Thread: NASA's 'New Horizons' mission is about to get to Pluto! July 14th!

Thanks

Default NASA's 'New Horizons' mission is about to get to Pluto! July 14th!

NASA's 'New Horizons' mission is about to get to Pluto! July 14th! Humankind has never been this far before. This is the friggin Kuiper Belt! Origin of short period comets. The probe has been waking up for the past few months, it's taken 9.5 years to get to Pluto.

New Horizons is the first mission in NASA's New Frontiers mission category, larger and more expensive than the Discovery missions but smaller than the Flagship Program. The cost of the mission (including spacecraft and instrument development, launch vehicle, mission operations, data analysis, and education/public outreach) is approximately $650 million over 15 years (2001–2016). An earlier proposed Pluto mission—Pluto Kuiper Express—was cancelled by NASA in 2000 for budgetary reasons. New Horizons was one of five finalists proposed to NASA by April 6, 2001.[4] On June 6, 2001, NASA selected the New Horizons and POSSE (Pluto and Outer Solar System Explorer) proposals for a three-month concept study.[5] NASA announced on November 29, 2001 that of the two competing design proposals, New Horizons would proceed with preliminary design studies for a Pluto flyby mission.[6]The spacecraft was built primarily by Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) and the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory. The mission's principal investigator is Alan Stern of the Southwest Research Institute (formerly NASA Associate Administrator).
    Overall control after separation from the launch vehicle is performed at Mission Operations Center (MOC) at the Applied Physics Laboratory in Howard County, Maryland. The science instruments are operated at Clyde Tombaugh Science Operations Center (T-SOC) in Boulder, Colorado.[7] Navigation, which is not real-time, is performed at various contractor facilities, while the navigational positional data and related celestial reference frames are provided by the Naval Observatory Flagstaff Station through Headquarters NASA and JPL;KinetX is the lead on the New Horizons navigation team and is responsible for planning trajectory adjustments as the spacecraft speeds toward the outer Solar System.
    New Horizons was originally planned as a voyage to the only unexplored planet in the Solar System. When the spacecraft was launched, Pluto was still classified as a planet, later to be reclassified as a dwarf planet by the International Astronomical Union (IAU). Some members of the New Horizons team, including Alan Stern, disagree with the IAU definition and still describe Pluto as the ninth planet.[8] Pluto's satellites Nix and Hydra also have a connection with the spacecraft: the first letters of their names (N and H) are the initials of New Horizons. The moons' discoverers chose these names for this reason, plus Nix and Hydra's relationship to the mythological Pluto.[9]
    In addition to the science equipment, there are several cultural artifacts traveling with the spacecraft. These include a collection of 434,738 names stored on a compact disc,[10] a piece of Scaled Composites's SpaceShipOne,[11] and a flag of the USA, along with other mementos.[12]
    About 30 grams (1 oz) of Clyde Tombaugh's ashes are aboard the spacecraft, to commemorate his discovery of Pluto in 1930.[13][14] A Florida-state quarter coin, whose design commemorates human exploration, is included, officially as a trim weight.[15] One of the science packages (a dust counter) is named after Venetia Burney, who, as a child, suggested the name "Pluto" after the planet's discovery.
    ~From Wikipedia, because i'm lazy.

We could learn so much from this mission, the ice/rock junk out there was all leftover from the formation of the planets we know, we can look at them and see back billions of years. I'm very excited. I can't wait to see pictures of PLUTO!

This craft will eventually pass the helioshock and travel past our stellar neighborhood and into interstellar space, like Voyager.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: NASA's 'New Horizons' mission is about to get to Pluto! July 14th!

nh-7-3-15_color_rotation_movie_nasa-jhuapl-swri.jpg

I couldn't get this to work, bit if you click on the link it's a color corrected image of Pluto and it's moon Charon.
    Sarchasm (n): The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,629 Times in 1,173 Posts

I saw they were questioning what those dark spots on pluto are and I for one and excited for them to determine what's causing them!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

I'm glad NASA didn't forget about this probe; I did until the last few weeks.
    chances are if he looked at my profile he got an instant boner. Men get horny around me all the time. That is their fault.. not mine.
    Yeah! Right!
    Customers are not entitled to grope, disrespect, or rob strippers. This is their job, not their hobby, and they all need income. Clubs are not just some erotic show for guys to view while drinking.

NOTE: anything I post here, outside of a direct quote, is my opinion only, which I am entitled to. Take it for what you estimate it is worth.

Thanks

The probe has entered the encounter phase.

Click me

Thanks
    Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,343 Posts
    My Mood
    Angelic

This is amazing. 9.5 years to get to pluto doesn't seem terribly bad.
    "Well done. Here are the test results: You are a horrible person. I'm serious, that's what it says: 'A horrible person.' We weren't even testing for that."

Thanks

New pics

New Horizons is supposed to visit a few more Kuiper Belt Objects (They can't hit Eris, though, unfortunately as it is comparable in size to Pluto), we'll probably end up discovering new KBO's since the flight path will be determined by the Pluto flyby.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Raziel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Ironic it certainly is. We can photograph Pluto and its moons up close.

But we cannot figure out how to get a woman off consistently....
    chances are if he looked at my profile he got an instant boner. Men get horny around me all the time. That is their fault.. not mine.
    Yeah! Right!
    Customers are not entitled to grope, disrespect, or rob strippers. This is their job, not their hobby, and they all need income. Clubs are not just some erotic show for guys to view while drinking.

NOTE: anything I post here, outside of a direct quote, is my opinion only, which I am entitled to. Take it for what you estimate it is worth.

Thanks

Says you.

OK Joking aside, this stuff might be of total interest to some women. I wouldn't have presented it if i thought no-one would want it.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,323 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    New pics

New Horizons is supposed to visit a few more Kuiper Belt Objects (They can't hit Eris, though, unfortunately as it is comparable in size to Pluto), we'll probably end up discovering new KBO's since the flight path will be determined by the Pluto flyby.
    Looks like a planet to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    Looks like a planet to me.
    Anything that's more than around 300 miles in diameter will crush itself into a sphere. Gravity works like that.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel View Post
    Anything that's more than around 300 miles in diameter will crush itself into a sphere. Gravity works like that.
    ...depending on its density....
    Yeah! Right!

Thanks

Amazing how they're able to get pictures, while I can't even get decent internet in my garden