Thread: Students working in London's stripping industry...

Thanks

Search Students working in London's stripping industry...

Hi there,

My name's Jess, I'm a PhD Student at City University. I was pleased to read on the forum rules that StripperWeb was a place to "...share knowledge, and to give the public a more accurate view of what it means to be an exotic dancer" which is exactly what I (and my research) aim to do. So, on that note, I hope that you don't mind me posting this...

I am currently conducting research on the lives and experiences of 3rd year university students working in London's stripping industry. As noted, the overall aim of the study is to improve understandings of how students operate in the industry and of what happens after university.

To thank you for your participation in this study I would like to offer one hour of my time/services as a university tutor. While this is negotiable, this could include proof reading, help with revision, dissertation workshops etc.

As a participant you would be asked to take part in an interview lasting approximately 1 hour. The interview will remain confidential, anonymised and your identity will be protected. If you would like to take part or for further information, please do get in touch via email: [email protected]c.uk. Alternatively, if you know anyone who fits the criteria I would be very grateful if you could pass on this information.

I hope to hear from you soon!
    Many thanks,
    Jessica.

This study has been reviewed by and received ethical clearance through the Department of Sociology Ethics Committee at City, University of London. If you would like to complain about any aspect of the study, please contact the Secretary to the University’s Senate Research Ethics Committee on 020 7040 3040 or via email: [email protected]

Thanks
    Thanked 3,038 Times in 1,254 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Default Re: Students working in London's stripping industry...

What is the interest with college students and adult work??? I mean, I don't mind helping out here and there I just don't see the fascination. I did participate in the graduation photo shoot of a photography student that wanted to take pics of strippers in their day to day life. he is pretty famous now. It was cool.
    XoXo Gia
    Danielle Fishell (the Dish): "If the Super-Star thing doesn't work out, Gia makes a great stripper name"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,138 Times in 2,605 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Because they can make money out of it. These academic studies are all well and good but at the end of the day they inform wider drives to regulate and tax our industries while increasing competition.
    Websites & payment for camgirls

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sexysusie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The game is sold, not told.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyMachado View Post
    The game is sold, not told.
    I agree.

The best way she can learn about the industry is as a customer and dancer, not sitting on the sidelines doing sterile interviews.

Thanks

Thank you for your comments…

I want to apologise for both the late response and also for not explaining my research very well in the previous post…

The focus is on students because while a lot of students are working in the industry, there isn’t much research on this. I want to look at how dancing in the context of students can be used strategically as a form of social mobility.

The second aim links to a separate piece that I’m working on with the East London’s Strippers Collective. This is collecting first hand evidence, that is, the voices/opinions/experiences of those actually doing the work to look at how legislative changes in the UK have worsened conditions for workers (as you have rightly said), and to discuss with those doing the work, what could be done to improve the situation.

Like many other researchers, I want to challenge the negative stereotypes/stigma surrounding stripping. In academic research stripping is usually seen as fundamentally different to other jobs so it is always analysed in isolation, as if dancing is incomparable to any other job. I plan to interview not only students working as dancers but also students working as waitresses (in what could for argument sake be seen as a ‘normal’ job) to show there are clear similarities, to challenge poor representations, and to hopefully work towards the normalisation of stripping, but in a different way.

I have been a customer myself many times and I totally appreciate the comment that I should do the job myself. However, if I do/don’t become a dancer I still need your insights/experiences as hard evidence for my research as my own experiences while valuable just wouldn’t be enough.

I have managed to negotiate with my ethics committee and I am now able to offer anyone who takes part in the research a £10 gift voucher of their choice!

I hope this has answered some of the questions/comments but if you would like any more info please drop me a line ([email protected]) and I'd be happy to discuss.

Thanks!