Thread: Do you celebrate holidays/traditions or believe in religious/consumerist holidays?

Thanks
    My Mood
    Relaxed

Question Do you celebrate holidays/traditions or believe in religious/consumerist holidays?

nevermindx
    Last edited by livefast; 04-01-2013 at 01:50 PM.
    Many of the obstacles you once imagined are not even there.

Thanks
    Thanked 21,301 Times in 11,010 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Default Re: Do you celebrate holidays/traditions or believe in religious/consumerist holidays

I don't really, I have a somewhat religious outlook though. I don't like the overkill on mentioning them either

3. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,043 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused

Default Re: Do you celebrate holidays/traditions or believe in religious/consumerist holidays

Quote Originally Posted by whirlerz View Post
    I don't really, I have a somewhat religious outlook though. I don't like the overkill on mentioning them either
    Now wear these here bunny ears and snuggle.....

Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 3,228 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheeky

i love holidays, there's always something to celebrate i don't like thanksgiving or christmas though, they have gotten waayyy too commercialized and just killed it for me. i like valentines day and halloween the most, not big huge religious holidays just the little ones im not religious (christian/jewish/muslim) at all, so don't really celebrate them since most of them come from pagan celebrations anyways !! it would be cool to really celebrate them like they were meant to be

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,058 Times in 2,813 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

I have kids, so yes we do Christmas, Easter and Halloween. I don't over do it though. The most you'll see in terms of decorations for the Holiday is a Christmas tree.
    My fiance and my Anniversary is the week of valentines so we just celebrate that by going out and doing something nice together. Even Easter was pretty low key. I didn't thaw the turkey early enough and it wasn't ready to bake yesterday, but my folks and brother and sister came over for a late lunch and coffee and then took off and we spent the rest of the day hanging out at home. It was really nice. The kids got some chocolates from the grandparents and Easter bunny only brings toys and activities in my house. No sweets pls!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Twisted

I'd say yes to both questions in that I take some pause to celebrate the true meaning of whatever holiday happens to be. My perceptions/attitudes have changed since childhood in that several holidays have evolved from a joyous magical time where holidays meant getting out of school, getting presents, wonderful feasts with family, etc.

As time, and the realities of workplace sank in, I came to dread the commercialized buildup leading to the holiday itself, with attendant increased workload, and to do lists that never seemed to shrink. So glad when all the hoopla was over.

Christmas and Thanksgiving are the more intense holidays. I've personally come to like Memorial Day , Labor Day, and that ~ 2/5 of time when 4th of July falls on a Fri., Sat., Sun., or Mon. Have to love those long weekends. Memorial Day beckons next.
    Last edited by minnow; 04-01-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: corr
    I'm right 96% of the time. I don't sweat the other 5% .......................

9. The Following User Says Thank You to minnow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,205 Times in 799 Posts
    My Mood
    Mellow

I like holidays. Christmas is one of my favorites. I'm not religious but I do love Christmas. Of course now that I'm older I've recognized the reality of Christmas, but I still feel a sense of 'magic' - the Christmas lights, the cheery nature of the holiday, and spending the day with family and the night with close friends. Me and my best friends have created a tradition where we meet at my place after we've all spent the day with our families, and we do our own gift exchange and drink seasonal alcoholic beverages. Last Christmas I even went out and bought a little tree for my apartment and my best friends and I wrapped presents for each other and put them under the tree - we had tons!

Since I've started dancing it's been great to have lots of extra cash on the holidays because I'm able to totally splurge on my family and friends. Another thing I love about the more traditional holidays is that I get to go to family gatherings and pig out on delicious food

I like plenty of other holidays. Halloween is awesome, fourth of July is fun... but Christmas is my favorite. Plus money tends to be good around December.
    "Rather have my feet hurting than my pockets."