Thread: Good stretches for in between work days?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,493 Times in 3,625 Posts

Default Good stretches for in between work days?

Okay so, I chose this line of work because I have a hectic schedule, in between school and volunteer work and pre-med studying. Needless to say, there are plenty of times when I don't go into work for a week at a time, like if I've got 3 exams the same week or something. However, I often have a full week of no exams and some cancelled classes, and I'd like to take full advantage and work 3 days in a row whenever this happens.

Whenever I go in after more than a couple days, the next day my hamstrings and abs are stiff. Like, so stiff that I can't just stretch them out and go to work, I would be mincing around the floor if I did. This prevents me from going back the next night, so it fucks up the working-all-weekend plan. I'm fine if I do one day on, two days off, but this is pretty inconvenient to schedule... I'd rather work in chunks of time...
    I've tried stretching before work but it's not seeming to do much for the next day.
    Is this a lack of stretching the muscles issue, or is it overexertion and my muscles not being beefy enough to take it? And does anyone have any stretches or exercises they would suggest that I can do on days off? Quicker stuff I can do at home would be best.

Thanks all
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Thanks
    Thanked 1,533 Times in 553 Posts

Default Re: Good stretches for in between work days?

Yoga. You can do it at home, but I suggest finding a studio and taking classes from a few different instructors to find one with whom you click. Stretching can be incredibly boring for a Type-A personality, and from your post it sounds like a structured break from everything you have going on will be a huge benefit.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chloemay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 18,670 Times in 6,079 Posts

The ab issue doesn't raise any red flags to me, but the hamstring pain does. I recently overstretched my hamstring (self-diagnosed as a "grade one" hamstring pull), and it's taking forever to heal. I still walk normally and everything...but after it first happened, I had problems reaching down to pick something up without bending my leg, and I still can't do the splits like I could a few months ago. I've been doing near-daily yoga and also rolling it with a foam roller to rehabilitate myself. Scar tissue can form if you have an injury that doesn't get treated, so I'd take this moderately seriously if it's affecting your gait.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sp...mstring-strain

Can you isolate any activities that are causing these issues for you? Could you tone down your stage show? I used to put WAY too much effort into my stage shows...it's often wasted effort. Go for sloooooooow, sexy, and sensual. Try to figure out what actions are causing the pain and then find other things to do in place of those movements.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,493 Times in 3,625 Posts

I am totally a type-A personality, how'd you know? I've done yoga before and it's hit or miss; some days my brain just WILL NOT SHUT OFF and it makes me twitchy to sit still... other times if I sit in a position long enough, I'll get a very light doze out of it and wake up feeling totally calm and refreshed. Maybe I should try an actual class for a bit and see if I can train myself to turn off the brain.

Charlie, I did tone the stage show down and it helped, but I still get the stiff feeling. I think the issues are from the "no grinding" and "switch positions every 15 seconds" rule at my club; I have to perch on my knees on top of the customer and hold myself up, and most "acceptable" dance positions require more exertion than I used at my old club... it's either the hams or arms that are going to be holding you just off the customer's lap. It sucks and I'm trying to find positions that don't hurt me but still comply with management.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post
    I am totally a type-A personality, how'd you know? I've done yoga before and it's hit or miss; some days my brain just WILL NOT SHUT OFF and it makes me twitchy to sit still... other times if I sit in a position long enough, I'll get a very light doze out of it and wake up feeling totally calm and refreshed. Maybe I should try an actual class for a bit and see if I can train myself to turn off the brain.

Charlie, I did tone the stage show down and it helped, but I still get the stiff feeling. I think the issues are from the "no grinding" and "switch positions every 15 seconds" rule at my club; I have to perch on my knees on top of the customer and hold myself up, and most "acceptable" dance positions require more exertion than I used at my old club... it's either the hams or arms that are going to be holding you just off the customer's lap. It sucks and I'm trying to find positions that don't hurt me but still comply with management.
    It's funny you mention it. I used to take classes, which was nice because I learned a bunch of different poses that I could then use on my own time. I now do a kind of yoga that's not exactly by-the-book. I switch positions when I get bored. I'll often return to the same positions repeatedly throughout the session, but I switch things up fairly rapidly (no more than a minute in each pose). Furthermore, I combine yoga with stretching. I basically just do what feels good - I try to find muscles/tendons that need to be stretched, and then I find a position that works to stretch them. It keeps me interested and also does more for my tight muscles than just sitting cross-legged chanting "ohm".

Another thing that helps is to have your laptop on the floor with you while you stretch - put on a show or movie that you like (do you have Netflix?) and then spend a good hour stretching. Seriously, just come up with poses that feel good to you and stretch what needs to be stretched. Do it intuitively. Poses are nice, but you don't need them just to have a good stretching session!

Keep in mind, there are definitely some more intense poses in yoga, but a lot of yoga is literally just stretching. You may try to find a "Yin" style yoga video on Netflix or Youtube - Yin is a stretching-based form of yoga. But literally one of the poses is just to sit on your butt and reach for your feet. So don't be intimidated by the whole "yoga" thing. Yoga has some cool tricks to stretch muscles that are harder to find, but it's also just about listening to your body and doing what feels good.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to charlie61 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'd definitely look into getting a high-density foam roller as well. Go to a sports store to find a diameter that works for you, and then you can either buy it there or online (rollers that are too broad won't target your hamstrings) - if you've never rolled muscles before on foam rollers, do some research beforehand. It's a fairly painful thing to do, but it massages both muscles and tendons. If you've ever gotten a therapeutic, deep-tissue massage, you'll know that the process can be quite painful, but the benefits are worth it. Rollers are pretty cheap, too.

Youtube has some helpful videos on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6HvgsB-Bc

You're looking for a roller like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Black-High-Den...ds=foam+roller