Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: receiving food stamps as an independent contractor?

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,097 Times in 593 Posts
    My Mood
    Busy

Default Re: receiving food stamps as an independent contractor?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherLily View Post
    I managed to feed myself and my boyfriend for $225 a mo. We were both full time students (could not apply for any type of aid , food, housing or otherwise in my state) I was working 2 jobs and he had one, the pay was shit. Honestly what helped was getting on aderall. Lol $5 a mo for a generic I'd wake up at 6 am , eat breakfast by 8 and would not experience hungry again until about 6pm. Now mind you I was not abusing, "partying", and was taking if for the prescribed ( legal) reasons.

Bump! Most states don't give food stamps to students. What state is that?

If you don't have add/adhd and don't want to legally risk the following may help:

If you live near farmer's market go at the end of the day. I'm talking 30 mins before they shut down and you can get essentially what's left over at the end of the day for super cheap, I'm talking like $1 a pound/ basket/ bunch. That was the main way we ate fresh veggies and fruits.

Day old/ discount bakeries for breads ( again very cheap)

Buying dried beans and rice in bulk. Go to ethnic grocery stores for spices ( day 7 of beans and rice isn't too bad when you can change the flavor up). Fuck McCormick $5 for a tiny bottle of cayenne pepper you can get 8 oz for $2 ( for example). If you don't have any near you shop in those itty bitty ethnic aisles and get the Badia ones.

If you eat meat find a butcher/ meat market, many sell small freezer packs for cheap.
    You will also live if you don't eat it everyday.

Learn to love water! Toss a lemon or lime in it.

If you have a friend in the military that lives on or has access to base give them some $ to go grocery shopping for you. Sometimes the prices in the commissary are better than civie grocers.

If you can come up with the funds for a costco membership get one. $15 for a 1.75 L of vodka is pretty sweet.
    Bump! Most states don't give food stamps to students. What state allowed you to get them?
    There's no shame in the game!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Violethollywood View Post
    when i worked as a retail assistant manager. I couldn't afford groceries. It was a real pain in the fucking ass and at 1 point i had another part time job working over 60 hours a week if not more . My rent was low only 375 plus water plus electric plus car payment and insurance and cell phone . didnt have cable or wifi or netflix or anything else extra and I'd only have an extra 200 a month after paying bills for GAS and GROCERIES FOR THE WHOLE MONTH. me and my son had to live off ramen from the dollar store. food stamps told me i made too much in gross (which is just taxes, you dont even get that in your check!) And they denied me. I was making about 1600-1700 in take home a month and they denied me . the system is flawed.You can only eat ramen and vienna sausages so many times beforeyou lose your shit. explains why i was so skinny back then lmao
    Yeah I have a friend that made $10/h (but full time) so her gross was probably $1600 give or take a little.. at the time I think her rent was $650ish (that was in low income housing).. anyway I think they only offered her like $10-15 a month in food stamps.

I personally think from what I have seen over the years you almost have to have no job to really get the most out of govt benefits. I could be wrong, but I am saying the people I've met who basically gamed the whole system were living a way better lifestyle than those that were legitimately trying to work and better themselves and needed a little help.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to random stripper For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

^^^^ Yes! And it depends on the state you live in. Most Republican run states have limited benefits. But I know in New York,you can't get food stamps as a student. And NY is pretty liberal with benefits compared to other states. Well, if they catch you then it's fraud. Not worth being a felon for food stamps IMO!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,963 Times in 2,059 Posts

A lot of states make it super tough to get food stamps, even more so as an independent contractor. You have to be seriously piss poor to qualify. I did for a few months 6 years ago because my child and I were homeless and I wasn't bringing in much income. The minute my income raised to $14k? Cut off! They said I was making enough at $14k to be able to buy food myself. They don't care if you have kids or not. I will never rely on that again. I learned to budget and shop at Dollar Tree for certain things. Every state has different income cut off limits so you have to check to make sure before applying.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WendiStarr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 361 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nyla19 View Post
    Bump! Most states don't give food stamps to students. What state allowed you to get them?
    Oh I never got SNAP (aka food stamps) I was just detailing how I managed on a food stamps-esque budget. And my generic adderall bumped up from $5 a mo to $99 when I got off my parent's insurance
    .The great state of FL(and many others) don't mind having starving students.
    Last edited by AnotherLily; 05-16-2018 at 09:16 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AnotherLily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,035 Times in 5,765 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I knew a stripper broad who allegedly got like 600 in food stamps

IDK how tf she did it. And I know people who really need it, use it cause emergency or whatnot but whatever she did to get it I personally would not like to be living like that. She did seem like she was kinda poor and had some kids and some deadbeat baby daddies. But she was a really good hustler in the club and hell, the system should be making deadbeats pay for the kids they create not the taxpayers.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miss.a.p1600 For This Useful Post:

Featured Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Busy

Quote Originally Posted by miss.a.p1600 View Post
    I knew a stripper broad who allegedly got like 600 in food stamps

IDK how tf she did it. And I know people who really need it, use it cause emergency or whatnot but whatever she did to get it I personally would not like to be living like that. She did seem like she was kinda poor and had some kids and some deadbeat baby daddies. But she was a really good hustler in the club and hell, the system should be making deadbeats pay for the kids they create not the taxpayers.
    Or, only have the 1% pay for them. They keep getting richer. And just got a huge tax break. Also, banks, corporations and wall street fat cats. Let these rich people support the poor. The middle class and lower middle class have enough bills they can barely pay for.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyla19 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12