Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 806 Posts
    My Mood
    Crappy

Default Re: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

^^^
    Thanks. I wanted to try this at Dick's Sporting Goods, but automatically shifted back into Polite Mode. Also, the store was usually near-absent of staff.

I am not a physically imposing person, which is a hinderance. If I looked like Ray Donovan, I think people would listen to me.

My doc was pushing the idea of Toastmasters, but the local group is full of people I already don't like. There are a few more groups within driving range, but they are held at the most inconvenient times possible. A couple have Facebook pages, which really didn't encourage me.

I hate when my post is at the top of a page.
    Last edited by R-209; 12-22-2019 at 04:09 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

ugh--I was doing well with my anxiety and now I am not
    I wish things would just fall into place perfectly some days
    My panic attacks are back and I want to cry some days
    I am trying to handle things in order-do this, then take care of that
    I've been listening to Buddhist chants on youtube-it helps and I am trying to remember to eat regular meals.
    I know I will be ok and it will pass-it's hard to function and hold it together.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jassi For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

"I'm terribly lonely and want so much to have friends and maybe a relationship."

"I avoid human contact at all costs."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 815 Posts
    My Mood
    Innocent

I have anxiety in vehicles and try my best to overcome the fear.
    Just being in a car and on the road makes me nauseous.
    This makes socializing difficult..

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

^^ Me too, partly because I had no driving instruction as a kid and also my crippling anxiety. Back then, I was afraid of driving on the freeway (merging and exiting mostly) so I took the much slower roads to school. It's kind of the opposite now. I have to be on high alert to avoid getting hit every time I go to Safeway.

Also, they just put a roundabout right by my bank and I'm honestly not certain how it works.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,048 Times in 815 Posts
    My Mood
    Innocent

Quote Originally Posted by R-209 View Post
    ^^ Me too, partly because I had no driving instruction as a kid and also my crippling anxiety. It's kind of the opposite now. Also, they just put a roundabout right by my bank and I'm honestly not certain how it works.
    Yeah I don't understand much about roundabouts, only encountered twice and it wasn't too bad besides there being other cars.
    What gets my anxiety though every time, is when cars are exiting out of plazas and have a stop sign, but move before your have passed or edge all the way out that they obstruct traffic in that lane.
    I have had a few dimwitted drivers not paying attention, nearly hit my passenger door from exiting too soon, because they are too busy sipping down on their drinks and looking down at their phones.
    Last edited by BambiCutie; 07-20-2020 at 05:58 PM.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

I also hate turning right on a red light. The cars are always spaced so that it's just not safe enough to go. If it takes a long time, I feel very pressured, like I have to turn right now. Then cars start to line up behind me and visibility is poor and I need to get into the left lane right away...

ETA: There's something called a "diverging diamond interchange" going in nearby. WTF?!
    Last edited by R-209; 07-23-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 17,688 Times in 5,263 Posts

I am hating the modern form of online courses. I badly miss the days of online courses when we could simply log in at our convenience, complete the work, and that was it. Now everything is interactive. I get that most people are social creatures and want things to be more interactive but geez. I don't like this whole required to be on cam on Zoom at a set time, 8 hours a day, trivia games, different instructors randomly popping up and asking questions, classmates sending messages through Telegram all day and night, etc. This is too much. Enough peopling!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,816 Times in 3,958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R-209 View Post
    "I'm terribly lonely and want so much to have friends and maybe a relationship."

"I avoid human contact at all costs."
    Have you ever tried any self-help books, like, "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie?

If you have Kindle, it's only $0.99

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Frien.../dp/0671027034

14. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    Have you ever tried any self-help books, like, "How to Win Friends & Influence People" by Dale Carnegie?

If you have Kindle, it's only $0.99

https://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Frien.../dp/0671027034
    I have a big stack of books, including that one, that I collected for my failed support group. I made it because I was so dissatisfied with the group I was in at the time. I would actually love to find a good group, since people are obviously going to be more understanding.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 984 Posts

Sometimes I, but not always. Sometimes i'm brave.

If you suffer social anxiety, always remember that they do, too.

Whenever i post in Life Support, i always try to be really supportive. You never know, you might just save someone. Women are more likely to listen to Women, but you never know, they just might listen to me, too.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

I think face-to-face conversation may actually be the least anxiety-inducing form of communication.

Or maybe e-mail.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Has anyone tried Propranolol? I've heard it's good for social anxiety.

Thanks

I know how to adapt to the situation, but I also have such states. This is my lifestyle. I do not know what to say

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

I hate hate HATE making phone calls.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

One advantage to watching all this coverage is noticing how often anchors stumble over their words. These are professionals who went to school for years and have been on the air for years or even decades. Their entire career is looking into a camera and speaking directly to thousands/millions of people.

So I try not to feel bad when I can't get a word out when I'm talking to my doctor's office or tech support.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Superman has a son with social anxiety disorder. They used the actual term on the show.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415