Thread: Stripping vs. Serving?

Thanks

Default Stripping vs. Serving?

I've been dancing for over 2 years now while holding a vanilla job. I've recently started looking for a new vanilla job and got called back for a nighttime serving position at an Applebee's (super busy, good money area). I've wanted to get into serving as more a long-term job to finish school.

If I were to take it, I would either have to quit or severely reduce my dancing schedule (dayshift is not an option). Has anyone gone from dancing to serving or vice-versa? Is the money comparable? I'm only used to 120-350/night, average 230 (I only work 4-5 hours tho) so it's not like I'm in high-earning area, I feel as if I may actually make /more/ serving (just longer shifts).

Any experience/input?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SammiMinasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Stripping vs. Serving?

I always found stripping a lot less stressful than serving even if the money is similar. But if thats what you rather do go for it!

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to moonangelko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,877 Times in 6,298 Posts
    My Mood
    Doh

I think you'll make about the same, w/much more work/aggravation..it may be busy the restaurant but that doesn't mean everyone tips fairly.
    & yea the club can be slow too, but me I'd lean toward dancing.
    Just my opinion

Quote HK: Remember, dick gets hard, brain shuts off, money flows from the pocket.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whirlerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My Mood
    Cheeky

ive never served only stripped for a lil over a year, but one thing ive noticed i love about stripping is if i dont like you i dont have to talk or even act like i like you lol. i have a hard time watching my mouth so one thing im gonna miss when the stripper run is over is that i can say/do whatever i want and dont have to worry about getting a talking to from management lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,195 Times in 2,616 Posts

If you work in a good, upscale restaurant you could probably clear $100/night minimum. Here the fancy places are good for $2-$300 on weekend nights. But yeah, they are hella stressful. I used to get yelled at if my shirt wasn't starched/ironed heavily enough!

I would say tell the restaurant you're available Thurs-Sun when they're busy, and then dance Monday/Tuesday. Dancing you always have a chance of hitting a whale, and you can accumulate regulars.
    Got nothing to say... but if you pay me, I can play the fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Julia
    Sex work is for people who do whatever they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Ok so i gotta turn up the moronic drunk slut

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selina M For This Useful Post:

Thanks

You'll make more money with less hassle and more control over your income with stripping. The customers are nicer, too. I served for about a year and I have friends who are still servers and the amount of disrespect and degradation from customers and bosses, not to mention sexual harassment you'd get fired for reporting, is unreal. You have more control over that with stripping, in general. I personally would just move clubs around if you're bored or something

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,715 Times in 2,638 Posts

You can always try out serving and quit to return to dancing if you find it's not for you. The great thing about both industries is that neither will judge you for doing that.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanna dior For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanna dior View Post
    You can always try out serving and quit to return to dancing if you find it's not for you. The great thing about both industries is that neither will judge you for doing that.
    So far the verdict seems like dancing > serving but yeah, it is nice knowing I can always go MIA at the club and return. Where I'm at, I can disappear for weeks or months without question. I'm mostly concerned about the money rather than the customer bs, I get enough at my vanilla job I'm used to it. Plus I wouldn't mind having to work more hours, the cardio is good for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 874 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

I danced and served at both a restaurant and a strip club. Dancing is better!. The restaurant was a lot of bullshit and very hard work id did not last long, the trays of food are very heavy too and sometimes people tipped bad. the club was better you can make good money but it can still be fun and you can have regulars that always use you as there server, but some nights I just wanted to go early but you have to stay and clean up club and the other stripclub bs too. just try and see what you like.
    xoxo

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,535 Times in 1,067 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Sorry... kind of long answer but I am trying to help you from my experience:

The reason I started dancing was because I was in school full time, working 3-5 shifts at a high-end restaurant in a city known around the continent for it's food AND a famous chef, ($25-$30 a plate) as well as cocktail waitressing at a busy-ass bar 2 -3 shifts a week. I always worked at least 5 days, sometimes 2 jobs in one day while taking 5 classes. I lived with a friend's family so really no rent but some utilities and drove a Hyundai that was paid off. I could not pay my bills, despite not knowing what actual bills looked like, so I went to a financial advisor (19 year old me was responsible as fuck). He told me I had 2 choices: work more (pick up more shifts) or cut back school to part time. I was probably doing 800 -1200 a week.

Went home and my friend suggested I try dancing (I had my boobs done already; which was her most valid point). I quit the restaurant after my first week of dancing and the bar job like 3 weeks later. Within 6 weeks of dancing I was averaging 2500 a week. Within 8 months or so of dancing I had gotten my own 3 bedroom apartment, furnished it, paid off all my credit card debt (about 8,000) and gotten a BMW. I also had enough money saved to move to Miami after going there on vacation about 3 or 4 times in that time. I don't think in seven years of dancing I EVER did more than 4 days a week (6 hour shifts) but maybe I just don't remember.

When I decided to retire from dancing I was back in school (part time only one class at a time), had a job from 9-5 in a call center, another job from 8-12 at another call center and worked as a cocktail waitress on Fridays and some Saturdays at a theater wine bar. I still made less than I did dancing but at that time I really needed to stop.

I had this weird thing about quitting when I was 25 (but I think I danced until 26 1/2) and felt like I was never going to finish college if I didn't get away from it. Now that I am done with school and a little more mature I am so dying to go back.

So, specifically if you are asking about money- I think you will make SLIGHTLY more if you keep the dancing but you really have to weigh what is more important to you right now. Is there a reason you think you can not do school and dance at the same time? Also, and I mean this in the most positive and supportive way possible; if your average is 230.00 a night you should really, really push to increase that. I know a lot of shit has changed and it is not as good as it was a few years ago but it almost is not worth it for that amount of money. You can probably do that camming. If you can make 230.00 you can CERTAINLY make 300. That is only a difference of a few dances (4 or less I would estimate).
    Last edited by Gia2608; 01-10-2017 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Confusing wording
    XoXo Gia
    Danielle Fishell (the Dish): "If the Super-Star thing doesn't work out, Gia makes a great stripper name"

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gia2608 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,354 Times in 501 Posts

Just wanted to add one positive for serving which would be having work history for later on for your resume if it matters to you. but when I was in a similar position I chose dancing and have no regrets.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to rareaspasia For This Useful Post:

Featured Member We had a rabbit like you's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,111 Times in 645 Posts
    My Mood
    Daring

Well I would hope that dancing would always be more money no matter where you live, because you're risking and doing hell of a lot more, so if it's about th money I'd stick to stripping but if you really need/want a vanilla job then serving or bar tending would be the next best option
    I've done business with men who think I'm as silly as I look; by the time they figure out I'm not, I've done got the money and gone -Dolly Parton

a motherfukin hustler kamikaze//I used to bus tables but now I sell my body

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gia2608 View Post

The reason I started dancing was because I was in school full time, working 3-5 shifts at a high-end restaurant in a city known around the continent for it's food AND a famous chef, $25-$30 a plate) as well as cocktail waitressing at a busy-ass bar 2 -3 shifts a week. I always worked at least 5 days, sometimes 2 jobs in one day while taking 5 classes. I lived with a friend's family so really no rent but some utilities and drove a Hyundai that was paid off. I could not pay my bills, despite not knowing what actual bills looked like, so I went to a financial advisor (19 year old me was responsible as fuck). He told me I had 2 choices: work more (pick up more shifts) or cut back school to part time. I was probably doing 800 -1200 a week.

Went home and my friend suggested I try dancing (I had my boobs done already; which was her most valid point). I quit the restaurant after my first week of dancing and the club job like 3 weeks later. Within 6 weeks of dancing I was averaging 2500 a week. Within 8 months or so of dancing I had gotten my own 3 bedroom apartment, furnished it, paid off all my credit card debt (about 8,000) and gotten a BMW. I also had enough money saved to move to Miami after going there on vacation about 3 or 4 times in that time. I don't think in seven years of dancing I EVER did more than 4 days a week (6 hour shifts) but maybe I just don't remember.

When I decided to retire from dancing I was back in school (part time only one class at a time), had a job from 9-5 in a call center, another job from 8-12 at another call center and worked as a cocktail waitress on Fridays and some Saturdays at a theater wine bar. I still made less than I did dancing but at that time I really needed to stop.

I had this weird thing about quitting when I was 25 (but I think I danced until 26 1/2) and felt like I was never going to finish college if I didn't get away from it. Now that I am done with school and a little more mature I am so dying to go back.

So, specifically if you are asking about money- I think you will make SLIGHTLY more if you keep the dancing but you really have to weigh what is more important to you right now. Is there a reason you think you can not do school and dance at the same time? Also, and I mean this in the most positive and supportive way possible; if your average is 230.00 a night you should really, really push to increase that. I know a lot of shit has changed and it is not as good as it was a few years ago but it almost is not worth it for that amount of money. You can probably do that camming. If you can make 230.00 you can CERTAINLY make 300. That is only a difference of a few dances (4 or less I would estimate).
    I also will like to note $230 is still better than what you may make in applebees. I say increase ur shift from 4-5 hours to 8. The difference is crazy. But i also see that ur in detroit... if you can stack ur bread nd get out of detroit, i think you'd make a lot more and ur quality of life would be better. (basing on what Mizhani has told me). It all depends on you.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moonangelko For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The reason I started dancing was because I was in school full time, working 3-5 shifts at a high-end restaurant in a city known around the continent for it's food AND a famous chef, $25-$30 a plate) as well as cocktail waitressing at a busy-ass bar 2 -3 shifts a week. I always worked at least 5 days, sometimes 2 jobs in one day while taking 5 classes. I lived with a friend's family so really no rent but some utilities and drove a Hyundai that was paid off. I could not pay my bills, despite not knowing what actual bills looked like, so I went to a financial advisor (19 year old me was responsible as fuck). He told me I had 2 choices: work more (pick up more shifts) or cut back school to part time. I was probably doing 800 -1200 a week.

Went home and my friend suggested I try dancing (I had my boobs done already; which was her most valid point). I quit the restaurant after my first week of dancing and the club job like 3 weeks later. Within 6 weeks of dancing I was averaging 2500 a week. Within 8 months or so of dancing I had gotten my own 3 bedroom apartment, furnished it, paid off all my credit card debt (about 8,000) and gotten a BMW. I also had enough money saved to move to Miami after going there on vacation about 3 or 4 times in that time. I don't think in seven years of dancing I EVER did more than 4 days a week (6 hour shifts) but maybe I just don't remember.

I also will like to note $230 is still better than what you may make in applebees. I say increase ur shift from 4-5 hours to 8. The difference is crazy. But i also see that ur in detroit... if you can stack ur bread nd get out of detroit, i think you'd make a lot more and ur quality of life would be better. (basing on what Mizhani has told me). It all depends on you.

Thanks

A key thing here is that I am a female-to-male transsexual and have been on hormones 4+ years. I've danced far longer than I expected, and would like to get out so I can get surgery sooner rather than later (I'm scared to make the job change). I'm not trying to maximize my dancing money, I have another job and school (which is why I can only do 4-5 hours, plus my club's nightshift is only 5 1/2-6 1/2 hours). I'm just trying to make the same amount so I don't feel like I have/NEED to go back to dancing, because once I have surgery, there's obviously no going back.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to SammiMinasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,195 Times in 2,616 Posts

I lived with a friend's family so really no rent but some utilities and drove a Hyundai that was paid off. I could not pay my bills, despite not knowing what actual bills looked like. I was probably doing 800 -1200 a week.
    Ok I gotta ask, with all due respect, how? Like... 19 year old me with only a $240 car payment would have been popping bottles on $800/week (you know what I mean, lol). Hell, I could still pay my adult bills & save an emergency fund on that amount. I'm literally confused here.

Anyway, OP, if the ultimate goal is to get out of dancing NOW and you're willing to do whatever it takes, maybe you should be thinking more long-term.
    Do you have a career in mind? It looks like you need to make about $900/week to equal your dancing money. You may have to get a day job in whatever field you're interested in; that should hopefully come with health insurance & maybe some retirement contributions or other benefits, plus potential to move up the salary ladder; and maybe wait tables a couple nights a week.
    Got nothing to say... but if you pay me, I can play the fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Julia
    Sex work is for people who do whatever they want.
    Quote Originally Posted by crystalize View Post
    Ok so i gotta turn up the moronic drunk slut

Thanks
    Thanked 2,535 Times in 1,067 Posts
    My Mood
    Cheerful

Selina, in the situation above my tuition was approx. 2500/ mo. I guess I left that out. At that time my spending was curtailed. I made good money, had bullshit/little bills and was still struggling. I know dancing is not always the answer for every girl but my point is that my bills at 19 were a joke compared to now.
    XoXo Gia
    Danielle Fishell (the Dish): "If the Super-Star thing doesn't work out, Gia makes a great stripper name"

Thanks
    Thanked 5,629 Times in 2,239 Posts

I don't think I could go back to the restaurant business but that's just me. Bartending might treat you better.

Also Security guard jobs let you do homework & have some solitude.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsr...k&spfreload=10
    "They're a bit strange in Los Angeles" Duckie, "NCIS"I've walked in L.A.. It was to my car, so I could drive in L.A..

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SnuffleUffleGrass For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,069 Times in 2,560 Posts
    My Mood
    Sleepy

All other things being equal, my gut reaction would always be to do dancing over serving. Even at a take-home rate that seems less than most strip clubs, you'll still probably be making more than you would serving. I don't know where you live, if it's a place where Applebee's employees are swamped and making good money, but I used to date a bartender at Applebee's and his 2 roommates were servers. Key word here: roommates. These people, even with him bartending, were not making enough money to be self-sufficient at almost 30 years old to not have to share a 2-bedroom apartment. And they really didn't have much if any savings.

If you were going to be serving at a super upscale restaurant, you might make better money, but at a normal chain like that, breaking more than $100 a night is usually considered a good night. The weekends might be slightly better. But also keep in mind, you probably won't be given those prime night/weekend shifts off the bat - they'll make you work your way up from lunch shift on weekdays or something. You'll still make far more dancing. And high end restaurants, while better money, are super strict, with entitled customers, and just all around a pain to work at. I second Selina's comment about getting yelled at if my shirt wasn't ironed properly -_-

BUT if you're trying to transition out of dancing, that introduces a different set of incentives, and only you can make the choice if it's worth it. My final thoughts on whether it will replace your dancing income is: probably not entirely. 230/night might be slow for a strip club, but it would be an abnormally high night in a restaurant for most mid-tier places. Also keep in mind that you are making that 230 in approximately 6 hours while serving shifts will definitely be longer.

Also: everyone warns against drinking in strip clubs, but IME, drinking is just as big if not BIGGER in restaurants. Every person I knew from Applebee's was a huge drinker, and I think it was harder to stay away from it in the serving industry than in a strip club - at a SC, you don't have to be friends with your coworkers, but when you work in an industry where everyone is all up in each other's business (serving), you'll be expected to hang out and socialize, otherwise you'll be the weirdo that nobody wants to help out when you need it. Not that you must drink to be a server or that you'll personally cave under peer pressure, but it's something to consider - from a perspective of brand new peer relations, money spent on alcohol, and health.

If you already have another job for a resume and are relatively close to getting a new, better job anyway with school (I don't know how far along you are), I would personally stick with the dancing for a little while longer. But I don't know how close you are to finishing school or how desperately you want to get the surgery done. Those are big things that might change your mind. In terms of numbers though - dancing is still going to outweigh serving most nights and be less stressful in terms of hours and people being up in your business.
    Last edited by Aurora_Sunset; 01-07-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Don't try to win over the haters. You are not the Jerk Whisperer.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aurora_Sunset For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 508 Posts

I did both. I hated serving, I loved dancing. The money and the schedule are right. Dancing isn't for everyone though. To each her own.

XOXO
    Z

Banned
    I decided I am going to keep him! Thanks for asking!
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by shanna dior View Post
    Definitely this. You won't know until you try the serving job.

I think Hooters would make more money though...and I know if you work at Golden Corral as a server... you would make bank! *location varies and everything else varies*.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 874 Posts
    My Mood
    Blah

Girls who I waitressed with at Stripclub sais working at hooters was hell, they would have to hangout with the guys for ages to try and get a good tip, girls would give their numbers out too and be competitive . sounded like too much bother for me.
    xoxo

37. The Following User Says Thank You to chanzep For This Useful Post:

Banned
    I decided I am going to keep him! Thanks for asking!
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Oh, that's totally believable... "real life" and "work" are two different things. I am not ever going to be 'emotional' friends with co-workers or customers. I thought it was possibility, but professionalism is everything for me. Screw that... too much work for that kind of pay.

Plus, friends tend to "disappear" and drop you when you become irrelevant. I rather be professional and know exactly where it all stands. Sharing phone numbers with customers *in the service industry*.... not my thing.