Thread: Chaturbate: a survey of private show rates and 'minimum minutes'

Thanks

Default Chaturbate: a survey of private show rates and 'minimum minutes'

Over a period of a week or so, I conducted a mini-survey of broadcasters in the female category to compare private show rates and to assess the popularity of the new 'minimum minutes' feature. In an attempt to get a reasonably representative sample, a 'snapshot' was taken 3 or 4 times per day, spread over varying times of each day. The survey size was approximately 30000 rooms.

Unsurprisingly, the 6t/min girls dominate the number of private shows, and have the highest percentage (17%) of private shows compared to the number online. The percentages decline markedly as the private rate increases - the 60t/min and 90+t/min girls have very low percentages, and their private shows are elusive. The overall proportion of rooms in private was 6.8%.

The 'minimum minutes' figures are for the private shows taking place during the snapshots of the survey. The majority of girls chose not to alter the default setting of 0 minimum minutes. 5 minutes and 10 minutes minimum are also popular choices.

Notes:
    - The survey included girls running 'multiple rooms' in the female category, but did not include solo females in the couple category. The survey did not include the statistically insignificant number in Group Shows.
    - Exhibitionists, usually found in the 6t/min category, were included in the figures, but the number was very low.

[I couldn't post this on the because I'm not female. Maybe one of the mods might want to refer to it over there for information.]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by evening-sky; 10-10-2016 at 04:43 PM. Reason: clarification

2. The Following User Says Thank You to evening-sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 19,566 Times in 3,647 Posts
    My Mood
    Cynical

Default Re: Chaturbate: a survey of private show rates and 'minimum minutes'

upload you pics to Imgur and use [img]pictureurl[/img]

So in conclusion... Why pay for it when everyone is showing their wang for free on Chaturbate? Also, you should get a hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss_Red View Post
    Audritwo's asshole sees all, knows all. Spurs on armies of orcs. Casts fear into the dwindling races of Middle-Earth. Fears hobbits.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to audritwo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,567 Times in 2,008 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy

I actually find this rather interesting, but I'm a bit of a stats & graph nerd.
    Also, (total rant) why the hell haven't they knocked off the 6tk a minute rate yet?! $0.30 per minute is unacceptable no matter where you are in the world.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caramelcraze For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caramelcraze View Post
    Also, (total rant) why the hell haven't they knocked off the 6tk a minute rate yet?
    Market forces.

A broadcaster has to strike a tricky balance between the private show rate and judging how much is being taken in 'public' mode. A pertinent factor is the loss of audience during a private show duration, and the time it takes afterward to build up again.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to evening-sky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 24,133 Times in 6,721 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Can you do a survey on Streamate next? Clearly you have the time soooo \_(ツ)_/
    "SHOW FEET BB!" - Larys Strong

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

Quote Originally Posted by evening-sky View Post
    Market forces.

A broadcaster has to strike a tricky balance between the private show rate and judging how much is being taken in 'public' mode. A pertinent factor is the loss of audience during a private show duration, and the time it takes afterward to build up again.
    I'm sorry but 30 cents a minute is robbery, especially when the average time in private is 17%. If my math is right, for a 6 hour cam time 17% of which you're in private (61.2 minutes) those poor girls are making $18.36. Now idk where you're from, but in my neighborhood $18.36 isn't a lot of money for 6 hours of work. Oh and let's not forget most of the girls in that price range are studio girls... so they're making even less than .05 a token in most cases. the minimum should really be 12 or 18. I understand that .60 a minute cam shows are super tempting for buyers, but all it does is take advantage of the cammer which is totally unacceptable.

You do bring up an interesting point. yes, they are going to get some tokens in public. The only problem is that most of the foreign studio cammers (especially at extremely low rates) do not speak English well (as it's normally a second or third language for them), which makes talking to your customers and hustling exponentially harder. The lower private rates also impact your token menu at that point. I mean, who in their right mind would tip 50tk for a flash when they can take the same chick private for 8 minutes instead for roughly the same price?! I'd be surprised if those ladies make $15 in 6 hr from tips most days due to this. So all said and done, they still aren't making $35 a day BEFORE the studio takes their cut. I don't care who you are or where you're from, that's completely unacceptable for anyone doing sex work.
    Last edited by caramelcraze; 10-21-2016 at 07:51 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caramelcraze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,317 Times in 3,726 Posts
    My Mood
    Aggressive

^^ I want to thank this post 10000 times. Anyone who thinks that is acceptable is tantamount to encouraging trafficking! It is exploitation pure and simple.
    "If you want to earn more, learn more" ~ Zig Ziglar

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,614 Times in 2,826 Posts
    My Mood
    Flirty

This is bullshit. How do we know if this data is even accurate? Fuck you for trying to get models to lower their rates. Why don't you go gay for pay for 30 cents a minute and put a firecracker up your ass.
    See my post in Verified to learn about an alternative and legitimate way to earn a decent living online.

Lovense toys work on most sites to bring you more money! You can save up to 50% with my referral .

Want to learn how to splitcam on multiple sites at the same time?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to hyori For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Caramelcraze (and sexysusie): it was not my intention to offer an opinion about whether anything is good or bad. I merely tried to give some facts in my opening post. I do understand and appreciate why you, and most people reading this here from a broadcaster's perspective, find those facts unpalatable. (And yes, the studio girls get a particularly rough deal.)

Quote Originally Posted by caramelcraze View Post
    especially when the average time in private is 17%
    The 17% figure was the average number of 6t/min rooms in private, not the average time of 6t/min rooms in private. I did wonder whether it was possible to assess private show durations, but quickly came to the conclusion that would be impossible, and far too time-consuming. My guess is that the average total time in private for the 6t/min girls is actually a lot less than 17% of the total 'online time', so the income situation is even worse than you portray.

It is probably true that the 6t/min girls do spend longer (in total duration over a session) in private than the more expensive girls. Again, this is the difficult balance all broadcasters have to juggle with. "Because I'm worth it" doesn't always apply in a cruel marketplace where the price pressure is acute and relentless.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatGirlDynomite!!! View Post
    Can you do a survey on Streamate next? Clearly you have the time soooo \_(?)_/
    Sorry, I don't know anything about Streamate nor how it works. I will leave that survey for someone else! I would imagine though such SM results would probably be similarly depressing from a broadcaster's viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by hyori View Post
    This is bullshit. How do we know if this data is even accurate? Fuck you for trying to get models to lower their rates.
    I tried to make my mini-survey as objective and accurate as I could. If anyone else wants to collect some data, I would be delighted to see it. CB itself probably has accurate data, but it is unlikely they would share that in the public domain.

I offer no opinion on whether models should be lowering or indeed raising their rates.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

Caramelcraze (and sexysusie): it was not my intention to offer an opinion about whether anything is good or bad. I merely tried to give some facts in my opening post. I do understand and appreciate why you, and most people reading this here from a broadcaster's perspective, find those facts unpalatable. (And yes, the studio girls get a particularly rough deal.)

The 17% figure was the average number of 6t/min rooms in private, not the average time of 6t/min rooms in private. I did wonder whether it was possible to assess private show durations, but quickly came to the conclusion that would be impossible, and far too time-consuming. My guess is that the average total time in private for the 6t/min girls is actually a lot less than 17% of the total 'online time', so the income situation is even worse than you portray.

It is probably true that the 6t/min girls do spend longer (in total duration over a session) in private than the more expensive girls. Again, this is the difficult balance all broadcasters have to juggle with. "Because I'm worth it" doesn't always apply in a cruel marketplace where the price pressure is acute and relentless.

Sorry, I don't know anything about Streamate nor how it works. I will leave that survey for someone else! I would imagine though such SM results would probably be similarly depressing from a broadcaster's viewpoint.

I tried to make my mini-survey as objective and accurate as I could. If anyone else wants to collect some data, I would be delighted to see it. CB itself probably has accurate data, but it is unlikely they would share that in the public domain.

I offer no opinion on whether models should be lowering or indeed raising their rates.

The "even less than 17%" part makes me want to vomit and cry simultaneously. It isn't depressing from a broadcaster's stand point, it's depressing from any moral human's stand point. It isn't a matter of being worth more than .30 a minute, it's a matter of giving somebody who is underprivileged who has decided to do this kind of work the RIGHT to thrive without being abused by the system & their studio.

I'm not mad at you at all btw. In fact, quite the opposite. Thank you for bringing this to light! At this point I may even start a petition to have them remove anything below 18 or 20tk a minute, as anything below that is both supporting & furthering the abuse of an underprivileged population. It's garbage like this that gives the adult industry a bad name.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caramelcraze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

You do too have an opinion otherwise you wouldn't have conducted the survey. People conduct studies because they already have a theory that they want to prove. If you're gonna come here with these stats at least own up to it. Every platform I've ever worked on had a batch of performers who operated with rock bottom prices and it will always piss the rest of us off. But really its not the market place exactly but more about the platforms not wanting to do more about it. They could very easily raise those minimums. Instead they've made a business out of taking advantage of performers. All of these box sites are turning into cammodel factories and driving the price points down.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 17,497 Times in 5,133 Posts

There are definitely customers who are paying 60 tokens per minute and money to be made on Chaturbate for privates if a model prefers that. I prefer privates myself and refuse to do public shows but I see models making nice money there with them, just not my style. I recommend learning about fetishes - those are often the most loyal regulars if you prefer to perform in private.

There is no reason for a model to lower prices to that ridiculously low figure. No matter how long a model is in private - not possible to be worth your time at 6 tokens, good grief.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laurielegs For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You do too have an opinion otherwise you wouldn't have conducted the survey. People conduct studies because they already have a theory that they want to prove. If you're gonna come here with these stats at least own up to it.
    My primary motive was to form an opinion on the new minimum minutes feature, and I'm still in two minds about whether I feel it is a good thing or not. I couldn't see a correlation between private show rate and the minimum minutes setting, and the stats on the private show rates, which is the facet attracting indignation, were actually a by-product of the minimum minutes investigation. I did not have a theory I wanted to prove, but I suppose a secondary motive was driven by a genuine wonder at how on earth many of the CB girls make any money at all. I've noticed lots of girls sitting in front of their cams for hours on end, making only a few cents. Sometimes the look of dejection on their faces is distressing and soul-destroying. It's not surprising there is such a high turnover of broadcasters.

As an individual CB punter, of course the private show rate influences me - you didn't expect me to deny that, surely? But my personal preferences are not relevant here. I accept that the private show rate, along with the various and varying public mode 'prices', are the choice of the broadcaster.

I'm not convinced the platforms could 'easily raise the minimums', because they are in fierce competition with each other. They all have business models aimed at maximising profits (I was shocked when I first discovered CB's percentage cut), and yes it is a business that does take advantage of performers. It's unregulated capitalism. You didn't need me to expose that narrative.

My apologies if I have pissed everyone off again.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

6 tokens per minute is lower than any other site. 1000 models charging that rate will bring the site less overall profit that 500 charging 60 tokens per minute, basic math.
    I think you mistake who you are talking to here - we're pro's of this industry with years of experience and we know what the price points are and how cam sites operate.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sexysusie View Post
    6 tokens per minute is lower than any other site. 1000 models charging that rate will bring the site less overall profit that 500 charging 60 tokens per minute, basic math.
    Taking the actual figures from above, multiplying the number of private shows by their rates, CB's private show income distribution at any particular moment looks something like this:

I think you mistake who you are talking to here - we're pro's of this industry with years of experience and we know what the price points are and how cam sites operate.
    I accept that, although I hope I am trying to understand who I am talking with here.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

Why are you so focused on private shows, on CB?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Why are you so focused on private shows, on CB?
    CB is the only system I am familiar with. The focus on private show rates (and minimum minutes) is because that is the scope of this thread. Maybe the root of my inquisition is to try to answer (myself) the question as to why girl a might be 'worth' (and I hate using that word, but you know what I mean) 3 times, or 5 times, or 10 times or even 20 times, girl b. I can't answer that, except maybe on an emotional basis.

And I needed to practice how to do graphs in Excel!

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

CB is the only system I am familiar with. The focus on private show rates (and minimum minutes) is because that is the scope of this thread. Maybe the root of my inquisition is to try to answer (myself) the question as to why girl a might be 'worth' (and I hate using that word, but you know what I mean) 3 times, or 5 times, or 10 times or even 20 times, girl b. I can't answer that, except maybe on an emotional basis.

Well thats the word you used. CB is the wrong site to make the argument that cammodels charge too much so please go with the market and lower your prices. The masses aren't on CB for that. Not even the cammodels are on there for that. Most use it as an add on tool to hit their goal. Now go be a good guy and make it rain in someones chatroom since you care so much.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PhatGirlDynomite!!! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Because she decides to be. Outside of the studios (which as anyone in their right mind can see from the above are hugely exploitative) web cam performers/ models are independent professionals with a depth and range of experience in sexual and psychological entertainment. They are able to provide completely unique services, tailored to their customers epcific requirements. Rather than seeing them as products on a shelf, varying only in price, view them in the same light as independent consultants - like an interior decorator for example. There are many interior decorators about, some are very cheap and may get a lot of business. Others are not cheap, and may even be sky high priced, but it is their WORK that gets them noticed, that creates buzz and has people recommending them to each other. They get noticed by working hard to advertise and create their brand, then they develop their craft, get better and better until they are being called on night and day. Their customers come back to them because only THEY can provide what they're looking for. Sure they might move on one day and find another decorator, but it generally won't be down to price, because price isn't the important factor here.

