Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Obama Care

Featured Member lifetravelergirl's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Skull Obama Care

I talked to my father tonight and he seems to think I have to sign up for insurance regarding this Obama Care thing. Honestly I am just trying to make enough money to survive and save up to pay the IRS and H&R Block. Is this Obama Care thing something I need to actively look into? O_O
    Smoking fetish guys need you to use real cigarettes ...
    Quote Originally Posted by AureliaC View Post
    Because they want it to slowly kill you, it's 90% of the appeal lol

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Obama Care

yes. it's the law. The govt can now FORCE you to buy something you may not want. Just wait, this is the first in a long line of new "correct thought/action" laws.

I would prefer the reverse (AND i wish this were true for motorcyclists without helmets/vehicle passengers not in seatbelts)....choose not to be insured, fine. We choose not to treat you on the taxpayer dime.

Featured Member lifetravelergirl's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

In the United States I think if instead of spending tax dollars paying back the interest on imaginary money or instead of funding perpetual war we could easily create a system for taking care of people's medical needs but we can't seem to do that. We can however give away money and goods to foreign countries in exchange for adherence to laws (etc.) that we want to force on other nations but that is just food and aid warfare which is really just more of what we are famous for, warfare, meddling, trying to control the world.
    Smoking fetish guys need you to use real cigarettes ...
    Quote Originally Posted by AureliaC View Post
    Because they want it to slowly kill you, it's 90% of the appeal lol

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lifetravelergirl For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 509 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by lifetravelergirl View Post
    In the United States I think if instead of spending tax dollars paying back the interest on imaginary money or instead of funding perpetual war we could easily create a system for taking care of people's medical needs but we can't seem to do that. We can however give away money and goods to foreign countries in exchange for adherence to laws (etc.) that we want to force on other nations but that is just food and aid warfare which is really just more of what we are famous for, warfare, meddling, trying to control the world.
    to be fair, that is what obama tried to do....but instead we got this weird lopsided bill that nobody seems to like .

the bill did expand medicare but about half of the states opted out of that. check to see if your state is one that didn't opt out and see if you qualify.

you can also ask your club if they provide any assistance. in my city one club has employee dancers so provides health care but I've heard that other independent contractor clubs are also offering a plan.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,566 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

Exclamation Re: Obama Care

politics aside, there is a very thorough discussion of this topic in a Dollar Den thread titled 'Health Care Plans'

In the way of a very brief summary ...

- The new ObamaCare law requires every American to obtain 'qualifying' health insurance coverage in 2014, or pay a new IRS penalty.

- "qualifying' health insurance coverage must cover such things as substance abuse treatment, mental health treatment etc. ... thus low premium cost health insurance policies that only cover 'catastrophic' illnesses or injuries will no longer be available in 2014.

- 'qualifying' health insurance coverage may be obtained through employers in some cases ... but typically just for 'full time employees' ( i.e. workers receiving weekly paychecks that are working 30 or more hours per week ). Independent contractors need not be provided health care coverage by the place they work

- 'qualifying' health insurance coverage can be purchased through both a private insurance agent as well as through new gov't run Public Health Insurance Exchanges. If purchased through the new gov't run exchanges, taxpayer subsidies may be available to offset part of the cost of the insurance premiums

- Taxpayer subsidies are NOT available for anyone earning more than 400% of the Federal Poverty Level, which is about $46,000 per year for a single person with no dependents. Taxpayer subsidies increase with decreasing incomes down to 133% of the Federal Poverty Level, which is about $14,500 for a single person with no dependents. Below the $14,500 income level, the person is 'shifted' to 'Expanded' Medicaid coverage ( which is essentially free, but has other consequences ) where available.

- Every state will have a Public Health Insurance Exchange available. Some will be run by the states, while others will be run by the US Federal gov't. States that run their own Exchanges will offer 'Expanded' Medicaid coverage. States that elected to let the federal gov't run their Exchanges will not ... meaning that 'regular' Medicaid coverage income level will be about $11,000 for a single person with no dependents.

- Very roughly speaking, and with much variation from state to state, the cost of 'qualifying' health insurance premiums for a single 25 year old with no dependents earning $46,000+ per year will be in the ballpark of $175 to $250 per month.

