Here's my thoughts on the Windows 8 thing, and I want to know what you guys think.....

With how fast things in the world are changing and everything being upgraded and shit, aren't we all gonna have to eventually use Windows 8 anyway? There was this computer game I used to love called McKenzie & Co. (for teenaged girls), and I can't play it anymore because it was compatible back when Windows 95 was a big deal. Now we're in the Windows 7/Windows 8 era. I'm really NOT trying to spend money on a laptop, and then a year from now be pressured to buy a NEW one because of new stuff they came out with...lol.

I figure if we're gonna be dropping hundreds of dollars of a new computer, we might as well get the fastest processor that's out at the moment, which is why I'm getting an i7 computer. Windows 8 isn't sounding so great, but it's probably something we'll all just have to adjust to...since times keep on changing.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBrownFox For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Not exactly. Some people are still doing buisness with windows xp and vista. Windows 7 will be sufficient for many more years. It just depends on your own personal needs. As for windows 8 right now? I think it will be better in a few months, hopefully? After they've worked out all the issues. It was just rushed out for the holidays to compete with apple. I think computer manufacurers rushed out their products as well, without being fully compatible. In my experience its sometimes best to chill when it comes to getting the latest and greatest technology. When the ps3 first came out, I had one the very same day. Had to take it back a few days later. The same thing happened with the next one. Then I took that back. Waited a few months before I tried again. That time it worked out. In the meantime I just used my xbox. Same thing happens with when new Iphones come out. Google maps etc etc. Sometimes it takes awhile to get everyone involved on the same page.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pottymouth101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Pottymouth101 View Post
    Not exactly. Some people are still doing buisness with windows xp and vista. Windows 7 will be sufficient for many more years. It just depends on your own personal needs. As for windows 8 right now? I think it will be better in a few months, hopefully? After they've worked out all the issues. It was just rushed out for the holidays to compete with apple. I think computer manufacurers rushed out their products as well, without being fully compatible. In my experience its sometimes best to chill when it comes to getting the latest and greatest technology. When the ps3 first came out, I had one the very same day. Had to take it back a few days later. The same thing happened with the next one. Then I took that back. Waited a few months before I tried again. That time it worked out. In the meantime I just used my xbox. Same thing happens with when new Iphones come out. Google maps etc etc. Sometimes it takes awhile to get everyone involved on the same page.
    I highly highly recommend anyone using Windows XP plan on replacing their computer in the near future. Microsoft has already announced that they will be removing support and security patches from it April 08, 2014. This means that they're going to fix less and less with it until they just stop. Vista is just painful with how much RAM it uses. Overall companies rush things out, because they know that 1) people will buy it and 2) it's easier to fix what breaks than it is to lose money waiting to release it.

PS: I am at this exact moment writing the guide to building a computer. I slacked but I swear I'm actually writing it now.
    PPS: Windows 8 is just fine as long as you aren't afraid of change and are welcome to adjusting it. If you don't like the metro home screen, there are several free plugins that will replace it with the normal start menu and desktop of old. Judging by the fact that they are just now ending support for WinXP, Win7 will last people for quite a long time before they pull it. The main reason to move from older OS to newer OS is the ability to have more ram, newer parts, etc... but all 7 to 8 really changed parts compatibility wise is the sync between SSD and HDD

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twistedprincess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Bored

I don't mind windows 8 functionality wise and Aestitically the only thing that bothers me is you MUST enter an email and name to set up your computer...then it tries to sync facebook and everything sort of like how you need an email to activate an android...not very convenient with trying to keep your camming and personal life separate.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Missbeth For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member VoluptiousBriadda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 409 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

I REALLY envy all the techie ladies here,I give yall ALL the handclaps! We just got through with the holidays Twisted, no one can blame you for "slackin" on the "how to build a computer" addition youre working on!I know theres probably a lot of other ladies just like me who are just grateful for what you and everyone else have posted so far!

Tax season is now here,and while some ladies are going to have to pay in,others will be getting a refund back due to other non camming variables.I am HOPING BEYOND HOPE that I am one of those ladies,and Im gonna be finding out asap.When we get our refund (hopefully,please lord if ya can hear me..)Im going to use it to buy a top of the line computer (or build one myself IF I can possibly manage to do it without fucking it up) and Im gonna be relying on this threads info like a mofo! Just fair warning guys lol! Everything you've already written is going to help me TREMENDOUSLY,so thank you thank you thank you maam!

I haz a feeling this thread will be getting purdy popular real soon for refund reasons alone,i vote for it to be a sticky! As much as Id love to be,not all of us are computer geniuses and with our computers being the very center of our camming career's existence, it really is imperative that we and all future members know all of the buying/building information on this thread,at the very least.

Im slowly getting more computer savvy as I continue camming,hopefully one day Ill finally learn enough to be a 'puter geek too!And here I was, thinking I actually knew something,being from one of the very first technological generations to start implementing computer classes/knowledge by first grade lol Typing words per min? The speed of light! Proficient in Excel,Powerpoint,Word,etc? CHECK! Hell im preparing to show my PP presentation on camming as we speak lol ;P . Mad Oregon Trail skillz? I destroy all challengers! But ask me anything technical about computers at all and im like " uuum...oh, yea yea yea! I totally know what to do! Thats so EASY,all we have to do is!...google...that...and then call Geek Squad after multiple unsuccessful attempts..." lol FAIL.
    Youre saving lives maam,countless precious "why wont this mouse work?! Its plugged in,under my desk and Im stepping on it like a sewing pedal, like you're s'posed to!" lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlasianBytch View Post

If you are ashamed of your body don't expect someone to pay to see it. If you can't act like your body is a treasure how DARE you charge people to see it.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VoluptiousBriadda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 22,019 Times in 11,356 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Thanks so much for this update!^ I have Vista, & despise it!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by VoluptiousBriadda View Post
    I REALLY envy all the techie ladies here,I give yall ALL the handclaps! We just got through with the holidays Twisted, no one can blame you for "slackin" on the "how to build a computer" addition youre working on!I know theres probably a lot of other ladies just like me who are just grateful for what you and everyone else have posted so far!

Tax season is now here,and while some ladies are going to have to pay in,others will be getting a refund back due to other non camming variables.I am HOPING BEYOND HOPE that I am one of those ladies,and Im gonna be finding out asap.When we get our refund (hopefully,please lord if ya can hear me..)Im going to use it to buy a top of the line computer (or build one myself IF I can possibly manage to do it without fucking it up) and Im gonna be relying on this threads info like a mofo! Just fair warning guys lol! Everything you've already written is going to help me TREMENDOUSLY,so thank you thank you thank you maam!

I haz a feeling this thread will be getting purdy popular real soon for refund reasons alone,i vote for it to be a sticky! As much as Id love to be,not all of us are computer geniuses and with our computers being the very center of our camming career's existence, it really is imperative that we and all future members know all of the buying/building information on this thread,at the very least.

Im slowly getting more computer savvy as I continue camming,hopefully one day Ill finally learn enough to be a 'puter geek too!And here I was, thinking I actually knew something,being from one of the very first technological generations to start implementing computer classes/knowledge by first grade lol Typing words per min? The speed of light! Proficient in Excel,Powerpoint,Word,etc? CHECK! Hell im preparing to show my PP presentation on camming as we speak lol ;P . Mad Oregon Trail skillz? I destroy all challengers! But ask me anything technical about computers at all and im like " uuum...oh, yea yea yea! I totally know what to do! Thats so EASY,all we have to do is!...google...that...and then call Geek Squad after multiple unsuccessful attempts..." lol FAIL.
    Youre saving lives maam,countless precious "why wont this mouse work?! Its plugged in,under my desk and Im stepping on it like a sewing pedal, like you're s'posed to!" lives!
    What!?!^^^ Girl I bet you could turn a five minute camshow into a twenty minute ordeal! I suspect your lack of knowledge in the tech world is utilized elsewhere.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pottymouth101 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast