Thread: Retirement plan?

Thanks

Default Retirement plan?

I'm curious if any of you ladies or gentlemen have a retirement plan? 5 yr retirement plan, 10 yr retirement plan, etc. I figured I would come here first & hear what steps you guys have taken, what your plan looks like, what your end goal looks like? Thanks for any input! Hope to start a conversation with you guys!

Thanks

Default Re: Retirement plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sdfkhsarah View Post
    I'm curious if any of you ladies or gentlemen have a retirement plan? 5 yr retirement plan, 10 yr retirement plan, etc. I figured I would come here first & hear what steps you guys have taken, what your plan looks like, what your end goal looks like? Thanks for any input! Hope to start a conversation with you guys!
    bump..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 529 Posts

Dancing is a very short term career. Take as much money as you can from your dancing earnings and invest it. Save 30% of your nightly take home for taxes and you'll be happy on every April 15. Live on as little as possible. Save as much as possible.

There are lots of investment guides and strategies. Don't buy individual company shares unless you do your research. That said, my personally managed portfolio has almost always out performed the market. But, that's because I love learning about the businesses I invest in and I have a buy and hold strategy. I am 37, I'm long retired from dancing, though not from work. I own my own business. I have investments and I have enough money in my daughter's 529 fund to pay for the full ride at a good college for her. I put money in my company 401(k) every year and I invest that money in a low cost no load Fortune 500 mutual fund, for the most part. A small percentage I usually keep in a federal bond fund. But, it seems like every year when I do re-allocations I end up moving the money from the federal income fund to the mutual fund. The rest of my "retirement" is invested either in my own business or my personal fund. The personal portfolio only has three issue in it. Like I say, I've out-performed teh market for years. But, I know those three companies better than anyone but their top management.

HTH
    Z

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zofia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 527 Posts

I invest in a roth IRA, self employed 401k, buy mutual funds/ETFs, diversify portfolio, and my health. Health because preventing problems will save me a lot of $$$ in the long run.

Weekly earning target: $1000
    Saving for: school, traveling, rainy day fund

Quote Originally Posted by charlie61 View Post
    What would "future you" want you to do right now?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cashmere Star For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Bump! Can anyone recommend a good website for dummies to learn about investing and such? I have no clue what Questions I should ask at the bank about an IRA fund, or what any of that actually is. My shortterm goal in the next 5 years is to buy a house and I want to be as prepared as possible. I only say this because I've made pretty god money at my club, but due to recent bumps in the road I've haf to reach into my stash. I counted it the other day and was really disappointed in myself. So I'm looking into an acct. I can deposit and not touch. But first I need to educate myself on the options available to me.
    Lola