Non studio models generally don't webcam because they have to, or because it pays moderately more than waiting tables. They do it because they make MONEY, serious money. Those 6 token per min poor wretches are not making serious money, certainly not in paid chat anyway. Which brings me to the fact that this is all a moot point - token sites like CB generate most income through tipping in free chat, making any attempt to correlate a relationship between time in paid, prices, and how much these models make the site overall, ultimately fruitless.

I find stats and graphs, and any detailed breakdown or observation of camming pretty fascinating, but you have to be careful not to project your own biases over the results.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

lol shouldn't everyone be worthy of the right to thrive & not be taken advantage of? Just from doing some looking around on cb, I don't honestly think the girls who charge that rate have much of a choice in the matter. It's nearly exclusively studio girls... which means they probably aren't given the option by their boss to charge more than the minimum (ie has nothing to do with what THEY think they're worth, but rather what their studio pimp (aka boss) thinks). I think if your real question is "Why do cammers charge the rates that they do for privates?", why not ask? The answer to that question probably isn't something you can graph with numbers though.

A couple more points: Firstly, like susie pointed out, cb is primarily a public show site. I worked the site for 3 years full time and rarely got more than a couple privates a day. The VAST majority of my income was from doing public shows. Sure, once or twice a month I'd make the majority of my money off of those one of two long ass private shows, but it was extremely rare that I pulled decent dough from private shows there. On the other end of the spectrum, I charge between 2 and 3 times as much per minute on streamate as I did on cb (which wasn't chump change to begin with) for privates and am in private the majority of each of my shifts.

I think a site like streamate would be a lot better for private show rate analysis due to the fact that it's a private show based site. you can also then divide up by region what models charge on average, on top of % of those in privates. Now those would be some cool graphs to look at, and I do love me some statistics!

PGD: I think why he decided to take info from cb was purely due to the fact that it's readily available. you can look at each private rate on there and immediately see how many girls online use that rate and how many are in a private within that rate. Most sites don't make those numbers as available as cb does. I don't have a normal member's account on sm though, so idk if you can divvy up by price as a member or not. I maybe totally wrong if that's the case, but i straight up don't even know if that's an option!

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caramelcraze For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 12,614 Times in 2,826 Posts
    My Mood
    Flirty

Here is an idea...instead of posting your results in an open forum why not start up some kind of service for cam models offering your statistical analysis data. Offer this for the top sites eg, MyFreeCams, Streamate, AdultWork and Chaturbate. Keep it current and offer subscriptions, click through exchange, donations, affiliate referral and/or one time fees to look at the latest findings. Data mining is a huge time investment that models just don't have and since you are already doing it for no money why not capitalize.

Put affiliate links and banners on this site to make even more passive income. Then, when you are rich, come and tip me for changing your life for the better.
    See my post in Verified to learn about an alternative and legitimate way to earn a decent living online.

Lovense toys work on most sites to bring you more money! You can save up to 50% with my referral .

Want to learn how to splitcam on multiple sites at the same time?

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hyori For This Useful Post:

Emanuelle

Oh wow. Statistics. Statistics are meaningless. It's just data. Useless data. Data changes over time. Data fluctuates over time. You can interpret it however you want. I don't find this depressing to be honest because it doesn't mean anything. If you're charging a higher rate for privates it's probably because you earn at least that much in public chat. That's a good thing if you're earning it in free chat for less work. A lot of girls will only go private with the guys who give them the highest tips in their room. If girls with higher private rates are in rooms less often it's most likely because going private isn't worth it to them. That's one interpretation anyway. Like I said, data is inert and can be interpreted differently based on your own experiences.

If girls are charging the lowest rate I have to admit my gut reaction is "human trafficking", but honestly I read many comments here from girls saying they've gone weeks or months without being able to earn their minimum payout. Maybe some of these girls are using these low private prices as a way to at least earn something while splitcamming so they can rise through the page rankings to a point where they're noticed. You need to be earning money to raise rank. Or maybe they don't do anything in their privates. Maybe it's like the "venmo me $5 and see what happens".

We don't know what this data means, so it's better to ignore it and focus on our own goals. I mean is it a revelation that the majority of guys on Chaturbate are cheap? I hope not. If you don't already know then let me tell you, most of the guys on Chaturbate are cheap and demanding. We don't want those guys. We let those guys give us their pathetic, micropenis sized tips while we wait for the real men to come along, and then we turn it on.
    Last edited by Emanuelle; 12-29-2020 at 03:14 PM. Reason: because I like to talk too much & I have a lot of opinions.