Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Obamacare insurance premium increase.

Thanks

Default Re: Obamacare insurance premium increase.

Allow me to correct myself: When I meant illegal, I meant that all insurance plans are priced to cover EVERYTHING for EVERYONE. For example, even though I can't get pregnant, my insurance cost includes pregnancy care. Same with mental illness. I don't have mental illness, but the shared cost is still spread to me. Per Obamacare, insurance Companies aren't allowed to not cover certain things. True, a catastrophic plan I could buy would only cover certain things for, but the costs of them still cover everything for everyone else. My catastrophic plan would still be priced out to pay for things I would never use. That was the point of Obamacare: to try to lower prices by everyone buying into the same pool, to cover everything. But that hasn't happened and that's the point.

And not everyone can qualify for one:

From healthcare.gov

Catastrophic health plans: For people under 30 or with certain exemptions
    Catastrophic health insurance plans have low monthly premiums and very high deductibles. They may be an affordable way to protect yourself from worst-case scenarios, like getting seriously sick or injured. But you pay most routine medical expenses yourself.

Who can buy a Catastrophic plan

Only the following people are eligible:

People under 30
    People of any age with a hardship exemption or affordability exemption (based on Marketplace or job-based insurance being unaffordable)
    If you’re eligible to buy a Catastrophic plan, you’ll see them displayed when you compare plans in the Marketplace.

I make too much money to get this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RyanXO For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RyanXO View Post
    Allow me to correct myself: When I meant illegal, I meant that all insurance plans are priced to cover EVERYTHING for EVERYONE. For example, even though I can't get pregnant, my insurance cost includes pregnancy care. Same with mental illness. I don't have mental illness, but the shared cost is still spread to me. Per Obamacare, insurance Companies aren't allowed to not cover certain things. True, a catastrophic plan I could buy would only cover certain things for, but the costs of them still cover everything for everyone else. My catastrophic plan would still be priced out to pay for things I would never use. That was the point of Obamacare: to try to lower prices by everyone buying into the same pool, to cover everything. But that hasn't happened and that's the point.
    Still relevant, though I made some edits:

Quote Originally Posted by dpacrkk View Post
    [R]isk is shared and it's not different from any other insurance...I have to ask: if you received a higher cost of health care than your premium, would you do the "noble" thing and pay the difference? I've never received more than the value of my health insurance premium in health care, but I know it's part of risk sharing..
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanXO View Post
    And not everyone can qualify for one
    I'm well aware. After all I typed this:

Do you mean you don't qualify for one?
    Ask the aforementioned previous poster how they got theirs.
    Last edited by dpacrkk; 09-28-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,089 Times in 2,035 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

^ I don't think Zofia was referring to a true catastrophic plan as defined under the Obamacare regs. Someone who is 30 and over only qualifies for a catastrophic plan if that person would have been exempted from the personal penalty anyway for hardship reasons, which I'm sure is not the case for Zofia. I'm guessing that she purchased the cheapest (relatively since even the garbage plans are pricey) crappiest plan available and is just working around it, which is a sad testament indeed to the real value of the purported benefits offered by these policies.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rickdugan View Post
    I'm guessing that she purchased the cheapest (relatively since even the garbage plans are pricey) crappiest plan available and is just working around it, which is a sad testament indeed to the real value of the purported benefits offered by these policies.
    It's a sad testament that people are ok with middle men (health insurance companies) profiting billions from people needing health care. The insurance companies are the only ones that never lose because their actuaries figure out risk and basically guarantee that they never pay more in care than they take in, while not even being the ones that actually provide health services.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpacrkk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

It's a sad testament that people are ok with middle men (health insurance companies) profiting billions from people needing health care. The insurance companies are the only ones that never lose because their actuaries figure out risk and basically guarantee that they never pay more in care than they take in, while not even being the ones that actually provide health services.
    Did we miss something? Was the CEO of Aetna voting in the House of Representatives when the Obamacare takeover of the individual market was passed? Was the CEO of United Healthcare one of the 60 Senators who thought that this was a great idea? Was the CEO of Blue Cross responsible for signing this oh-so-wonderful legislation into law?

Thanks

Did we miss something? Was the CEO of Aetna voting in the House of Representatives when the Obamacare takeover of the individual market was passed? Was the CEO of United Healthcare one of the 60 Senators who thought that this was a great idea? Was the CEO of Blue Cross responsible for signing this oh-so-wonderful legislation into law?
    The nested comment has absolutely nothing to do with the passage of ACA, nor any given value of premiums. As long as insurance companies are around, no matter what happens in legislation, they are guaranteed to take in more than they pay out to the real healthcare providers (and currently the difference is in the billions). And despite you insulting me yet again, I don't want to seem insulting: but I don't see how you could possibly make the link between the nested post and the ACA. For the scoreboard: that's misinterpretation #3.
    Last edited by dpacrkk; 09-28-2017 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

The nested comment has absolutely nothing to do with the passage of ACA, nor any given value of premiums. As long as insurance companies are around, no matter what happens in legislation, they are guaranteed to take in more than they pay out to the real healthcare providers (and currently the difference is in the billions). And despite you insulting me yet again, I don't want to seem insulting: but I don't see how you could possibly make the link between the nested post and the ACA. For the scoreboard: that's misinterpretation #3.
    Well, we were talking about Obamacare right before that, which in fact is the subject of this entire thread. If you were having a more general moment, it might have been helpful to qualify it as such. Yet again dp, our comments don't live in a vaccuum.

But ok, if I misinterpreted then where is this going? What's the next logical step in your train of thought? Who are you suggesting replace the insurers as administrative consolidators and group negotiators, if anyone? Should we remove all middle men from the equation, including the federal government? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks

Well, we were talking about Obamacare right before that, which in fact is the subject of this entire thread. If you were having a more general moment, it might have been helpful to qualify it as such. Yet again dp, our comments don't live in a vaccuum.
    Come on, man. It's like following a conversation. When a reply follows a quote of a previous post, that reply is relevant to that quote (i.e. _replying_ to it), and not likely anything else.

But ok, if I misinterpreted then where is this going? What's the next logical step in your train of thought? Who are you suggesting replace the insurers as administrative consolidators and group negotiators, if anyone? Should we remove all middle men from the equation, including the federal government? Inquiring minds want to know.
    It's a complex issue, but here's three:

* centralized negotiation for leverage
    * price transparency and signaling
    * all-payer rates when possible for routine and planned services

Thanks
    My Mood
    Amused

It's a complex issue, but here's three:

* centralized negotiation for leverage
    * price transparency and signaling
    * all-payer rates when possible for routine and planned services
    Ah huh. And who do you suppose would, or even could, be responsible for this "central negotiation?" It's ok dp, spit it out, you know you want to.

Thanks

Ah huh. And who do you suppose would, or even could, be responsible for this "central negotiation?" It's ok dp, spit it out, you know you want to.
    If you're anticipating me to say "the government" then:

First of all, the government already does this with Medicare in medical procedures (not drugs) and, not surprisingly, it gets the lowest rates. And nobody's claiming "Medicare is collapsing under its own weight!"

Second of all, it doesn't have to be. There are many two tier systems in the world (New Zealand, France, Denmark, etc), and they all spend less than the US for much lower healthcare spending:

And if you were anticipating me to type "the government" and you were going to follow up with "government is never more efficient than private business," then yet again:
    Here's the first "barking cat" (is this common parlance?) for you then: Medicare overhead is ~6% while private insurance industry average is 11-12% and as high as 20%, individually.
    Look. Just drop your insurance, pay your penalty, and wait for the next attempt at ACA repeal. Maybe the 116th Congress will have more senators in favor. The fifth time's the charm?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,464 Posts

single payer healthcare system...It's better than the mess we have right now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to baer45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,255 Times in 1,464 Posts

16. The Following User Says Thank You to baer45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Health insurance in this country is a failure, period. What the Obama Care did was legally mandate the public subsidization of private health insurance companies. This means you and I, and any able-bodies, none-broke young-ish person pays a premium for those who need it more. That's all well and good, in my opinion but the administrative costs need to go. Administrative costs in the health insurance companies have always made health care more expensive than it needs to be, such that it's no different than an elaborate pyramid scheme. The health care in this country makes me absolutely ill (thank god, it's not to the point where I'll need to go to the doctor), but I have no idea where else to go or how to get out of this crap whole. Single-payer system is what we need.

Veteran Member
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

Lol...I’m old enough I had an insurance company tell me that being an adult entertainer was a preexsiting condition. Tragic. I assume they thought I was sucking and fucking random guys.

I got Obamacare, but then I had to file taxes and now my job is on paper (facepalm).

I’ll probably just get a day job with benefits and work part time. After my bills and taxes were paid, I had hardly an extra income. I also got sexually transmitted debt which Should be paid off this year. So I should actually have extra money next year as long as nothing goes wrong (but if Murphy keeps knocking I don’t know what I’m gonna do). I know I can’t afford to date anymore.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910