Thread: Health Insurance?

Thanks

Default Health Insurance?

So...it's all well and good to have health insurance. However, it makes me so upset that I pay $220/month (based on my declared income). For that, I get one free physical a year. Wooohooo, lolz. But any tests, the doctor wants to add, I still get like, a $60 bill two months later. As an independent contractor, I can deduct that monthly premium off my taxes and pay any extra bills received with an hsa, but I can't help thinking how much money is being wasted on this stupid scam of a health insurance system we have. I understand obamacare made it better but still, obamacare is subsidizing the private sector which gouges ppl for $$$ to fill up their pockets. Since I moved back to LA, I'm not making as much and hussling my tail off; when you factor in the cost of driving, my bills are on par with what they were in SF and what they would be in NYC given the kind of modest lifestyle I prefer. So I'm just thinking I don't even know if this is even worth it.

I decided I am going to keep him! Thanks for asking!
    Thanks
    My Mood
    Fine

Default Re: Health Insurance?

I don't think it sounds fair at all.

Thanks

If you're not exempt from the tax penalty, you can calculate if it's worth it to pay the penalty instead (the higher figure of: 2.5% of income or $695). But yes, that's the bad part of the individual mandate: enforced sharing of risk and cost.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,734 Times in 1,919 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Actually zero, Obamacare made it much worse. Premiums have skyrocketed and so have deductibles, which is why you are now paying over $2,600 per year for an essentially useless policy. Policies were far cheaper before all of the mandates kicked in.

If you are young and healthy, you might want to seriously consider whether paying the penalty is a more financially sound move. You can always pay for an annual physical out of pocket and there are urgent care clinics springing up all around that charge $100 to $200 for minor injury or illness visits.

God/dess
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,166 Times in 1,975 Posts

Would you consider taking a part-time job in addition to dancing? There are some employers who offer health insurance to part-time employees. You'll also have some extra spending money. Here are a few:

http://www.moneycrashers.com/part-ti...ance-benefits/