Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 746 Posts
    My Mood
    Crappy

Default Re: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

Actually had someone reach out to me on FB, wanting to discuss the upcoming meeting. We met at the new Starbucks in my little town, and it occurred to me that I couldn't recall actually being inside a Starbucks before. Chatting one-on-one with a complete stranger about an extremely important matter was a bit unnerving, but I think it went well for the most part. It was good to know there was at least one person who was committed to this.

The really awkward part was deciding when and how to end the conversation. I've always been terrible at that.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Default Re: Am I THE only one that has turned into a hermit & suffers social anxiety?

It's just a few hours away now. I'm not super anxious about it, which is kind of weird. Why aren't I more anxious? Not sure what to expect, not sure how many people are going to show. I think I'll be satisfied if I get at least three. I thought about wearing a tie, but decided that might make people think I'm some kind of authority figure. I came up with the idea and made all the arrangements, but I'm just a guy.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

I live in an small apartment with my cat.
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,464 Times in 2,501 Posts
    My Mood
    Amazed

Just be yourself and you'll do fine. Don't ask yes or no questions. Really listen the what the person is saying and ask questions regarding what they said, but phrase it so that they will open up.
    Last edited by Elektra Luxx; 07-22-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: correction

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elektra Luxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,545 Times in 1,321 Posts

edited
    Last edited by kaninchen; 07-22-2015 at 07:24 PM.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Quote Originally Posted by Elektra Luxx View Post
    Just be yourself and you'll do fine. Don't ask yes or no questions. Really listen the what the person is saying and ask questions regarding what they said, but phrase it so that they will open up.
    Thanks, Elektra! It actually went pretty well for a beginning. Everyone is enthusiastic about continuing.

If it works out, I'm going to start calling myself a "community organizer."

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,485 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Since I've come down with this weird "virus" BS I've gotten really comfy with not going to work & just sleeping day in & day out. I have nothing saved & really need to switch clubs since mine is deader than hell these days with no real potential. Anybody else ever get a little too cozy for a week or more of just hiding & vacationing from life?
    "Don't go mistaking paradise for a pair of long legs"

"Respect is a dying art"

"Philosophy is the talk on a cereal box"

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xxxGothBarbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This thread definitely resonates with me. I'm still in recovery from my own agoraphobia, which manifested in what I know now to be a classic manner- bad thing/s happen/s, you avoid the situations/people/objects that are triggering anxiety related to the trauma, and gradually, that becomes everything outside your house. My bubble got smaller and smaller, because my brain had to deal with the fact that there are a bunch of things out in the world that I can't control, and that's scary. I needed several months just to get it through my head that while there are plenty of hazards to leaving the house, there are plenty of safe/ beneficial things, too. I couldn't go straight to bunnies and rainbows, though. I had help getting there, but the thing that popped the agoraphobia bubble for me (so that I could start practicing going out, which is what really changed things) was thinking about all the innocuous, neutral things in the world. One at a time. When you bring math into it, there are many more innocuous and/or beneficial experiences to be had outside my house than there are dangerous ones. I'm still working on my mental health (it's a one day at a time struggle), but I can happily report that I experience less discomfort going outside now than I did a year ago, much less two or three years ago. It has also helped to set goals with my therapist that she can help hold me accountable for accomplishing/working on. It's especially satisfying when I'm rambling about something in therapy, and she flips through my file for my goals, and says that it isn't on there, so it shouldn't be a huge concern, and that as per my own goal-setting, I'm a success, because I AM getting out of the house a lot more frequently than I was before.
    Last edited by RedMeg; 07-23-2015 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Weird autocorrect typo

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedMeg For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Well, . I go to make the arrangements for the second meeting and the community center tells me they changed their mind about waiving the rental fee for the room. Their excuse was that we're not an official organization, like AA. I already told them that as I was filling out the paperwork in their office, and they said we still qualified for a free room. The staffer actually checked off that box on the form herself. This was about four weeks before the first meeting, as it took a while to coordinate everyone's schedules through Facebook, so they had plenty of time to tell me that they were going back on their word. I suspect they were actually afraid of having "those kind of people" in their room.

The woman from the center I talked to on the phone was pretty vile. Not only was she not the least bit apologetic, she was indignant that we weren't charged for the sole meeting we had. We were no different than someone renting the room for a birthday party, she said. They want about fifty bucks per meeting, by the way, for a mental health support group in a tiny town that doesn't have anywhere else for people to go, which is why I started the thing in the first place! I tried to explain to this woman that the members of the group are dealing with serious issues. One lady who came lost a child to suicide just a few months ago. I told her that the center was breaking its promise to this group, and that finding a new location would be difficult. She suggested we just meet at a restaurant. Yes, the local Denny's is the perfect place to openly discuss the most intensely personal issues imaginable.

So then, I am now again tasked with going out by myself to find a new venue. This is rather difficult with the social anxiety thing. I'm going to have to meet with people, explain the purpose of the group, and beg for a free room. All this after I thought I had everything sewn up so nicely.

I wish I was one of those brash, confrontational types who can get in someone's face, say exactly what they think of them, and not worry about looking like a madman or hurting the feelings of the person who is being horrible. I don't think I could even bring myself to leave a nasty note on their Facebook page...

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Does anyone else find it more difficult to talk to someone over the phone than in person?

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,786 Times in 3,728 Posts
    My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by R-209 View Post
    Does anyone else find it more difficult to talk to someone over the phone than in person?
    Definitely. You can't read body language over the phone, which makes up a large part of communication.

I also feel like these days, people are never JUST on the phone with you. They're always doing something else, but you can't really tell what or if they're actually paying attention to you. It makes me irritated and anxious.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,471 Times in 2,039 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Sunset View Post
    Definitely. You can't read body language over the phone, which makes up a large part of communication.

I also feel like these days, people are never JUST on the phone with you. They're always doing something else, but you can't really tell what or if they're actually paying attention to you. It makes me irritated and anxious.
    YESSSS! That makes me crazy. Just be present in the moment instead of texting, watching this or shuffling through that.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

Found a new venue for my group! It's at a church a literal stone's throw from the accursed community center. The pastor called me up last night and wanted to show me around and go over some details. Eep. I'm not a religious person, but I did go to this same church for a while, like a hundred years ago. The community center was actually my old primary school, which was weird enough (I am thankful that we didn't end up in my old high school). The pastor was very down to earth, although I still get flustered with one-on-one conversations.

Example:

"Hi, Ryan. I'm Pastor Jane*."
    "Hello. I'm Ryan." Dammit!

Then she gives me the combination to the door. Just like that. I didn't even have to sign anything. Compare this to those jackals who wanted to charge me a $25 "locking fee" per meeting to have one of their henchmen lock the door after the meeting. The door locks automatically!

A few other members of the group dropped by to see the new meeting place. They were all complimenting me and calling me "the leader," which makes me very nervous as I have no leadership skills. Our next official meeting is Wednesday, and I will have to try and fake it.

*not her real name!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Found a new venue for my group! It's at a church a literal stone's throw from the accursed community center. The pastor called me up last night and wanted to show me around and go over some details. Eep. I'm not a religious person, but I did go to this same church for a while, like a hundred years ago. The community center was actually my old primary school, which was weird enough (I am thankful that we didn't end up in my old high school). The pastor was very down to earth, although I still get flustered with one-on-one conversations.

Example:

Then she gives me the combination to the door. Just like that. I didn't even have to sign anything. Compare this to those jackals who wanted to charge me a $25 "locking fee" per meeting to have one of their henchmen lock the door after the meeting. The door locks automatically!

A few other members of the group dropped by to see the new meeting place. They were all complimenting me and calling me "the leader," which makes me very nervous as I have no leadership skills. Our next official meeting is Wednesday, and I will have to try and fake it.

*not her real name!
    Everyone isn't paranoid or hateful toward people grappling with anxiety. Those people who reneged on their deal with you were terrible jerks.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    In Love

Example:

*not her real name!
    Everyone isn't paranoid or hateful toward people grappling with anxiety. Those people who reneged on their deal with you were terrible jerks.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,606 Times in 6,568 Posts
    My Mood
    Happy

Had to run a bunch of errands yesterday that left me with extreme anxiety, and sadness because of it.
    my first errand was to get copies made at a random print shop. Stupid owner had his toddler crawling around. she came right over to me and started pulling at the hem of my dress, and starting kicking my legs! She was screaming for attention. Like, piss off! Keep your kid at home!
    2nd errand was to return something at walmart, and get a money order while there. OMG!! The line was soo long, and near the entrance of the store, so there was all this commotion going on. plus, they only had 2 workers at the desk, instead of the usual 3.
    I didn't feel so alone in my anxiety, when the girl in line in front of me turned to sigh and say that she needs to take 5 Xanax just to go to walmart. I asked her if she had any extras? lol! tragic.
    Then it was off to the library to pick up a book on hold...Nice and quiet, but it's 100 degrees out, and getting in and out of the car in this heat, and heavy traffic, was really wiping me out also. not to mention all of the crazy drivers around me. I don't usually see that where I now live, so it was a bit unnerving.
    Last stop was the Market, and that just about put me over the edge!
    I was praying that my roommates wouldn't be home when I got back, because I just couldn't even speak at that point. Had to shower, and just sit quietly for like 2 hours just to regroup.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by ~*SwanPrincess*~ View Post
    Tomorrow I have to go to to some sort of beach party on a private beach with my boyfriend and his friends and their girlfriends. I'm fucking TERRIFIED.
    I've put off meeting his friends for like a year and meeting them and their girlfriends at a beach of all places adds to the stress of this whole thing.
    Im *sort of* trying to keep an open mind, but I have the worst time dealing with non industry women.
    I can't think about anything but this, and I've lost so much sleep over it. I'm praying it rains, or that something will happen today to make it so all this won't be able to happen tomorrow.
    My bf keeps telling me to "be normal" about it, but I'm not normal. Never ever have been, never will be.
    These girls have seen pics of me, and apparently they have a million questions why my boobs are so big. I need to think of a fake storyline for my life today I suppose.
    Sorry for my rambling, it's just nice to know some of yall can relate and understand stuff like this!
    Arghh! I'm feeling anxious just hearing that.
    I hate the beach, and all of those silly questions from civilians, so I feel for You.
    I would have at least 20 excuses not to attend, but that's me.
    I'm at the stage in my life where if I don't feel comfortable doing something, I just don't do it.
    A best friend mentioned the other day that we should drive into the city and go to a tranny bar. I'm like, "Not interested, I've done all of that when I was in my 20's. (while she was raising her kids and married).
    She called me jaded.
    No, I was a traveling dancer, and traveled in my off time too all over the world, so I have already done most of that crazy stuff.
    leave me in peace to be who I am.

Veteran Member ~*SwanPrincess*~'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 389 Posts

I feel like the biggest loser ever right now. I'm SO stressed about this I texted my boyfriend and said I can't go and said I'll never be the kind of girl who can handle stuff like that. I'm now crying my eyes out at work, which is usually my "safe place" ironically.
    People will never get that the outside appearance of a person doesn't always match what's going on in the inside. At the end of the day I really just want to be at home with my dogs.
    I love what you said Glam. "Leave me in peace to be who I am."

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~*SwanPrincess*~ For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

^^^Im sorry you are crying. I feel for You so much. It's like that feeling of being pulled to do something You really don't want to do to please the one You love, and keep the peacd. Torn between that and doing what is emotionally in your best interest.
    Maybe you can tell your bf that you will go, but might have to leave if it's too much for you.
    I had to do that not to long ago when my brother needed a ride to Costco. When it got too much, he already knew that I had to get out of there.

Thanks

I think one of the reasons my anxiety is extra bad about this situation is because once I get on the boat that is going to the private beach, there's no turning back until the 12 other people going are done for the day at the beach.
    So I can't like go for an hour or two and leave. I'll be forced to be there for most likely about eight hours.
    My bf is being really weird about me bringing my phone and/or a bag too.
    I've never liked boating on the ocean and I know for a fact I won't have a life jacket either.
    Even though I had a mental breakdown yesterday, I really love my bf and am going to try so hard to mask my anxiety and be "normal" today. At the very least, I'm a good actress and sometimes if I try to "play the role" of a stereotypical and normal girl instead of focusing on all the uncomfortable feelings, I can pull it off to be convincing.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~*SwanPrincess*~ For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by ~*SwanPrincess*~ View Post
    I think one of the reasons my anxiety is extra bad about this situation is because once I get on the boat that is going to the private beach, there's no turning back until the 12 other people going are done for the day at the beach.
    So I can't like go for an hour or two and leave. I'll be forced to be there for most likely about eight hours.
    My bf is being really weird about me bringing my phone and/or a bag too.
    I've never liked boating on the ocean and I know for a fact I won't have a life jacket either.
    Even though I had a mental breakdown yesterday, I really love my bf and am going to try so hard to mask my anxiety and be "normal" today. At the very least, I'm a good actress and sometimes if I try to "play the role" of a stereotypical and normal girl instead of focusing on all the uncomfortable feelings, I can pull it off to be convincing.
    There's a boat? You will be trapped at the beach for 8 hrs? No life jacket??
    Oh, hell no!!
    I wish You the best of luck if You go.
    There is no way in hell I would EVER do that!
    Drowning and suffocation are 2 of my fears. That trip has both.
    Make sure to check in and let us know how it went.
    You just might 'sail' through the entire day though, and actually have fun. For Your sake, I hope that's how it goes for You.

Thanks

I survived the day. At first I felt super out of place and was really quiet and felt awkward. They had beer once we got to the beach, so that kind of helped me be more a little more social.
    Almost immediately the other girls were asking question after question about my boobs, hair, teeth, tan, every damn thing.
    There were a ton of people there, so everyone spread out throughout the day. My bf was VERY good with me, which I was so thankful for. I know he just wants a normal girl he can bring around, and I really tried my best.
    Being there for 12 hours was rough, and it was SO hot out.
    My anxiety was alright throughout the day, and then it all fell apart at the very end.
    The guy driving the boat was still a little tipsy, and we had no life jackets and the waves were really really big. Like he would hit the waves and we would be bounced up high all over the boat. I was TERRIFIED. I was so sure we were going to flip the boat and couldn't understand why they were letting him drive.
    I started hyperventilating and was shaking so hard. The guy sitting on one side of me told me he was an EMT and clearly knew how to console nervous people. I felt a little guilty after cause he held my hand and knew all breathing technique stuff and just tried to talk me through it.
    Afterwards in the car my bf wasn't mad and totally understood why I was so scared.
    My body still feels stiff from that boat ride and I slept 10 hours the past two nights. I'm kind of proud of myself for sort of getting through a day like that. It's a start I suppose. The same group of people is having an end of the summer pool party soon and I might try and go instead of coming up with a million excuses to not go. We'll see

37. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~*SwanPrincess*~ For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

Had to go run a couple of errands in this town I'm staying in (my friend's place that I'm staying at).
    Got so lost, there was major construction and light signals were out causing commotion. I had to take the freeway which I hate, and it's So hot out. It gave me such anxiety! I haven't left her place since Sunday.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Crappy

The heat makes my anxiety worse, too, and it's been MISERABLY hot since forever. I live in the Pacific Northwest and can barely remember the last time I felt rain. That's just wrong.
    I used to hate the freeway so much I developed a phobia about it, which made it hard to get to anywhere interesting. Not that a shut-in goes out and about a lot, anyway. BUT I've been trying to work on that. Freeway driving is pretty easy now, but I get super anxious when I have to drive around streets I'm not familiar with. Like the other day, I was looking for an address in a part of the city I've never been to before and was getting really frustrated because it's hard to look for building numbers when people keep riding my bumper!

In making arrangements for my support group, I've found my social phobia hasn't improved as much as I thought. Phone calls and even e-mail and Facebook conversations are difficult. Why do I obsess over a few sentences asking about brochures? The next thing I'm looking into is a suicide prevention training course. That is going to be a challenge.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to R-209 For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Happy

^^^Yes, ditto to everything You brought up. I also get anxious in the hot weather, and thought I was the only one who did. It started when I lived in the desert, and to conserve the energy grids, the electrif companies would randomly shutoff the power
    . It was 120 degrees! It has been weird weather, for sure...no significant rain here in 4 yrs..It's ......
    Not normal, and very it's very depressing, like I'm walking around in the twighlight zone or something.
    Makes me feel very lethargic.
    The freeway, yeah don't get me started on that. Le sigh
    Last edited by Glamourmilf; 08-13-2015 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,778 Times in 3,480 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xxxGothBarbie View Post
    Anybody else ever get a little too cozy for a week or more of just hiding & vacationing from life?
    I can NOT do that. Learned that the hard way. I did very, very well for several shifts in a row back in April and decided to 'reward myself' with like 5 days off... and could not drag my ass back in. I gave myself burnout because I had time to sit at home and think about the negatives of the club. I stewed that so hard that I decided to get a freaking teaching job, and essentially quit working except for 3-4 hrs/week until I came to my senses 2 months later.

I'm still digging out of the hole

Now I make a point to never, ever not go in if I've marked it as a day I was going to work. I've caught myself several times about to not go. Bailing out is a death spiral and a bad habit to get into!
    "People jack off with the left hand and point with the right."

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave."

43. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast