Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Obamacare insurance premium increase.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,766 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Default Re: Obamacare insurance premium increase.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanXO View Post
    Because there are still not enough young, healthy people buying into it to offset the costs of the poor and sick. (Don't get me wrong I really believe in helping the less-fortunate but Obamacare isn't helping things.)
    Now y'all know I usually try to stay out of these things..but I'm gonna stick my 2 cents in this time and then leave you to it. The craziness is that they expected young people to just comply with ACA and buy. What they didn't count on was the fact that wages are so squelched for new hires, privatized loans/tuition is so high, and employment even for college grads is so spotty, that there was no way that was going to happen. We talk about it at work from time to time and even though we can afford it, Nooooobody feels good about spending $4,5,600 a month on coverage! We're all healthy as horses, which is a big reason why we can do this job, so many of us are throwing premiums away, unless we have children or a chronic illness. Our state could give a shit, so we don't have a lot of great plans to choose from like some in the rest of the country. I've been tempted to use my old address of a relative's home in another state just so I could cut my costs in half. But I don't want to get caught doing it.
    Anyway, if you've seen the headlines on how the last Administration made...errors...in counting the loan repayment default rate and errors in counting the chronically unemployed, then you know ACA was doomed. OAN,doctors are getting only about 50% reimbursement for Medicare procedures so many in private practice are opting out, dumping patients left and right. I don't know about y'all but I'm moving to CANADA! smh
    The Status Quo has their say and their way every day.
    Ladies, time to #FuckShitUp

Thanks
    Thanked 4,526 Times in 1,766 Posts
    My Mood
    In Love

Quote Originally Posted by Zofia View Post

2. Doctors will have to cut their pay by essentially agreeing that the lowest reimbursement rate is all they will ever get. Essentially doctors will engage in a race to the bottom on rates. Anytime an insurer negotiates a lower rate, all rates fall to that new low. It's called competition. Unbirdled, free market competition.

3. Pharmaceutical companies need some patent protection on new medications to encourage development. They will get seven years. But, after that, all their work becomes public domain and can be copied by anyone with a pharmaceutical license. The FDA will have to stop protecting big pharma and start approving procedures, techonologies and medications quickly. Any procedure, technology or medication approved in western europe, Canada, or Japan shall be automatically approved in the U.S.A.

HTH
    Z
    In defense of doctors, their insurance is outrageous. That's a big part of why they charge so much. But Big Pharma charges those inflated prices to us because Congress allows them. So their control of Congress would have to end to get fair pricing.
    The Status Quo has their say and their way every day.
    Ladies, time to #FuckShitUp

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    In defense of doctors, their insurance is outrageous. That's a big part of why they charge so much. But Big Pharma charges those inflated prices to us because Congress allows them. So their control of Congress would have to end to get fair pricing.
    I guess you didn't read the first part of my message. Oh well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Optimist View Post
    That is PART of the problem. Malpractice insurance is just one expense. So is liability insurance if the doctor owns the building or shares costs.
    Then there is student loan repayment and the doctor's own payroll including possibly ... health care for her or his employees.

Why are malpractice premiums so high ? Well 2/3 of the malpractice ( some studies say 75 % ) is committed by foreign trained doctors. 3/4 of malpractice cases that actually go to trial result in defense verdicts. Another big chunk is the cost of defense. It is the defense lawyers who are the ones really getting rich.

Here's another problem : A lot of lawsuits are brought because something went wrong and the hospital or nursing home won't tell the family ,loved ones , survivors what happened. A lawsuit is the only way to find out what happened to a loved one because the risk managers , lawyers and sometimes even the laws in various states tell the hospitals not to say. Or permit them not to say. Elderly and /or sick patients fall down and get hurt all the time. Sometimes they get seriously injured and even die but nobody wants to say what happened. Operations go awry even though everyone followed good and accepted practices but the "cone of silence " descends rather than explain to the family what , if anything , went wrong.

Another biggie is infection. The best place to catch a disease or get an infection is a hospital. There are so many things they could be doing to improve infection rates but most do not want to spend the extra money.

Many doctors still think that they alone do not have to wash their hands ! Read the studies. It is ridiculous. It's like they never learn. They love to tell everyone else to do it.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,229 Times in 2,007 Posts

European hospitals take much more precautions than American hospitals to prevent infections.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eagle2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2 View Post
    European hospitals take much more precautions than American hospitals to prevent infections.
    I think you mean Western Europe i.e. Britain , Scandinavia , the Benelux countries, Germany and France. Eastern Europe , for the most part , is worse than the U.S. So are Spain , Portugal and Greece. Italy is pretty good. The Swiss are fantastic.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,008 Posts

hmm... Trump seems all business now.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/31/trump...n-tuesday.html

Trump to meet pharmaceutical representatives at White House on Tuesday

U.S. President Donald Trump, who has criticized the high prices of prescription drugs, will meet with representatives of the pharmaceutical industry on Tuesday at the White House, the White House said in a statement.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baer45 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123