Thread: Let's talk about Tip outs! - journalist friend looking for sources

Thanks

Default Let's talk about Tip outs! - journalist friend looking for sources

hey friends. i tend to take opportunities to work with journalists to talk about our work, especially in ways that aren't further stigmatizing. Ive been talk to a journalist and want to share this opportunity. If interested please email him directly or me at [email protected]

I'm a reporter for Metro Philadelphia (it's a free daily newspaper given out to transit riders). I'm looking for your help with a story, and as you can guess from the subject line, it's about strip clubs.

Last year, the mayor of Philadelphia lost his bid to tax lap dances. The case in itself drew a lot of sniggers, but believe it or not, the court file had a good amount of accounting data for three of the city's largest strip clubs.

I'm working on a story about what the data says about mens' behavior in strip clubs. The working title is "What an obscure city tax case says about what you do in strip clubs."

I can tell, for example, that for every dollar a man spends on admissions, he spends $5 to $8 on alcohol. I'm still working on similar ratios for lap dances, but the clubs don't standardize that revenue stream, so it's a little difficult. At the big picture level, we can tell that Philadelphians spend, on average, at least $10,000 per day on lap dances at these clubs.

Because I'm dealing with averages, I'm looking for 1) for dancers who can talk about extremes. When looking at accounting data, we are really talking about average expenditures. But we know that very few people are average -- there are probably guys who spend hundreds of dollars, and some that spend very little and 2) because a significant portion of revenue for club owners appears to be money they can extract from the dancers, we're also looking to interview dancers about stage fees, makeup fees, tip-outs, etc.

Thank you so much for your help.

Dan Kelley
    Reporter
    Metro Philadelphia

[email protected]
    @rprtrdan

Thanks
    Thanked 10,566 Times in 4,646 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cynical

Default Re: Let's talk about Tip outs! - journalist friend looking for sources

At the big picture level, we can tell that Philadelphians spend, on average, at least $10,000 per day on lap dances at these clubs.

I would question your accounting. If Philly strip club customers were actually spending $10k per day on lap dances, with 100+ dancers working in Philly clubs on any given day, that would only translate into $100 per dancer per day ... BEFORE house fees, tipouts, etc. were taken out.

One must assume that the source data only reflects that portion of customer private dance spending which the club receives and retains as their 'cut'. While the club's 'cut' percentage varies from club to club, 25% to 33% is rather common. Thus in terms of total strip club customer spending on lap dances, your $10k is probably off on the low side by a factor of 3x or 4x !!!

As the best source of Philly dancer details, I would suggest that you hit an ATM for a few hundred bucks, go to a Philly strip club, spend some money on lap dances, and ask the dancer providing those lap dances these questions !!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,547 Times in 1,321 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Melonie View Post
    I would question your accounting. If Philly strip club customers were actually spending $10k per day on lap dances, with 100+ dancers working in Philly clubs on any given day, that would only translate into $100 per dancer per day ... BEFORE house fees, tipouts, etc. were taken out.
    Seriously. I did some rough math for an average night at my tiny club ($30 a dance x 20 dances x 15 dancers) and it came out to $9,000 per day on lap dances. Even my average lap dance gross is $800 on a normal night. There is no way that a decent sized city with a bajillion (bajillion is a real science term for a real math number!) clubs is only doing $10k/day in dance sales.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kaninchen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 13,381 Times in 4,343 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love

Are you getting paid for these interviews?
    "If you're good at something never do it for free."
    "Fake tits are like Kevlar. They don't guarantee your chances of survival but they sure as hell improve it."
    Tempest

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tempest666 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,138 Times in 641 Posts

I'm happy to discuss my club, if out of state numbers help any. But, I would heed what other dancers are telling you about how much is being spent. It's more like $10k per club, per day.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,381 Times in 4,343 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    In Love

Tell your journalist friend to pay me and I'll give him all the data he wants.
    Throw in a few of your newspapers for my snake cages and you have a deal.
    "Fake tits are like Kevlar. They don't guarantee your chances of survival but they sure as hell improve it."
    Tempest

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tempest666 For This Useful Post: