Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to tell new landlord?

Thanks

Default What to tell new landlord?

I'm trying to find a new apartment or rent a room with roommates in my area. Should I tell the landlords that I'm a stripper? I assume it sounds better than graphic designer, which is the cover I use with most people. Strippers make money, right?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,834 Times in 2,664 Posts

Default Re: What to tell new landlord?

There are a lot of threads already on here about this, so maybe run or a search or just browse through Dollar Den to get a better idea of your options.

Some landlords are against strippers because of the stereotypes, so disclosing can work against you. Others don't care what you do as long as you have references/good credit/offer enough cash upfront.

Personally, I'd go with graphic designer to avoid the potential backlash of a landlord who doesn't agree with stripping. Graphic designers make money without the negative connotation. If they're not sold, generally offering to pay x amount of months upfront (rather than just the typical first and last) will often make it a non-issue.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shanna dior For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,860 Times in 1,258 Posts

I'd be too afraid of getting robbed to say that I'm a stripper. Words spread around fast and people usually know we carry a good amount of cash with us.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to xStacey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,509 Times in 1,291 Posts

Graphic designer with copy of drivers license And 3-4 weeks of bank deposits in hand to show income equal to 3-4 times the rent is what I'd recommend.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carmen_b For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,314 Times in 1,569 Posts

With the last three apartments I rented on my own, I was honest and it didn't affect me, but those apartments were run by individual landlords-not real estate management places which want all kind of tax statements and have ridiculous standards for the self employed. I phrased it like "professional pole dancer" which sounds a little better than "stripper." Kinda puts an image in their minds of you doing awesome pole tricks and having wads of cash thrown at you.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wednesday86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,566 Times in 4,646 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical
    Blog Entries

those apartments were run by individual landlords-not real estate management places which want all kind of tax statements and have ridiculous standards for the self employed
    Indeed, income 'verification' requirements for the self-employed is becoming an increasing issue ... particularly with 'corporate' landlords. They essentially treat an apartment lease as a 'loan' ... i.e. the 'buyer' putting down say 2 * $1000 ( or whatever monthly rent amount ) as a 'down payment', with the corporate landlord then 'lending' 10 * $1000 ( or whatever ) i.e. a year's worth of rent money to the lessee, to be repaid via equal monthly payments over the one year term of the 'loan'. As such, the 'corporate' landlords want to see the same sort of income 'verification' documents that other types of lenders do from self-employed persons ... i.e. two years worth of tax returns confirming average monthly income levels, bank statements showing regular deposits being made, etc. Also, like other lenders, 'corporate' landlords will sometimes reduce their expectations in exchange for a bigger 'down payment' i.e paying 4-6 months rent in advance as opposed to the standard 2.

Where a corporate landlord is concerned, do NOT outright tell them that you work as a 'stripper'. This is virtually guaranteed to cause the corporate landlord to envision possible 'illegal' activities in their apartment building, etc. Alternately, it exposes you to being perceived as an 'easy mark' by other tenants, by apartment building maintenance staff, etc. After all, many people have the impression that a 'stripper' subjected to a robbery will be reluctant to report the theft to LE ... because doing so would also raise questions about where she works, about how much 'stripper' income she has ( or has not ) reported and paid taxes on in the past, etc.
    Last edited by Melonie; 04-17-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

"I work in a bar" then give the corporate name on the application.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Addison Lynne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,552 Times in 3,381 Posts

No don't say stripper. Say graphic designer who also sells EBay & Scentsy, etc. Say your husband makes the money and wear a couple rings to sell the idea of having a man around. Landlords more often than not will f*ck with you one way or the other & having other people in the picture makes you safer.
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 861 Posts

Your FICO outranks most anything else - if you have a good FICO and you're a graphic designer you'll be fine.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnuffleUffleGrass View Post
    No don't say stripper. Say graphic designer who also sells EBay & Scentsy, etc. Say your husband makes the money and wear a couple rings to sell the idea of having a man around. Landlords more often than not will f*ck with you one way or the other & having other people in the picture makes you safer.
    That would be great except I don't have a man around at all. I'm single. And I've never made much money as a graphic designer, nor do I have a good income history even in the past few months.

Featured Member EastCoastDancer01's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,974 Times in 640 Posts

Definitely do not say that you are a stripper because in most cases, landlords will hold it against you in some way. A man landlord will see you as an easy target and may be a disgusting pervert about it. A woman landlord will be judgemental and possibly jealous and suspicious, especially if she is married. Once they know what you really do, they will be on to you. Plus, as someone mentioned before, word gets out pretty fast and since people know strippers carry lots of cash, you may be more vulnerable to being robbed. Say that you are a graphic designer but that you bartend or babysit on the side for extra cash.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to EastCoastDancer01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,942 Times in 5,326 Posts
    My Mood
    Hot

Ive been a renter for 30 years. I have never, ever told an apt. Manager/landlord I was a stripper. I always made up a self employed job, and had a friend's number at the ready in case they needed to verify it,.(which they never called).
    Having pristine credit was what mattered the most.
    When I worked a corporate job, it was easy obviously.
    Nobody needs to know.
    Even now that I dont have that good credit anymore, and also have 2 evictions, I STILL got into a room renting situation with old references.(once again, they never ccalled).

"NEVER CAST YOUR PEARLS BEFORE SWINE."

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glamourmilf For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glamourmilf View Post
    Ive been a renter for 30 years. I have never, ever told an apt. Manager/landlord I was a stripper. I always made up a self employed job, and had a friend's number at the ready in case they needed to verify it,.(which they never called).
    Having pristine credit was what mattered the most.
    When I worked a corporate job, it was easy obviously.
    Nobody needs to know.
    Even now that I dont have that good credit anymore, and also have 2 evictions, I STILL got into a room renting situation with old references.(once again, they never ccalled).
    Haha, you worked a corporate job and stripped on the side? That's awesome. I'd love to hear that story sometime!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zoezoebelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Just tell them that you're a self-employed graphic designer. I've never had trouble renting an apartment with my employment record. If you have good credit, the money down, tax returns and/or bank statement with a lot of cash in it then you'll have little trouble being approved. If anyone questions it, just offer to pay a few months down upfront.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lighthouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,042 Posts
    My Mood
    Relaxed

I'm always thinking up new stories to fudge when it comes to renting a place. I've learned the hard way to never ever tell them that you are a strippper, dancer, or anything relating to the sex industry. It only leads to judgement & usually works against you sadly. I will lie my ass off & say that I do graphic design, I get projects off elance.com & also work from my computer doing marketing. You can always print out recent bank statements OR past ones & just photoshop the numbers & dates if needed just to get a place asap.
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I always got an apartment saying I worked as a bartender or under the table or as I got older I said makeup artist for a burlesque club, all tips. As long as I showed them my deposits on my bank statement (I blacked out any withdrawls, company names, etc) and gave them 1st and last month rent I never had a problem. Most people think stripper= drugs, parties, orgies, etc

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TiffTiff For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 15,942 Times in 5,326 Posts
    My Mood
    Hot

Quote Originally Posted by zoezoebelle View Post
    Haha, you worked a corporate job and stripped on the side? That's awesome. I'd love to hear that story sometime!
    It was a trip for sure. I used to close a lot of sales by bringing my clients to the club. Everyone at work l new I danced. No big deal, prob. Because it was LA, and they don't call it lala land for nothing. I do have tons of great stories, as you can imagine. At the time, I actually thought it was quite normal. Go figure.
    It was only with my housing that I instinctively knew to be secretive.

"NEVER CAST YOUR PEARLS BEFORE SWINE."

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glamourmilf For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Glamourmilf View Post
    It was a trip for sure. I used to close a lot of sales by bringing my clients to the club. Everyone at work l new I danced. No big deal, prob. Because it was LA, and they don't call it lala land for nothing. I do have tons of great stories, as you can imagine. At the time, I actually thought it was quite normal. Go figure.
    It was only with my housing that I instinctively knew to be secretive.
    That's amazing!! xD You brought clients to your club? Rofl! I hope someday to be so bold. I'm finding it weird enough telling my friends.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 861 Posts

Zoe what happened? Is that ok to ask or do we just let threads fade here at SW

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Bahuba For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bahuba View Post
    Zoe what happened? Is that ok to ask or do we just let threads fade here at SW
    No clue, but I still haven't found a place yet. I've been telling the landlords that I work as a bartender and graphic designer, and when I meet potential roommates for house shares I usually tell them the truth. But so far most of the places I've viewed just aren't ideal. Either they're too tiny or really far from downtown, or I just don't like the roommates. The good news is, I have another month or two to find a place still.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to zoezoebelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,184 Times in 3,104 Posts

I've always just bs'd around it, saying things like "I'm an independent contractor, I work out of another business, cash income". It actually embarrasses the shit out of the leasing agents most of the time when they catch on. My last 2 apts have taken a letter from the club. Agreed that clean credit and rental history has a bigger impact though.

Also, using places that have a hard time renting out can be helpful. My current apt is in BFE and was really trying to fill units, so they were pretty lenient. Didn't verify with the club, didn't care that my old complex refused to release me from that lease. They just wanted my rent and knew I had a solid credit history, so they approved me.
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."
    - Lux ATL

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Ok so i gotta turn up the moronic drunk slut

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,518 Times in 1,319 Posts

I was completely honest with my most recent landlord. He was very pleasant and not at all creepy when I explained that I had no proof of income because I only earn cash as a stripper. It most likely helped that I told him I was working my way through a nearby well-respected university, because he told me he worked his way through engineering school as a busboy or something. He actually chose me over other applicants with better credit! He's really nice to me and asks me about my grades whenever I see him.

Prior to that, I told landlords that I was living off my GI Bill money, which was a total lie, even though I was in the Army. Maybe you could say that you won a settlement or you have a trust fund or something and build up a few bank statements as "proof."

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kaninchen For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,662 Times in 1,976 Posts

No! Don't tell the landlord that you are a stripper. Vanilla people associate strippers with drugs and prostitutes. I actually have a long time friend of the family who is a landlord. He was telling me just last week about some chick he had to evict because she was always causing problems with noise complaints from neighbors, complaints about the smell of pot coming from her place, multiple incidents of cops showing up, and had a habit of paying her rent late. He said that she was a stripper and that he decided that he won't ever rent to a stripper again. He made the blanket assumption that all strippers are irresponsible, loud, wild party animals. He has no idea what I did and do for a living. I sure as heck wasn't going to tell him. My current landlord was talking with my nosy neighbor downstairs and I overheard the nosy neighbor tell the landlord that she thinks I'm a stripper. The landlord said something along the lines of,"Nope, I'd never allow that kind of trash to live here." I'd stick with the graphic design cover.

Update: Oops, I just realized this is an old thread and that the OP more than likely found a cover story by now. D'oh! Whirlerz, I guess this can apply too. Maybe the person won't go as far as to ask what company specifically.
    Last edited by WendiStarr; 08-03-2017 at 07:00 PM.

42. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 14,787 Times in 7,706 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

No, I'd definitely never do this, as far as I'm concerned, giving any personal info out, no matter how trivial, is handing someone a stick to beat you with!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,529 Times in 1,419 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

I think it also depends where you live. When I danced I was a renter and I never had an issue. For one, I had great credit and one of the landlords (who is a total piece of shit but had a lot of properties) flat out told me he liked renting to strippers because they always paid on time and in cash.

I must say, there are only a handful of "liberal" cities like this I can think of off the top of my head.
    XoXo Gia
    Danielle Fishell (the Dish): "If the Super-Star thing doesn't work out, Gia makes a great stripper name"

46. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gia2608 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast