Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Thanks
    Thanked 17,377 Times in 5,805 Posts
    My Mood
    Cold

Default Re: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
    Heck, I NEED one of those!!! ))[/QUOTE]

Right? I need one too.
    Yesterday the gas company sent someone out to check on my gas heater, which is making a hissing sound.
    Just having a stranger in my home, made me very, very anxious.
    Anyhoo. After he left, I decided to go for a drive and get a Starbucks.
    Beautiful afternoon. Cold, crisp day.
    But, halfway through my drive, I needed to pee.
    Stopped at a Dollar Store, that I know is usually not crowded.
    Since I was there, I decided to quickly grab a couple of things that I needed.
    But......
    As SOON as I was in the middle of an aisle, a couple decides to come to my aisle, and split up. The wife went to one end, and the husband went to the other. Before I got boxed in, I quickly left.
    Sometimes I wonder if these are theives who are trying to read a credit card number through my purse.
    Just a thought. Because it happens too frequently.
    One time I was in a thrift store. In the middle of an empty aisle, looking through the clothes rack. I see this raggity looking woman make a beeline over to me, and tried to make conversation.
    There must have been 20 clothing racks, all lined up.
    Why did she do that?
    Back the fuck up!!!

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 603 Posts
    My Mood
    Stressed

Default Re: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Heck, I NEED one of those!!! ))
    My version is like the giant steel hamster balls they had on "American Gladiators."

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,777 Times in 2,686 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glamourmilf View Post
    Okay. I'm officially done with going out.
    Yep. You heard it first here folks.
    It's happened.
    I've reached my breaking point.
    Yesterday was the last straw.
    1. Atm. Nobody in the bank parking lot. Until I get there. Some dude with a big truck decides to pull up RIGHT next to me and park. OMG! You have a million other open parking spaces!
    2. CVS. I went in to get 2 things. But, it becomes a game of 'dodge em' just to be in an aisle without someone wanting to suddenly be in there too. As SOON as I get to the checkout counter, the magazine refill lady decides THAT'S the time she MUST start filling the rack. That's the only check out open. She can't fill the 4 other racks over THERE?? ARGH! She apologized, but too late.
    3. Supermarket. Dead as a door nail. But, as SOON as I go in and start shopping, suddenly people appear. Naturally they come over to whatever I'm looking at, and need to have it too.
    4. Drive thru Starbucks. As SOON as I get there, a long line of cars appear and sit behind me.
    5. Traffic. Don't get me started on how many drivers just HAVE to get ahead of me, or crowd me in some way.
    I'm DONE!
    All I can say, is thank God I live in a time where home delivery is an easy option. And that I work from home.
    Because I'm not going to deal with people encroaching on my space anymore.
    So sad that it has come to this.
    But, my sanity and patience have​ dwindled down to nothing.
    *Edit to add: This encroaching starts whenever I go to my car. It seems that all the work trucks and other tenants friends like to park in back of me ( even though I have an assigned spot). They make it difficult to back out, even though there's tons of street parking.
    Plus, all the do nothing neighbors want to stop me to talk. I had to put the cabash on that, shortly after I moved in here.
    Can anyone else relate?Attachment 50950
    Attachment 50951
    Have you ever tried shopping late at night? There's a Walmart and supermarket near me that are open 24 hours. I usually go late at night to avoid the lines and traffic, and there are usually very few or no other people in the store. I can park right out front, go in, grab what I need, checkout, and go home.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold

Thank You.
    I used to do that when I lived in LA.
    But, I live in a senior town now. So, needless to say, everything closes very early. Like 8 p.m. lol!
    There are a couple that stay open until 11. I don't feel safe being out then. There's no lights out here at night.
    I know, I'm being such a girl. Lol!
    A city girl, at that.
    It is what it is.
    That's why I'm glad that home delivery is an option.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed

My psychiatrist moved to a home office. It's a little awkward because it's in a gated community and I have to go through like five traffic circles to get there. I hate when I have to yield and there is someone behind me because I'm a super-cautious driver and I'm not pulling out into oncoming traffic unless I'm sure it's clear, but some dick is going to honk at me anyway.

And my doctor's dog died. She was a tiny thing, and would often sleep in her bed during appointments. The dog was one of the reasons I went with this doctor, when I was in a real non-trusting place with psychiatrists.

Also, I got a haircut today and finally got someone who didn't want to chat throughout.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,706 Times in 1,991 Posts
    My Mood
    Sad

Must be trend, my previous therapist worked out of her house too.
    "Last night I told you numerous times I loved you.....I just didn't say it out loud." - JBG2009

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Elektra Luxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold

^^Most likely to cut down on office space rent.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Glamourmilf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,228 Times in 446 Posts
    My Mood
    Tired

Yesterday, i had to go get a tooth pulled and i got to the office and at first the waiting room was quiet. (my bf dropped me off so i was by myself which it's benn forever since ive had to be by myself in a public setting) the waiting room filled up so fast, it was so hot in there. i started to have a panic attack , felt like i couldnt breathe and i left the room and went outside just so i could feel like i could breathe. i was able to pull myself together jut enough so i wouldnt go into a full blown panic attack. But god! i felt so trapped ! It was horrible. i've never been like that in a waiting room setting before and i was doing so good handling my anxiety before that happened im so embarrassed i can't even function properly in public. my hands started shaking while i was sitting in the chair once i got back to the dentist office. i saw my bf leave the parking lot and i texted him like omg dont leave me where are you going ? LOL he was like you're fine im just going to the gas station i can't even tell you what i was anxious about. the dentist doesnt scare me at all . i think i just felt like i was suffocating bc of how hot it was in that office and i was alone.
    Your body is your temple.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Violethollywood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,706 Times in 1,991 Posts
    My Mood
    Sad

^^^
    I've experienced this too the same degree. Something completely benign will trigger a fear to run for you life, but the rational part of your brain is also telling you that you are not in danger. There are no wild animals or axe wielding psychos trying to kill you, but your brain told your body to give you a huge dose of adrenaline to escape whatever is trying to kill you, the caveman fight or flight instinct that kept our ancestors alive.

I've seen many therapists and taken many drugs to help with panic attacks or PTSD, but if you're anything like me, the thing that helped me the most is...time. I haven't had a full blown panic attack for maybe 2 years. It gets better. They never completely go away, but you learn ways to manage them and you hardly notice them after a while. *Hugs*
    Last edited by Elektra Luxx; Yesterday at 07:40 AM.
    "Last night I told you numerous times I loved you.....I just didn't say it out loud." - JBG2009

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elektra Luxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold

^^ I've had this happen if it's too hot or crowded​, or if the room is too bright.
    I was at one of my grief groups a few weeks ago.
    It's held in this cozy room, with couches and lots of pillows.
    So great, because there's usually no more than 3 or 4 ladies that attend.
    But, that night over 12 people decided to show up.
    I seriously couldn't breathe!
    The stupid moderator wouldn't listen to those of us that wanted for there to be just candlelight.
    She turned the overhead lights on very bright. The temperature got so hot.
    Considering the subject that was being shared, I thought that was very uncool of her. I mean, people sharing their grief stories, crying, etc.
    I haven't been back.
    I really try not to put myself in those situations anymore.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Glamourmilf For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Elektra Luxx View Post
    ^^^
    Something completely benign will trigger a fear to run for you life, but the rational part of your brain is also telling you that you are not in danger.
    SO true. I was entering the freeway one night when it was dark and pouring. Visibility was very poor. There were semis ahead and to the left of me. Then my car started to hydroplane. But I had no anxiety at all. In fact, I was more interested in the song playing on the radio (Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Californication." )

Another time, I had a legit cancer scare. Didn't worry too much about it.

BUT I can rattle off a list of everyday situations that, for no logical reason, freak me out, like making a phone call or having to make small talk with someone at Safeway. I will tell my brain how irrational it's being, but it just doesn't work.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cold

Big mistake going to Trader Joe's and bed bath and beyond at noon. I needed a few things, because the rain is coming. I needed to go to the bank, so, off I went.
    I had a serious meltdown.
    My stomach immediately started churning.
    Uh,oh.
    The checker at Trader Joes was chatty and seemed to bag my groceries at slow speed.
    I made it home just in time.
    Ugh!
    Snowbirds take over this town from Nov-May.
    "Snowbirds go home!!"

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112