Thread: New version British Passport ID Problem

Thanks

Default New version British Passport ID Problem

I have been camming for years and never had an issue with ID, my new passport though is not being accepted by 2 sites, Streammate and Camcontacts, they say that the pictures are not high resolution enough. Files are 2.3mb each and super clear and sharp on my pc, I can literally read every word and number. The bit that is not as clear is my photograph, as the new passports don't have a photograph stuck on the passport as they used to have, but a scan of it, covered in plastic with a hologram on the top. When I compare my new and old passport you can see a huge difference in quality of the photograph, but I cant change this as it's just how the new passports are. You can see it is definitely me though.

I am at my wits end on how to get this ID accepted. Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,244 Times in 1,623 Posts
    My Mood
    Tired

Default Re: New version British Passport ID Problem

Mmm! I have a newish passport with the photograph like that and have never had a problem getting it accepted. Is it the photo format that is a problem? Or some websites don't like you to crop it too closely, they want to see a little space around the passport itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnylexie View Post
    The morale of the story: trying to please everyone is a thankless job. Try pissing everyone off instead: you'll have more fun that way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vlodina For This Useful Post:

Thanks

They are jpegs, not cropped, showing all sides of the passport, but I admit, I think the photo on the passport is not great, it is a bit pixelated and fuzzy, but that's what the passport office sent me. I had the photo professionally taken and the original is very clear.
    Could it be that 2.3mb files are too small and I need to find someone to take the pics with a camera with a higher resolution. Its so odd as I have done so many ID pictures in the past and never had this happen.

Veteran Member
    Thanks

hmm i dont think they've done the stick on picture thing in well over 10 years at least! :/ what have you used previously as ID? and has it been accepted on other sites?

Thanks

I literally just got the new one, so mine must have been one of the last to have the picture then. I will try a friend who has a digital SLR, and see if that make the difference.

Featured Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,430 Times in 981 Posts
    My Mood
    Amused

Melissa you need to photograph it so that you dont get glare back from the hologram. This is a bit figity but it can be done you just have to try different lighting and try slightly different angles. Make sure there is no flash on your camera and if possible use a camera to photo graph them. I have to do this with mine because of this issue. If your doing the image of the passport beside your face then have someone help you to take the picture cause it will take a few tries.

I think what they mean by the photo being HD is that your face on the passport is to obscured by the hologram. My Canadian one has had this for the last few years but when I first got it I had the same problem and had to figit with picture taking until I got one where my image was clear and not obscured by the hologram

For more help contact Liz directly and ask her what you need to do.
    "In the future, there will be no female leaders. There will just be leaders." - Sheryl Sandberg

Thanks

Just found out camcontacts are OK with the passport picture, but need another of me holding the passport.

Streammate I will have to have another go, I just got my husband to take the picture of me holding the passport for them in different light, and will see if this makes the difference, no reflection on the hologram, but there wasn't in my original one. I guess that they have got stricter in standards of photos since the last time I did this.

Thanks for your replies

9. The Following User Says Thank You to melissaking For This Useful Post: