Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OBS Open Broadcaster Software as an Alternative to Flash Media Encoder

Thanks
    Thanked 12,358 Times in 2,795 Posts
    My Mood
    Flirty

Default OBS Open Broadcaster Software as an Alternative to Flash Media Encoder

https://obsproject.com/

Has anyone ever tried to cam with OBS?

I just tried to stream with OBS instead of FME and it actually worked! Maybe this could be an alternative for those who find FME too resource intensive. This broadcaster uses so little resources!

I didn't really go on SM with it to test picture and sound quality but all those settings can be adjusted.

Maybe if someone is curious about it, they can try it out tonight and let us know how it goes?

To enter the FME settings in OBS, just go to "Settings" and put the FMS URL and Stream Key in the appropriate boxes, then press OK.

Then press "Start Streaming" on the main window.

You might need to play around with bitrate and audio.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 443 Posts

Default Re: OBS Open Broadcaster Software as an Alternative to Flash Media Encoder

I hopped on SM with it for a few moments after adjusting the settings. My feed when I checked through my cammodels link worked fine and looked just like the preview window and guys could hear me great. I just saw they have a linux version of the program which (if it weren't for skyprivate) would let me go linux only for camming which I'd really enjoy. I only used 28% CPU while streaming and usually it's closer to 40~% used overall when using the normal encoder.

Edit: Tried it with Cams and it worked fine there as well. However, it didn't make much of a difference resource wise with Cams as what it did with SM. At the same time, I broadcast to SM with a much higher bitrate and higher resolution, so that's probably why.
    Last edited by RaeRae; 03-25-2015 at 07:30 PM.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RaeRae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,725 Times in 1,750 Posts
    My Mood
    Sleepy

Default Re: OBS Open Broadcaster Software as an Alternative to Flash Media Encoder

Does it display widescreen correctly? I tried AverMedia ReCentral one time and it came out distorted like I was using a 8:6 source.
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJu View Post
    On cam, you can be unwashed, stinky but with makeup. And guys probably think you smell like roses.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnylexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

There was no distortion when I used it as long as I set it up correctly. On SM, I was widescreen with me broadcasting at 1280x720 and on Cams in 4x3 in 800x600. The program doesn't seem to allow two windows of it to be open at once, so if you needed two encoders going for splitting, you'd still need to use Adobe's, but at least it looks like using this would allow for less cpu usage overall.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RaeRae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,868 Times in 1,537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RaeRae View Post
    There was no distortion when I used it as long as I set it up correctly. On SM, I was widescreen with me broadcasting at 1280x720 and on Cams in 4x3 in 800x600. The program doesn't seem to allow two windows of it to be open at once, so if you needed two encoders going for splitting, you'd still need to use Adobe's, but at least it looks like using this would allow for less cpu usage overall.
    So does each encoder use the feed off the same camera or would you need two different cameras to splitcam encoder sites?

"Daily pay ALL the things!"
    [email protected] - Skype: BoleynModels - "If you haven't heard a rumor by 10am, start one."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KatyBoleyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I use VerySoft WebCamSplitter for splitting my feed into each encoder as I don't believe Windows will allow a normal webcam to be used by more than one app at once.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RaeRae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 438 Posts

This is rad!! Thanks for sharing!!
    Camming PC specs database and suggested builds HERE.||Post your internet speedtest results HERE.||Wanna stay safe while camming? Find out how HERE||My Twitter!||My cammodels link||Member of the verified Camgirls group

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KarinaGiselle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Trying it as of right now. KinkLive support really likes my stream. I like what I see too, but that's not telling me much since the Europe/USA lags. (with FMLE I had situations where UK guys heard me and saw me fine while US guys responded to things I've said 5 minutes earlier when they weren't in the room and complained about freezing).
    I really like the user interface. Took a couple of minutes to check out what's what but now I can start recording my show with a keyboard shortcut (I chose Ctrl R as it's easy to remember).
    What is the best is that I can use much higher resolution and finally make the best of my Logitech C920. I have an i5 processor (Dell XPSL702X) and I think that's my weakest link, 'cause my up speed is 6MB and I've never maxed that while camming (but tried to).

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TooNiceToHustle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,409 Times in 3,639 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Did anyone check their placement while using this? Just wondering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Red View Post
    Audritwo's asshole sees all, knows all. Spurs on armies of orcs. Casts fear into the dwindling races of Middle-Earth. Fears hobbits.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to audritwo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Downloading now to explore. I've been having blinking issues with the encoder lately. I thought it was my cam because it gave out on me the other day. But after getting a new c930, it still blinks. I may test it this afternoon/night and let you know. I'll be sure to check my placement too.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ClassyCara For This Useful Post:

Thanks

My placement wasn't any worse from using it. I'm where I usually am at this time of day for how I've been working SM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaeRae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If there are any ladies out there on Mac and splitcam using CamTwist with OBS, please let me know. I set up my SM and KL to use the OBS encoder, but get big time lags. I'm able to open 2 windows of OBS by going to terminal and typing in the following command twice: "open -n /Applications/OBS.app"

I'm not sure why it's lagging so badly. I splitcam regularly on AW and SM and never have issues, but when I splitcam on KL and SM, everyone tells me that the video is lagging. I have a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, Intel Core i7, with 8GB ram. Does KL require more resources since more people can be sitting in your room? I'm at a loss

Thanks

So, I got the lagging issues figured out, but I'm going to be using CocoaSplit with CamTwist. They actually have in their setting that you can split your feed to as many RTMPs as you want without having to open up multiple instances of the program. You can also put in the settings how many kbps you want going to each stream! So, you can have 1 CocoaSplit encoder window open with all your sites you're streaming from...ezpz

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ggminx For This Useful Post:

Thanks

When I asked about my lagging (a couple of weeks ago) KL support first asked if I was on WIFI so I plugged myself in. Didn't help any. Then they asked where I was. When I replied Poland they just said that's a known problem and it can't be helped. One of my frequent chatters from the US helps me check the lag every night. If I do lag I bring down the bitrate to a measly 650 and then I'm pixelated but at least on time.

I'm wondering about last night. It was soooo slow (I made roughly as much as I would have in my last muggle job and considering the differences in buying power in the US and PL...eh). I had some tips and one fake group, most of the custies were EU-based. My US helper didn't report any lag, I had the most anons ever (and also did my longest shift on KL to date, wanting to at least have one decent show). A week ago I banked, this time I struggled despite looking really good, having more props and better connection. I kept my game face on but nothing helped.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to TooNiceToHustle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,003 Times in 4,654 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

My encoder is fucked up today. I tried the OBS earlier but I was magnified to about 200%. I couldn't figure out how to set lower it to 75%. That was my only complaint. I'd use it now if I could fix that somehow.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks

So I used it tonight and it works well. I still have a little more testing to do though, and some more research on how to use this program. But overall I LOVE it waaaaaaaaaay more than adobe. It gives you more control over EVERYTHING, and has a lot more options. This encoder would be good for streaming video games and other things, FMLE seems like a dumbed down version in comparison.

I noticed that no matter how much I changed the output rescale size (or even just the normal video rescale size), it showed up the same on the site. The only thing that changed was the smoothness of my stream. To change the size on the screen you will have to physically resize your video window (red boxes at the edges of your video feed). You have to play around with the resolution and the CPU usage preset to find the sweet spot for what your computer can handle.

I didn't see too much of a difference in placement. I think I may have been a little higher than normal, or there could have been less models on than normal. Bitrate and round trip stats are about the same, slightly higher for both (which is good for bitrate, but bad for round trip). I will test again some more tomorrow and have a better reading on the stats since SM takes a while to update those.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClassyCara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy

Another great thing about the software - it lets me emulate 30 fps with my 25 fps PAL camcorder (a good thing about camcorders is they don't fuck up the contrast or go pixelated or drop framerate when you're wearing black or using a dark background like webcams do).
    On cam, you can be unwashed, stinky but with makeup. And guys probably think you smell like roses.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sunnylexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Ive been procrastinating on using this again. Gonna try tonight. But I still can't figure out how to not make me look like Im amplified. I want to be able to record my shows and sell them. Anyone still using it? And if so how has it been working out for you? Thank you

Thanks

I believe if you do Cntrl-F on the keyboard (or right click on the video feel and play with things under Position/Size) while streaming or previewing the stream it will unzoom you in and set the video feed to the base resolution under the video settings.

I had to make sure to disable any mic under the audio section in the settings as it would give my feed an echo (as the webcam mic is picked up under the source settings), otherwise, it has worked great for me. I even got compliments on how clear my feed was last night from a reg.

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RaeRae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy

As OBS is meant for game streaming it's supposed to pick up BOTH what you're saying into your microphone and the game sound without using the speakers (which eliminates the interference and allows you to record the sound even when you're wearing a headset) - hence the two sources. If you don't want your audio feed to be doubled, you should not choose the same for both but disable any of them.soundguide1.png
    Last edited by Sunnylexie; 04-02-2015 at 07:08 PM.

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sunnylexie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by RaeRae View Post
    I believe if you do Cntrl-F on the keyboard (or right click on the video feel and play with things under Position/Size) while streaming or previewing the stream it will unzoom you in and set the video feed to the base resolution under the video settings.

I had to make sure to disable any mic under the audio section in the settings as it would give my feed an echo (as the webcam mic is picked up under the source settings), otherwise, it has worked great for me. I even got compliments on how clear my feed was last night from a reg.

Yes! Thank you that worked. Now streaming to 4 sites. One OBS. ONe Adobe and Verysoft. Clear streams. Clear Audio and cpu is clocking in at 24%. Now if only the traffic was better. Thank you

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Sunnylexie, you are a fantastic woman! Just needs to be stated for everyone to know, if they didn't already.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RaeRae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,155 Posts
    My Mood
    Inspired

You can open OBS more than once, just like you can with the FMLE. Here's how:

~ Right click the OBS shortcut on your desktop
    ~ Select Properties
    ~ In the "Target" space, leave whatever is there, but at the end, add " -multi" (without the quotation marks, also there is a space before the dash) For example, mine originally said:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\OBS\OBS.exe"
    And now it says:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\OBS\OBS.exe" -multi

Once you do that, you can open as many of them as you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by temptingmodel
    "dont worry, its slow for other models today"
    I'm not other models, its not slow.

43. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Magical_Hoohah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Im gonna try two OBS tomorrow. For tonight I gave up on SM. Guys were all saying Ihad a delay and I could see that my roundtrip time was 700 at one point. And then it went down to 250? That's crazy. Maybe this encoder will change that. But I can totally see a much better quality with this one.

Oh yea Im not able to record on this thing. I almost forgot to post. I get an error box saying this :Unable to create the file output stream. Check the file path in the Broadcast Settings.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Sleepy

I don't typically use encoders for recording but I tried these settings and they worked.

save to file.png

If there are issues with bandwidth/bitrate, check the video settings and make sure your resolution is downscaled. OBS may be attempting to stream in the initial resolution and bitrate which will be too high in most cases. Mind the videos you record with the encoder will be resized as well!

downscale.png

There's an indicator in the right bottom corner of the main window showing if your bandwidth is enough for your bitrate. As far as it's green, you're fine.
    Last edited by Sunnylexie; 04-03-2015 at 12:35 AM.

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnylexie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast