Thread: Confessions of a former strip club manager.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,844 Times in 878 Posts
    My Mood
    Fine

Default Confessions of a former strip club manager.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tsepmet1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,448 Times in 2,758 Posts

Default Re: Confessions of a former strip club manager.

He's acting like ALL clubs are like that. Mine sure as hell isn't.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arielbriel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,638 Posts

Looking forward to reading later after dinner (baked lemon thyme organic chicken followed by paleo bannana, avocado, strawberry and cacao mousse- Yum, had to share that
    Tiny tweaks----->BIG CHANGES

Quote Originally Posted by Kirakonstantin View Post
    More fear-mongering? Really? Yes, this is not the 1990's anymore. Yes, things are changing. Either dance or don't. Freaking out and sowing fear isn't going to help anyone.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flickdreams For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 510 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

I appreciate his sentiment but obviously his 10 years experience in managing and limited college experience (he couldnt even complete an associates at a jr college- who the fuck is hiring these idiots???) gave him no insight. the club he mentioned at the end is shutting down because they don't make enough money. in their "heydey" they paid the girls $14/hr for full on sex shows that people would jerk off to. so for $14, these girls were getting rammed with a double ended dildo in a kiddie pool full of lube while on the other side of the glass they could clearly see a bunch of dicks. fucking gross!!

whats going to help this industry is closing down all of the shithole clubs like the one he worked in so each city only has a few to choose from. thatll create higher standards for the girls as well as the customers who are allowed in. and firing every uneducated loser! every manager should have an mba and every bouncer should go through the same licensing/training that legit security has to go thru.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charlotte. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,563 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

I'd argue that this author is more interested in making a political statement than a factual one.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,481 Times in 2,767 Posts

The part about being forced to be a hardass is largely true. I've met a very few managers who managed to be hardasses while retaining the demeanor of a gentleman, and a rudimentary sense of compassion, but they are rare. But in every club I have worked, a manager (or DJ for that matter) without real balls would be ripped to shreds in no time at all--and subsequently fired.

His idea of having the clubs run by women isn't a bad one, except that the women must also be hardasses. And I've seen the women fall prey to the same temptations that the men managing the clubs do. Including hitting on all the dancers. In fact the very worst manager I have seen in 14 years in the business about sexual harassment, by far, was a woman. She drove off sooo many great dancers after fucking them, it was a real pain in the ass.
    You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Free your mind, and your ass will follow.
    George Clinton

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member ~*SwanPrincess*~'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 389 Posts

I dunno. I feel like he wrote this article assuming all clubs are run the way his was, which isn't true. Maybe some, but definitely not all.
    Lets face it, a strip club is never going to be like a "normal" job for managers, staff, or dancers. I think whether you work at an upscale club or a dive, you are eventually going to see some things that are sad, or seem unfair or wrong. You either have to deal with those things or move on, like this man did.
    Just how we see new dancers quickly come and go because they aren't cut out for the industry can be the same for staff too I suppose.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ~*SwanPrincess*~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah if they don't get scared off, they wind up changing fundamentally as far as social interaction goes--that's been my experience. The average person just cannot deal with the crazy shit dancers have to deal with every night. And the average person cannot run a club, even if it's a lot nicer than the one this guy ran.

The notion that working in a stripclub is 'just a job like any other' is one of the most common delusions I have seen. It's nothing whatsoever like most other jobs. To be sure, the best way to work is to deal with it like it's just like any other job. But it's not. Not in the least.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Djoser For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks

As a former strip club manager also with 10 years of experience, I found his take on it extremely limited as some of the other posters have already pointed out. He may have fallen in with a bad organization and projected the entire industry was like that.

My management style was to set up parameters of what behavior was required to create the best possible environment for the girls, the staff and the customers. I'd be extremely fair, flexible and easy going with actions that stayed within those parameters and would only become "hardass" when behavior was outside those parameters.

Thanks

That's good to hear. Most of the managers I have worked with lost their flexibility after a few years.

I've worked with maybe 3-4 really good managers, out of about 30-40 of them. Some of the rest were alright--but they weren't leaders. I think the same ratios as far as really good people to work with hold true in the rest of the club, but I admit to being cynical.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Djoser View Post
    That's good to hear. Most of the managers I have worked with lost their flexibility after a few years.

I've worked with maybe 3-4 really good managers, out of about 30-40 of them. Some of the rest were alright--but they weren't leaders. I think the same ratios as far as really good people to work with hold true in the rest of the club, but I admit to being cynical.
    I don't think you're being cynical at all, I think your ratios are pretty accurate across the board. I think the industry attracts a fair amount of people who for whatever reason can't or don't want to operate in a standardized environment. Without strong, consistent and fair management there is an excellent chance for things to get really funky.

It's also kind of funny that an industry that really needs high quality management because of the reasons previously mentioned very often installs people into positions of power with very few qualifications.

Thanks

Much as I have bitched about bad managers, I will go to the wall for a really good one. Been fortunate enough to have a few. I really like the guy I am working with now. He is young but totally dedicated.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

George Clinton

Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,638 Posts

The manager I worked with at my last club was a qualified electrician (and mates with the owner). The night of my birthday he and two dancer friends of mine organised a suprise for me, a bubble bath and bottle of champagne when the club closed and everyone else had left for the evening.
    Unfortunately what was inteded to be three dancers blowing off steam and enjoying themselves became very uncomfortable when he decided to nude up and join us in the spa- one of us a lesbian, one of us married and the remaining girl who just plain wasn't interested in a fat, bald, coke addled man at least 25 years our senior.
    Wonder where he learned that mananagement style?
    Tiny tweaks----->BIG CHANGES

Quote Originally Posted by Kirakonstantin View Post
    More fear-mongering? Really? Yes, this is not the 1990's anymore. Yes, things are changing. Either dance or don't. Freaking out and sowing fear isn't going to help anyone.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

I just want to know what chest hair has to do with being a pimp?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ChefKitty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,448 Times in 2,758 Posts

I don't think you have to be a hard ass to be a good manager. My managers are all very friendly gentlemen unless you do something bad and in that case, they won't really SCREAM at you but you will be brought into the office and probably end up crying but that's because you did something wrong. They are fair and compassionate.