Thread: Setting Priorities: a Time Management Challenge

Featured Member DancesWithSloths's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 990 Posts

Default Setting Priorities: a Time Management Challenge

Time management books recommend separating your activities into types (e.g. A, B, C or 1, 2, 3) according to their importance, so that you can make sure to schedule things that really need to be done, and not get lost doing all the busywork.

So far my attitude to my camming business has been fairly unstructured. I'm aware that being logged on = money (priority A), but all the other activities are kind of happening whenever. (Or never at all. *blush*) When I log off, I feel like I'm done with camming for the day, and just do a couple of things here and there, when I remember them. This works up to a point - I'm hitting low to medium goals, my bills are paid, my cat is fed. But my business isn't terribly efficient and, more to the point, the high goals seem very far away.

April is going to be a month of figuring out priorities, learning to manage the time when I'm logged off and creating useful routines. I invite you to join in

Here's a draft of how I think my activities and goals should be sorted into priorities:

A (very important): broadcasting; shooting clips; shooting picture sets; writing stories
    B (important): traffic-generating activities (eg advertising, social media, blogging) ; tax records; editing & uploading clips, pics & stories; mailing sold items
    C (routine): body upkeep; taking care of cam space, props & costumes; messages & correspondence; banking activities; researching new basket eggs & fetishes; playing with spreadsheets; freshening up profiles

Now, I don't know whether I'll actually manage to fit all these things into any given week, but I'd like to. But more importantly, I'd like to keep good records, watch my behaviour, figure out what's more or less effective, and generally spend less time feeling stuck and aimless.

If you'd like to join in with the challenge, use this thread to post what your A, B and C priorities are, reflect on what's working for you, and moan about all the boring stuff that you have to do when you're running a business.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 916 Posts

Default Re: Setting Priorities: a Time Management Challenge

Dude I just started reading a self help book for procrastination called the now habit and at my stopping point yesterday it was talking about this very thing. I will be thinking about this and joining in as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Juliette25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,436 Times in 799 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

This thread is literal perfection. Count me in

Public Snapchat: ivy_adams

5. The Following User Says Thank You to IvyAdams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,143 Times in 694 Posts

Oh man. I need to better spend my non-cam time being focused so I get more done in less time. Love this thread.

Thanks

Today was the first day I spent trying to spread my activities between different type of priorities. It's been a mixed bag so far, but then, that's why it's a challenge!
    I'm still down with flu, and couldn't cam, but I've been well enough to do other stuff, so I decided to woman up and have a proper workday as far as it was possible. Here's how it's worked out:

Priority A: 2 hrs - writing erotica while logged into a sexting line. The sexting line was dead, but I wrote most of a story
    Priority B: 0 hrs - today wasn't my day with regards to marketing
    Priority C: 3 hrs - I've finally done a bunch of things I'd been putting off for weeks, such as opening a Paxum account and signing up for daily pay. Forms and paperwork are truly my cryptonite, and I'm sure that if it hadn't been for this challenge, I would still be putting it off

I'm *fried*.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Juliette25 View Post
    Dude I just started reading a self help book for procrastination called the now habit and at my stopping point yesterday it was talking about this very thing. I will be thinking about this and joining in as well.
    I got myself a copy of The Now Habit yesterday, and have been having lightbulb moments all over the place

The A,B,C thing is kind of an old-fashioned way of managing priorities, but it feels pretty promising as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks

This challenge is really stretching me, bbs, and I'm only 3 days in. I knew I was a disorganised person, but trying to treat my camming business as a business beyond log in - make money - log off is a steep, steep learning curve.

My activities from all priority groups are being taken care of quite well. I've done a ton if little niggling admin jobs I'd been putting off, like getting verified on a new site and learning to use Webcam Splitter Pro. Overall I'm doing OK.

The one thing that's a real struggle is being methodical about to-do lists for the day, especially for things that aren't in a daily routine. Three days in a row I've logged off thinking, "OK, time to do something from Priority B activities. But what?"

*panics*

*procrastinates for 4 hours*

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DancesWithSloths For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this. Being a camgirl is such an art and it's a business that needs to be managed as such. I'm down! I'll be posting my agenda tomorrow after I figure it out tonight. I was just thinking of how I need to do this as well that way I can be productive on/off cam.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,531 Times in 1,726 Posts

Organisation is half the battle.
    I have an app on my phone that was recommended here. It's free and called Remember The Milk. That little app keeps my life sorted! It's sort of a calendar, kind of a to do list and you tick stuff off as it's completed.
    Example:

Monday
    film one clip (repeat each week)
    Write blog (repeat each month)
    Post on vine (repeat daily)
    Worm dog (repeat every 3 months)
    - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnylexie View Post
    The morale of the story: trying to please everyone is a thankless job. Try pissing everyone off instead: you'll have more fun that way.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vlodina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Ok I'm in.

I'm getting very anxious about not spending my time well. I'm at home more than ever yet we have lived on takeaway for the last month. It makes not sense to start eating poorly when you start a job that involves being naked!!!

I'm going to integrate my lists with housework chores and try and be organised!

follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/MiaFoxUK

Thanks
    Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,009 Posts

I have AWFUL time management, I'm the very same with the: log on - make money - log off routine. The rest of my life is upside down, I can't even find the time to do the housework, let alone get the place straight, and it's pissing me off. So will be following this thread with interest

Senior Member E.S. Camgirl, Ph.D.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

I'll admit I'm not super great at time management and not procrastinating, but I would say Body Care needs to be a higher priority for us all. Our bodies are our money makers and without a healthy body, there's no work. I've been camming a lot lately to handle my upcoming moving expenses, but I haven't been eating right and it's definitely been affecting me.

As for actual organization though, I've been using the Trello app (it's also a regular website) and it has been really, REALLY helpful. It is essentially a fancy to-do list that lets you take notes on each thing you're doing, and it breaks things into smaller components. I was able to write up everything I had to do for my move, all the money I had to pay and to whom, and now I can say I'm actually three days ahead of schedule, all my monies are paid, my accounts are up to date, and everything is in place for a seamless move. I can tell you that if I had NOT used the app, I'd be sucking down a bottle of clonazepam right now.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to E.S. Camgirl, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Where to-do apps and lists are concerned, I did a 14-day free trial of Omnifocus last month. It's quite expensive, but I would have paid the price without looking back if it wasn't Mac/iOS only. The features on that are amazing - e.g. on the phone app you can get it to send you reminders when you're in a particular place, and you can voice-record to-dos straight from Siri.

This month I'm trying Asana, which is a team productivity app that my gf decided our family urgently needed to learn. You can have group projects (e.g. housework, with tasks assigned to different people), and personal (e.g. camming). It's free for small teams. I quite like the functionality, but the interface is taking some getting used to.

My life currently has two struggles: remembering to put things on the list, and remembering to look at the list.

Thanks

I went light on posting to this thread throughout the month, but today is the last day of this personal challenge, and I wanted to share a few lessons I learned.

TL'DR: April has been my best month on cam since November, even though I had to take lots of time off. My cam business is a lot more streamlined.

1. Setting priorities on its own doesn't work that great, and making to-do lists on its own wasn't all that helpful, but *making to-do lists with the view of including a mix of activities from different priority categories* was very helpful indeed.

2. Scheduling time to update to-do lists itself takes time. When I didn't put it on the to-do list specifically, several days would go by and suddenly I'd notice I was slipping into the old random work habits.

3. If some to-do item has been on the list for a few days but I catch myself avoiding doing it, it may be because I'm not sure how exactly to get it done. Breaking the task up into smaller tasks would usually solve it. So "sign up for Egg Basket 4" becomes "Look up what documents Egg Basket 4 needs, obtain those documents."

Er. That's kind of it.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DancesWithSloths For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,560 Times in 3,647 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

I'm loving all these challenges. Sploosh

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Red View Post
    Audritwo's asshole sees all, knows all. Spurs on armies of orcs. Casts fear into the dwindling races of Middle-Earth. Fears hobbits.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to audritwo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,226 Times in 1,362 Posts

I have to restart. For years I have had priorities but recent events have messed up priorities
    My goal right now is to re organize the list

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Erika_Xstacy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,804 Times in 849 Posts
    My Mood
    Chatty

I am just now seeing this list so I'm going to use it to help me get organized and prioritize for the month of may. I love my remember the milk app I can even mark tasks as high, medium, and low priority (A,B,C) so I am trying to have some of each on my to do list each day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Procrasturbator View Post
    And keep at it. Get up, put on your make up, and sign on. With every second you're online comes the possibility of your next big spender. A customer could show up who will spend enough to make up for all the bad days and then some. You just have to be around for him and working multiple sites increases the chances of him finding you.

~No Love, All Hustle~

Emanuelle

I schedule things a little differently. I have personal priorities on the list, but I'll keep it strictly about business here.

A. Camming & Gym. These are my top priorities aside from good sleep. I only put a gold star on my calendar if I do both these things in a day. Yes, that's right, I give myself gold stars because I deserve them and I didn't get enough of them as a child.

B. Social Media & Research. Things I think are important enough to do daily, and I have the time for it, but if I don't have anything interesting or useful to upload I don't force it. I'm actually really bad at social media and it's where I need the most work. I also try to read every thread here that's relevant to me. Here and ambercutie, and some blogs, etc. I try to read at least 10 pages a day during coffee time or before bed.

C. Content Creation & Uploads; Meal Planning, Shopping & Prep. These are things I try to get done on my day off. They're important but I don't want to do them daily.

The setup for photos & clips is time consuming so I feel like it's more efficient to take a lot of photos in one day, or record multiple clips in one day, and then schedule the uploads for the week. The uploads also take a long time, so this is a fuuuuullll day of work on my "day off".

I think meal planning and prep is super important if you want to make the best use of your time and be efficient and ready to get shit done. I don't want to stop in the middle of a tight schedule to figure out what I feel in the mood for, and then cook it. I don't want to eat the wrong thing because I got stuck on cam too long so I'm super hungry and Taco Bell looks like the greatest food in the world right now.

I don't make full meals & put them in little boxes, I just do the prep. If I'm going to eat chicken then I separate out 3 days worth and put the rest in the freezer. I cook the 3 days worth so I can throw them onto a bagged salad mix or rice bowl quickly. The 3rd night I thaw and cook more, or I thaw a few days worth of shrimp, or whatever so nothing spoils and I can have variety. I pre-chop fruit & vegetables and measure out anything that needs to be measured so it's easy to grab, combine, heat & eat. I eat the fresh produce early in the week before they spoil & frozen later in the week.

My exact schedule will change from week to week in some ways. For the upcoming SM contest week it looks something like
    Mon-Fri
    6:00 wake up & coffee
    7:00am-12:00pm cam
    12:00-4:00 gym & personal stuff
    4:00-10:00 cam
    11:00 sleep
    Sat & Sun
    6:00 wake up & coffee
    7:00 gym & stuff
    10:00am-10:00pm cam
    11:00 sleep

Usually Monday is my day off, I don't always work in the evenings, when I do work in the evenings I start at 6:00, and I only work 6 hours on the weekends 10-4 or 12-6 depending on my plans.

That's how I prioritize my schedule and I think if I put more effort into social media I could be earning a lot more.

BTW I hate that when I write a long post like this I'm logged out and I usually have to rewrite the end that didn't get autosaved. Ggggggrrrrrrrrrrr.......
    Last edited by Emanuelle; 05-27-2021 at 04:00 AM.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emanuelle For This Useful Post: