Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 746 Posts
    My Mood
    Crappy

Default Re: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post
    The way people saunter around the grocery store, block aisles, blah blah, makes me want to scream.
    I can't stand this! I try to be polite and say "Excuse me," but they won't budge. THERE IS A STARBUCKS INSIDE THE STORE! Go have your damn conversation there.

Quote Originally Posted by Elektra Luxx View Post
    I didn't know you could order groceries? That's great.
    Amazon Prime is pretty great for certain non perishables. I just ordered cat food. I imagine in a few years, their drones will be able to deliver anything. I can't believe I just typed that.

Oh, and who loves the self-checkout lanes?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,545 Times in 1,321 Posts

Default Re: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Quote Originally Posted by R-209 View Post
    Oh, and who loves the self-checkout lanes?
    I love self-checkout too, except when everyone in line behind me is mad because I'm that bitch paying with all $1s. It's not my fault the machine takes forever to process them though!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kaninchen For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 595 Posts
    My Mood
    Pensive

I hate the supermarket too but if I started having my shopping delivered it would be the nail in the coffin for me, that's often the only thing that forces me outside when I'm feeling extra hermit-like and can't/won't order food in.

I just cancelled a hair appointment for today cause I can't face the small talk. I have been anxious about it since yesterday, it's ridiculous but getting hair done is one of the worst things for me, I think because you are stuck in the chair and have that forced interaction (with someone who is also in a position of power, they have control of how your hair turns out). At least in shops you are free to wander away from all other humans if you need to.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JessaJade For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Quote Originally Posted by Glamourmilf View Post
    I loved ordering groceries online! Not in the budget anymore, but Im looking forward to the day I can order home delivery again.
    Have you compared prices between the store and Amazon? A lot of what I order is MUCH cheaper. They did raise the fee for Prime, but I'm finding that the savings covers that pretty quickly. Example: I needed a heavy-duty cat litter scoop, which was $18 at PetSmart, but just a little over $10 on Amazon. And that included free two-day shipping (although if you opt for "no rush" shipping, they'll give you credit toward music or e-books). Then there's all the movies/TV/music that are included and I am going to stop now because I'm sounding like a total shill...

Quote Originally Posted by JessaJade View Post
    I just cancelled a hair appointment for today cause I can't face the small talk. I have been anxious about it since yesterday, it's ridiculous but getting hair done is one of the worst things for me, I think because you are stuck in the chair and have that forced interaction (with someone who is also in a position of power, they have control of how your hair turns out).
    Haircuts are the worst. I always put it off as long as possible, even though I can't stand it when my hair gets too long. I might have another two weeks before I have to go in again. I seem to get the chatty stylist every time. My hairstyle is so simple; I've considered learning to cut it myself. I've even thought of shaving my head, but I don't think I'm one of those guys who can pull that look off.

I wish there was such a thing as an everlasting haircut.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,133 Times in 640 Posts

I'm extremely, horribly introverted and, to be quite blunt, most people piss me off if I have to deal with them for any length of time. It's been a LOT worse since my dad died, so I've been closing myself off a lot. At one point, I'd gotten so bad that I changed my phone number and refused to give it to anyone but my mom and my best friend. I just got tired of dealing with other people's petty bullshit and all of the other assholish stuff people do.

I took up a lot of solo hobbies, like acrylic painting and started making my own dubstep, just as an excuse to be left alone. I stopped going on dates, because nobody made it past two before they inevitably wanted to push me into a committed relationship and I balked at having to spend even more time with them. I started grocery shopping at 3 am, after I found a 24 hour grocery store. I pretend that I don't speak English, so people don't try to approach me. If I don't have something to do outside, I shut myself in with my animals and bury myself in Ableton or paint.

I finally met someone I actually feel comfortable with, but that's because he's a lot like me and we get eachother.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kirakonstantin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,484 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Quote Originally Posted by kirakonstantin View Post
    I'm extremely, horribly introverted and, to be quite blunt, most people piss me off if I have to deal with them for any length of time. It's been a LOT worse since my dad died, so I've been closing myself off a lot. At one point, I'd gotten so bad that I changed my phone number and refused to give it to anyone but my mom and my best friend. I just got tired of dealing with other people's petty bullshit and all of the other assholish stuff people do.

I took up a lot of solo hobbies, like acrylic painting and started making my own dubstep, just as an excuse to be left alone. I stopped going on dates, because nobody made it past two before they inevitably wanted to push me into a committed relationship and I balked at having to spend even more time with them. I started grocery shopping at 3 am, after I found a 24 hour grocery store. I pretend that I don't speak English, so people don't try to approach me. If I don't have something to do outside, I shut myself in with my animals and bury myself in Ableton or paint.

I finally met someone I actually feel comfortable with, but that's because he's a lot like me and we get eachother.
    ^ That's awesome girl! I hope I end up finding someone as cool as your new lover <3
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,786 Times in 3,728 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

After reading this thread, I went in search of grocery delivery in my area... I actually found a service and I'm totally gonna try it out when I get home from vacation. I loathe grocery shopping.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,469 Times in 2,039 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by Selina M View Post

I think I'm coming out of my anti-social phase. I'd like to. It's been getting painfully negative, hating people all the time.
    A great thing to do at those times is spend time with children, old folks, families, they make you reconnect with hope in humanity. Get out into nature and feel the breeze, hear the birds, etc. Go to an artistic place like an art gallery, folk performance, ethnic fair where you can learn new things eat new food and see the world through a child's eyes. It's like the fountain of youth. It's great to see guys doing things like laugh with their children or teaching people instead of being controlling douche bags.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Tired

Unfortunately it's usually important to fight those types of feelings. I didn't and ended up developing agoraphobia. Now I haven't left my house more than a dozen times in the last 10 months. The longer you wait to feel better without making a constant effort to push through the anxiety, the harder it becomes to start working on it later. I wish I'd been able to just stop this when it started months ago, now my life is basically in shambles.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlicexEden For This Useful Post:

Veteran Member ~*SwanPrincess*~'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 389 Posts

I can relate to all of this. I feel like my hermit tendencies get worse and worse the older I get. My great grandfather and great aunt both had agoraphobia and I feel like it's probably just a matter of time before I get that way too
    I know it's probably better to push myself through all the uncomfortable feelings, but I feel like every time I leave the house, everything that happens just makes me want to get back to my house ASAP.
    I am supposed to go to a pool party with my bf tomorrow and am definitely going to fake sick so I don't have to go. Things like that are my worst nightmare.
    I have always been quiet and introverted, but I just can't help but wonder if somehow our jobs add to all this in some way...

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ~*SwanPrincess*~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,186 Times in 1,978 Posts
    My Mood
    Yeehaw

I have photoshoots tomorrow and need the money, so not looking forward to it. It's gonna take me all of Sunday to recover, God help me if someone gets handsy.
    Twitter:
    Cam profile: *Fave me, it's good for my ego
    General Pics:
    "Experience is a brutal teacher, but you learn. My God, do you learn!"-C.S. Lewis
    Quote Originally Posted by xStacey View Post
    Close contact, for an hour, for $40? And I guess I'll have to make conversation with them too?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SweetJulia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,545 Times in 1,321 Posts

You know you're an introvert when you call a pizza place for delivery and hang up when they answer.

(Although fortunately I'm not too ridiculous because I did successfully call back and order my damn pizza like a normal adult!)

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kaninchen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,484 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

well since I've moved into my shared room living situation, it has been nicer than I thought it would be bc my roomie is hardly ever in the room with me & I've had the entire apt to myself for the past 3 days yipppe She prob thinks I'm some weird hermit that never leaves the room haha I don't care, I feel comfy & safe in here. Yesterday I went out to get a few things at the store & that was def tolling. I hate hate having to interact with people:/
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 540 Posts

I've always been a hermit in my regular life, but I crave human interaction. I am at a point when I am at the club, I don't want to go back home. I don't have any friends or someone to chill with at the strip club, I just stay polite but keep to myself. But I feel so much more at home in the club than my own home. Same as when I am at the gym, I want to stay at the gym forever. Then once I get home, I feel this dreadful silence and begin thinking about the club or the gym again, even though I know I really need to rest. I only come home when my feet starts hurting on the heels, or when I really can't lift anymore at the gym. All I need home for is to cook a proper meal for myself, sleep, and do art stuff (which is very lonely in itself cuz I don't share it with anyone). I have no friends, or at least no one I talk to regularly. I'll probably end up like Joyce Vincent, dead in her flat for 3 years without anyone noticing. With Christmas presents wrapped up for my nonexistent friends. And my art laying somewhere in the corner like a crappier Henry Darger. :p

Weekly earning target: $1000
    Saving for: school, traveling, rainy day fund

Quote Originally Posted by charlie61 View Post
    What would "future you" want you to do right now?

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cashmere Star For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm an introvert, and I've gone through periods where I didn't leave the house/yard for 6 weeks. This was when I was living at home and had a big yard and lots of entertainment and my mom went out to get all the necessities.

My best advice is to take baby steps. Go out for a walk for 15 minutes. The more you stay in, the worse it gets.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raven88 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,469 Times in 2,039 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

I think you struck a nerve OP so I've stickied this thread. Let's keep it going everybody!! :

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,372 Times in 1,573 Posts

i'm going through this right now.....I'm really enjoying dancing again actually but it's like overdosing on social interaction after a few days, so on my days off I don't want to see anyone, or talk to anyone or leave my house...I don't even want to talk on the phone with my husband. I'll literally stay inside for days at a time after working a lot. I finally got out today and had my nails done. Luckily the lady was chatting with her buddies in vietnamese more than with me and I loved it. I just got to sit there and let her do her thing. She is now my favorite nail tech of all time. I cannot deal with small talk outside of work. It feels like I'm working/entertaining for free.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wednesday86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,372 Times in 1,573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaninchen View Post
    You know you're an introvert when you call a pizza place for delivery and hang up when they answer.

(Although fortunately I'm not too ridiculous because I did successfully call back and order my damn pizza like a normal adult!)

I love places that let you order onlne! I just found a good chinese place by me where I can order and pay online and it's like the heavens parted! I don't order out much but that place is all kindsa bookmarked on my browser for days I don't feel like cooking. Why can't all delivery places have that?!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wednesday86 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,127 Times in 1,638 Posts

^ I don't think you can just snap out of it. I think its about putting small things into place into your life that support your spiritual wellbeing. I would expand but my hubbie just got home and we are about to have a really big talk
    Tiny tweaks----->BIG CHANGES

Quote Originally Posted by Kirakonstantin View Post
    More fear-mongering? Really? Yes, this is not the 1990's anymore. Yes, things are changing. Either dance or don't. Freaking out and sowing fear isn't going to help anyone.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flickdreams For This Useful Post:

Thanks

deleted
    Last edited by ImmoralAllure; 05-03-2016 at 11:25 AM.

It's not how much you earn, it's how much you save!

40. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ImmoralAllure For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

So I've become rather dissatisfied with the support group I go to and somehow ended up starting my own. I'm not sure how it happened, exactly. I was just discussing mental health issues on my tiny hometown's FB page (this itself was pretty anxiety-inducing), and other people were actually interested and now it's becoming a Real Thing. I'm getting PMs from people asking when it's going to be and what it's going to be like. People want to meet with me to help set it up. My social anxiety is triggered just by exchanging a few sentences with people on Facebook! It's all a little overwhelming.

But a little exciting, too.

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

^^ Thanks! But it's not a FB group, it's in real life! That ramps up the anxiety level just a bit. I hope nobody expects me to know what I'm doing!

44. The Following User Says Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,606 Times in 6,568 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by R-209 View Post
    ^^ Thanks! But it's not a FB group, it's in real life! That ramps up the anxiety level just a bit. I hope nobody expects me to know what I'm doing!
    Oh geez! I guess I read that wrong. My heart is racing, just thinking of having to do that!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

I can totaly relate, of coursr.
    I signed up to attend a meetup group for HSP's (highly sensitive prople), which is held once per month.
    Ive yet to go to them because the drive alone made me so anxious that I just can't go.
    Sometimes you just need to take a few deep breaths and just kind of mentally dissipate the negative thoughts in your mind that come up when you think about situations like this. It's something I do with my clients, and it works pretty well.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RelaxationTechniques For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

^^^ It's not the actual meeting that gives me anxiety, it's this insane bumper to bumper traffic I have to deal with just to get there. It takes over an hour, and after 2 bad car accidents, and therapy, a few deep breaths just doesn't make it any easier.
    Attachment 42141
    Yeah, deep breaths won't help with that kind of a traffic problem unfortunately. Do you still do any kind of therapy?

49. The Following User Says Thank You to RelaxationTechniques For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast