Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Obamacare insurance premium increase.

Thanks

Default Re: Obamacare insurance premium increase.

Quote Originally Posted by baer45 View Post
    Everyone has his/her own opinion. So you are entitled to yours. For the sake of exercise, I did vote for obama in 2008 and did not vote in 2012. I didn't vote in 2016. I dislike Hillary and trump both. Ididnt bother to vote.

I accept trump when he became the president and hope he can do something about the healthcare ( it's not looking good so far). To me, Hillary is proven sociopathic liar. Trump, he has a couple more years to prove he's not a lair. If he turns out to be a lair. I have no trouble to call him POS, as I stated at very beginning. To get back to your rhetoric question, i don't have an answer. At least not a meaningful one. I am going to stop right here. Too much politics.
    My original comment is still healthcare related. Trump and republicans failed. What's next? Try again?
    It's not opinion though, decisions can be based on evidence and facts (click link, expand answers, answer questions, fill in importance, see match) to ensure that one doesn't vote against their own interests, unlike score of other people.

As for what's next for healthcare: if you're idealistic, governing instead of obstructing; if you're realistic, 3.5 more years of the last 6-7 years of legislation.

Thanks

And the hits just keep on coming. Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is leaving the Nevada market.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stoner View Post
    And the hits just keep on coming. Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield is leaving the Nevada market.
    In Texas we just have Medicaid-style plans with very high deductibles. This is not getting better...somethings gotta give eventually!

Thanks

^^^ It's worse than that. In many states , young and healthy people without dependents were pushed onto the Medicaid rolls thus crowding the care for the genuinely needy; for whom Medicaid is supposedly intended.

Personally , I think trying to reform health insurance is pointless unless we also try to reform health care. As our population ages and thus needs more and more care the situation is only going to get worse.
    A
    The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena... who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those timid souls who know neither.
    Teddy Roosevelt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Stoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 529 Posts

Health care is expensive for two reasons: drug costs and payroll. Our drugs are the most expensive in the world. Our medical professionals and administrators are the best paid in the world. Nobody is going to agree to a pay cut. So, the only thing we can do on the expense side is reduce the cost of pharmaceuticals and reduce the cost of medical malpractice claims. On the medical practice part of the equation, we can push more people to use midwives and Nurse Practitioners. We can force hospitals, especially public hospitals to set up "minute clinics" in front of their emergency rooms and triage patients there. Send the true emergencies to the ER and divert the cold and flu sufferers to the "minute clinic." And that is about as good as it gets if you don't want to cut pay or take on the pharma companies and their pricing strategies.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,173 Posts

There is also high administrative costs because of the complexity of medical billing, unnecessary medical procedures because providers have financial incentives to perform as many medical procedures as they can, since they will get paid for it. There also isn't price competition as there is with most other products. When consumers buy a house or a car, the price of the product is a major factor in their decision to make a purchase. If a consumer needs a major medical procedure, the price of the procedure generally is not a factor at all in the decision as to where to get the procedure, unless the consumer is paying for it himself, which is generally not the case.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 529 Posts

These are good points as there are lots of areas of inefficiency in medical care. Note that none of them were addressed by either political effort at "reform."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,243 Posts

The "reforms" only touched tax payer (increasing budget) and insurance company( but achieved nothing). Most of the politicans are bought anyway.

The ideal solution doesn't exist for the moment but some possible improvements aren't that hard to figure out: a procedure currently cost $10,000 in here but only cost $3000 in euro, make it $5000. If it cost a hospital $5000 to do it, the insurance company should be obliged to pay that amount, no negotiation is allowed. Hospitals need to get rid of unecessary personales who are just adding cost to the bill. Lower doctor & others' salary and hospital covers medical malpractice insurance cost. Insurance companies all subject to a standard loss ratio. a severe fine or premium reduction locked for 5 years if the balance sheet doesn't compliant with the ratio. FDA needs to give more flexibility to pharms before the drugs hit the market, but given the power to cease the sale if the profit percentage is ridiculous(eg. anything more than 300%). I know this might upset people who love free market principle. But this is critical to people's health, people's lives, it's not your laptop, or clothes, cars. I am in for some regulations.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,904 Times in 1,979 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Since Blue Cross is the only coverage option I now have, I have actually been hoping they would pull out of FL individual market too, but no such luck. Sounds strange for someone to wish to have no health insurance options, but that is what I've been reduced to now. Because of course if this happened, then I would be exempted from the penalty provision of Obamacare and could keep all of the $20,000 per year I pay in premium money and just pay cash instead for health services for my family. As I described before, it's not like I'm getting almost anything back from it now anyway.

Of course, one more big premium hike like the one that we got last year (19%) and I am done anyway, even with the penalty. Then they will just have to find some other sucker to pay over $20,000 per year to fund other people's early retirements, pregnancies, birth control, etc. I have really fucking had it now.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,173 Posts

and Centene is entering the Nevada market.

http://www.businessinsider.com/cente...andoval-2017-8

From the above link:
    Gov. Brian Sandoval of Nevada on Tuesday announced that Centene, a low-cost health insurer, would enter the private health-insurance markets in 14 rural Nevada counties that previously had no insurer for 2018.

"Today we are going to announce that there will be no counties without health insurance options in the great state of Nevada," Sandoval said at a rural hospital in Silver Springs.
    Tuesday's decision leaves one county in Wisconsin and one county in Ohio as the only remaining empty counties for next year. Data from the Kaiser Family Foundation suggests that 381 people currently enrolled in plans in those counties are at risk of being left without an insurer in 2018.

Centene is a relative success story in the Obamacare markets, using its slimmed-down Medicaid-like plans to achieve profits in the exchange business. Centene has expanded its Obamacare footprint in multiple states, including previously bare counties in Kansas.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456