- If Americans choose not to purchase 'qualifying' health insurance, after three months of 2014 passing without having 'qualifying' health insurance coverage they will owe the IRS a new tax penalty amounting to 1% of their adjusted gross income ( this rises to 2% in 2015 and 2.5% thereafter ) - or $460 for a single 25 year old earning $46,000 per year. For independent contractors, that new 1% tax penalty is thus due and payable on April 1st and will need to be paid as part of their first quarter estimated tax payment due by April 15th 2014 ( in addition to rhe other estimated tax money due for social security tax and income tax on money earned between January 1st and April 1st 2014 ).

- this week's Washington budget 'deal' includes a specific requirement that eligibility for taxpayer subsidies for people buying insurance through the Public Health Exchanges be 'verified'. This will undoubtedly mean cross-links between the Public Health Exchanges and IRS records showing the person's reported income level. While the cross-checking of reported income levels for 2013 and previous years is unknown at this time, cross-checking of 2014 tax returns is a certainty.

- There is a 'claw back' provision in place that allows the gov't to reclaim taxpayer subsidy money 'given' to lower income people in the form of lower monthly health insurance premiums based on a certain estimated 2014 income level, where the person's actual reported 2014 income level turns out to be higher than estimated thus rendering them ineligible for that level of taxpayer subsidy. Any taxpayer subsidy money to which the person was not actually eligible will be 'clawed back' out of 2014 income taxes ( by April 15th 2015 ).

- the IRS has hired 16,000 additional auditors for the express purpose of enforcing these new ObamaCare tax provisions, which more or less doubles the total number of IRS auditors available.
    Last edited by Melonie; 10-19-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,457 Times in 3,228 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheeky

yes you do, or they will be charging you or taking a chunk outta your taxes..oh and H&R block blows!! they charged me 400 for 10 minutes of doing my taxes, try to find a better place.they also fucked up my taxes to the point where i got a mini-audit by the state. kinda off-topic but yeah

8. The Following User Says Thank You to simone87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,343 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

The penalty for not getting it this first year is 95 bucks. Which is obviously much much cheaper than actually getting health insurance, but you also don't get the benefit of having health insurance. And you are right, it would be wonderful if we could join the rest of the civilized world and have universal healthcare, but this is the first step in that direction.
    "Well done. Here are the test results: You are a horrible person. I'm serious, that's what it says: 'A horrible person.' We weren't even testing for that."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

^^^ wrong, the 2014 penalty is $95 or 1% of actual income, whichever is greater. The 2015 penalty is $325 or 2 %. The penalty for 2016 and $695 or 2.5%

see

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

in mass its an 800 dollar penalty for me, so obamacare is kinda besides the point..but melonie's right, the penalty goes up

12. The Following User Says Thank You to simone87 For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,845 Times in 3,540 Posts

You should definitely look into it. If you're barely getting by, you may be eligible for subsidies or Medicaid. You're not required to purchase health insurance if the lowest cost plan available costs more than 8 percent of your income.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 509 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

also if you're under 26 and got kicked off your parents ins you can sign back up with no penalty!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

^^^ also true, but that doesn't mean that the parent won't wind up spending significantly more money for 'family' coverage through an employer health insurance plan. The Public Health exchanges also are providing 'family' coverage options if the parent doesn't have employer health insurance available.

If you're barely getting by, you may be eligible for subsidies or Medicaid
    Indeed, if you live in a state that runs its own Public Health Insurance Exchange, if you earn less than ~$300 per week you will probably be eligible for Expanded Medicaid coverage. While such coverage is 'free', if is still Medicaid ... meaning that the state will eventually attempt to recover the dollar value of the benefits it has provided.
    Last edited by Melonie; 10-20-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Melonie View Post
    ^^^ wrong, the 2014 penalty is $95 or 1% of actual income, whichever is greater. The 2015 penalty is $325 or 2 %. The penalty for 2016 and $695 or 2.5%

see http://money.cnn.com/2013/08/13/news...acare-penalty/
    You are absolutely right and obviously i knew that, but she said she is barely getting by so i imagined the 95 bucks was the most likely of the two for her.
    "Well done. Here are the test results: You are a horrible person. I'm serious, that's what it says: 'A horrible person.' We weren't even testing for that."

Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,463 Posts
    My Mood
    Sneaky

So... you're telling me.... some people don't want health insurance?

I don't understand this!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
    ^What Sophia said.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda57us View Post
    I wish there was an "auto-like" setting that I could just have applied to all of your posts Sophia....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,437 Times in 870 Posts
    My Mood
    Devilish

Obamacare needs 7 million people to sign up or else it goes under. Don't sign up.
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetravelergirl View Post
    I talked to my father tonight and he seems to think I have to sign up for insurance regarding this Obama Care thing. Honestly I am just trying to make enough money to survive and save up to pay the IRS and H&R Block. Is this Obama Care thing something I need to actively look into? O_O

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to indiegirl For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,893 Times in 2,724 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

Nothing in here says the government should be in the insurance or medical care business.
    Section. 8.
    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
    To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;
    To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;
    To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;
    To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;
    To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;
    To establish Post Offices and post Roads;
    To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;
    To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;
    To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;
    To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;
    To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;
    To provide and maintain a Navy;
    To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;
    To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;
    To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
    To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And
    To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slowpoke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    Obamacare needs 7 million people to sign up or else it goes under. Don't sign up.
    Why not?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,149 Times in 1,463 Posts
    My Mood
    Sneaky

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl View Post
    I'm calling shenanigans on your post (quoted above).

You are aware that clubs don't provide health insurance like other jobs do, right? If the Affordable Care Act "goes under", a lot of people with preexisting conditions, with unconventional/freelance/independent jobs, and part time jobs could face serious financial hardship if they are not covered and end up sick or injured. Why would you advise someone risk their health and finances to make a point?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay12 View Post
    ^What Sophia said.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoda57us View Post
    I wish there was an "auto-like" setting that I could just have applied to all of your posts Sophia....

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sophia_Starina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

its going to royally mess up an already messed economy..one point in favor of it going under

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to simone87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

So... you're telling me.... some people don't want health insurance?

I don't understand this!
    Well, consider it from a 'real world' standpoint in 2014. As a successful full time single dancer you earn more than the $46,000 annual cutoff for taxpayer funded subsidies. Without any pre-existing conditions, as a health 20-something year old ObamaCare health insurance premiums are going to cost you $2,000 - $3,000 per year ( depending on which state you live in and which level you choose ). Additionally, before ObamaCare health insurance pays one dime toward medical bills to treat an illness or injury, you'll have to first pay a $3,000+ deductible out of pocket. And once you HAVE paid the first $3,000+ in deductible, you then get to pay 30-40% in co-pays above that amount ... up to the point where the $6,350 annual out of pocket limit is finally reached and ObamaCare insurance then pays 100% for medical treatment. However, it is unclear whether ObamaCare will pay 100% for prescription drugs above the $6,350 annual out-of-pocket limit, versus requiring a 30-40% co-pay no matter how high the total cost goes. And recent reports from hospitals ... who under ObamaCare have extremely little ability to recover unreimbursed deductibles and/or co-pays from ObamaCare insured patients AFTER medical treatment has been provided ... show that they are increasingly likely to demand that ObamaCare patients pony up their entire deductible and co-pay amounts in cash BEFORE medical treatment will be provided. See

On the other hand, since ObamaCare specifically prohibits denial of insurance ... or charging higher premiums ... due to pre-existing conditions, why on earth would anybody want to spend $2,000-$3,000 for health insurance premiums BEFORE they actually become sick or injured and KNOW that they're going to be incurring major medical bills ? It's much cheaper to simply pay the new IRS tax penalty while you remain healthy, and if / when you do become sick or injured you can sign up for ObamaCare coverage just before going to the hospital emergency room.

Or consider it from a 'real world' standpoint, but from the other end of the spectrum. You're a very part-time dancer or camgirl who earns $200-$300 a week. As such, you fall below the income threshold for Exchange insurance and will be signed up for Expanded Medicaid when you apply at the Public Health Exchange. Yes this provides you 'free' health insurance, but also limits you to doctors and hospitals that will accept Medicaid insurance ( which pays significantly less than private insurance for a given medical service ). And as a form of Medicaid, the state keeps a running total of the cash value of all medical care provided to you for 'free', but doesn't do anything about that before you reach age 55. However, when you do reach age 55, the state will step in and attempt to recover that cash value from you - with 'interest', thus ( for example ) denying your future children the ability to inherit the future house you will buy, the future savings and investments you will accumulate, etc.

here's an explanation from the Daily KOS ...

(snip)"if you go on Medicaid, you owe the entire amount that Medicaid spends on you from the day you turn 55.

And that amount is not just what is spent on your doctor visits and your treatments, whatever they may be. No, there is also something called a "capitation charge." For each enrollee, a base cost is assigned to the entity that administers the program. How much will that charge be? It varies by state, and as far as I can tell by other variables as well, but it could be hundreds of dollars per month, or more. (If you have specific information on this, please do share it!)

How will this play out? No one knows, as far as I can tell. But it is easy to see how this could become a real problem. If someone is low income and goes on Medicaid, will Medicaid put a lien on their house? If they need to sell their house and move, will they then lose all their equity in paying off the lien? Will people get hit with bills and liens for many thousands of dollars, even if they were healthy and hardly ever went to the doctor?

Why is it that Medicaid is pretty much cost free to use up to age 54 if you qualify, and suddenly becomes a collateral loan at age 55, for which a state agency will do its best to collect payment in full for every cost assigned? It seems clear that the Estate Recovery law did not anticipate the current circumstance with the ACA, and that putting the two laws together makes for a terribly unfair situation for some."(snip)

Also, ObamaCare is precipitating a third option ... 'Concierge Medicine'. In this new business model, doctors / clinics totally refuse to accept health insurance ( both private market and Public Health Exchange ), they get rid of the large office staffs necessary to handle all of the insurance reimbursement paperwork, and instead they directly offer medical care to self-paying patients at MAJOR discounts. Rejecting the 'rules' set in place by ObamaCare means that doctors can spend more time with patients, can make decisions about treatments that aren't limited by the list of what ObamaCare will pay for vs what it won't, etc. See
    Last edited by Melonie; 10-21-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charlotte. View Post
    also if you're under 26 and got kicked off your parents ins you can sign back up with no penalty!
    My question and nothing against you but I've read this a lot here. Why can't a dancer afford her own insurance. I've had it since I was 20 and had a regular job. I read a lot of girls here in their 20's on their parents insurance. Hell if you dance and can't afford insurance then you should get a regular job. Lol. I also won't pay for my daughters after she turns 20. Kids today are so spoiled. Lol. That's why their work ethic sucks!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simone87 View Post
    its going to royally mess up an already messed economy..one point in favor of it going under
    What fucks everything up is the people who go to the emergency room all the time because they don't have insurance and never pay the bill. We should have socialized medicine! Poorer countries than ours offer healthcare to their people but everything here is marked up 300%. We pay enough taxes that we should get socialized medicine. Well I do. 80% of the entertainers I work with don't even pay any!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

i totally agree that we need socialized medicine, just like canada..we pay taxes, so it should benefit the citizens who pay it , not pay for bail-outs and wars and greedy politicians!! the whole health care system is soo fucked up in this country but i feel like what he is implementing is going to mess it up even further.
    i go to the doctor so rarely that i just pay out of pocket, the cost is ridiculous but my experience with any kind of insurance has been not so good when you actually need them to pony up.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to simone87 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

Why can't a dancer afford her own insurance
    ^^^ 'affordable' is a relative term. Until the end of this year, many states allowed health insurance companies to provide 'catastrophic only' or very high deductible or 'limited coverage' health insurance policies. These sort of policies were very popular with young and healthy people because of the very low cost monthly premiums they were able to offer, versus the very low probability that a young and healthy person would develop a serious chronic illness etc. However, 'qualifying' coverage under ObamaCare now adds coverage for such things as substance abuse treatment, mental health treatment, etc. ... as well as 'free' coverage for birth control and other routine services ... which significantly expands the sphere of coverage thus significantly increases monthly premium cost. After the first of the year, those $50-$100 per month 'catastrophic only' or very high deductible or 'limited coverage' health insurance policies will become extinct, instead requiring the purchase of 'qualified' health insurance coverage at a cost of $175-$250+ per month.

We pay enough taxes that we should get socialized medicine. Well I do. 80% of the entertainers I work with don't even pay any!
    ObamaCare will change that too !!! While the requirement for businesses was waived for this year, next year ObamaCare will require 1099 reports to the IRS for any 'worker' receiving more than $600 from a given 'payer' throughout the year. The ObamaCare sign-up process supposedly links to IRS files, such that the 'claimed' income level ( thus amount of taxpayer subsidy applied to the ObamaCare health insurance monthly premium ) will be cross-checked against previous year and future 2014 tax return filings. ObamaCare funded the IRS to hire 16,000 new auditors for the specific purpose of enforcing ObamaCare related tax issues, and the IRS is already on record that they will make a priority of investigating compliance for 'cash' businesses.

Banned
    Thanks

Melonie you always go on and on about healthy people wasting money on insurance. A young person could get cancer, a bad car accident, a broken arm. All these things would potentially bankrupt someone if they had no insurance and needed to be treated. My dad surgery to remove part od his lung was 300,000. a one day stay in the hospital is 10,000. I'd rather take my chances and pay instead of being penniless if I had something catastrophic happen.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast