Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What to tell new landlord?

Thanks
    Thanked 14,087 Times in 7,391 Posts
    My Mood
    Angry

Default Re: What to tell new landlord?

No, I'd definitely never do this, as far as I'm concerned, giving any personal info out, no matter how trivial, is handing someone a stick to beat you with!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,204 Times in 1,314 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

I think it also depends where you live. When I danced I was a renter and I never had an issue. For one, I had great credit and one of the landlords (who is a total piece of shit but had a lot of properties) flat out told me he liked renting to strippers because they always paid on time and in cash.

I must say, there are only a handful of "liberal" cities like this I can think of off the top of my head.
    XoXo Gia
    Danielle Fishell (the Dish): "If the Super-Star thing doesn't work out, Gia makes a great stripper name"

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gia2608 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxxGothBarbie View Post
    I'm always thinking up new stories to fudge when it comes to renting a place. I've learned the hard way to never ever tell them that you are a strippper, dancer, or anything relating to the sex industry. It only leads to judgement & usually works against you sadly. I will lie my ass off & say that I do graphic design, I get projects off elance.com & also work from my computer doing marketing. You can always print out recent bank statements OR past ones & just photoshop the numbers & dates if needed just to get a place asap.
    I explain my sites as those "penny hoarder" sites and then refer them to swag bucks and inbox dollars. My club says it's a grocery store on our w2s (just like our atm) which is a huge helper and one of the reasons I've been in the small club so long lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to xilliannax For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've never mentioned that I was a stripper on any applications since civilians think "stripper" = crazy drug-fueled prostitute who will throw parties, host orgies, trash the place, and skip out on the rent. I usually say that I'm a self-employed makeup artist and I would theoretically submit bank statements if requested, but it has never gone that far. To be fair, I do have good credit so I've never had a problem with qualifying.

Graphic design is a good cover, because it's generally thought to pay well and I doubt it will provoke many questions.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trustfundkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,611 Times in 2,615 Posts

I need to add the other problem with telling the property management or landlord that you strip is many maintenance men have access to paperwork & keys in the office...meaning if someone wants to break into your place to steal cash or other items you have no restitution if it's a handyman. & Yes neighbors gossip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsr...k&spfreload=10
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    I need to add the other problem with telling the property management or landlord that you strip is many maintenance men have access to paperwork & keys in the office...meaning if someone wants to break into your place to steal cash or other items you have no restitution if it's a handyman. & Yes neighbors gossip.
    Deposit your earnings every night after work. Open a business checking account, preferably with a credit union. Make nightly deposits of all your earnings for that night. At the end of the week, write yourself a check out of the business account and eposit that check in your personal checking account. I made my weekly draws a set amount that didn't change over the year. My last draw, on the last Friday of the year was a big one. That was the money I saved and invested.

HTH
    Z

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

I’ve never had any major issues. We have creepy maintenance men that know me and another girl dance. One got her phone number from the files. I keep cash in a bank safety box, but not at the one you bank at.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ifyouseekamy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,611 Times in 2,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaninchen View Post
    I was completely honest with my most recent landlord. He was very pleasant and not at all creepy when I explained that I had no proof of income because I only earn cash as a stripper. It most likely helped that I told him I was working my way through a nearby well-respected university, because he told me he worked his way through engineering school as a busboy or something. He actually chose me over other applicants with better credit! He's really nice to me and asks me about my grades whenever I see him.

Prior to that, I told landlords that I was living off my GI Bill money, which was a total lie, even though I was in the Army. Maybe you could say that you won a settlement or you have a trust fund or something and build up a few bank statements as "proof."
    Good ideas. I'm glad your landlord is a good human. Definitely the minority in that world.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsr...k&spfreload=10
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12